HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:27 PM

I think that Wawa cheapens the entire building.

Major disappointment for me.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I think that Wawa cheapens the entire building.

Major disappointment for me.
That was my first thought as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:50 PM

The Wawa is fine. Not every store needs to be an amazing show stopper. If you're on your way to work, the one at Broad is in an entirely different part of the city.

As for the idea that this development will attract tourists and suburbanites, Wawa works the same way Iron Hill does. It's comfortable, familiar and easy for locals and a box that some tourists want to check when they visit the region (similar to In and Out Burger in Cali). Not everything needs to be high end or fancy or a flagship store. So long as there's a good mix, which it appears there is, a Wawa will be a benefit to this development.

McDonald's on Walnut hasn't ruined Rittenhouse and a Wawa here a not going to ruin Market East. It will be an asset.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The Wawa is fine. Not every store needs to be an amazing show stopper. If you're on your way to work, the one at Broad is in an entirely different part of the city.

As for the idea that this development will attract tourists and suburbanites, Wawa works the same way Iron Hill does. It's comfortable, familiar and easy for locals and a box that some tourists want to check when they visit the region (similar to In and Out Burger in Cali). Not everything needs to be high end or fancy or a flagship store. So long as there's a good mix, which it appears there is, a Wawa will be a benefit to this development.

McDonald's on Walnut hasn't ruined Rittenhouse and a Wawa here a not going to ruin Market East. It will be an asset.
Forget tourists and suburbanites - how bout tax-paying locals like me? I want a store my family can use on a daily basis. Toys R Us, Bed Bath Beyond, Home Goods, Container Store, etc.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Forget tourists and suburbanites - how bout tax-paying locals like me? I want a store my family can use on a daily basis. Toys R Us, Bed Bath Beyond, Home Goods, Container Store, etc.
let's hope some stores along those lines are coming down the pike. as noted, another wawa doesn't add to the CC retail scene- its not bringing a new option to this part of town.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Locals can and do use Wawa much more on a daily basis than any of those stores. I'd be happy to see any of those stores you included in this, the Gallery or some future development (8th & Market?), but Wawa is not going to be some sort of blight. If anything it will help drive foot traffic that will strengthen the potential for big box retailers coming in in the future.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
What's wrong with who they've announced? I think it's pretty good so far. What tenants would you prefer?
Off the Top of my head:
Babies R Us, Toys R Us, Container Store, Bed/Bath Beyond, Crate and Barrell, Eataly, Home Goods, Zara Home, Christmas Tree Shop, Dicks, Pottery Barn, Pier One, urban Best Buy, urban Home Depot, NikeTown, TopShop, east of Broad Apple Store, Levis Store, Disney Store, or even fast-casual flagships east of broad like H&M or F21.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Off the Top of my head:
Babies R Us, Toys R Us, Container Store, Bed/Bath Beyond, Crate and Barrell, Eataly, Home Goods, Zara Home, Christmas Tree Shop, Dicks, Pottery Barn, Pier One, urban Best Buy, urban Home Depot, NikeTown, TopShop, east of Broad Apple Store, Levis Store, Disney Store, or even fast-casual flagships east of broad like H&M or F21.
There is a need for that in Philly. But hey are trying to create a new Millenial neighborhood in this complex for the Millenials they are targeting with Tower 1 and -- to a lesser degree -- Tower 2. Wawa, Iron Hill, honeygrow and the new co-working space across the street in the Stelle Building, Mom's market next door, the existing CVS, do much more to take them where they want to go to provide the daily or common staples for the residents they are targeting in these towers.

Then big box stores you name are needed too but will have to find a home somewhere else. Some would fit well in the revamped Gallery down the block.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Off the Top of my head:
The problem is, half of the retailers on that list are shrinking if not careening head-long towards Chapter-11 bankruptcy.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Off the Top of my head:
Great list, and the later commenter is wrong in saying that Wawa has boxed them out of this development. With Wawa announced, they are about 1/3 leased. More specifically, they have yet to announce the tenants that would occupy the Iron Hill and Wawa-equivalent spaces in the eastern of the two towers (the one that is farther along and mysteriously lacking in any announced tenants other than DWR on the 11th/Ludlow side). Given DWR as a co-tenant, it seems like one could convince one of the retailers you mention to make a go. Additionally and perhaps more importantly, each of the two retail podiums has a huge second story intended for retail. According to the super outdated leasing PDF, about 20,000 sf above Iron Hill/Wawa and about 30,000 sf in the Ludlow. These are great sized spaces for some of the tenants you mention. And then thirdly, there are many smaller neighborhood-scale spaces along the Ludlow side that have yet to have named tenants. Overall, the addition of Wawa scares me insofar as it could scare away some higher-end candidates considering the project. Then again, they got Design within Reach and MOM's, so it feels like that's a solid base to build from. Only time will tell, but this is theirs to f*ck up. Ideally sized spaces in a dynamite location in new construction.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Wawa confirmed. http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170516.html

Gotta be honest, this really isn't an exciting mix of tenants they've amassed thus far. Here's hoping for some new-to-the-market and more exciting signings.
The announced opening date for this Wawa is "spring 2018". The only way that is happening is if the tower construction is a completely separate build and the Market St. side is finished and open for business. I wonder if they'll make that date, they certainly haven't been very fast up to now.

I think with the right design any stores on the 2nd floor could be convenient and easy to access. Wawa doesn't need lots of display windows, so who ever is upstairs might be able to have a lot of first floor exposure. I'd like to see a nice wide, double height, somewhat grand entrance to the 2nd floor, not just a door in the wall, (which is doubtful!)

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:48 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Wawa is a useful store. And one right here -- on an El stop, FINALLY -- will do extremely well. I can tell you, right now I live in West Philly and work in the Northeast, and the current Wawas I can go to, to fetch lunch on my way in, are just out of my way enough to be annoying.

They're gonna need to make that Wawa huge and shiny. It's gonna be mobbed literally 24/7.

I get the feeling that the people kvetching about Wawa didn't grow up with Wawa. Wawa is the best goddamned convenience store on the planet.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:06 PM

There's a Wawa in Store for Market East

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...or-market-east

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:09 PM

Wawa signs big lease at East Market

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/5/16/...t-philadelphia

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:09 PM
BANNED

apparently this wawa is big news.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Locals can and do use Wawa much more on a daily basis than any of those stores. I'd be happy to see any of those stores you included in this, the Gallery or some future development (8th & Market?), but Wawa is not going to be some sort of blight. If anything it will help drive foot traffic that will strengthen the potential for big box retailers coming in in the future.
This. That was such a weird post. This Wawa will do very well. The stores mentioned are probably going to be killed by the internet fairly soon anyway. Why would anyone pay a 30% markup to shop at Toys R Us / Bed Bath and Beyond over Amazon?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:06 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
This. That was such a weird post. This Wawa will do very well. The stores mentioned are probably going to be killed by the internet fairly soon anyway. Why would anyone pay a 30% markup to shop at Toys R Us / Bed Bath and Beyond over Amazon?
So true, Justin. Brick and mortar retail is being destroy by the likes of Amazon. For it to survive, it's got to be more than just shopping. There's got to be a reason to go out to the "mall" or "department store." I think they are trying to change that paradigm to an experience. We''ll see if FOP succeeds at it or fails flat on its face.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

Why? It somewhat depends on the price point of what you're buying, 30% of $1K is a lot more then 30% of $50. Personally I'm finding that more and more I prefer to lay my hands on a 'thing' before I buy it. So much stuff is junk that it helps me to know which box of junk I'm buying. (but at the same point, I'm a male, I hate shopping)

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
So true, Justin. Brick and mortar retail is being destroy by the likes of Amazon. For it to survive, it's got to be more than just shopping. There's got to be a reason to go out to the "mall" or "department store." I think they are trying to change that paradigm to an experience. We''ll see if FOP succeeds at it or fails flat on its face.
destroyed is little over the top. Certain retailers have been destroyed, but people still buy things from stores and the high performing malls in the country are still doing well. Retailers that have fallen out of favor (such as many of the mall brands that are going under) with a younger generation are also struggling. This does not mean stores like BB&B are on the verge of collapse, in fact I haven't read anything about them being included amongst the weak chains. People still like to see and instantly pick up certain goods. Has there ever been one BB&B in our area to shut down? Not that I know of.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Why? It somewhat depends on the price point of what you're buying, 30% of $1K is a lot more then 30% of $50. Personally I'm finding that more and more I prefer to lay my hands on a 'thing' before I buy it. So much stuff is junk that it helps me to know which box of junk I'm buying. (but at the same point, I'm a male, I hate shopping)
I agree I like to lay my hands on the product I am interested in as well...

Then I go home and order it on Amazon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive