HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCountyLogan View Post
Can you send a link to the numbers?
For copyright reasons I cannot share the link, however the article states 2022 end of July was 68,000 TEU's and this year is just over 80,000 TEU's.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
For copyright reasons I cannot share the link, however the article states 2022 end of July was 68,000 TEU's and this year is just over 80,000 TEU's.
At the end of May 2023 the CEO of PSJ stated they were comparable to 2022 TEU numbers YTD. Although the port may not look as busy for intermodal, they have 4 cranes and a larger footprint to lay down on. If those numbers are all for real, that is exceptional as far as I'm concerned.

I have an excel spreadsheet following westbound train traffic that I have personally verified. As of yesterday on the trains only, I have counted 39,995 containers this calendar year. Most of those containers are 2 TEU (40 foot) and larger. I am not sure how they count the 53 foot containers. Then some of the container traffic heads east and some is handled by truck - I have no real idea how much that accounts for. Actual TEU's are some multiple of that 39,995 number and 80K TEUs seems quite possible.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
20% increase is impressive. We may just fall short of 150,000. Hopefully some big hitter ships with large discharge will occur this last quarter.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 12:20 PM

All 4 cranes are huddled together at the new berth - something big coming or just testing the configuration?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
All 4 cranes are huddled together at the new berth - something big coming or just testing the configuration?
NYK Rumina should be in today which is a decent size at 13 containers abreast. But could also be about speed as opposed to size. Twice before just recently I’ve seen 3 cranes working a ship. Be interesting to see when Rumina docks. Edit: not sure where Rumina is, looks like near Puerto Rico. Maybe error on berth sched by Dubai WP

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 2:11 AM

From my observation rail traffic is very active these days. We had the MOL Experience in port for the past 2 days. 4900 TEU vessel. I'm not expecting any major announcements or changes between now and spring. The filling of the slips will continue and hopefully, the global economy will begin to rebound in 2024 and we see the increase in capacity being put to use.

***Images and comment courtesy of X007***

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post

Here is the configuration of the cranes at what might now be called the Carleton Terminal - I haven't seen any official announcement yet. Pic was taken just before sundown tonight. Sorry for the low quality. I just checked again right now and they are still there. I suspect they are going to test this configuration tomorrow when the NYK REMUS is moored. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
NYK Rumina should be in today which is a decent size at 13 containers abreast. But could also be about speed as opposed to size. Twice before just recently I’ve seen 3 cranes working a ship. Be interesting to see when Rumina docks. Edit: not sure where Rumina is, looks like near Puerto Rico. Maybe error on berth sched by Dubai WP
The NYK RUMINA is headed to Halifax right now. You can track the current location best by searching for the NYK RUMINA on marinetraffic.com Once there, click on "route forecast" and it will give you the route and the most likely current location. As of right now it is about half way between Bermuda and Halifax.

My guess is testing the 4 crane configuration on the northern terminal leaves 0 cranes for the southern terminal so the NYK RUMINA will come to Saint John after the NYK REMUS has left.

They might be wanting to add 2 more cranes on the northern berth.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 11:46 AM

Are there any plans to remove the old green building that served the forest products terminal at what was pier 1?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
My guess is testing the 4 crane configuration on the northern terminal leaves 0 cranes for the southern terminal so the NYK RUMINA will come to Saint John after the NYK REMUS has left.

They might be wanting to add 2 more cranes on the northern berth.
Someone in management at the port told me, assuming no further grand expansion plans after 800K TEU and RO/RO, their goal is 7 cranes. It seems reasonable and probably necessary. I wouldn't be shocked to see a fifth hand-me-down crane purchased in the next 18 months.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Someone in management at the port told me, assuming no further grand expansion plans after 800K TEU and RO/RO, their goal is 7 cranes. It seems reasonable and probably necessary. I wouldn't be shocked to see a fifth hand-me-down crane purchased in the next 18 months.
DP World is adding capacity and cranes at Prince Rupert and they have mentioned moving some of their current cranes to Saint John to get capacity up to 800K. The plan is there and just needs to be put in motion. I hope they paint them the same. I guess we'll find out.

I personally see 800K as an intermediate goal for them. The landscape will look a bit different at 800K and they can set new goals from there. There is no reason to get to 800K and consider that as job done. It's not how they do business either. Just my 2 cents on that.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
DP World is adding capacity and cranes at Prince Rupert and they have mentioned moving some of their current cranes to Saint John to get capacity up to 800K. The plan is there and just needs to be put in motion. I hope they paint them the same. I guess we'll find out.

I personally see 800K as an intermediate goal for them. The landscape will look a bit different at 800K and they can set new goals from there. There is no reason to get to 800K and consider that as job done. It's not how they do business either. Just my 2 cents on that.
We need some major players to come in to go from 150,000 to 800,000

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 12:08 AM

CPKC at their investor day claimed that the 800K TEU capacity was glide path to sold out by early 2025. SJ has a cost advantage by way of no GST / harbour maintenance fees, plus the bigger ships can come in. The rail optionality is the icing on the cake… a bit more work but it’ll be busy. CPKC is forecasting 4 daily dedicated intermodal trains on their line (on top of a pair of regular manifest).

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 10:55 AM

Last night’s fire at AIM stinking up my house in the middle of the night is a great reminder that we need a better port use for that space than the disaster that has been the AIM facility.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Last night’s fire at AIM stinking up my house in the middle of the night is a great reminder that we need a better port use for that space than the disaster that has been the AIM facility.
Is this the last straw for AIM? Luckily no cruise ships in today because I doubt they’d be permitted to dock at the Jubilee terminal. It’s a remnant of a time when the city would take anything at any cost to develop economic activity.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Seems like quite the fire!

What will it take to get this industrial hell hole finally shut down for good???

There is no business having this eyesore, toxic waste dump, and fire and explosion hazard om the Saint John waterfront right across from the uptown peninsula. It needs to be gone yesterday!!!

I realize this is federal land under federal jurisdiction, but, Jesus Christ!! The mayor of SJ should make a direct appeal right to JT (for what good that would do)........

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Seems like quite the fire!

What will it take to get this industrial hell hole finally shut down for good???

There is no business having this eyesore, toxic waste dump, and fire and explosion hazard om the Saint John waterfront right across from the uptown peninsula. It needs to be gone yesterday!!!

I realize this is federal land under federal jurisdiction, but, Jesus Christ!! The mayor of SJ should make a direct appeal right to JT (for what good that would do)........
It would be more appropriate for the Port of Belledune where there are no nearby neighborhoods. If this shuts down Three Sisters condos will jump in value big time. Prices suppressed due to this eye sore.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:42 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
It would be more appropriate for the Port of Belledune where there are no nearby neighborhoods. If this shuts down Three Sisters condos will jump in value big time. Prices suppressed due to this eye sore.
What? Three Sisters are in Moncton my friend. You had a brain fart!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:46 PM

Quote:
URGENT NOTICE: Shelter in place notice issued for areas of City due to smoke from fire at AIM facility
The SJ-EMO has issued a voluntary shelter-in-place order for residents in the City’s South end and Millidgeville areas due to the fire incident currently taking place at the AIM recycling facility.
Residents are asked to remain in their homes, if possible, due to air quality concerns. Closing all windows and doors is recommended as well as turning off HVAC systems.
It is recommended that if you are in an area where you smell smoke, that you limit your exposure outside. Should you need to be outside, consider wearing a mask as a precautionary measure.
Emergency personnel are working to contain the fire, and the Department of Environment has been engaged.
The following schools have been closed for the day due to air quality concerns:
-Saint John High School
-Saint Malachy's Memorial High School
-St. John the Baptist/King Edward School
The fact that not only have 2 people died at this facility in the past, that there have been countless explosions, but also that we now have a widespread EMO shelter-in-place action across the city is unacceptable. We have so many good industrial developments in this city that operate cleanly, safely, and respectfully, why this one continues to be allowed is ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
What? Three Sisters are in Moncton my friend. You had a brain fart!
They're referring to the Harbourfront Residences condos, which are next to the Three Sisters Lamp, which has been around since at least the 1840s https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=145600

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces