HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:09 PM

A 7 day a week market being the anchor tenant of a 4 story mid rise would be great.. pedway from Bluecross, to it,, then an indoor connection to Delta.. heck why not a pedway from the court house to delta as well.

It would season proof the business, would be nice pedway system for the winters. These buildings encompass 2-4k of office workers or more plus all the other people/guests. I would rent a spot in that market .

Any rainy/snowy day, huge lineups for coffee and or food at delta cafe, bluebird cafe(not so much anymore), city hall tim hortons. Not to mention the opportunity for office workers to grab quick take homes for supper.

The current market location is out of sight out of mind of these workers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There's another Downtown Community Improvement Plan symposium at the Capitol Theatre tomorrow morning at 8AM, in case anyone is able to go (tea and croissants provided).

One of the components that they seem to be floating right now is to relocate the farmers market to the Downing Street area, to generate more street traffic in the area and build synergy with the Moncton Library.

I'm not so sure about this. The first vision of Downing Street included midrise condos and streetfront commercial/retail. Moving the market there would seem to be a step backwards if you ask me. They also are bringing this forward under the assumption that the library isn't going to move. Hmmmmm..........

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
A 7 day a week market being the anchor tenant of a 4 story mid rise would be great.. pedway from Bluecross, to it,, then an indoor connection to Delta.. heck why not a pedway from the court house to delta as well.

It would season proof the business, would be nice pedway system for the winters. These buildings encompass 2-4k of office workers or more plus all the other people/guests. I would rent a spot in that market .

Any rainy/snowy day, huge lineups for coffee and or food at delta cafe, bluebird cafe(not so much anymore), city hall tim hortons. Not to mention the opportunity for office workers to grab quick take homes for supper.

The current market location is out of sight out of mind of these workers now.
I had been thinking that they had meant a farmers market instead of a mid rise mixed condo/retail development, and not of one incorporated into such a development.

If you're right, and this is what they intend, then that wouldn't be so bad.

What Downing Street needs is density to complement the other developments in the east end of the downtown core. I have no problems with relocating the market. Like Vorkuta said in his post on the previous page, the current market is too small (and pretty cut up on the inside). A higher quality market (like the market in Saint John) is what is needed.

Personally, I was thinking of putting the market on the south side of Assumption Blvd around where the old fire station was, but relocating it somewhere in the Downing Street area would be acceptable, as long as it is incorporated into an appropriate urban streetscape with some height.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:58 PM

Density is key.. for sure. but where will they park?? . On that note i found mmmatts event center photo kinda of amusing...when thinking about the parking "issue"

Quote:
I had been thinking that they had meant a farmers market instead of a mid rise mixed condo/retail development, and not of one incorporated into such a development.

If you're right, and this is what they intend, then that wouldn't be so bad.

What Downing Street needs is density to complement the other developments in the east end of the downtown core. I have no problems with relocating the market. Like Vorkuta said in his post on the previous page, the current market is too small (and pretty cut up on the inside). A higher quality market (like the market in Saint John) is what is needed.

Personally, I was thinking of putting the market on the south side of Assumption Blvd around where the old fire station was, but relocating it somewhere in the Downing Street area would be acceptable, as long as it is incorporated into an appropriate urban streetscape with some height.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:38 PM

If they do move the Market, what will become of the present site? I see plenty of opportunity here.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
If they do move the Market, what will become of the present site? I see plenty of opportunity here.
They want to build a street grid south of Main to stimulate development. The person responsible for the design (that they were talking to on CBC Radio this morning) mentioned that the proposed street would pass through where the market is currently located.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:36 PM

I like the idea of another east / WEST street near main. It seems hard to envision presently.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I like the idea of another east / WEST street near main. It seems hard to envision presently.
I have been through the market in halifax a few times on the waterfront. I am not sure of all elements it offers, but something similar, on a smaller scale could be a great asset for downtown. I think halifax draws cruise ship visitors but we draw from 1.3mil people.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:

I actually would far prefer Downing street and the land south of the Delta Hotel for the market. I think the best model would be a miniature version of the Byward market in downtown Ottawa; seamlessly integrated into the street grid, perhaps even in separate adjacent buildings and a few upper floors of residential as you've mentioned. It creates a lot of foot traffic and allows the market to expand over several years into adjacent areas. This would really help boost commercial development on the new east-west street parallel to Main and create much needed depth to the downtown. Placing it on the south side of Assumption would create a pedestrian barrier between the market and the rest of the core.

Someone also mentioned pedways across several of these new streets. They tend to divert foot traffic away from the street level and thus away from businesses. I think we should limit their use in downtown until pedestrian traffic becomes unmanageable.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the CBC article regarding the plans for south-of-Main to be discussed tomorrow morning at the Capitol:

Moncton Market moves, library stays put: downtown takes shape
Downtown plan includes moving Moncton Market to Downing Street and no on-site parking at new event centre
By Vanessa Blanch, CBC News Posted: Jun 12, 2017 1:55 PM AT Last Updated: Jun 12, 2017 1:55 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cott-1.4156257

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:29 AM

Is the city of Moncton webpage down? I cannot seem to access it on my phone, it says it's no longer there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Is the city of Moncton webpage down? I cannot seem to access it on my phone, it says it's no longer there.
Nope is has not been down. Might be your phone having issues.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 1:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Nope is has not been down. Might be your phone having issues.
It was down for a while last night, but it seems to be working now.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well folks, it would appear that the entire body of my photos will no longer be available for review on the internet.

Photobucket (which I use as a photo hosting service) has decided to block photo hosting unless you sign up for a plan costing $400 per year!!!!

Needless to say, I have no intention to pay this outrageous fee..........

I will explore other options instead.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Well folks, it would appear that the entire body of my photos will no longer be available for review on the internet.

Photobucket (which I use as a photo hosting service) has decided to block photo hosting unless you sign up for a plan costing $400 per year!!!!

So they're not going to let people keep their pictures? Are they allowed to do that?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:38 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:

I use Flickr. It's free

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
So they're not going to let people keep their pictures? Are they allowed to do that?
Your photos are still accessible on the site, and you can continue to upload, but it's now just for personal use. If you want to link to your photos, or post them in a discussion forum (like ours), there are extra fees.

Photobucket used to be fast, simple and easy to use. Over the last 6-12 months though, the site has been becoming slower and less reliable, and increasingly cluttered with annoying banners and ads. At times, it's nearly unusable. Now they've essentially stopped photo hosting (due to bandwidth issues) unless you're willing to pay an outrageous fee of $400 per year. Personally, I think these are all signs that Photobucket must be teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

In any event, I'm essentially done with them (unless things change). I've established a Flickr account, have been playing around with it this afternoon and seem to have everything figured out.

My photos are safe in ICloud. The screen captures that I imported directly into Photobucket from the monthly PAC meeting though are another thing. Happily the city keeps all the old PAC meeting minutes available on line, so I could screen capture them again and place them in Flickr. It would just be very time consuming and annoying to do. I think I'll do this only on a case by case basis.

Things going forward will be fine. All of the image uploads in older posts however will no longer show; which will be a pity.......

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I found this interesting photo on Flickr. The photographer was a passenger on an Air Canada flight from Toronto to Charlottetown, and snapped this picture as the plane passed over Moncton:

Moncton from the Air
by Peter Rukavina, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:24 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Neat to see the roll out of LED lights around the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:41 PM

Reminds me of the aerial nighttime photos of Berlin that show the distinct dividing line between East and West based on the different types of street lighting that each side installed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces