HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 11:03 PM

^ i have lived there from 1980-1992 off and on and then again from 2000-2007. tucson will always be special to me as its the town i was born in and grew up in. but ive also seen the city devolve from a semi-diverse economy to a hugely service based economy (splitting hairs, i know) all while resisting growth in all the ludicrous liberal ways that have only left the city a giant sprawling mess with graffiti, weeds and trash blighting much of the city. but, i will say that it has far and away the best mexican food in the US so it will always have that!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:38 AM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
poconoboy... your logic or thought process using one or two (flawed) examples then wrapping that up along with everything else in absoultes is what is absurd. After reading your last post, my honest reaction was "I bet this guy is a commenter on the azcentral message/comment boards."

Think what your useless mind wants, in all honesty, I don't give a shit. I will however give you the Athens thing... I had no idea that metro was only 3.2 mil... or 4 mil... depending on where you read. i would have thought at least 5.
Who the hell goes on AZCentral? I live in Tucson. We have our own forum that I am not a member of.

Since you have failed disastrously at comparing the history of Phoenix and Tucson, based off of which this discussion formed, I have no choice but to believe that you are arguing with me for the sake of arguing. The more you reply to my posts, the more I believe that you are hopelessly incompetent. I know that ignoramuses would rather stay ingorant than to actually incorporate some sort of logic into their thinking, so I am not surprised that you don't care what I think. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 1:52 PM

^ dude, you are starting to sound like a bratty 17-year-old. are you? nobody gives a flying fig about your bitchfest on this subject.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:14 PM
BANNED

This thread is funny. If tucson didnt suck, people wouldnt be arguing. And thos arguing in its favor are just defensive because they know it sucks.

*dont mind me. Just fueling the fire.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
This thread is funny. If tucson didnt suck, people wouldnt be arguing. And thos arguing in its favor are just defensive because they know it sucks.

Not very funny; however I bet you'd be a funny drunk. It seems there isn't enough to talk about in the Phoenix thread so you need to spread your knowledge of nothingness to the Tucson board.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Trolley route includes two Downtown stops
September 04, 2009
http://www.downtowntucson.org/

The Old Pueblo Trolley makes two stops on its loop through Downtown. The Trolley stops on Fifth Avenue between Congress Street and Broadway. It also stops on Toole Avenue just before it heads northbound through the Fourth Avenue Underpass. The Old Pueblo Trolley runs from 6-10 pm on Fridays, noon-midnight on Saturdays and noon-6 pm on Sundays.

For more information visit www.oldpueblotrolley.org or call 792-1802.
It would be nice if the trolley was until 1 or 2am on friday and saturdays. I think the nightlife along 4th Ave and Congress could support extending the hours.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
It would be nice if the trolley was until 1 or 2am on friday and saturdays. I think the nightlife along 4th Ave and Congress could support extending the hours.
As the trolley is staffed by volunteers (most of them elderly and/or retired), you probably won't see extended hours until the streetcar is up and running in 2011--which I believe is scheduled to run until 2 am on weekends.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
As the trolley is staffed by volunteers (most of them elderly and/or retired), you probably won't see extended hours until the streetcar is up and running in 2011--which I believe is scheduled to run until 2 am on weekends.
It will be a wait, but good news nonetheless.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:22 AM

From pool to lobby, the Westward Look Resort on East Ina has a
new look, one that returns to its traditions.
(photo: Westward Look Resort)

Resort's $10M renovations
Westward Look harks back to its history; new chef emboldens Gold menu

By Alan M. Petrillo
The Explorer
September-09-2009

Getting back to your roots can be a good thing, especially for a resort whose history dates to the year Arizona became a state. Westward Look Resort recently found that harking back to its history has proven to be a bold stroke, with a total remake of its 241 guest rooms, its lobby, bar and grill, and restaurant. Total cost of the resort's renovations was more than $10 million. "We tried to figure out what guests wanted, and matched those needs with the style and feel of the resort and what it had come to be," said Alan S. Klein, general manager. "We didn't jump into the renovations and try to be all glitz and glamour, but figured out what materials we should use to insure we brought a lot of the historical elements into the renovation."

Klein said the design scheme used many of the natural colors and elements found in the Sonoran Desert. "We tried to use woods that are typically found in the Southwest and went back to our heritage, which is more the Spanish-American style rather than New Mexican," he said. So guest rooms have more of a Spanish influence in them now, with wood furniture reflecting that style. Westward Look also used natural travertine for the floors and countertops in guest bathrooms, and carried those elements into the public spaces so the public bathrooms have the fit and finish of guest rooms, Klein noted. Guest room beds are of a simple design, Kline pointed out, with a custom-made and private-label Sealy pillow-top mattress covered by 400-thread count cotton sheets and duvets. "We chose materials that make you feel comfortable, but also are right for this place in the desert," he said.

The public areas were not so much changed as upgraded to 21st century standards, according to Klein. "We rejuvenated our lobby and removed the flagstone flooring, which gave a really cold feeling to the guests," Klein said. "We went back to the mahogany wood that our Vigas Room had when it was built in 1912, which is still intact today. We matched the wood floor all the way from the Vigas Room, down the steps and into the main lobby." All furniture in the main lobby and other public spaces was changed and designed to reflect the style of the guest rooms. In addition, all three pools on the property were overhauled, had a new pebble sheen applied, new pool decking installed and new patio furniture.

In conjunction with the renovation, the resort unveiled its signature restaurant, Gold, with a new menu created by executive chef James Wallace. Gold's interior sports new colors (gold, copper and pewter), as well as fabrics and artwork. Wallace said Westward Look's owners, American Property Hospitality Management in Los Angeles, wanted him to put his signature on Gold's menu. "I'm a creature of component parts and my style reflects everywhere I've been, and I've been all over," Wallace said. "So Gold's menu is more comfortable and casual now, keeping some of the old favorites, like filet mignon and wild mushroom ravioli, but adding many new dishes." Two of those new dishes include the volcano lamb shank made with sun-dried bing cherry jus lie and porcini mushroom risotto, and the Short Stack, a pan-roasted petit filet mignon, seared rare yellow fin tuna, and a grilled day boat scallop in mission fig sauce and watercress cream. "I prepared those two dishes for the management and figured if they were good enough to get me hired, they were good enough for our menu," Wallace said.

Wallace started cooking professionally in Portland, Ore., at a late age — 32 — having first worked as a deckhand on a Hawaiian tugboat, a house painter and Alaskan truck driver. He later cooked in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, and then the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, where he was executive sous chef. Executive chef jobs followed at Wyndham Palm Springs Hotel and Rock Resorts Grant Teton Lodge in Wyoming. Westward Look Resort lured him to Tucson in October, 2008. The menu in the resort's Lookout Bar and Grill was the first thing Wallace tackled when he came on board, changing it to a contemporary American style he called "more or less comfort food that reflects a composite of places I've been." Wallace said he developed a barbeque sauce from one he tasted in a small bar in a Virgin Islands parking lot, and also added fish tacos and shrimp tacos to the lounge menu, molded after similar dishes found at Tacos Rosie in Los Cabos, Mexico. "People are looking for regionality when they come to the resort," Wallace said, "so we try to put our own feel into the indigenous ingredients of the Southwest."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:40 AM

Suburban Marana is working to incentivize the construction of roadway improvements near a proposed retail center at Marana Rd. and I-10:

Developer, town near agreement pact
Roads would be repaid from Mercantile sales tax revenue

By Dave Perry
The Explorer
September-09-2009

On Sept. 15, the Marana Town Council is expected to consider a development agreement that would provide incentives for a commercial developer to build roads into and around the Marana Mercantile project proposed for Marana Road and Interstate 10 on the community's northwest side. As proposed, developer DTD-Devco would be required to pay for roadway improvements, to be repaid from sales tax revenue collected by the town from the retail center. Specifically, the property owner would be repaid 100 percent of the cost of roadway improvements as derived from 45 percent of revenue generated by the town's sales tax levy. Marana would retain the remaining 55 percent of its sales tax dollars.

Michael Racy, representing DTD-Devco and Desert Troon, told the town council last month that reimbursements should total less than $5 million. "I really think we've come up with something that is a win for the entire community," Racy said. In August, Town Attorney Frank Cassidy explained the proposal for Marana Mercantile, with an anchor retailer – "expected to be a WalMart" -- at the heart of the 39.09-acre parcel that would hold up to 280,000 square feet of retail shopping development. "We want to try to address how to pay for some of the improvements," Cassidy told the council. "We are asking your feedback concerning the main deal elements that are proposed."

At Marana Mercantile, there is an incentive for earlier road development, in the form of higher interest rates paid by the town. From a start of 5.5 percent annual interest on the unpaid balance of the road construction cost, the scale falls every 12 months, eventually to 4 percent interest if the project remains undone into 2015. "We're trying to incentivize the prompt development of the site," Cassidy said. "They are not obligated to build it within any time period. The interest rate incentivizes a quicker construction of it." Roads to be improved include sections of Marana Road, Sandario Road and Marana Main Street. Marana would share in some of the costs for the "Shoofly," a detour road on the property.

Marana has entered such an agreement for road improvements "one other time," with the Marana Spectrum development at the Twin Peaks interchange project now under construction. At Twin Peaks, "they're required to build within 3-1/2 years after the interchange is opened," Cassidy said. Councilman Jon Post wondered if other nearby landowners should share in the cost of road construction near Marana Mercantile. "Why aren't some of the other property owners required (to make) payback when they go for development?" Post asked. "I see benefit by other landowners. They're not asked to reimburse the town." As nearby landowners "come in for entitlements, they would be required to contribute their fair share," Cassidy replied. "Until they move forward with an entitlement, you're not going to get much payback."

The town had considered the possibility of a wider improvement district for road construction, but that idea was sidetracked by current economic conditions, Cassidy noted. Racy said "the entire market has changed," and with it has come "a rational level of transportation development" for the property, which is expected to have retail, restaurant and banking development space. "Actual groundbreaking in this market is almost impossible to say," Racy said. He put forward "three to five years, but don't hold me to it. All bets are off." Racy praised the town and its representatives for meeting numerous times to discuss the plan.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 3:22 PM

Quote:

From pool to lobby, the Westward Look Resort on East Ina has a
new look, one that returns to its traditions.
(photo: Westward Look Resort)

Resort's $10M renovations
Westward Look harks back to its history; new chef emboldens Gold menu

By Alan M. Petrillo
The Explorer
September-09-2009

Getting back to your roots can be a good thing, especially for a resort whose history dates to the year Arizona became a state. Westward Look Resort recently found that harking back to its history has proven to be a bold stroke, with a total remake of its 241 guest rooms, its lobby, bar and grill, and restaurant. Total cost of the resort's renovations was more than $10 million. "We tried to figure out what guests wanted, and matched those needs with the style and feel of the resort and what it had come to be," said Alan S. Klein, general manager. "We didn't jump into the renovations and try to be all glitz and glamour, but figured out what materials we should use to insure we brought a lot of the historical elements into the renovation."

Klein said the design scheme used many of the natural colors and elements found in the Sonoran Desert. "We tried to use woods that are typically found in the Southwest and went back to our heritage, which is more the Spanish-American style rather than New Mexican," he said. So guest rooms have more of a Spanish influence in them now, with wood furniture reflecting that style. Westward Look also used natural travertine for the floors and countertops in guest bathrooms, and carried those elements into the public spaces so the public bathrooms have the fit and finish of guest rooms, Klein noted. Guest room beds are of a simple design, Kline pointed out, with a custom-made and private-label Sealy pillow-top mattress covered by 400-thread count cotton sheets and duvets. "We chose materials that make you feel comfortable, but also are right for this place in the desert," he said.

The public areas were not so much changed as upgraded to 21st century standards, according to Klein. "We rejuvenated our lobby and removed the flagstone flooring, which gave a really cold feeling to the guests," Klein said. "We went back to the mahogany wood that our Vigas Room had when it was built in 1912, which is still intact today. We matched the wood floor all the way from the Vigas Room, down the steps and into the main lobby." All furniture in the main lobby and other public spaces was changed and designed to reflect the style of the guest rooms. In addition, all three pools on the property were overhauled, had a new pebble sheen applied, new pool decking installed and new patio furniture.

In conjunction with the renovation, the resort unveiled its signature restaurant, Gold, with a new menu created by executive chef James Wallace. Gold's interior sports new colors (gold, copper and pewter), as well as fabrics and artwork. Wallace said Westward Look's owners, American Property Hospitality Management in Los Angeles, wanted him to put his signature on Gold's menu. "I'm a creature of component parts and my style reflects everywhere I've been, and I've been all over," Wallace said. "So Gold's menu is more comfortable and casual now, keeping some of the old favorites, like filet mignon and wild mushroom ravioli, but adding many new dishes." Two of those new dishes include the volcano lamb shank made with sun-dried bing cherry jus lie and porcini mushroom risotto, and the Short Stack, a pan-roasted petit filet mignon, seared rare yellow fin tuna, and a grilled day boat scallop in mission fig sauce and watercress cream. "I prepared those two dishes for the management and figured if they were good enough to get me hired, they were good enough for our menu," Wallace said.

Wallace started cooking professionally in Portland, Ore., at a late age — 32 — having first worked as a deckhand on a Hawaiian tugboat, a house painter and Alaskan truck driver. He later cooked in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, and then the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, where he was executive sous chef. Executive chef jobs followed at Wyndham Palm Springs Hotel and Rock Resorts Grant Teton Lodge in Wyoming. Westward Look Resort lured him to Tucson in October, 2008. The menu in the resort's Lookout Bar and Grill was the first thing Wallace tackled when he came on board, changing it to a contemporary American style he called "more or less comfort food that reflects a composite of places I've been." Wallace said he developed a barbeque sauce from one he tasted in a small bar in a Virgin Islands parking lot, and also added fish tacos and shrimp tacos to the lounge menu, molded after similar dishes found at Tacos Rosie in Los Cabos, Mexico. "People are looking for regionality when they come to the resort," Wallace said, "so we try to put our own feel into the indigenous ingredients of the Southwest."
You know, I had no idea the resort was that old! Here I was thinking Arizona Inn was one of the oldest, Westword Look has got it beat by a couple decades!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 3:13 AM

Securing adequate parking was essential for Madden Media to relocate its 70+ employees to downtown's historic MacArthur Building, originally constructed in 1907 as the Hotel Heidel to accommodate train travelers:

Madden Media CEO Kevin Madden, Project Manager
Tato Alvarez of Steve Hazen Ltd. and Vice President
Jill Madden during the renovation.
(photo: Kerri Stalker)

Madden move changes some employees’ lifestyles
September 09, 2009
by Teya Vitu
http://www.downtowntucson.org/

Madden Media moved its 71 employees downtown Aug. 28 into the triangle-shaped MacArthur Building, instantly adding six dozen people to the street scene, lunch scene and parking scene. “A lot of people, they are just happy as larks,” Chief Executive Kevin Madden said. “A lot of our people are younger. They are part of the club crowd. What they’re exited about is this cool building.” Madden bought the MacArthur Building, 345 E. Toole Ave., from the city last year for $1.7 million and invested more than that to renovate it for his print and online marketing company. The company had long outgrown its 13,000-square-foot leased offices on Fort Lowell Road. The 22,000 square feet in the 1907 MacArthur Building sets the company up for the future. “Everybody gets large offices or nice cubes,” Madden said. “When the day comes, it won’t be quite so spacious. I can put 30 more or 50 more people in here.”

The MacArthur Building was the first successful negotiation for the Downtown Tucson Partnership to sell selected city- and Pima County-owned properties to the private sector. Even in the first few days Downtown, some Madden employees have already changed their lifestyles. “I have nine people riding their bikes to work,” Madden said. “I have four people that have already moved Downtown in the last three months. Some others are contemplating it.” Roger and Shawna Sampson have found Downtown an exciting place to live. “We moved from the northeast area to Downtown to save money on commuting and to participate in the culture and activities available there,” Roger Sampson said. “Shawna loves being so close to the Tucson Museum of Art, and we’ve attended several hockey games and concerts.”

Madden’s purchase agreement with the city also included a lease for the triangle-shaped parking lot to the north of the building, which striped out to 42 parking spaces. Madden employees also have access to 15 spaces in the Pennington Street Garage for $30 per space per month. While the younger employees like downtown for the “scene,” Madden is enjoying the business buzz. “My initial take is it has more of a business feel (than a strip mall), more hustle and bustle,” Madden said. “There’s a city at work. There’s no negative. I think it is a real plus.” Madden said he believes having the company Downtown will help recruit future employees to the company that publishes Tucson Home and Tucson Guide magazines and the official visitors guides for the Metropolitan Tucson Convention & Visitors Bureau and Arizona Office of Tourism.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 8:24 AM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post

This is funny. Tucson sucks so much that half of the Phoenix regulars have decided to regularly post in the Tucson forum. It's odd that you rarely see any Tucson regulars meddling in Phoenix's forum. Maybe it's a sign of just how dull Phoenix is.

It continues to be hilarious to me that people from a city the size of Phoenix, with 1.6 million people, feel the need to compete with Tucson, that doesn't even have 550,000 people. That really just shows how lame Phoenix is. I guess when you can't compete with cities of a comparable size, i.e., Philadelphia, San Diego, Dallas, etc., you develop a pretty intense inferiority complex.

Oh well. Keep the debate going.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
This is funny. Tucson sucks so much that half of the Phoenix regulars have decided to regularly post in the Tucson forum. It's odd that you rarely see any Tucson regulars meddling in Phoenix's forum. Maybe it's a sign of just how dull Phoenix is.

It continues to be hilarious to me that people from a city the size of Phoenix, with 1.6 million people, feel the need to compete with Tucson, that doesn't even have 550,000 people. That really just shows how lame Phoenix is. I guess when you can't compete with cities of a comparable size, i.e., Philadelphia, San Diego, Dallas, etc., you develop a pretty intense inferiority complex.

This is a great point. Tucson is more comparable to Albuquerque than Phoenix. Albuquerque (like Tucson) is a nice city in its own right, but when some Phoenix posters continue to show their apathy and ignorance about Tucson, it doesn't bode well for the entire state of Arizona and only makes Albuquerque look like a better choice in the end. Some people visit these boards looking for advice on where to move to and not everyone who's thinking about moving to the Southwest is looking at Phoenix as an option.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 3:32 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Yeah, it's so dull up here with about 2389293823x the development and happenings going on. There's like 10-20x the amount of threads about Phoenix and Phoenix projects. This entire subforum is filled with Phoenix threads and there have been multiple Phoenix catch-all threads. There's 1 Tucson thread... which was actually started before the Phoenix thread, IIRC (EDIT, the Tucson thread was started over a year before this 2nd Phoenix thread). Yet there are 10 times the posts in the Phoenix thread (which is part 2).

I think everyone is done with this debate. I'll (and we'll) continue to think what we want and vice versa. The end.

PS. azliam... apathy and ignorance has been a two-way street in this thread and debate, in case you haven't noticed.

PPS. Seriously, the end, for me at least.

Last edited by PHX31; Sep 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yeah, it's so dull up here with about 2389293823x the development and happenings going on. There's like 10-20x the amount of threads about Phoenix and Phoenix projects. This entire subforum is filled with Phoenix threads and there have been multiple Phoenix catch-all threads. There's 1 Tucson thread... which was actually started before the Phoenix thread, IIRC (EDIT, the Tucson thread was started over a year before this 2nd Phoenix thread). Yet there are 10 times the posts in the Phoenix thread (which is part 2).

I think everyone is done with this debate. I'll (and we'll) continue to think what we want and vice versa. The end.

PS. azliam... apathy and ignorance has been a two-way street in this thread and debate, in case you haven't noticed.

PPS. Seriously, the end, for me at least.
Yes, I have actually noticed it recently, but for most of the time I've read these threads, it's been ignorance on the parts of some Phoenix posters (all you need to do is go back and read both threads). In any case (AGAIN), both of these cities have many similarities and differences. There is room in this state for BOTH cities and I surely wish people would learn to respect both cities in spite of their flaws.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:11 PM

Quote:

sorry, we didn't realize this was "your" forum. must be great getting only your point of view, as naive as it may be. truthfully, since nothing actually ever happens in tucson development-wise, the only thing to do here is take jabs at people and bicker.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
sorry, we didn't realize this was "your" forum. must be great getting only your point of view, as naive as it may be. truthfully, since nothing actually ever happens in tucson development-wise, the only thing to do here is take jabs at people and bicker.
Truth be told, you haven't lived in Tucson in quite awhile. Instead of throwing out sweeping generalizations about things that you now know nothing about, why don't you go out and live a little?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:55 PM

All I know is my hometown is Pinetop, and it has forgotten more history than Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Paris and Nice will collectively ever know!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:27 AM

Although the city is justifying its rent reduction for Maynards Market and Kitchen at the Historic Train Depot, other merchants are crying favoritism:

Major downtown merchant gets big City Council rent cut
By Rob O'Dell
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

A new lease that will save a prominent downtown business owner nearly $100,000 in rent until 2015 was enthusiastically approved by the City Council on Wednesday. The council voted 6-0, with Councilman Steve Leal absent, to lower the rent for Maynards Market and Kitchen in the Historic Train Depot on North Toole Avenue. Maynards is owned by Richard Oseran, who also owns the Hotel Congress across the street. The council voted to lower Oseran's rent by nearly $2,000, to $5,300 a month, even though he doesn't begin paying rent for Maynards until June 2011. A previous lease gave Oseran free rent for the space for 3 1/2 years. That free rent is equal to about a $220,000 taxpayer subsidy if calculated using the new rent rate that Oseran will begin paying mid-2011. It would be about $310,000 in taxpayer subsidies if using the rent rate established in the previous lease. Once Oseran does start paying rent in mid-2011, he will save about $100,000 in rent until the lease expires in December 2015.

The news that Oseran, one of downtown's biggest business owners, was receiving a break on his rent angered a number of downtown business owners, who decried Oseran's rent reductions as favoritism because the city refuses to help many smaller businesses. Council members praised Maynards as a downtown success story and said the rent reduction was the right move. "This is a fair and just decision, consistent with private-sector practices," said Mayor Bob Walkup. "We have a tenant that has proved success, and we want to reward success." Councilwoman Karin Uhlich said the "entire community is celebrating the success of Maynards," adding she's convinced the city is getting "more than a fair return on this investment." Oseran is making things happen downtown, added Councilwoman Nina Trasoff, who said she was "delighted" to make the motion that Oseran's future rent be lowered. "This is an unusual step to be taken, but it's also unusual times," Trasoff said.

Oseran said he's invested nearly $1 million in improving the city-owned building and said the rent reduction "continues to allow us to make the investment in the business to be successful." When asked about the nearly $100,000 he would save in rent, Oseran said he hadn't calculated how much he would save over the life of the lease. He said the city adjusted Maynards future rent to reflect the current market rates, just like many private landlords are doing. "It wouldn't have been a newsworthy event had it been a private landlord," Oseran said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest