HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 10:05 PM
Baryonic Lord

Yes this is true. My cousin just bought some land there. He saw the value quadruple overnight.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 10:38 PM
giggity giggity goo

Did they actually start construction on the park yet? Last I heard there was no work being done.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Did they actually start construction on the park yet? Last I heard there was no work being done.
If you're talking about Earth Quest Adventures, then no, it hasn't started yet. The Earth Quest post is in the wrong thread (it's in this one).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 11:00 PM

Retro-fitted green roofs are easily done. Just look at Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 11:01 PM

double

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 2:09 AM

hey guys I notice that recently a parking lon in the corner of Milam & Jefferson has been gaten and looks like it's being prepared for some type of construction... just a lito thought that ran through me head

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 5:48 AM
giggity giggity goo

That is where the YMCA plans to build their new facility. There was another post on here somewhere with renderings for the new building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
I'm definitely wondering about OPP's lighting scheme now. And I have to wonder... whatever happened to the all green lighting on the Wedge tower!! We must have gotten cheap all of a sudden. It's time for this city to light up again!
Wedge hasn't been fully illuminated in a very long time. Only the top borders get lit up now, but even that is a rare sight & mostly during holiday season. I wish they would light up the whole thing again that would be awesome.

The original tower wasn't designed with that green lighting. It wasn't even added until several years after the building was completed & was copied after BOA in Dallas.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 12:11 AM
Endless Moments...

I went for a bike ride today. To my surprise, they were adding another crane at Discovery Towers work site. Didnt get a picture, sorry. But the site looks awesome...

So now there are now 2 cranes for Discovery Tower and 2 for Main Place. I have to see they look kewl. DT very much moving forward...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Wedge hasn't been fully illuminated in a very long time. Only the top borders get lit up now, but even that is a rare sight & mostly during holiday season. I wish they would light up the whole thing again that would be awesome.

The original tower wasn't designed with that green lighting. It wasn't even added until several years after the building was completed & was copied after BOA in Dallas.

I fould this night picture, and shows the lighting scheme for the wedge tower, it looks nice. i Have to say i wish DT was lit up like that now. I have never seen it before, they should bring it back. It looks awesome.

pic from: 2008 Eventful, Inc.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 3:13 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

^^^Wedge needs to turn its lights back on!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 7:25 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
I fould this night picture, and shows the lighting scheme for the wedge tower, it looks nice. i Have to say i wish DT was lit up like that now. I have never seen it before, they should bring it back. It looks awesome.

pic from: 2008 Eventful, Inc.
Those were the good old days... never to return. Thanks to high energy prices, our reliance on fossil fuels. All perpetuated by bush-cheney-bigoil.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 2:59 PM
Endless Moments...

Some updates from yesterday.

Main Place...

Discovery Tower...

Coming along nicely...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:38 PM

I can't recall...

Main Place is tunnel-connected correct? Is Discovery Tower???

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 12:02 AM
Endless Moments...

Main Place will be connected to the tunnel. While Discovery Tower will be not...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
Those were the good old days... never to return. Thanks to high energy prices, our reliance on fossil fuels. All perpetuated by bush-cheney-bigoil.
None of that had anything to do with Wedge turning its lights off.

Neon lighting is not cheap to maintain, especially that much of it. Hail storms, lightning, & high winds are notorious for breaking the fragile glass tubes that high up in the air.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 11:27 PM
Ya Dig!!

Both these towers are going to rise FAST.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:53 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
None of that had anything to do with Wedge turning its lights off.

Neon lighting is not cheap to maintain, especially that much of it. Hail storms, lightning, & high winds are notorious for breaking the fragile glass tubes that high up in the air.
Yep. Our 4th tallest (the one with the blue lights) took a beating back in May with 70 mph winds and baseball sized hail. A bunch of the lights were busted out. Several skyscrapers had broken glass. The Frost Bank Tower had at least one piece of glass busted out in the crown, and even the Capitol had a few windows broken out in the upper part of the dome.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 11:40 PM

Discovery Tower will be finished for the summer 2010. That's what the sign at the construction site says.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 2:03 PM

http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_..._id=1224536353

GRB Goes Green

October 20, 2008

by: Laurie Johnson

Houston's Convention Center is going solar-powered.the pilot project will test the feasibility of using solar panels to power the city's largest buildings. Laurie Johnson reports.

> click here to listen

Two types of panels will be installed on the 16-acre roof of the George R Brown Convention Center.

Thin film panels will lie flat against the roof. Larger panels that resemble windows will be mounted at angles along the edges of the building.

Houston Mayor Bill White says the $1 million project is funded primarily by the Houston Endowment.

"Our utility bills have gone up. We are more and more aware, in part because of pioneering work funded by the Houston Endowment, of the need to have clean air and what we do to clean that air. And we are a city that likes to be affordable, which means that we want to make investments that reduce our operating costs over the long run. Solar panels do that."

The design for the solar roof was put together by the Houston Architecture Foundation. Bryan Malarkey says they want the solar panels to be able to function in times when regular power sources are unavailable, like during hurricanes.

"They perform very, very well. They are designed to take a certain amount of hail damage, wind...and we are definitely taking that into consideration in hindsight of what's just happened here."

The current plan is to use the solar panels to power the GRB's emergency lighting system.

If the pilot project is successful, the city plans to install enough panels to provide 20 percent of all energy used at the GRB.

Laurie Johnson. Houston Public Radio News.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral