HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
WOW!!! Very impressive. Maybe it should have been the "Bills in Montreal" series.
Oh god, please no. Haven't we ruined enough CFL franchises for one decade?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:28 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Decided to keep this in the Sports and Canadian Culture Thread.

All the heat and light on March Madness once again brings up the subject of losing our athletes to the US big time colleges. While I applaud Canadians who can perform at that high level, I cannot help but feel that a little bit of us dies when another Canadian leaves for the states. I wish that our Universities could sell out 35,000 seat stadiums and 18,000 seat arenas and be the focus of our national sports media (looking at you especially CBC and TSN since you will be losing hockey fairly soon).
Is it a lost cause? I know that there is a movement from some Universities to have more extensive scholarships to compete with the NCAA. Some have even contemplated joining the NCAA (UBC) or already joined (SFU).
So what is your opinion? Do you even see this as an issue?
Agree. Our kids shouldn't have to leave Canada to fulfill their dreams, but most of our schools look down at sports as beneath them. It's snobbery and primitive thinking; our kids and culture pay a heavy price for it.

I've been attending the Final 8 for over 20 years and thought that Canadian universities would start competing for talent by now. Sadly, I was wrong. Carleton somehow manages to field very strong teams despite no scholarships to lure talent. The stranger part for me is that despite all their success, Ottawans don't care. Ottawa just doesn't seem to have any basketball culture to speak of.

How to build our programs up? Full athletic scholarships have to come first, long term business strategies devised, and proper media coverage needs to follow. It will take generations before our schools are competitive with their US peers. Many of those US programs have revenues of over $20 million and they weren't built over night.

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. Our kids shouldn't have to leave Canada to fulfill their dreams, but most of our schools look down at sports as beneath them. It's snobbery and primitive thinking; our kids and culture pay a heavy price for it.

I've been attending the Final 8 for over 20 years and thought that Canadian universities would start competing for talent by now. Sadly, I was wrong. Carleton somehow manages to field very strong teams despite no scholarships to lure talent. The stranger part for me is that despite all their success, Ottawans don't care. Ottawa just doesn't seem to have any basketball culture to speak of.

Full athletic scholarships have to come first, long term business strategies devised, and proper media coverage needs to follow. It will take generations before our schools are competitive with their US peers. Many of those US programs have revenues of over $20 million.
Look at Carleton they brought back the football they are funded by private people you think people would say good but no ist unfair and teams should not be able to spend that much money.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:50 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2020 View Post
Look at Carleton they brought back the football they are funded by private people you think people would say good but no ist unfair and teams should not be able to spend that much money.
Agree. It's unbelievable that people would crap on Carleton. They've raised the bar in basketball as Laval has done in football. The people complaining are part of an old boys club that want to keep varsity sports small, insignificant, and an after thought. They need to step aside and let those who do want to be competitive run things.

CIS football attendance in 2013 was 382,053 for those interested. The corresponding figure in NCAA Division 1 is 45 million or triple what the NFL draws.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Oh god, please no. Haven't we ruined enough CFL franchises for one decade?
The Bills in Toronto thing has turned out to be even more of a bust than the Argos... how can you say that it ruined a CFL franchise?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:55 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Bills in Toronto thing has turned out to be even more of a bust than the Argos... how can you say that it ruined a CFL franchise?
When a city's football attention, money, and time is diverted towards some other team rather then its own there's a price to pay. The Bills have been a 10 year distraction that's finally over. Perhaps now Toronto can get back to what they should have been doing all along: supporting the football team they already have.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Agree. It's unbelievable that people would crap on Carleton. They've raised the bar in basketball as Laval has done in football. The people complaining are part of an old boys club that want to keep varsity sports small, insignificant, and an after thought. They need to step aside and let those who do want to be competitive run things.
I just don't know why people don't say other teams should get to the level Carleton and Laval are at but they bash teams that are doing very well.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:03 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
I just don't know why people don't say other teams should get to the level Carleton and Laval are at but they bash teams that are doing very well.
People who want schools to improve don't bash Laval and Carelton; they applaud them. It's a whole other group of people who do the bashing. They don't want our schools to improve at all and are pissed off that these schools are making them look bad.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
When a city's football attention, money, and time is diverted towards some other team rather then its own there's a price to pay. The Bills have been a 10 year distraction that's finally over. Perhaps now Toronto can get back to what they should have been doing all along: supporting the football team they already have.
All of that money and time could have been used to build a true Cfl stadium.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:16 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
All of that money and time could have been used to build a true Cfl stadium.
And building the season's ticket base, marketing, outreach programs, investing in junior football, having the media talk about Toronto's actual football team, etc.

The last 20 years are pretty much a write off in Toronto and the team needs to start from scratch nurturing a brand new fan base starting with kids who are under 10 years old. If they can develop 1000-2000 die hard new fans/year they'll be in good shape 20 years from now. That's how long its going to take.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And building the season's ticket base, marketing, outreach programs, investing in junior football, having the media talk about Toronto's actual football team, etc.

The last 20 years are pretty much a write off in Toronto and the team needs to start from scratch nurturing a brand new fan base starting with kids who are under 10 years old. If they can develop 1000-2000 die hard new fans/year they'll be in good shape 20 years from now. That's how long its going to take.
I think some of the blame has to be on the media when you have well known reporters say i can't stand Canadian football that does not send a strong messege.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:44 AM

Raptors just clinched a playoff spot. It was amazing to see genuine excitement and a sense of accomplishment on the players' faces (most of whom are between 21 and 28). For most of these guys this will be their first trip to the post-season, and a lot of them have been with us for years now, so this quite big for both the fans and the players.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:13 AM

Strange article, seems to mention the Argos and yet seems positive, I'm confused. You won't believe this but a pig flew by and almost hit me in the head - elly

Cheer up T.O. - You've got the Argos
Mike Strobel Toronto Sun March 30, 2014

You have to laugh at how we’re “the city of losers,” just because of the Leafs’ latest swoon.

Pundits, including Toronto Sun colleagues, point also to last year’s painful Blue Jays season and the long-term mediocrity — could this finally be the year? — of the Raptors and TFC.

There’s even a high school course on the art of losing in Toronto sports.

Well, what are the Argonauts, chopped liver?

We keep forgetting about those guys. Those — shudder! — winners.

They are one year removed from a Grey Cup and have won six since the Leafs embraced Lord Stanley’s mug.

On Sunday, I helped judge the Argos cheerleader finals at Scarborough Town Centre and the mall’s centre court was packed, reverberating with that weird chant, “Argoooos,” part lament, part pride.

That’s the thing about the Argonauts. They hang around in malls like the rest of us, not under chandeliers or in limos.

They’re organic. Only an Argos crowd would include a rabbit, Sunki (Hopi for “to catch up with”) wearing a double-blue sweater and chilling in a pram.

The team, founded in 1873, goes so far back in our civic psyche we all seem to have a connection.

My grandfather, Archie Stewart, had a stint with the Argos before joining the Grey Cup winning Balmy Beachers in 1930.

The Leafs may be the glamor boys, but, hell, the Argos are family.

Even the cheerleaders. In the throng of fans, I bump into Laura Potter-Muff, 54.

A year or two or three ago, Laura tried out for the Argo cheer squad. She was a pompom practitioner at George Harvey Collegiate, on Keele St., near Eglinton Ave., back in the day of cartwheels and sis-boom-bah. But the Argos wanted dancers.

She didn’t make the first cut.

“I can’t dance,” Laura tells me. “When the rest of the girls sashayed left, I went somewhere else entirely.

“No danceability at all. I still do the same steps I did in high school and at my wedding.”

The talent must skip a generation, or it’s the lessons starting at age three, because daughter Vanessa, 18, sure can dance.

She’s one of 46 finalists high-stepping and speechifying for us judges, including singer Karl Wolf.

Sadly, she does not get my question, which is: “What advice would you give Rob Ford?”

“I think he should keep doing what he’s doing ... he loves life,” says a long blonde named Kimberly, to a roar from the Scarberians — which would have scared any of my downtown neighbours to death.

Ford Nation shops at Scarborough Town Centre.

Instead, Vanessa fields a query about healthy food, then nails her routine.

Her mom’s in her head. “Shoulders back. Stand straight. Smile...”

It works. She makes the squad of 25 — more than three decades after her mom fell short.

“She’s living vicariously through me,” says Vanessa, a dance and education student at York. “No, seriously, she’s my biggest supporter and my inspiration.”

As a dancer?

“Hmmm. Well, I do get my stage presence from her,” she says, with all the tact required of an Argos cheerleader.

You need tact when you’re part of a winning team in Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:24 AM
Rational urbanist

God bless the CFL cheerleaders.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:50 AM

So Toronto is a loser city when it plays with the Yanks, but kills it when it finally acts like it wants to belong to the country it resides in.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 3:57 PM

Interesting to see that Wisconsin missed the NCAA final by one point and articles are popping up with them crediting the whippin' they got from Carleton as a change for their season.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Interesting to see that Wisconsin missed the NCAA final by one point and articles are popping up with them crediting the whippin' they got from Carleton as a change for their season.
Funny how TSN and Sportsnet missed that point during their nauseating gushing of how many Canadians were in the NCAA.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:44 AM

There is a poll at the CTV News website "What is your favourite Toronto sports team?" To put it in context, the poll follows a baseball story on the season opener so baseball is prominent.

And go figure, those moribund Argonauts (contrary to popular belief) are still alive and more popular than the Raptors and twice that of TFC. High TV ratings and popularity despite a hostile media many of whom are employed by a company that wishes the Argos were dead and tried to choke them out UFC style from the Rogers (hock loogie) Centre.

Although unscientific (the poll), I've been tracking the results for the last 800 votes and it has remained consistent, so I conclude it is accurate as well. Hold off on the undertaker for the time being.

Last edited by elly63; Apr 12, 2014 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Funny how TSN and Sportsnet missed that point during their nauseating gushing of how many Canadians were in the NCAA.
You obviously missed the coverage of the OUA and CIS finals then as it was talked about extensively

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
You obviously missed the coverage of the OUA and CIS finals then as it was talked about extensively
My mistake then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada