HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:54 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Residents will have chance to offer input on Elgin Street redesign

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 24, 2016 | Last Updated: June 24, 2016 4:17 PM EDT

The city is tearing up and redesigning Elgin Street, but first it needs a blueprint for how the prime commercial strip should be transformed.

Should there by cycling lanes? Fewer parking spots? Wider sidewalks?

“There will be a need for compromise,” development review manager Derrick Moodie predicted.

There isn’t much room with which to work on Elgin. The city has rights to 18 metres between the property lines.

Residents can start chiming in Tuesday during an open house at city hall, the first consultation session on the major infrastructure project. The session starts at 5:30 p.m. in council chambers and Jean Pigott Hall. The city is asking interested participants to RSVP with transportation engineer Vanessa Black at vanessa.black@ottawa.ca.

Another open house will happen in the fall.

The one-kilometre stretch of Elgin between Isabella and Lisgar streets is up for reconstruction because the underground pipes and sewers need replacing. Some of the watermains date back to the late 1800s.

Moodie said this type of project would cost in the range of $20 million to $30 million, but the final price tag for Elgin will be nailed down during the design work.

The redesign and construction will also include the short stretch of Hawthorne Avenue between Colonel By Drive and Main Street.

The city, with help from a working group, has been floating about 15 ways to redesign Elgin ahead of the open house. Each option has different takes on cycling, parking, the number of lanes and the size of sidewalks. Moodie said representatives from businesses and community associations have been participating in the working group.

A final draft design is scheduled to be finished in January. Construction could begin in 2018 and take two to three years.

Here are the elements that will surely draw close scrutiny from the public:

Cycling

There will be pressure for the city to install cycling infrastructure, since Elgin isn’t exactly a comfortable biking route. The city is considering options that include segregated bike lanes, raised cycling tracks and painted bike lanes. Another option to retain a mixed-traffic setup, where cyclists and cars share a lane.

Sidewalks

Sidewalks have become tighter for pedestrians with the introduction of more restaurant patios. As many as 950 pedestrians are on the sidewalks north of Waverley Street between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. each day, according to the city’s research. Though the minimum standard sidewalk width is usually 1.8 metres, the city wants downtown sidewalks to be between three and five metres wide. When it comes to Elgin, the city will need to decide if it wants to give up existing car lanes and on-street parking for more sidewalk space.

Parking

There are 120 parking spots on Elgin and about 28 on Hawthorne with parking restrictions during peak periods. It’s hard to imagine a new street design that has zero parking on Elgin, even though it’s an option. “I think businesses certainly would want to retain some on-street parking,” Moodie said. Other concepts consider raised “flex” parking spaces the same height as the sidewalks, and traditional on-street spots, either on both sides of the street or on one side.

Lanes

Elgin currently has four vehicle lanes with one in each direction also used for on-street parking. The city could decide to shrink the road and have one lane in each direction. Another option is having three lanes in total: one in each direction, plus a left-turn lane up the middle. The travel lanes in each direction must be a minimum width of 3.3 metres to accommodate OC Transpo buses. The turning lane must be at least three metres wide. The most congested part of Elgin is traditionally south of Argyle Street during the afternoon rush hour, when up to 1,000 vehicles are driving south.

Streetscape

On top of freeing up enough room for pedestrians, the city will give thought to bus stops, benches, trash cans, bike rings and trees along the sidewalks. The city could even consider charging stations for things like phones and tablets, like the Bank Street BIA is adding. The city could bury the hydro lines, but council might need to approve the work since it’s costly. When it comes to street lights, the city could go with the typical tall, concrete light standards, or consider a more interesting design to jazz up Elgin. It will come down to price.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...treet-redesign

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:09 AM
Awesome!

Recent updates from Street View

Trim Road which was re-aligned a couple of years ago

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.47767...7i13312!8i6656

Trim / Saint-Joseph roundabout

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.48889...7i13312!8i6656

Anderson Road & Renaud roundabout

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.41963...7i13312!8i6656

Small section of Strandherd widened from Fallowfield to Kennevale (roughly)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.27217...7i13312!8i6656

Eagleson at Katimavik - speed limit is now 80 up to Hazeldean

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.31404...7i13312!8i6656

Old Richmond towards Bridlewood - still as a two-laner

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.30013...7i13312!8i6656

Ditto for Stonehaven Drive

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.28190...7i13312!8i6656

417 at Moodie (I guess related to the West Transitway extension)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.34113...7i13312!8i6656
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Cre47; Jul 24, 2016 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:55 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

On time, on budget: End in sight for Main Street reconstruction

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 4, 2016 | Last Updated: August 4, 2016 7:27 PM EDT

The long-awaited end to Main Street’s reconstruction is close enough that David Chernushenko is starting to think about planning a grand reopening party.

“We’re definitely past half way,” the Capital councillor said Thursday of the multi-year, multimillion-dollar project, which he said is about two-thirds finished.

Main Street’s infrastructure was at the end of its life cycle, so the city ordered up a top-to-bottom facelift from Echo Drive to the Rideau River. Wider sidewalks, cycletracks, new trees, public art, street lighting and signage are above ground; new water mains and sewers run underground.

The reconstruction also presented a chance to narrow the street in an effort to reduce speeding along a stretch of road that’s a popular choice for north-south commuters.

The total budget is $39 million, plus another $16.3 million to fix up the McIlraith Bridge.

Preliminary work began early last year, but the big shovels didn’t come out until the end of May, which is also when the major traffic detours kicked in. It’s expected to be completed next summer, and is on time and on budget, the councillor said.

“We have no reason to expect it won’t open on time.”

In fact, a short stretch between Lees and Hawthorne avenues reopened to traffic in both directions on Thursday.

A key stretch between Lees and Clegg Street is scheduled to open to traffic in both directions on Aug. 16, according to Chernushenko, although the new cycletracks are already popular with many cyclists.

“We’re in the last stretch,” said Helen Weaver, owner of 3 Trees, an eclectic shop that sells clothing, jewelry and handicrafts. “The progress they’ve made is amazing.”

She was anticipating a rough couple of years as detours and dust drove customers away, but her sales are actually up, she said.

Weaver also praised the city’s efforts to keep the community up to speed on the project, including more than 20 public working group meetings, which she said were invaluable. “If you’re there the whole time, you understand the process.”

Despite the mess outside, the Green Door vegetarian restaurant next door has also thrived, said owner Ron Farmer. The detours might have been confusing at times, but it wasn’t enough to keep loyal customers away.

That’s a relief, Chernushenko said. “You never want businesses to go under.”

As for residents, he acknowledged their patience and understanding about the project, which, thanks to detours and road closures, forced a lot more cars and heavy trucks onto normally quiet and leafy side streets.

“People have, for the most part, been accepting that that’s the only way the project is going to get done,” Chernushenko said.

While there might be light at the end of the tunnel, Main Street remains a dusty mess, particularly south of Clegg Street. Vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists can all get through, but it’s slow and noisy.

Traffic has been reduced to one southbound lane; northbound drivers must detour through the neighbourhood.

Between Clegg and Riverdale Avenue, construction on the east side of the road has workers and heavy equipment as close as three metres from some people’s front doors.

And where Main meets Riverdale, there are piles of construction debris, traffic cones and wooden pallets.

“A little pain for a lot of gain is worth it,” said Alastair McDonald, as he watered the front lawn of a home on Bower Street, within earshot of construction vehicles.

He’s visiting from Scotland for three weeks but said he isn’t too fussed about the construction, especially if the end result is a safer and friendlier street for pedestrians and cyclists.

The workers, he added, are polite and generally wrap up their work by 6 p.m.

“To me, they’re trying their very best to minimize noise and pollution, but it’s inevitable,” McDonald said.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...reconstruction

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 1:21 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

LED lights are saving the City energy and money
August 22, 2016
News Release

Ottawa – The City of Ottawa is in the process of converting 58,000 streetlights to Light Emitting Diode (LED) technology, an initiative that, upon completion, will save the City an estimated $6 million annually.

The work is being done in partnership with Energy Ottawa, a subsidiary of Hydro Ottawa. Under the agreement, Energy Ottawa will install and maintain the new light infrastructure over a six-year period.

“I’m pleased to see the City of Ottawa and Energy Ottawa working together to spend money, energy and resources more efficiently,” said Mayor Jim Watson. “Even at this early stage of the conversion, we are already experiencing savings.”

Street lighting accounts for 17 per cent of the electricity used by the City. The conversion is expected to reduce energy consumption by 50 per cent per fixture. Since converting 750 lights on Carling Avenue in 2015, the City is already saving more than $72,000 annually.

“The City of Ottawa is committed to energy management as a key component of its operations,” said Councillor Keith Egli, Chair of the City’s Transportation Committee. “Extensive improvements in efficiency, output, and costs of LED over the last few years have made this technology the best choice for Ottawa residents, both in our neighbourhoods and in our wallets.”

In addition to energy reduction, the LED infrastructure provides the following benefits:
  • reduced maintenance costs
  • automatic notifications when lights fail
  • greater light control
  • greater light quality
  • reduced light pollution

“Streetlights beautify our neighbourhoods and make our city a safer place to live,” said Bryce Conrad, President and CEO of Hydro Ottawa. “This was true in 1885, when Ottawa became the first city in the world to light all of its streets with electricity, and it’s true today as we update streetlights to energy-efficient LED technology that will decrease light pollution, improve light ambiance and save Ottawa residents millions of dollars in electricity every year.”

For more information on City programs and services, visit ottawa.ca or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

http://ottawa.ca/en/news/led-lights-...ergy-and-money

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:20 AM

Does Ottawa have any official light-pollution policy?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:52 AM

I swear they release this LED conversion press-release at least once a year. Convert it already.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:53 PM

I wish they would adjust the colour temperature according to the location. They recently replaced one of the bulbs in my neighbourhood and was shocked to see how it went from a pleasant yellowish hue to a stark white. One thing that they are discovering is that blue light suppresses the natural generation of melatonin by the pineal gland and will thus help keep you awake. This is an evolved (or created if you so believe) response since sunlight is rich in blue light and the light at sunset (and fire light) shifts to the oranges and red end of the spectrum.

On highways and major routes, certainly light that is whiter (and thus rich in blue light) should be used to help keep drivers awake and alert, but on residential streets, where drivers are close to home and the light leaks into houses along with people being out walking the dog before bed, the lights should be more yellow.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 2:01 AM

I think you're just used to yellow.

Here in Kingston we replaced all our lights with LEDs three years ago and they're all pure white. It was weird at first but me and everyone else I know loves them now. It makes everything look natural and clean and you can see things way better.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
...the light leaks into houses...
No longer an issue. Russell township just finished converting all theirs, and there is no longer ANY stray light coming in my home's windows at night, or even on to my property much at all, in fact. I have to use my home's front lights to see anything now!

This has an added benefit - now we can leave our bedroom blind open at night, so the sunrise wakes us up instead of some annoying alarm clock.

https://www.facebook.com/MUNRUSSELLT...11552285692645

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 11:28 PM

Yo... remember that the yellow of the lights is mostly due to the fact that they are Sodium vapour bulbs. I cannot remember where from, but a study did show that the newer LEDs in white or blue are far more effective for driver AND pedestrian illumination in that the light return to the eye is far more analogous to daytime illumination. Hence safety levels for all are raised. Plus, as noted, with better aim and reflectors, the targeting of the illumination is better, and so less overall illumination is required (less light waste). This contributes to cheaper and better, and less light pollution.
Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Yo... remember that the yellow of the lights is mostly due to the fact that they are Sodium vapour bulbs. I cannot remember where from, but a study did show that the newer LEDs in white or blue are far more effective for driver AND pedestrian illumination in that the light return to the eye is far more analogous to daytime illumination. Hence safety levels for all are raised. Plus, as noted, with better aim and reflectors, the targeting of the illumination is better, and so less overall illumination is required (less light waste). This contributes to cheaper and better, and less light pollution.
Thanks.
Ha! So we return to clearer white colour bulbs that we had before they installed the sodium vapour bulbs in the 1980s. What comes around goes around. At that time, they argued that the yellowish lights were better for our vision, now they argue the opposite. It really was all about cost then and is now.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 9:16 PM

Neither is really "better" for vision. Our eyes adapt to our environment, so we'll live with either.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 12:32 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Neither is really "better" for vision. Our eyes adapt to our environment, so we'll live with either.
I disagree.

While I am no fan of LED lighting in any form, it does have a much higher Colour Rendition Index (CRI) than High Pressure Sodium (HPS) or the 1970s vintage Low Pressure Sodium.

Metal Halide can give excellent CRI but generates fewer lumens per watt than HPS or especially LED which is unbeatable.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I disagree.

While I am no fan of LED lighting in any form, it does have a much higher Colour Rendition Index (CRI) than High Pressure Sodium (HPS) or the 1970s vintage Low Pressure Sodium.

Metal Halide can give excellent CRI but generates fewer lumens per watt than HPS or especially LED which is unbeatable.
Not sure what you're saying.... "no fan of LED", yet you seem to give a glowing report??

I'm not a fan of LED primarily because they don't seem to work with many of the switches I have installed in my place... but I do like the "whiteness" (is that what CRI is?) of the actual light.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
It depends what you mean by "better for vision." As indicated in this article in The Review of Optometry:

Quote:
Blue light, which is part of the visible light spectrum, reaches deeper into the eye and its cumulative effect can cause damage to the retina. Furthermore, in certain wavelengths, blue light is implicated in the development of age-related macular degeneration

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:05 PM

Wow:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...ign-error.html

Quote:
Booth Street's wayward hydrant a 'design error': city
A fire hydrant in the middle of Booth Street's brand new sidewalks will have to be moved after a design error placed it right in the path of pedestrians.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 12:25 PM

z

Last edited by eltodesukane; Jan 14, 2017 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Anyone has a better/larger copy of this image?
"Core area"?!!?!?!?!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Brilliant! There must have been all kinds of sticking heads in the sand about this.

Yeah, a design error but it isn't my responsibility to say something. Until the project is almost ready to open.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:43 PM

They were already fixing it this morning. But seriously, how could no one have seen the preliminary stages and said "wait a second, this doesn't line up"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation