HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 6:58 PM

Pretty much confirmed that Pastis by Stephen Starr is coming to the old Barnes & Noble spot. It will take up all 3 floors with outdoor dining on Walnut.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Pretty much confirmed that Pastis by Stephen Starr is coming to the old Barnes & Noble spot. It will take up all 3 floors with outdoor dining on Walnut.
This is going to be sick. My only wish is we would get some other hospitality groups in the city. It seems like Glu, SCHULSON and Starr have a lions share of the CC market.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:45 PM

Beautiful day in CC. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bustling.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Yep. It was insane (in a good way) yesterday too. Lovely to see

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Not unhappy with this at all but seems strange as it's basically identical to Parc across the Square. I hope he's not planning on closing Parc and just consolidating to Pastis.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Not unhappy with this at all but seems strange as it's basically identical to Parc across the Square. I hope he's not planning on closing Parc and just consolidating to Pastis.
That's an interesting point. Hopefully he differentiates somehow but I'm sure that's being figured out. Parc seems too iconic to close. It's a Rittenhouse institution at this point.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 12:59 AM

Quote:
No shot he closes Parc. The place is always packed, is very difficult to get into, and last I heard, rakes in on average $80k in profit PER DAY.

I think the thought is Pastis will catch the overflow of people from Parc, but will also draw in its own crowd.

I had originally heard that Starr was looking to open Pastis in Fishtown, which to me makes more sense. But now I’m hearing it’s pretty much confirmed Pastis is going here. Who knows… could be wrong. We’ll see!

Last edited by summersm343; Apr 17, 2023 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 2:42 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
no shot he closes parc. The place is always packed, is very difficult to get into, and last i heard, rakes in on average $80k in profit per day.

i think the thought is pastis will catch the overflow of people from parc, but will also draw in its own crowd.

I had originally heard that starr was looking to open pastis in fishtown, which to me makes more sense. But now i’m hearing it’s pretty much confirmed pastis is going here. Who knows… could be wrong. We’ll see!

holy sh*t

Last edited by summersm343; Apr 17, 2023 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 1:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
No shot he closes Parc. The place is always packed, is very difficult to get into, and last I heard, rakes in on average $80k in profit PER DAY.

I think the thought is Pastis will catch the overflow of people from Parc, but will also draw in its own crowd.

I had originally heard that Starr was looking to open Pastis in Fishtown, which to me makes more sense. But now I’m hearing it’s pretty much confirmed Pastis is going here. Who knows… could be wrong. We’ll see!
Yea, Parc is one of the highest grossing restaurants in the US.
https://www.restaurantbusinessonline...0-independents

Cool about Pastis. I guess it closely follow the NYC concept?

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Apr 17, 2023 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 3:07 PM

Yes I'm aware that Parc is the top grossing Restaurant in PA and one of the top grossing in the country which is why opening up a Pastis 200 ft away is strange.

I've been to the Meatpacking NYC Pastis a few times. The restaurant is 99% identical to Parc. Interior design, menu design, menu items, server uniforms etc are 99% similar. Go look at the website/menu for the two places and tell me how they're different.

Basically Starr copied Keith Mcnally's Balthazar to open Parc. Parc I believe is a Starr/Domb partnership. When he opened Le Diplomate in DC he likely had a different partner so had to use a different name. Le Diplomate is the same as Parc down to the bread basket.

Then Starr partnered with Keith Mcnally to reopen Pastis and they decided to turn it into a mini-chain. NYC, DC, Miami and now Philly.

All that being said I think it would be a great addition to the square and it makes total sense but it will definitely cannabalize some Parc business because they're the same restaurant.

Last edited by nemesisinphilly; Apr 17, 2023 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm aware that Parc is the top grossing Restaurant in PA and one of the top grossing in the country which is why opening up a Pastis 200 ft away is strange.

I've been to the Meatpacking NYC Pastis a few times. The restaurant is 99% identical to Parc. Interior design, menu design, menu items, server uniforms etc are 99% similar. Go look at the website/menu for the two places and tell me how they're different.

Basically Starr copied Keith Mcnally's Balthazar to open Parc. Parc I believe is a Starr/Domb partnership. When he opened Le Diplomate in DC he likely had a different partner so had to use a different name. Le Diplomate is the same as Parc down to the bread basket.

Then Starr partnered with Keith Mcnally to reopen Pastis and they decided to turn it into a mini-chain. NYC, DC, Miami and now Philly.

All that being said I think it would be a great addition to the square and it makes total sense but it will definitely cannabalize some Parc business because they're the same restaurant.
Parc can afford to be canabalized a bit. It's always PACKED. Ritt Sq could be completely lined with restaurants (it almost already is) and they would be at capacity.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It was slammed everywhere! Tried to get to (already bloomed) Cherry Blossum festival in Fairmont but the line of cars was too long at 11:30. Driving around various parts of the city and it was all packed

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Parc can afford to be canabalized a bit. It's always PACKED. Ritt Sq could be completely lined with restaurants (it almost already is) and they would be at capacity.
Also, given the foot traffic around the square, all day French bistro fare makes the most sense. They can continue to capture the breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner crowds unlike say Italian cuisine or a steakhouse.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:33 PM

Yeah, if a Pastis/Starr restaurant does go here, we would have:

Barclay Prime
Parc
Devon
Rouge
a.bar
Pastis/New Starr Restaurant
New Schulson Restaurant at 1911 Walnut
Scarpetta
LaCroix

JUST fronting the park itself.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:36 PM

30 units in total

The ZBA Gives the OK to an Updated Project in East Mt. Airy

Current site:

Site plans:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...n-east-mt-airy

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:39 PM

Apartments, Grocery Store Moving Forward in Mantua After Long Journey

Current site:

Site plans:

Project renderings:

Quote:
We are thrilled to report that thanks to a trip to the Zoning Board of Adjustments, we have some updates on what’s planned. Lomax Real Estate Companies is leading the charge here, working with architects WRT to design a handsome complex, though we’re still in the dark about what will fill the space of the former art studio. This trip to the ZBA was due to a proposed increase in height to accommodate a full second floor (instead of a mezzanine level) for a medical center, which will sit above the grocery store, the operator of which has also changed since the original plans from 2019. The ZBA approved the change, so we are hopeful that we will see things start soon on the 72-unit building that will be the first phase of the 162-unit project.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-long-journey

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:40 PM

The Beverly Brings 15 Aging-in-Place Condos to Bella Vista

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...to-bella-vista

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:42 PM

Fishtown 7-11 to Say So Long, Seven Stories to Come

Current site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
That fence you see is due to the upcoming demolition of the building, per just-issued zoning permits. In case you forgot what was coming here since we told you about the proposal two years ago, a JKRP-designed project will soon create a more welcoming edifice than the chain-link fence. This by-right project will bring 107 units to the CMX-3 zoned lot, along with 5,500 sqft of retail fronting Girard Ave. and parking for 28 cars and 47 bikes accessible from E. Stiles St. to the north. The building will feature brick over the first five floors, before lighter panels top off the remaining two stories. Let’s check out this contemporary take on a traditional look.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...tories-to-come

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:43 PM

Really hope they cap Vine Street Expressway! What a dream come true that would be

Could a Mural for The Crane in Chinatown Overlook a Capped Vine Street Expressway?

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...eet-expressway

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:46 PM

16-Unit Building Will Rise at 24th & Alter in Point Breeze

Quote:
Just a step to the south, five adjoining parcels at 1111-19 S. 24th St. were recently granted a zoning permit to combine the five lots into one. PHL Builders is listed as the owner, and it appears that HDO Architecture is handling the design of this 45-foot, 16-unit building that will include five bicycle spaces. We don’t have any plans or renderings as of yet, but we would imagine a contemporary looking building here that at least somewhat resembles the more recent architectural vernacular of the block.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...n-point-breeze

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development