HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 10:22 AM
Skyriser

That project is crap and shouldn't be approved. Parking lots and garages across from a light rail station? Come on.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That project is crap and shouldn't be approved. Parking lots and garages across from a light rail station? Come on.
Am I missing something? I don't think this is a new project. They are re-branding the existing Papago Spectrum and proposing to build a small new amenity building.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Am I missing something? I don't think this is a new project. They are re-branding the existing Papago Spectrum and proposing to build a small new amenity building.
You are correct. I rode the light rail by this a few weeks ago and thought "hmm what is that" looked it up and its just a rebrand with an amenity space for tenets. nothing groundbreaking but still an improvement none the less. The Grand area just east of this Arroyo development should continue to fill out with more residential, etc. as the need for office space and residential continues to pick back up post covid. I am involved closely with the developers of the site and am hopeful that turns into a beautiful area of north Tempe in the somewhat near future.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 5:34 AM

Actually

Quote:
I would love to see a parking garage next to a light rail station especially if it was a park and ride for cars coming from the south and north on Priest Dr. to leave their cars there and take the light rail. Am I missing something? Perfect place would be the south/east corner of Priest and Washington.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 5:37 AM

Also

[QUOTE=phoenixwillrise;10262549]I would love to see a parking garage next to a light rail station especially if it was a park and ride for cars coming from the south and north on Priest Dr. to leave their cars there and take the light rail. Am I missing something? Perfect place would be the south/east corner of Priest and Washington. Also throw in a bus station there while you are at it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 11:31 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
I would love to see a parking garage next to a light rail station especially if it was a park and ride for cars coming from the south and north on Priest Dr. to leave their cars there and take the light rail. Am I missing something? Perfect place would be the south/east corner of Priest and Washington.
There's already a huge parking garage near that corner. There are two problems with it:

1) It is the most visible structure from the light rail station. While a parking garage may be useful, it should be embedded within the complex and not its most prominent aspect. The portion of the development facing the street should be active and pedestrian-friendly.

2) It is not available as a park-and-ride facility. Access is limited to tenants and visitors.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 2:30 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
The parking garage is for office tenants and not the public.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 9:50 PM

I realize that

Quote:
The parking garage is for office tenants and not the public.
I was not referring to the parking garage mentioned I was just saying I would like to see a parking garage at the south east corner for Washington and Priest.
I also realize that the Grand owns that property so probably never going to happen but none the less a great place for that.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 5:39 AM

Here is City Nerd's video on Tempe/Culdesac:

[https://youtu.be/-xhRzM5SVpw?si=rDrRvMZLlz_yqT89]

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 9:49 PM

Nice slope on these buildings from this angle:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2024, 9:56 PM

The public meeting process is starting for a proposed pedestrian tunnel under University at College:

https://azmag.gov/Portals/0/Document...22-BPB-001.pdf

https://bowman.com/news/bowman-award...ated-crossing/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The public meeting process is starting for a proposed pedestrian tunnel under University at College:

https://azmag.gov/Portals/0/Document...22-BPB-001.pdf

https://bowman.com/news/bowman-award...ated-crossing/

Not sure if it's worth the money it will cost, but man are these fun to bike through

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurjKhalifa2Builder View Post
Not sure if it's worth the money it will cost, but man are these fun to bike through
Of all the intersections that could use a tunnel College and university really does not seem worth it. Why not Something along rural or Apache or Mill?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 7:39 AM
them bones

Wasn’t here a plan a number of years ago to close university between college and McAllister? That always made a lot of sense to me.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 12:42 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Nice slope on these buildings from this angle:

That tower on the far left has only grown about half a floor since April.

That seems a little odd.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=11684

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Wasn’t here a plan a number of years ago to close university between college and McAllister? That always made a lot of sense to me.
I am also just not a fan of these sorts of tunnels, even in countries that are very good at keeping such things clean and safe they are always kind of sketch and gross.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Of all the intersections that could use a tunnel College and university really does not seem worth it. Why not Something along rural or Apache or Mill?
Based on visual observations alone, no data, when ASU is in session the volume of North-South pedestrian traffic along that stretch of College Ave is tremendous; seemingly much higher than crossings of Rural or Mill.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I am also just not a fan of these sorts of tunnels, even in countries that are very good at keeping such things clean and safe they are always kind of sketch and gross.
The third tower is phase 2 or 3, so its on track.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:26 PM

Was in Tempe over the weekend, wasn't able to get any pictures but some observations in the ASU campus area:

1) Good vertical progress already on the 1020 E. Apache student housing project, they look to be approximately on the 3rd floor. I believe this is a 15 story project.

2) Lot for Verve Tempe on Terrace just north of Lemon officially has been cleared, the old apartments were demolished.

3) Looks like two of ASUs projects (both academic buildings) have finished up and are open for classes this semester, the building on Mill just south of the Omni (adjoined to the recently finished Mill Parking garage) which is apparently being called the "University Gateway Building", and the new Wilson hall replacement building (still called Wilson Hall). Thinking that ASU may begin a new project on the Tempe Campus soon with those finished up, and we should find out when AZBOR has their annual capitol plan meeting later next month. The good bet is on a new ISTB building (probably ISTB-9?) which would likely be built on the South side of University west of Mill, next to the Walton Center.

Other than that, I guess typical progress on a lot of the projects around there. In particular just lots of new townhome projects in the NW neighborhoods near the university.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Based on visual observations alone, no data, when ASU is in session the volume of North-South pedestrian traffic along that stretch of College Ave is tremendous; seemingly much higher than crossings of Rural or Mill.
I'm not saying there isn't a lot of traffic, I am saying that intersection operates fine as is, redoing pedestrian access along those other roads would be better and allow more foot traffic in those directions.

The crossing at College and Uni is not a traffic problem or congestion problem or a safety problem. Can't say the same for the other 3 major roads confining campus

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest