HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'd say its time for a new look behind the Wildcats bench.
Perhaps.

I was at the game last night too The Cats were done in by poor goaltending by Lavallee in the first period, and by a spate of unfortunate penalties in the early part of the third period allowing the Sea Dogs to score a couple of power play goals.

I think it's time for Rumble to admit that Lavallee as a 16 yo is not quite ready for prime time and should only be used sparingly for the rest of the season. This is not a dig against the kid. I'm sure he likely has a bright future (with four more years of eligibility ahead of him, he has lots of time to develop his skill set). LeClerc is much more confident in net, and covers the puck well, giving up few rebounds. He should be used 90% of the time moving forward.

As far as Rumble is concerned. He's a good coach, and has gotten good results out of the team in the past but the Cats currently have a really good roster, and should be able to perform much better against other teams in the league than they are currently. He could be in trouble if the current slump continues. Irving likes results. Certainly at the end of the season, if the Cats finish poorly or bow out in the first round, he might be gone.

Irving wants the Memorial Cup so badly he can taste it. He will accept mediocrity for only so long.......

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Perhaps.

I was at the game last night too The Cats were done in by poor goaltending by Lavallee in the first period, and by a spate of unfortunate penalties in the early part of the third period allowing the Sea Dogs to score a couple of power play goals.

I think it's time for Rumble to admit that Lavallee as a 16 yo is not quite ready for prime time and should only be used sparingly for the rest of the season. This is not a dig against the kid. I'm sure he likely has a bright future (with four more years of eligibility ahead of him, he has lots of time to develop his skill set). LeClerc is much more confident in net, and covers the puck well, giving up few rebounds. He should be used 90% of the time moving forward.

As far as Rumble is concerned. He's a good coach, and has gotten good results out of the team in the past but the Cats currently have a really good roster, and should be able to perform much better against other teams in the league than they are currently. He could be in trouble if the current slump continues. Irving likes results. Certainly at the end of the season, if the Cats finish poorly or bow out in the first round, he might be gone.

Irving wants the Memorial Cup so badly he can taste it. He will accept mediocrity for only so long.......
I partially blame Rumble for Lavallee's play. Rumble has struggled with goaltender management since coming to the team. He's had issues overly relying on his top goaltender, resulting in a backup with no confidence and an overplayed starter. Some of this isn't on him as the Cats goaltending situation hasn't always been the best to work with.

However before these past 2 games Lavallee had gotten 1 start in nearly 2 months. That's just unacceptable given there was chances to play him, and then they incorrectly put him out against a very good offense (CB). At one point he started Leclerc on all 3 games of a 3 in 3 in Quebec which is unheard of. That can't give any good feelings to Lavallee.

Given the strength of opponent the rest of the season I would send Lavallee back to midget to get his confidence back up. I'm not sure if the team has burned bridges with Alec MacDonald but hes once again putting up good numbers in Truro and could fill in as a backup. He's currently the backup there as they have an overager American getting most of the starts. Of course roster management decisions will have to come from Ritchie Thibeault, but the2 should be working closely on this one.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Given the strength of opponent the rest of the season I would send Lavallee back to midget to get his confidence back up. I'm not sure if the team has burned bridges with Alec MacDonald but hes once again putting up good numbers in Truro and could fill in as a backup. He's currently the backup there as they have an overager American getting most of the starts.
This sounds like a good plan.

Goaltending is 50% of the game. If the other players have confidence in their goalie, this can significantly affect the confidence with which they execute their own play. They can be more aggressive on the attack, rather than holding back a bit if they think the goalie can cover their ass if they get in trouble.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Headline for this article regarding the Wildcats in the T&T:

Time to Hit the Panic Button??
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ory/100813261/ (paywall)

Rumble may be in trouble.........

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Headline for this article regarding the Wildcats in the T&T:

Time to Hit the Panic Button??
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ory/100813261/ (paywall)

Rumble may be in trouble.........
How long has Rumble been the coach( I cannot read this article)? I am a little surprised he has lasted this long with few deep playoff runs and the fact Mr. Irving likes to win.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
How long has Rumble been the coach( I cannot read this article)? I am a little surprised he has lasted this long with few deep playoff runs and the fact Mr. Irving likes to win.
Hired in 2013, Its a pretty long run for a coach in Junior. Hes had his ups and downs and due to questionable moves and drafting by Roger Shannon he never had a complete contender to work with. For the most part he has overachieved in the playoffs and underachieved in the regular season. A puzzling combo.

Sometimes you just need a fresh face behind the bench...but I honestly don't know who is available at this point. Someone I talked to was suggesting poaching former wildcat Ryan Salvis whos having success with the Edmunston Blizzard. I would approve of this type of move..rather than a recycled coach whos been through the league multiple times.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another loss by the Cats this evening (against the Remparts), 4-3 (OT), so at least they got a point out of it.

They played well I thought, but at times lacked the intensity necessary for a winning effort. Rumble is trying to shake up the lines, so this might be causing some problems for the boys as they try to adjust. LeClerc was in goal and played decently.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:48 PM

They should be blowing quebec out. This is a team that just traded nearly every quality player they have during the trade period and the ones they havent traded were not in the lineup in Kurashev, Grouchy & St Laurent. Likely the 4th worst lineup in the Q. Meanwhile the Cats have added 2 solid players in the deadline and are icing a full lineup that should be an offensive force.

I don't see how they can justify not making a change at this point.

The only real positive in Wildcat world right now is Jordan Spence & the fact that the Cats are almost gaurenteed to have the best shot in the lottery draft at the #1 (who should be phenom Joshua Roy) pick due to Bathurst icing a lineup comparable to the 2017 Wildcats.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some last minute movements during the trade period:

1) - Simon Le Coultre has been released. This is not a surprise really. He played in the World Juniors for Switzerland, and it has been long suspected he wouldn't be returning afterwards. He needs shoulder surgery and he opted for it sooner than later. The rumour is that he is going pro in Switzerland next year.

2) - To replace Le Coultre, the Cats have acquired Aleksi Anttalainen from Blainville in exchange for a 2019 3rd round draft pick. He is a Finnish d-man who will occupy our second European slot. He should bolster our defence, but he is yet another 19 yo!!!

3) - Cats have also acquired 17 yo d-man Jeremie Hebert from Baie Comeau for a 2019 6th round draft pick. He is playing this year for Miramichi, and will be an affiliate player available for call-up.

The Cats now have eight 19 yo playing on the team, and can only keep three next year. This will create a lot of uncertainty on the team for the remainder of the season, and likely some internal competition. This can be both good and bad, and hopefully will not negatively affect team chemistry. McKenna and Aspirot should be safe, but Cyr should be looking over his shoulder now. There are several players who will be competing for the third overager spot..........

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And Noah Dobson has been traded by Acadie-Bathurst to Rouyn-Noranda for their Memorial Cup run.

The price was steep. RN gave up first round picks in 2019, 2020, and 2021 as well as a second round pick in 2019.

It's a shame to see Dobson go, but he was a wasted asset with Acadie-Bathurst. He will get another chance at a Mem Cup run with RN, gaining oodles of experience and national exposure along the way. This was a good deal for Acadie-Bathurst.......

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 2:47 AM

Strong rumors are indicating we may get an announcement tomorrow that Darren Rumble has been relieved of his duties.

Another pitiful showing today has shown either he's lost the room or just doesn't know how to prepare the team. Time for a change before the seasons a complete lost cause.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:45 AM

Quote:
And Noah Dobson has been traded by Acadie-Bathurst to Rouyn-Noranda for their Memorial Cup run.

The price was steep. RN gave up first round picks in 2019, 2020, and 2021 as well as a second round pick in 2019.

It's a shame to see Dobson go, but he was a wasted asset with Acadie-Bathurst. He will get another chance at a Mem Cup run with RN, gaining oodles of experience and national exposure along the way. This was a good deal for Acadie-Bathurst.......
Lots of trades for the Titan so far, not much left of last year lineup so its a big reconstruction, we will probably miss the series this year no doubt, unless things change quickly but next year we should have a solid middle pack team as the guys learn to work together.

Its nice to see that the attendance is still good at the games and people seem to be really supportive and understanding of the task at hand.

On the plus side, they got a win this week end against Gatineau!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

lirette was right then. I'm not surprised. He seems quite attuned to the behind scenes goings on with the Cats.

I see Josh Hepditch was named interim coach. When lirette first mentioned that Rumble was in trouble, I was thinking that Hepditch might be offered the job (at least on an interim basis).

He will be challenged right away. The next ten games on the schedule are all against upper echelon teams, and the second half of the season in general will be no cakewalk. I think we'll have to get used to the idea of a mediocre Wildcats team for the rest of the season.........

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 10:30 PM

Question

I don't think you'll see Hepditch at the helm very long. Its my understanding from following the reporters on twitter that there should be someone new in place relatively soon. The press release from the team reads that way too.

I hope they are right, as I don't see Hepditch solving anything given that he was a big part of the staff already. A new coach often comes with a honeymoon period that can spark players looking to impress the new coach. Lots of interesting candidates out there.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:33 PM

Report coming from JF Plante (quebec based reporter) is indicating that the cats are finalizing a deal to bring in former Wildcat coach John Torchetti. Unclear if he will be handling the GM duties as well

I'm in support of this hire. Spent the last 10 years or so as an assistant in the NHL & the 1 year he coached the Wildcats they overachieved and had a very hard working team.

It seems it was quite the struggle to find a hire, just as it has been to find a GM. I get the feeling that within the hockey world word has gotten around quickly what its like to work for Robert Irving.

According to JF multiple people turned down the offer to coach the Cats, including former coach Ted Nolan.

This is all assuming he has good info of course, we should know once we get confirmation Torchetti has been hired.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cats are playing RN tonight at the Avenir Centre.

I have been to every game this season except twice, but I am seriously considering giving tonight's game a pass. RN is the league powerhouse this year, and given the Cats recent play, they will likely be blown out of the arena.

I could be wrong of course. The firing of Rumble might shake up the team and give them the incentive to play well. It will likely be a last minute decision for me whether to go or not.

I have been quite faithful this year, but over the last several years as the Cats have struggled, I fell into the habit of missing as many as half (or more than half) of the games each season, despite being a season ticket holder. I just found it too agitating to watch poor play from the stands, and frequently had better mental health just staying home and watching TV. If the Cats continue to struggle in the second half this year, I could revert to this pattern again.......

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New renders of the arena complex being built in Gatineau (future home of the Olympiques) - from the Canada section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
A few mostly new renderings of Gatineau's u/c arena complex. The complex will feature 4 ice surfaces, including the new 4,000 seat home of the Gatineau Olympiques.

Many more on the websites.

http://www.visionmultisportsoutaouai...laces-la-cite/
http://gatineau.ca/portail/default.a...communautaires

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rumour is that John Torchetti will be returning to the Wildcats as the new head coach. We should know very soon.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Rumour is that John Torchetti will be returning to the Wildcats as the new head coach. We should know very soon.
With the talent they have there is no reason they should be performing the way have been. Hopefully he gets here soon to clean this mess up.

The 1st period last night was probably the best hockey I've watched since October. Was fun while it lasted as they slipped into the usual lethargic effort in period 2 and 3. Hepditch and co looked overwhelmed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces