HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:45 PM

Well, considering they opened the MTS Centre only a few years before that, and they had consulted NHL officials over the "appropriate" size for the marketplace before construction... why wouldn't you try to go for the big fish asap?

I think it worked out well this way... they managed some time to build a strong reputation for operating a very successful building and AHL team, get an NHL practice facility built, pressbox expansion underway, and important progress with the city over the establishment of the SHED. A team in 2007 may have resulted in these important pieces missing for a while, or being rushed. Heck, Prohockeylife only came to the city last summer

I really want to see the final plans for the hotel-retail redevelopment across the street, but I suppose that will be coming shortly!

So who wants to start the campaign for a Heritage Classic between the two remaining NHL franchises coming from the WHA?
WINNIPEG/MANITOBA versus EDMONTON, at the Brand new Winnipeg Stadium; time-of-year... recommend late February so that daylight is returning, and temps have a chance of being a little more moderate. Could be the marquee event of the Festivale de Voyageurs (if not at the traditional festival locations)... someone suggested to me once that they could set up the game on the river at the forks... as EPIC as that would be, I can see about a thousand things that could go wrong with that idea, (not to mention how you would do ticketed seating!) so the stadium would have to do.

Besides, I don't think an outdoor game on a -35°C New Years Day with windchills near -60 would go over well with anyone.
... on the other hand... maybe we should do Winnipeg / Phoenix on a -35/-60 new years day...
"Welcome to Winnipeg, Mr. Bryzgalov!"

Last edited by Mininari; Jun 2, 2011 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:51 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Heck, Prohockeylife only came to the city last summer
You guys have had River City Sports for a long time though. I consider them a much better shop than PHL. PHL is too sterile and their prices are a bit inflexible for my tastes.

Oddly enough, I just learned this morning that RCS opened a store in Calgary. Gonna visit on Saturday.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
So who wants to start the campaign for a Heritage Classic between the two remaining NHL franchises coming from the WHA?
WINNIPEG/MANITOBA versus EDMONTON, at the Brand new Winnipeg Stadium; time-of-year... recommend late February so that daylight is returning, and temps have a chance of being a little more moderate. Could be the marquee event of the Festivale de Voyageurs (if not at the traditional festival locations)... someone suggested to me once that they could set up the game on the river at the forks... as EPIC as that would be, I can see about a thousand things that could go wrong with that idea, (not to mention how you would do ticketed seating!) so the stadium would have to do.
You can quote me on this later - I personally guarantee you that this will happen within 3 years of the new stadium opening, at the very latest. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it the first year. The Heritage Classic games are complete cash cows and it's only a matter of time before Canada sees one every year or two. Late Feb is perfect for Winnipeg. You usually get that warm spell that melts all the ice sculptures at Festival () and yeah, long daylight. The stadium is definitely where it's at - again, cash cow. Edmonton, yeah I could see it. However the NHL likes to do east-west, so I could easily see Toronto, or (even better) QC if they get a team by then.

Don't be surprised if some or all of the Wpg team plays a charity game on the river at some point though. NHL involvement in the community has ballooned since the Jets left and I think Winnipeg is going to be pleasantly surprised at how active the players are going to be. Goals For Kids was amazing in its day but it's nothing compared to how much the modern NHL does.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
You can quote me on this later - I personally guarantee you that this will happen within 3 years of the new stadium opening, at the very latest. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it the first year. The Heritage Classic games are complete cash cows and it's only a matter of time before Canada sees one every year or two. Late Feb is perfect for Winnipeg. You usually get that warm spell that melts all the ice sculptures at Festival () and yeah, long daylight. The stadium is definitely where it's at - again, cash cow. Edmonton, yeah I could see it. However the NHL likes to do east-west, so I could easily see Toronto, or (even better) QC if they get a team by then.

Don't be surprised if some or all of the Wpg team plays a charity game on the river at some point though. NHL involvement in the community has ballooned since the Jets left and I think Winnipeg is going to be pleasantly surprised at how active the players are going to be. Goals For Kids was amazing in its day but it's nothing compared to how much the modern NHL does.
I'll be there.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 6:26 PM

I'm sure it has been talked about earlier, but can someone explain to me how this thread is still in the Canada forum? I'm still baffled it's here when stuff from other cities specifically are quickly shoved to their respective forums.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 6:51 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I'm sure it has been talked about earlier, but can someone explain to me how this thread is still in the Canada forum? I'm still baffled it's here when stuff from other cities specifically are quickly shoved to their respective forums.
I think because it's of interest to all Canadians. The various local media outlets across the country sure seemed interested this week.

Not trying to be snarky, either. I've seen people from all over the country posting in here.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 7:13 PM
Vancouverite

Apparently the queen portrait isn't coming back.

oh and winnipegers visit this site!

http://driveto13.com/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:05 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
oh and winnipegers visit this site!

http://driveto13.com/
I can safely advise you that every Winnipegger I know (and most of us ex-pats) have that site not only bookmarked, but entries in our calendars to check it each day at 4:30 CDT. The flurry of text messages/facebook updates I see for about 10 minutes afterwards is priceless. It's a bit like watching an ebay auction in slow motion.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:32 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I can safely advise you that every Winnipegger I know (and most of us ex-pats) have that site not only bookmarked, but entries in our calendars to check it each day at 4:30 CDT. The flurry of text messages/facebook updates I see for about 10 minutes afterwards is priceless. It's a bit like watching an ebay auction in slow motion.
Oh ok then, Winnipegers BUY BUY BUY.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:51 PM
the first stamp is free

^ The most expensive season tickets are already sold out (all club seats in the labatt lounge, rink side and the lower section near centre ice).

That's after 1200 people have been GRANTED access to the online pre-sale for existing STH and corporate types.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:56 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 9:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ The most expensive season tickets are already sold out (all club seats in the labatt lounge, rink side and the lower section near centre ice).

That's after 1200 people have been GRANTED access to the online pre-sale for existing STH and corporate types.
Wow. Just wow. 4170 sold so far.

Yeah. This thing is DONE within a couple of hours on Saturday. Congrats Winnipeg, you showed 'em.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 9:54 PM

I expect over 7000 sold by the end of the presale. Saturday alone will likely see 4000+ ticket sales.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 12:27 AM

damn, talk about supply and demand. Good on you Winnipeggers and Manitobans. Lets prove to the rest of the NHL that they shouldn't have left in the first place.

I cant wait to see what that area would be like with the expected development of adjacent properties near the MTS center.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i'm guesing one needs a cc to purchase this stuff???

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 1:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
What's up with all the hockey sticks?
Canadian Tire celebrates return of NHL
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 06/3/2011 6:25 AM | Comments: 0
PRINT E–MAIL SHARE REPORT ERROR
WINNIPEG -- Don't be shocked if road hockey games suddenly start popping up downtown today.
There's certainly enough hockey sticks kicking around.
As part of the celebration over the return of NHL hockey to Winnipeg, Canadian Tire has randomly placed 1,500 hockey sticks in Winnipeg's downtown core this morning.
And yes, you can take one. But just one. It's the honour system.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...123090908.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 9:39 PM
Starring as himself

7,158 now!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Just for FEEPA

Quote:
TNSE Revenues and Ticket Price Analysis (UPDATED)
I posted this earlier in the Atlanta Board, however I have since realized that this type of discussion would do much better in these parts:

Now that all of the speculation is over... I needed to find some other way to not do any work at the office.

Here is my analysis of TNSE's potential revenue steams:

The average ticket price has been quoted as $82/ticket. However I decided to put on my analyst hat and calculate the weighted average.

For this calculation I used the following figures:

Lower Bowl = 7692 (derived by subtracting party and private seats from 8812 figure on site).
Upper Bowl = 6203
Private Suites = 1032
Party Suites (to be converted into 4 additional Private suites) = 88

All from quick facts section: http://www.mtscentre.ca/arena/index.php

. . .
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=920803

Last edited by Xelebes; Jun 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM. Reason: Remember to only post excerpts. I cannot discern if you are the original author of that post.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 12:49 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Facts. Pfft. Facts can be used to prove anything that's remotely true. Everyone knows that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan