HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 7:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

more to come later......

Last edited by 1ajs; Sep 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:23 AM
Capitalist

Hydro secrets set to emerge?
Whistleblowers' beef may get released in spat
By: Mary Agnes Welch

2/10/2009

Manitoba Hydro and the Public Utilities Board are in a standoff over key reports the regulator says it needs to properly assess the Crown corporation's potential financial and operating risks.

The back-and-forth between Hydro and the PUB has the potential to shine a light on a secret, 70-page whistleblowers' complaint against the power utility now under investigation

At least one of the risk reports outlines issues related to Hydro's finances and forecasting that could affect Hydro's bottom line to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, and also affect rates.

That report is central to a whistleblowers' complaint filed nearly a year ago under the province's new Public Interest Disclosure Act. The complaint alleged gross mismanagement of public funds and threats to public safety. But it became a hot potato, passed between several different regulators and watchdog agencies with virtually no investigation into the substance of the complaint so far.

Now it appears the Public Utilities Board, the regulator that sets hydro rates, has waded in to the matter.

The risk report is part of a huge batch of information the PUB has asked for in an effort to allay its growing fears that Hydro has taken on too much debt, is overly optimistic about exports to the United States and could be in trouble if a multi-year drought hits. All that could saddle Manitobans with unexpectedly high power bills.

"Those risks still have not been sufficiently detailed and quantified and accordingly the board will require substantial elaboration of Manitoba Hydro's construction program, export plans and risks," wrote the PUB in March of this year.

Hydro had until midnight Wednesday to provide the PUB with any internal risk reports and those prepared by at least four outside consultants. And the PUB has asked for a big study that lays out a half-dozen best- and worst-case scenarios for the province's power resources.

That deadline came and went but Hydro failed to turn them over even though the PUB has been asking for them for months. The PUB has also been trying to get a peek at Hydro's export contracts, sparking months of wrangling over whether that will happen.

"Clearly the board has been engaging Hydro on these issues and we have an expectation that we will receive the information we've asked for," said Gerry Gaudreau, the PUB's secretary and executive director.

Manitoba Hydro president and CEO Bob Brennan said the company plans to provide the PUB with all the risk reports, though they may not be public.

"What we want to do is put a context around them and we haven't done that yet -- why we asked for them and what the task was," said Brennan. "They will get them. It's only a matter of when."

Brennan said wrangling over disclosure to the PUB is nothing new -- Hydro has always been careful handing over sensitive competitive intelligence.

And he said any risks internal or external studies raised would have been investigated thoroughly, but the company may have simply made a judgment that it didn't share the concern.

"Whenever you get a report and there's something in it, you want to check it out," said Brennan. "I'm confident we're looking at everything we have to look at." Meanwhile, the PUB has found itself enmeshed in the whistleblowers' complaint itself -- even though it has no formal process to deal with such complaints and has never done so before. Gaudreau said the PUB has already received hundreds of pages of documents from the whistleblowers and is now trying to figure out how much of the information can be made public and how.

The whistleblower complaint was first filed with the Manitoba Ombudsman last December. But it was highly technical and focused on complex financial matters, so it was forwarded to Manitoba's auditor general.

In her most recent report, auditor general Carol Bellringer said an audit of Hydro's risks is on her to-do list this year, but it's not clear if the substance of the whistleblowers' complaint will be investigated.

The details of the complaint have been kept secret, despite the fact that the Public Interest Disclosure Act was intended to ensure information that's in the public's interest becomes public while the whistleblowers are protected from retribution.

source: Winnipeg FreePress

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 6:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea thats what happens when the province raids the money from them

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 3:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

The money belongs to the crown and so in many ways, the people of Manitoba. The province can do what it wishes with it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:09 AM

looks like the hydro building won the "2009 Best Tall Building - Americas" award given out by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

http://www.ctbuh.org/Events/Awards/B...B/Default.aspx

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 12:33 AM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanExPat View Post
looks like the hydro building won the "2009 Best Tall Building - Americas" award given out by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

http://www.ctbuh.org/Events/Awards/B...B/Default.aspx
It's been mentioned a few months ago.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 8:55 AM
visionary

Designer revives old ideas in new, greener buildings.

Designer revives old ideas in new, greener buildings. Building green means everything old is new again

Christopher Hume/toronto star

Though he calls himself a "climate engineer," Thomas Auer claims no godlike powers.

His firm, Transsolar, which has completed projects around the world, specializes in designing buildings that use natural processes to perform functions we now assign to mechanical systems. That can mean anything from heating and cooling to lighting and air supply.

"Our philosophy is that the building itself should do the work," the affable Auer explains. "Mechanical systems should be supplemental. Our buildings interact with the outdoors."

These sorts of things, he reminds us, are as beneficial to the people who live and/or work in his buildings as to the planet.

"We provide a better environment for people," Auer says. "If you're losing 10 per cent productivity because of a bad building, which is typical, that can cost more than the energy bill."

In Canada, Transsolar's most important project to date is the deeply impressive Manitoba Hydro headquarters in Winnipeg. The tower, which opened late last year, was designed by Toronto architectural firm Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg and Smith Carter of Winnipeg. Though a certain amount of tweaking remains to be done in the 22-storey glass tower, it already uses 65 per cent less energy than its conventional counterparts.

"It was enjoyable to work on this project," Auer says. "KPMB is one of the best firms in the world. We're not architects. Our intention is not to go back to the way things were done in the past, but to integrate old techniques from hundreds of years ago with modern architecture. People have used these techniques for centuries.

"Daylight is the most obvious thing," he says. "In New York City, for example, one-half of all electricity is used for lighting, and half of that is during daylight hours."

That no longer makes economic or environmental sense. Though some complain about the initial cost of building green, Auer insists sustainable construction doesn't need to cost more than ordinary, old-fashioned development.

The Manitoba Hydro tower sits on top of 300 bore holes, each 90 metres deep. That increased the price, but on the other hand the usual expense of air conditioning and heating was much lower. Auer estimates it will take a maximum of eight years for the geothermal system to pay for itself; after that, the savings will come right off the bottom line.

"The people at Hydro educated themselves," Auer says. "The client was always by our side."

That, however, remains the exception; too many builders look no further than the next quarter, which is itself a variation of the same problem.

For Auer, in town from Stuttgart, Germany, to address a conference on the world without oil, Toronto represents a city of opportunity. So far, his only completed scheme here is the Earth Rangers Centre, a small but much admired project.

More significant, perhaps, will be the study he's preparing on the Lower Don Lands precinct for Waterfront Toronto, the public agency created to revitalize the city's neglected former harbour lands. Given that the new mixed-use neighbourhoods will be built on what is now vacant land, they offer a rare chance to plan literally from the ground up.

"The intention is to build a carbon-neutral neighbourhood," Auer says. "There is a commitment from Waterfront Toronto and there is a commitment from the city. That's good because the neighbourhood will still be there long after the oil is gone. The potential on the waterfront is enormous."

Auer calls Toronto "exciting and innovative" and likes its "creative mindset." Let's hope his words aren't just another case of distant cities looking greener.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 1:12 AM
visionary

photo credit to www.empireblog.ca

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 1:17 AM
visionary

photo credit:www.empireblog.ca = empire photography

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
[Pictures]
Can Winnipeg get more of these? K thanks.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:16 PM

I guess there was no money left in the kitty for furniture. Too bad.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 5:22 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I guess there was no money left in the kitty for furniture. Too bad.
The offices, board rooms and waiting areas look well furnished to me. Not enough furniture in the lobby, roof and utility room for you?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
The offices, board rooms and waiting areas look well furnished to me. Not enough furniture in the lobby, roof and utility room for you?
The furniture looks old, like it was moved form the old building. It seems unsuited to the sleek look of the new building.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The furniture looks old, like it was moved form the old building. It seems unsuited to the sleek look of the new building.
What are you talking about? The furniture matches the decor perfectly. I think the colours in the white chairs are a bit off because of the way the picture was taken (HDR maybe?) Other than that, it looks sleek and modern to me. Black leather and thin legs match the building just fine.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:22 PM

Meh, the furniture in the last photos (mostly second last photo) stood out to me as well as not matching the decor very well. The white chairs above do, though. Rest of the building looks GORGEOUS

I love this:

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
What are you talking about? The furniture matches the decor perfectly. I think the colours in the white chairs are a bit off because of the way the picture was taken (HDR maybe?) Other than that, it looks sleek and modern to me. Black leather and thin legs match the building just fine.
Sure some of it looks fine. I guess I was focussing on the old school executive furniture, the old boardroom table with the non-matching woodgrain and the bistro tables and chairs in the solarium area. Maybe I am too picky...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:12 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Those photos hurt my brain.

Hopefully Empire isn't shooting for an architect or interior decorator because those are some pretty amateur looking photographs.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 1:52 AM
BANNED

So now we are knit-picking over furniture? Sheesh, how low can it go?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 1:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol

anyhow i should of been the one to shoot those o well.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:22 AM

I suppose I would be OK paying a bit more on my Hydro bill as long as I knew somewhere out there.. a Hydro employee had a sweet new desk and office chair.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan