HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Where are you thinking its going, because if you think its on te east side of te building, as i originally thought (where the province signs are) then i believe you are mistaken. I was told by someone who works in the building the entire hotel and facilities are on the west side, including province.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 7:39 PM

Yea, I was thinking it was going on the east corner. If that's not the case, then nevermind.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 8:22 PM

Cool, I thought east side as well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 8:43 PM

The SW corner atrium is looking awesome. The trees are nice, pavers aourn them are in. There looks to be a number of water features with a stone weeping water wall too. Nice lighting is there. The open corner is going to be cool, i think. It won't be open for walking nor a big window. They are installing the same style silver, metalic fins from floor to ceiling of the opening. They are all on a slight angle. They will nicely mirror the metalic fins of the building itself. Cool design!!!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 7:02 PM
BANNED

A second Province opens March 10 in Phoenix
Posted by Phil Vettel, Chicago Tribune

Randy Zweiban, chef/owner of Province (161 N. Jefferson St., 312-669-9900), looked way west for a spot to reprise his Latin-influenced, eco-focused concept. And so a second Province will debut March 10 in the brand-new Westin Phoenix Downtown (which also debuts on the 10th).

Starwood, the hotel group that owns Westin and several other brands, approached Zweiban and his busines partner about re-creating Province in the Southwest. Zweiban, whose parents retired to the Phoenix area a few years ago, didn't need much convincing.

"It's a really beautiful location," says Zweiban. "There's a resurgence in downtown Phoenix; a lot of building is going on."

Zweiban says that the new Province will resemble the original in most respects, right down to the glass wall displaying biodynamic and sustainable wines, the cork tabletops, and even the living moss wall. The menu will be a little different; for one thing, the Phoenix location will serve breakfast and offer room service.

"The basic style of the menu will be the same," Zweiban says. "What will differ mostly is the seasonal changes. It's more of a three-season climate out there, rather than four or five in Chicago. I've found a great group of farmers to work with out here, and it's pretty awesome, getting samples of heirloom tomatoes in February."

Zweiban will head to Phoenix at the end of the week and will oversee training and the grand opening for another week or so. Thereafter, he estimates he'll trek out west four or five times a year for a few days each time. Luis San Martin, co-manager at the original Province from the beginning, will be the general manager of the Phoenix location.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:32 PM

Isn't it kind of fast to be opening the resturant? Last time I checked they still didn't even have floors.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Isn't it kind of fast to be opening the resturant? Last time I checked they still didn't even have floors.
HA! I know. The timeline cannot possibly work, however, they've made no statement saying it's delayed. Plus, the guy's getting on a plane!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 1:21 AM

You guys are thinking of the wrong space. The restaurant is not on the SE corner that has the Province window decals...that's just advertising. The restaurant is in the actual hotel/patio on the SW corner of the building.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 1:40 AM

It is right behind the cool atrium. Already looking forward to going!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:18 PM

It looks like they are getting close to finishing the exterior of the Westin lobby and the restaurant. I walked by and got some crappy cell phone shots.
Someone with a nice camera should go check it out, because they are working on the inside of the restaurant and its really looking good. That corner is going to look great when they get it all done.

westin 2 by PHXbikes, on Flickr

westinlobby by PHXbikes, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:22 PM
BANNED

Looks great. It's so funny how we all freaked out about that little rocky area with trees and it ended up being filled by something anyway. Does anyone have access to an updated site plan? It'd be interesting to see how a second tower would fit there now with the hotel lobby built further north than the north face of the tower.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:25 PM

Reminds me of a museum on the outside. :p I'm not going to lie, I would have liked some more windows on that western face but it still looks pretty good as is.

Same pictures but bigger...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:33 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Yikes thats pretty bleak, drab and brutalist. If they let some veins grow up on the outside it would help a lot, right now its pretty ugly.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Yikes thats pretty bleak, drab and brutalist. If they let some veins grow up on the outside it would help a lot, right now its pretty ugly.
It really looks a lot nicer in person. The stone has a marble finish and a nice shine. And the inside has that water feature and some nice metal touches, but my phone did a pretty crummy job of capturing it.
Also when i was trying to take pictures, this horrible looking couple next to me at the lightrail stop were alternatively screaming at each other and then sloppily making out. And i was only there for like two minutes. Downtown is the best!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:54 PM
BANNED

I'll take some pictures on a day off, unfortunately I don't know when one of those will be. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll have some time.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 12:19 AM

I was just thinking...it's crazy how this tower was in what seemed like dispair not too long ago, built and sitting empty...no one seemed to want it, and now it's the HQ of a major corporation and a Westin hotel...one of the nicest buildings downtown and maybe the only multi-purpose high rise in downtown.

Are there any other office/hotel buildings in downtown? In the Phoenix area?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 1:05 AM
Jotun

Reminds me of the CVS on Central & McDowell for some reason...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 1:06 AM

It is in such a nice new space with ASU, the Civic Space Park, nice new bus terminal (Well, nice for now and better than what they tore down!!!)

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:00 AM

Last edited by HX_Guy; Mar 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:08 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Ah these pics look a lot better/clearer. There's a bit of color texture to the block, its not just flat matte gray like I thought.

Though that 2nd story does still look gray which isn't as nice. Seems like they should've done it all in that slightly speckled block. Either way its nice to have that weird slice on Central and VB filled with something more useful than a dull plaza and a few trees.

Is that outdoor space thats now walled off the patio for Province or what exactly? I'm having a tough time figuring the geography of the layout not being there in person to see it. Also I assume there's a pool on the 2nd level where the gray block is, right?

Also, does it look like there's going to be any potential for other retail on the ground floor of OCPE? Over by 1st street that is, or does it look like the building will just have a huge lobby? It would be disappointing if its the latter.\

E: Also it looks like one of your pics isn't show up, you forgot the "J" in the Jpeg of the URL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest