HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 9:17 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post

the bridge in Rotterdam come always comes to mind. They took the cable stay bridge and made something unique out of it, rather than just another cable stay bridge.
Good lord. That's... that's... well, it's... it's stunning. I'm speechless. Wow.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:04 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I've been on that bridge, too. Its really neat, but I dont think I took any pictures on it!

2 lanes + 2 lightrail tracks + enormously wide bicycle and ped paths on each side = awesomeness.

Also, it has a bascule/drawbridge section AND the cable-stayed length.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
Bears of antiquity

I'll post this in both threads: The Cable-Stayed 2-pier version was selected for the Willamette crossing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 12:05 AM

This one?:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Bears of antiquity

Yeah-- unless I read wrong.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 4:45 AM

What ever happened to the Portland Spaces blog rumoring a light rail bridge with a "market" in the middle of the bridge?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
This one?:

How often do I get to look at it from that point of view?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:40 AM

^ Parasailing?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:50 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
How often do I get to look at it from that point of view?
whenever you jump off the Ross Island bridge?

I like it, I think it will be a good addition for Portland.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 8:33 AM
shozbot!

^^ This will be a nice addition for Portland. I hope it doesn't get delayed much from money problems because of the economy and the fact that the interstate and pedestrian bridges are also being planned, which we need.

Love the cable-stayed design. The pylons holding the cables could go as high as 200 ft. and the bridge (over troubled water!) will be between 65 and 75 ft. over the Willamette. High enough to allow tugs and other vessels to clear w/ no problem. Compare that to the Marquam at 130 ft. and the Hawthorne at only 49 ft.

Lookin' forward to this....Any timelines on start/const. and completion?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
What ever happened to the Portland Spaces blog rumoring a light rail bridge with a "market" in the middle of the bridge?

That would really be something. A market might be a stretch, but an area for vendors, buskers (street musicians), and people to hang out and enjoy the view might help turn the bridge into a real destination instead of just something to cross over; and be a better "social bridge" with the east side as well.

I wish they would consider a "something in the middle" approach with the Columbia River Crossing too- a place that arches over the traffic lanes to have an afterwork beverage/bite on the way home north and enjoy the view, as well as an incentive to take light rail as there would be no parking.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:30 PM

It’s a dream, but I'd argue for this to be housing as well. Think of those enclosed bridges in Venice, just much larger with the max and driveway for parking under the housing area. You could have a walk way/emergency lane in-between two sets of two story homes with some restaurants mixed in for views. Just think of the views from the homes and retail. It would be stunning.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 10:54 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
It’s a dream, but I'd argue for this to be housing as well. Think of those enclosed bridges in Venice, just much larger with the max and driveway for parking under the housing area. You could have a walk way/emergency lane in-between two sets of two story homes with some restaurants mixed in for views. Just think of the views from the homes and retail. It would be stunning.
Not only is it a dream, but completely unrealistic.

Electric power for homes and business, water lines, sewer lines, telephone lines, cable TV lines, and all sorts of other infrastructure would have to be run on the bridge. Which means you'll have to make the bridge stronger and much more expensive. What's so wrong building just a bridge?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 1:26 AM

i agree, this idea is completely ridiculous. has anyone ever walked across any of our bridges? out over the middle of the river it's quite windy, which equals 'cold' in winter. plus, for a very long time, this bridge will start and end just about in the middle of nowhere. and housing? aside from the infrastructure it would require, you'd have insane heating bills, because of the lack of insulation underneath - and again, this housing would be in the middle of nowhere. the train won't be stopping on the bridge, so being "near" max would be of no advantage. etc, etc.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:16 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

You guys can't be serious

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCtyRoks View Post
Lookin' forward to this....Any timelines on start/const. and completion?
I hope it's soon, I'd love to see some newer-looking bridges around here. I hope the Sellwood replacement looks awesome too. I'd pay some extra gas taxes for a nicer looking bridge.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:53 AM

Open houses are scheduled for light-rail project

POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Wednesday, February 11, 2009
BY DJC STAFF

The first of three open houses for the Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Project will be held on Feb. 20 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The open house will provide updates on the project and related elements, including the new Willamette River transit bridge, engineering details, project timeline and the Final Environmental Impact Statement. The meeting will be held at the Portland Building, Room C, 1120 S.W. Fifth Ave., in Portland.

The next two meetings will be held on March 4 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Rose Villa, 13505 S.E. River Road, in Oak Grove and on March 10 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at St. Philip Neri Church, 2804 S.E. 16th Ave., in Portland.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 6:36 AM

Portland has designs on a new bridge
by Dylan Rivera, The Oregonian
Wednesday March 04, 2009, 9:31 PM

An artist's rendering shows the favored design for the first Willamette River bridge in downtown Portland in more than 30 years. A combination of a cable-stayed bridge and a suspension bridge, it pays tribute to the St. Johns Bridge in North Portland.

After months of wrangling, after all the chatter about a Willamette River bridge that could look like a clothespin or even a wave, Portland's design experts have spoken. The first downtown Willamette crossing in more than three decades should instead be a sleekly modern-yet-modest update of the much-loved St. Johns Bridge.

Intended to carry a new MAX light-rail line between Portland State University and Milwaukie, to the southeast, the bridge would be a hybrid of a cable-stay and a suspension structure, like the celebrated Brooklyn Bridge but without stonework or Gothic arches.

The design won a strong endorsement from the Portland Design Commission and a TriMet advisory committee headed by former Portland Mayor Vera Katz.

"It provides both the elegance of the St. Johns Bridge and the modernity of the cable-stayed idea, and it ends up being a unique bridge to Portland's collection of bridges," said Lloyd Lindley, chairman of the Portland Design Commission. "It's a great contemporary spin on a classic idea."

The selection has emerged as a way to combine inspired architecture and cost efficiencies in what will likely become a landmark for downtown and the region's mass transit system. Yet TriMet, weathering cost overruns on a Washington County rail project, remains nervous about anything that deviates from bridges of more common design -- and lower cost.

When it opens in 2015, the bridge will carry the new MAX light-rail line, the Portland Streetcar, buses, bicycles and pedestrians -- but no cars. Construction of the $1.4 billion light-rail line would start in 2011, with stops in Southeast Portland and the burgeoning South Waterfront area.

The bridge is expected to take up to $134 million to build.

TriMet had intended to present to the public a handful of different bridge types -- arches, cable-stayed, and perhaps a low, wavy design -- by December. An advisory committee chaired by Katz considered them all and more since last summer and found itself unable to agree on a handful.

the article goes on, with many more pictures:
http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen..._on_a_new.html

Light-rail project

Steering committee meeting
3:30 to 5 p.m. today
Metro Regional Center
600 N.E. Grand Ave., Room 370 AB
Portland

Southeast Portland Open House
Tuesday, March 10
5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
St. Philip Neri Church
2804 S.E. 16th Ave.

Portland Planning Commission, Tuesday

Portland City Council briefing March 12

Metro Council briefing March 19

April: Steering Committee adopts final bridge type

For more information: trimet.org/pm

Last edited by sowat; Mar 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:41 PM
A before E

is it me or is the design of this new bridge becoming less inspiring? It definitely is no Fremont Bridge.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:54 PM

I like it. It has a smaller scale because of it's pedestrian nature and ADA requirements, but it has a nice elegant structure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure