HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I was thinking the same thing and thinking of the dump hotel attached to Winnipeg's old terminal. No stop overs at YQR save the few mechanical or storm related issues. But then Winnipeg did build a new hotel on to their new terminal and there are hotels in Regina at grasslands which would pretty much qualify as the middle of nowhere as well. As long as its private money building the hotel.....have at it.
The catchment area for YQR is quite large. Early-morning flights become a lot more appealing if you can drive in from, say, Swift Current or Weyburn the night before, stay the night, and be walking distance to the terminal for your 5:00 or 6:00 flight.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The catchment area for YQR is quite large. Early-morning flights become a lot more appealing if you can drive in from, say, Swift Current or Weyburn the night before, stay the night, and be walking distance to the terminal for your 5:00 or 6:00 flight.
Yep. I checked out tripadvisor for the hotels on the YWG terminal grounds and the reviews appear to be written be a healthy mix of people who are obviously in for overnight business trips from other cities, and those who are from surrounding towns who have come in the night before a flight. Both of these groups are present at YQR too... even if downtown isn't that long of a drive from the airport, I'm sure some would prefer to be close to the terminal if they have an early morning flight (no need to mess around with taxis, rental car returns, etc.).

Considering how big the catchment area for YQR probably is, I'd imagine there would be a decent market for a terminal hotel. I mean, if Harbour Landing can support one, surely the airport could too.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:59 PM

Fire looks set to take out YMM airport. Wind has picked up and fire has jumped the road. It is larger than YXE or YQR. Has this ever happened before anywhere? YYM webcam:

http://www.metcam.navcanada.ca/hb/pl...&cam=65&lang=e

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:47 AM

Surprised to see planes still there. Guess no one thought it would get that far.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yep. I checked out tripadvisor for the hotels on the YWG terminal grounds and the reviews appear to be written be a healthy mix of people who are obviously in for overnight business trips from other cities, and those who are from surrounding towns who have come in the night before a flight. Both of these groups are present at YQR too... even if downtown isn't that long of a drive from the airport, I'm sure some would prefer to be close to the terminal if they have an early morning flight (no need to mess around with taxis, rental car returns, etc.).

Considering how big the catchment area for YQR probably is, I'd imagine there would be a decent market for a terminal hotel. I mean, if Harbour Landing can support one, surely the airport could too.
I have never used it but I believe one of the other things YWG has going for it is inter-city bus service uses the airport as a key terminal point. I wonder if the same was done in Saskatchewan if it would increase the ridership on intercity buses.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:05 AM

news said that camera has now been knocked out of service

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
news said that camera has now been knocked out of service
Been checking it since 7:45 PM and it is indeed now down. Not sure how live the pictures were.

Found this pic on twitter:

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
Been checking it since 7:45 PM and it is indeed now down. Not sure how live the pictures were.

Found this pic on twitter:
According to local media that is parts of the old terminal on fire.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:42 PM

YMM webcam is back up. Apparently heroic efforts by fire crews kept damage to a minimum. One small building was lost.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 2:56 PM

Delta leaving?

I don't have any confirmation, but it looks like Delta Airlines is pulling out of YQR at the end of July. I don't see any press releases anywhere, but I can not find a flight on Delta to MSP on any date after July 31. This is really too bad as our transborder service has gone to crap if Delta leaves. As for YXE, there are flights that are still bookable well into the fall.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 1:24 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I don't have any confirmation, but it looks like Delta Airlines is pulling out of YQR at the end of July. I don't see any press releases anywhere, but I can not find a flight on Delta to MSP on any date after July 31. This is really too bad as our transborder service has gone to crap if Delta leaves. As for YXE, there are flights that are still bookable well into the fall.
I thought that would be good for Winnipeg (connections), but, it appears that Winnipeg is losing it's mainline Delta service come September. The A319 is gone as one of the 4 daily flights, replaced by a mix of CR9 and CR1/2.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Your not going to see a press release. Airlines issues them to attract attention to new flights and attract customers. It is rare when a flight is dropped.

The local press will eventually figure it out on their own and provide some "unwanted" attention to Delta.

Given westjet and Delta partner you may see a more traffic diverted into Calgary or carried over the existing WestJet flights into the US.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 4:54 AM

Before we all panic about this, does anyone in the know have any info that would confirm this? Because there could be a simple explanation for flights not showing up online.

Because if true what an unqualified disaster it would be.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 5:23 AM

Yeah I'd be really interested to hear about this because it doesn't make any sense. As far as I can tell it's heavily utilized and it's been going for decades.

The end of Delta in Regina would effectively remove "international" from "Regina International Airport".

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Yeah I'd be really interested to hear about this because it doesn't make any sense. As far as I can tell it's heavily utilized and it's been going for decades.

The end of Delta in Regina would effectively remove "international" from "Regina International Airport".
I don't know anything more than Robag reported. I had a look on Delta's website trying to do a booking from Regina to SFO in November and all flights that came up were via Regina-Calgary-Seattle-San Francisco or Regina-Calgary-LAX-San Francisco. Basically using WestJet codeshare flights.

That said, there is something wrong in that trying to search for a trip back east like LaGuardia or MSP it comes up with you can't their from here. If they are dropping Regina there are more WestJet codeshares that need to be setup that are not in the system yet.

Overall I don't know. If Delta pulls out Regina is still an international airport with WestJet flying year round to Las Vegas and all the winter flights down south.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Overall I don't know. If Delta pulls out Regina is still an international airport with WestJet flying year round to Las Vegas and all the winter flights down south.
That's why I said effectively. But still it would remove the only daily international flight. All the rest are seasonal.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 4:37 PM

I guess Winnipeg has upcoming issues with Delta as well. Last month, I asked the RAA's CEO with regards to: "Instead of courting U.S.-based carriers, why don't they pursue Canadian-based carriers?" He said that they are working on that. (I'll bet they are REALLY working on that now in light of this news here.)

Southern Saskatchewan does experience some bleeding to Minot insothat they can utilize Allegiant.

The last (and only) Canadian-based carrier to serve the U.S. from Saskatchewan was Norcanair out of Saskatoon. Initially, during the late '70s to July of '81, Norcanair had a milk run of Saskatoon-Regina-Minot. (Frontier started flying '737s in July, '81 until '86 on a Saskatoon-Regina-Minot-Denver (Stapleton) milk run. After Frontier shut down, Norcanair resumed service; however, to Minneapolis until, at least the early '90s. In 1995, Northwest started.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post

The last (and only) Canadian-based carrier to serve the U.S. from Saskatchewan was Norcanair out of Saskatoon.
Maybe I'm missing something but Westjet isn't Canadian based?

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch go View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but Westjet isn't Canadian based?
They're seasonal to the US.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
They're seasonal to the US.
I thought the Vegas flight was year round. Just not daily. I guess I am wrong it looks to be seasonal.

Phoenix would be the interesting one to watch. American will likely reduce it over time but it is still one of their hubs. WestJet also codeshares with American and Phoenix is both a common tourist destination and provides some good transfer options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan