HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
How about cheesy disco. Maybe Guy Lafleur can be convinced to adapt the lyrics to soccer.?
I'm feelin' it

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bet on rap or hiphop, I'd say.
No doubt

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
For some strange reason though the English have adopted "Sweet Caroline" by American singer Neil Diamond in recent years.
So has half the world

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
An Acajack flash of brilliance!

How about someone with talent re-does a new version of this:

... as The Good Old Soccer Game?

(I'll even volunteer to compose a verse or two in French!)
Too late, I had that idea in another forum, didn't catch on.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Too late, I had that idea in another forum, didn't catch on.
And here I thought I was onto something big!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
And here I thought I was onto something big!
There is still a "jealous" element among some soccer "fans"

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
An Acajack flash of brilliance!

How about someone with talent re-does a new version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJvrD80nJ4

... as The Good Old Soccer Game?

(I'll even volunteer to compose a verse or two in French!)
Good one, although my experience of soccer in Canada is that the soccer viewing/participating group and the equivalent hockey group don't have much overlap. In my experience hockey is the game followed by cradle/old stock Canadians and soccer more by immigrants and 1st generation Canadians. It could be changing but in my indoor team of 14, 11 weren't born in Canada, the other three have parents born outside of Canada and it looks like my outdoor team will be the same. Having said that, the teams are 50 + in age, and at that age group the takeup by multi generational canadian people playing is low.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
For some strange reason though the English have adopted "Sweet Caroline" by American singer Neil Diamond in recent years.
Many of the songs are reworked lyrics about the team, opponents or individual players to the chorus of a common song.

ie. Love will tear us apart changed to Giggs will tear them apart.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Good one, although my experience of soccer in Canada is that the soccer viewing/participating group and the equivalent hockey group don't have much overlap. In my experience hockey is the game followed by cradle/old stock Canadians and soccer more by immigrants and 1st generation Canadians. It could be changing but in my indoor team of 14, 11 weren't born in Canada, the other three have parents born outside of Canada and it looks like my outdoor team will be the same. Having said that, the teams are 50 + in age, and at that age group the takeup by multi generational canadian people playing is low.
I am not entirely surprised by I'd think the hockey song would be at least familiar to most of your soccer crew, and a cute nod to Canada and its heritage.

But as elly said I think some sports fans in Canada are a bit "churlish" (right term) about certain other sports' cultural dominance.

It probably wouldn't fly for that reason.

Dommage.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I am not entirely surprised by I'd think the hockey song would be at least familiar to most of your soccer crew, and a cute nod to Canada and its heritage.

But as elly said I think some sports fans in Canada are a bit "churlish" (right term) about certain other sports' cultural dominance.

Dommage.
Even though I'm firmly a 'soccer' guy and have little to no interest in hockey, I definitely appreciate a bit of the Stomper.

For interest in the World Cup, I think a summertime tournament would benefit the game in Canada as there could be tie ins with outdoor games, outdoor viewing parties, the Tim Bits leagues are in full force in the summer etc. But no, we have the tournament in November/December in a location with little to no home based history of the game in a location that has a terrible human rights record and many people have perished to build a number of stadiums that far outweigh the population that would ever use them.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Many of the songs are reworked lyrics about the team, opponents or individual players to the chorus of a common song.

ie. Love will tear us apart changed to Giggs will tear them apart.
Love Will Tear Us Apart - my God, what a beautiful song. Being a Joy Division/New Order fan, I've listened to it a thousand times. I actually did not know there was a chant based on this.

Perhaps why my two favourite team sports are soccer and college football is because of the all chanting and musical elements. I miss the first few years of TFC when I could actually regularly go to games. All the interpolated chants from old songs and even childrens' songs. A total vibe.

As for Canada's song, I hope someone's working on it now. We need something special. Whoever has a real banger of song waiting to be released, please hold on to it, modify the lyrics, and release it in the fall with a video to go along with it. I don't care if the song and video are as cheesy as World in Motion (New Order) or as beautiful and meaningful as Wavin' Flag by K'naan. That song wasn't the official song of WC 2010 but it used appropriately for it. Nelly Furtado's Forca was the official song for Euro 2004. That's two Canadians with songs that go extremely well with the beautiful game. Some Canadian artist out there has it in them to make another.

When the Raptors won the championship, I think everyone assumed Drake was going to a make a celebration song with the help of Noah 40 and Boi-1da in the studio and a video to go along with it, directed by Little X or Karena Evans. Instead, Masestro dropped a song soon after, which he apparently wrote the day they won. It shows. It's wasn't a very good song. Someone needs to be working on that Canada song now!

Last edited by megadude; Apr 10, 2022 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:48 AM

No idea who this guy is, but we shall soon see.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 8:35 AM

Blake does the Whitecaps TV broadcasts and used to be on TSN radio. Oh man I hope so!

Also Langley BC will be home to a new CPL franchise and a new SSS.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:18 PM
arf

Quote:

Dommage.
Think of the confusion and outrage when one got to: "The good old soccer game, it's the best game you can name..."

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 8:26 PM

Sounds like FIFA came back to Vancouver and asked them to reconsider so they want Vancouver to be in. They mentioned hosting the WWC where there were sold out at over 54000 people and Canada wasn't even playing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Sounds like FIFA came back to Vancouver and asked them to reconsider so they want Vancouver to be in. They mentioned hosting the WWC where there were sold out at over 54000 people and Canada wasn't even playing.
This neglects to mention that the team drawing that number was the US and their huge popularity in the NW US. Not even sure why it matters because Toronto wasn't even involved in the WWC.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:00 PM

If given the chance Vancouver would fill BC Place for a men's national team game as well. They have a history of supporting the team before they ever got good or popular.
And with real grass BC Place should become the National soccer stadium.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:09 PM

I didn't realize it was FIFA's decision on who the host city's were. Wonder if this leaves Edmonton out in the cold?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
If given the chance Vancouver would fill BC Place for a men's national team game as well. They have a history of supporting the team before they ever got good or popular.
And with real grass BC Place should become the National soccer stadium.
Just want to say I wasn't disagreeing with you personally about what was in your previous post. And there is no doubt any of the three host cities would sell out Canada games and likely the others as well.

The title of National Soccer stadium really doesn't mean much. That was once bestowed on Edmonton (and now BMO) and the conditions for that (the last I heard) were basically hosting one game a year. Also because of travel Vancouver could never be the long time host of the Nats with so many of the players from Ontario and now based in Europe.

I doubt you will see turf in BC Place for longer than a year. And in BC Place the installation issues will be more difficult than if you installed turf at Commonwealth. Getting grass to grow indoors is not easy. I would think there would also be HVAC/mold issues to contend with as well. Add in higher maintenance costs than artificial turf and I'd say it would be one and done. You never know, with two teams Lions and Caps they might give it a go but then you have trade shows etc, that's a real beating for turf to take

My issue is, there seems to be some veiled anti Edmonton narrative out there for no valid reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada