HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 3:11 PM
World Machine

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that the entire thing, or is there more. (If it is the whole thing, it's a lot smaller than described in the text).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 9:06 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

No!! That's just the world I think.. It's hideous isn't it!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:10 AM
master of geography

Question not sustainable

Man, this is mere a stupid theme park, as all the other stupid parks within the US. You can see how good for example Disneyworld Paris runs. I guess no European would even recognize or care if DW Paris would be closed down. On one hand we like to be more mentally educated, through theaters, museums, history and culture. Do not get me wrong, I do like 3D Cinema, Rollercoaster’s, fast Rides and Wet & Wild. But I see this just as a way to suck not as well educated people’s money. I would also not misprice the drug rush effect of such rides and parks, that make many people so addicted.
Dubailand will just be one more of these time-wasting once in a lifetime attractions, where you eventually spend 3 days at. It will not be different from Disneyworld Orlando (MGM) and Universal Studios - I am curious about their so called "Edutainment Park" - simply it is newer and bigger.
It’s just depressing to see people wasting money for so meaningless investments, I thing the urban planning authority of Sharjah would find a better way to spend that money - for smarter public and leisure use. But of course it belongs to each successful economic and leisure infrastructure cluster (shared business, suscipient business, interconnection possibility). But wouldn’t more >>> smaller parks <<< be better and more ecologic, sustainable … integrate able - than one gigantic separated “park” - town alike? I guess, also the owner-structure would not be so oligopolistic then. Plus other related vantages of smaller parks. I like more individual things, …
Regards, Jens

Last edited by Sky Tower; Jan 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM. Reason: No personal advertising allowed. Use signature instead.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:36 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

finally somebody who agrees with me!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:57 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Make Me Barf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
AL BAWADI
I think the look on both tourist's faces explains what most of the modern world will be thinking if something like this is built. A duplicate of every known famous skyscraper, architectural achievement, etc.... I see they even put a copy of the Burj Dubai in there as well in the other pics... so Dubai will have 2 Burj Dubai's?

I even noticed that the statue of Liberty is in one of the models. No offense, and I think most American's would back me up on it, but I don't think Dubai has earned the right to have even a replica of the statue of liberty anywhere in it's country.

This project is of such poor taste, I don't think you'd be able to attract many American tourists, or even European tourists for that matter, with this type of development. (I'm surprised I didn't even see the Sears Tower mixed in their with the other towers.)

Yes, I realize that Las Vegas does many of the same things ( New York, New York - Paris - The Venetian ) but at least they spend some decent money and make it look good. Plus I already expect tacky things like that from Las Vegas anyways... so don't use that in any arguments to back up the heaping pile of **** that is this AL BAWADI project.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 8:14 AM

This Al Bawadi project or whatever it is called, is absurd.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison View Post
I think the look on both tourist's faces explains what most of the modern world will be thinking if something like this is built. A duplicate of every known famous skyscraper, architectural achievement, etc.... I see they even put a copy of the Burj Dubai in there as well in the other pics... so Dubai will have 2 Burj Dubai's?

I even noticed that the statue of Liberty is in one of the models. No offense, and I think most American's would back me up on it, but I don't think Dubai has earned the right to have even a replica of the statue of liberty anywhere in it's country.

This project is of such poor taste, I don't think you'd be able to attract many American tourists, or even European tourists for that matter, with this type of development. (I'm surprised I didn't even see the Sears Tower mixed in their with the other towers.)

Yes, I realize that Las Vegas does many of the same things ( New York, New York - Paris - The Venetian ) but at least they spend some decent money and make it look good. Plus I already expect tacky things like that from Las Vegas anyways... so don't use that in any arguments to back up the heaping pile of **** that is this AL BAWADI project.
No one is trying to atract American tourists, they aren't the biggest international travellers nor the biggest spenders ... as for the rest of your post, quoting you here: is just a "pile of **** ".

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:06 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I will back you up all the way. They have models of the Statue of Liberty, ESB, Chrysler. Just makes me sick. Who are they to build stuff like this. Now little kids going there will think that what they see is the real deal when in reality it is nothing more than glue, paperclips, and carboard made to look like an illusion.

They should spend more time building there own icons rather than using others. They already got the Burj, but there is so much more room for more Dubai icons. Focus on them.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 7:33 PM

Dubai is becoming a yawn. Seriously.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 9:32 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

In fairness, that model was made like that probably for shock value. The latest renders actually show no replicas but that model sure made everybody talking about it. As they say any advertising is good advertising

Latest images:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 1:23 AM
World Machine

I'm not impressed by those renders. Looks like another city rather than a theme park.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 3:29 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I disagree Dac, those renderings are amazing. So well done they almost look real!

I still think this thing is a joke but the renderings actually made me like this thing a little bit more. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Hope all the buildings glow for reals like on the renders.

The structures are ugly. Why aren't those pointy towers on the diagram page of Dubai? Actually, the diagram page of Dubai is missing quite a number of buildings in Dubai. I would like for someone to draw these and a whole bunch of other towers so it's easier to compare heights.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:29 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
No one is trying to atract American tourists, they aren't the biggest international travellers nor the biggest spenders ... as for the rest of your post, quoting you here: is just a "pile of **** ".
That, in itself, is an outright lie. Money is money, whether it comes from American, European, Asian, or any other tourists for that matter. Don't be absurd. It's also been stated numerous times before that tourism is one of the main economic models they are trying to move to. If you disagree with me, at least try to counter with something rational than stating "the rest of your post is just a pile of ****".

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 8:43 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
The structures are ugly. Why aren't those pointy towers on the diagram page of Dubai? Actually, the diagram page of Dubai is missing quite a number of buildings in Dubai. I would like for someone to draw these and a whole bunch of other towers so it's easier to compare heights.
Because we don't actually have any heights for them yet. We don't even know what their exact design is yet.

The scale of this bawadi thing is beyond comprehension and what bothers me. Sure Dubai might need this amount of hotel rooms to be built overall but aren't they forgetting about the palms, all the new SZR hotels, hotels in the marina, and lots more hotels elsewhere in the city?
Also given that this entire area and the area around it is now empty desert how do they expect it to take off? Once the first hotel is built why would anyone stay there when there is nothing to do? At least if it was next to the beach there'd be a reason but unless they offer insanely low rates I don't see how this can work.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 3:05 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I disagree Dac, those renderings are amazing. So well done they almost look real!
I'm not saying that the renders themselves are not impressive, but the complex looks like a place I'd go to work rather than go for fun. If anything that might be the main drag for the entire place (like a "Main Street USA" in Disney World). It's still too early.

As far as the hotels go, they need to time them so that they will be completed when the theme park will. Otherwise the only people who will stay in them are families who like big constriction sites.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 4:58 PM

those renderings look awesome.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 5:20 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
That, in itself, is an outright lie. Money is money, whether it comes from American, European, Asian, or any other tourists for that matter. Don't be absurd. It's also been stated numerous times before that tourism is one of the main economic models they are trying to move to. If you disagree with me, at least try to counter with something rational than stating "the rest of your post is just a pile of ****".

You're right. In some thread somewhere I read that they're wasting as much (or more) money as all the skyscrapers in the U.S. being built. That's a lot of money!!1 All the projects in the U.S. being built in one city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Because we don't actually have any heights for them yet. We don't even know what their exact design is yet.

The scale of this bawadi thing is beyond comprehension and what bothers me. Sure Dubai might need this amount of hotel rooms to be built overall but aren't they forgetting about the palms, all the new SZR hotels, hotels in the marina, and lots more hotels elsewhere in the city?
Also given that this entire area and the area around it is now empty desert how do they expect it to take off? Once the first hotel is built why would anyone stay there when there is nothing to do? At least if it was next to the beach there'd be a reason but unless they offer insanely low rates I don't see how this can work.
I think that they're going to have cheap-er hotels like you stated but not incredibly low ones. Besides the theme-park I'm guessing they might add Sea-Dubai (water park like Sea-World). They're probably going to make the largest artificial beach on Earth in this park.

Those sidewalks are incredibly HUGEEEE!!!!
The only thing I seem to like is the red blob on the last render.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 3:35 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Can anyone here find the "Aqua Dunya" logo?

I'm collecting all of the official logos for all the projects in dubai and I have over 300 already for the upcoming, new and improved DMP website.

I've seen the logo in pics of the mockup sets before but I can't find the official one anywhere on the interweb.

Please post a URL if you have any joy

Cheers

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 7:07 AM

just amazing .

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
Guess Who's Back?

So, after waiting patiently at my computer for an answer for 3 and a half years...I guess the answer in NO! LOL

Does anyone have any updates on the F1-X project?
On hold obviously, but is it shelved?

As an F1 fan it was by far my favourite proposal for Dubailand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa