HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 11:30 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Athlos Academies remodel of the old Macy's and before that The Bon Marché, but the original store was the C.C. Anderson’s Golden Rule department store.

Quote:
http://www.boiseartsandhistory.org/b...den-rule-store
The building was designed by Pietro Belluschi, an architect who led the Modern Movement, and the firm Tourtellotte & Hummel, the eminent architectural firm of Boise and the designers of several significant buildings in the area, and around the country.

An additional floor

Sometimes I think I would like to see the convention center built upwards but if that happened it would block this hawt view of The Aspen. Does that make my a nimby even if I don't live downtown?

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; May 8, 2016 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:22 PM
not a cynic

Not in the news: My sources have told me as of March 1st, CWI has closed on the west downtown property they coveted. Quietly they've become the new owners of 3150 W Main aka the Bob Rice Ford property. Goodbye $millions in urban renewal funding, it was a nice dream while it lasted.

Now if only they could clean up all the abandoned cars, junk, garbage and the it's quickly become the new Cooper Ct with people already camping out.

Just a small example of the junk yard that CWI is now the proud owner of:

These have been there for months

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:38 PM
not a cynic

On the flip side, to negate my rant, here's a rave about ES Park. Being the special person I am, I got a special tour inside the park. BTW, do not go in there without permission, the security guard takes his job very seriously. Oh yeah, the Pleasanton spur path is set to open soon, supposedly before memorial day. They're already installing the fence on the north side of the spur to keep people out of the rest of the park while landscaping continues. So you'll be able to bike, launch boats and lounge at 2 of the new sandy beaches.

This place is truly going to be more awesome than can be put into words.

Auto bridge and playground and concrete water slides???

Looking north from atop Friendship Island.

Auto bridge with new greenbelt going under on right side.

From the new Pleasanton greenbelt spur looking WSW. Temp fence going in just to the right.

Last edited by boisecynic; May 9, 2016 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post

Looking north from atop Friendship Island.
Great shots guys.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:54 PM
Closed account

Parcel B

Design Review
DRH16-00079 scheduled for tomorrow, May 11th, at 5:00 pm has been cancelled. The applicant has requested to be placed on the June 8, 2016 public hearing.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 2:41 PM

Here is more detailed info regarding the Element news posted recently:

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...ateboard-park/

Top-rung skateboard designer to create center next to Boise’s skateboard park

Quote:
One of the world’s leading skateboard equipment and apparel design firms is opening a “creative retreat” and community center within just an “ollie” – a leaping skateboard maneuver – of Boise’s Rhodes Park.

Element will remain headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., but Boise will become a special place for Element, which designs and distributes skateboard, accessories, apparel, back packs and duffel bags around the world with company stores in Times Square, Orlando, London, Paris, Melbourne and Universal City, Calif.
Quote:
“I was riding my bike, looking at the park, and there it was, a perfect place for us to have our space,” Schillereff said.

He added that Rhodes was built “by one of the greatest skateboard park builders on the planet.”

“In my personal opinion, Rhodes is probably the greatest skateboard park in North America,” he said. “Wow, this is pretty hard core. They picked a place where skateboarders feel at home.”

Has anyone else heard about El Gallo Giro opening up in Old Boise in the location Flatbread Pizza used to be?

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Has anyone else heard about El Gallo Giro opening up in Old Boise in the location Flatbread Pizza used to be?
Yes, I had lunch at the Glenwood location last week, they had a sign about their new downtown location! Can't wait!

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:11 AM

Could this be a sign of a future Boise/Portland Timbers relationship and a new soccer team? Let's hope so.

http://www.ktvb.com/sports/boise-nat...bers/185471579

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
Could this be a sign of a future Boise/Portland Timbers relationship and a new soccer team? Let's hope so.

http://www.ktvb.com/sports/boise-nat...bers/185471579
While I would love it if that was the case, it's more likely just the Timbers forming a direct relationship with the nationals. They're already partnered with Idaho Youth Soccer, it makes sense from a scouting perspective to form direct relationships with big clubs here.

http://www.timbers.com/post/2015/05/...er-association

And the more I think about it, the less excited I am about a Portland-Boise soccer team. USL teams that directly feed into MLS teams have restrictions on which competitions they can play in (like they can't play in the US Open Cup, one of the biggest and oldest tournaments for soccer in North America) and the play is noticeably worse than teams that aren't feeders for other MLS teams. With feeder teams, the clubs are more concerned with individual player growth then making a fun team to watch, or winning cups. I think Boise has the size and interest to support a USL/NASL team, and I'd rather us have our own club and identity than be a place to make scouting for T2 easier.

But then again I'm a Sounders fan so maybe I'm biased.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:44 PM
All man. Half nuts.

looks like the Village at Meridian is going to expand by 225,000 sq ft, according to an article today on IBR.

the expansion doesn't seem to follow their original plan, which looked like this:

the reason i say this is because the article states the expansion will include a second gathering place similar to the fountain area, which wasn't included in the original design.

i searched for new renderings or plans online, but found nothing. the IBR article didn't feature anything.

---

as for the light rail, i do hope it's similar to what Little Rock put in. Boise could definitely use a "starter rail" system connecting the downtown core and BSU.

i have little to no doubt it will not happen, but i'd be pleasantly surprised/amazed if the mayor is able to find a way to get it done.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:20 PM
Closed account

Work has started on Royal Blvd extension between 9th and Capitol with tree removal.
Hyatt Boise Place

Inn at 500 S Capitol

Residence Inn by Marriott with Inn across the street

Buffalo Wild Wings sign up on Clearwater Analytics Bldg

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:55 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

façade for West Elm, Idaho Street
as of last Saturday

The fabulous Lunch Box lady. A Brazilian or Mankini for anyone?

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 12:29 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Earlier today I went to Edwards Greenhouse on Hill Road to buy some tomato plants, my camera was in my car and here you go.

36th Street Garden Center and Bistro
http://www.36streetgardencenter.com/

I have always liked this neighborhood development, along with Bown Crossing and of course the original Hyde Park. The Garden Center is a quality hub and includes live/work residential. These are the types of developments the areas outside of downtown need more of and could be future hubs when a rail system is in play.

the Bistro. I've eaten here a few times, the food is good and is a scenic place to drink a glass of wine.

The Dog bone roundabout is under construction.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e55039380.html

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 8:53 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e77885027.html

From Sven... City Council will review the Syringa Valley development proposal (> 2000 homes total, schools, fire, retail) starting tomorrow. The article says that it is anticipated that several working sessions' worth of work will be required to conduct a thorough review of the proposal. Traffic and groundwater are among the concerns residents have raised with the proposal.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:54 PM

Thank you Sawtooth for the photos and for taking the time to share them with us. It's nice seeing various areas of the city posted.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/two...nt?oid=3792690

Two Boise Companies Express Interest in Affordable Housing Project on City-Owned Land

http://media1.fdncms.com/boiseweekly...ty_ofboise.jpg

Quote:
In an effort to tackle Boise's ever-expanding need for affordable housing, city officials are poised to move forward with a new affordable housing project, to be developed on city-owned land on the 2400 block of Fairview Avenue.

Quote:
Two entities have surfaced, each indicating they'll be submitting proposals for the affordable housing project: Boise-based Thomas Development Co., which already operates a number of multifamily facilities in Nampa, Twin Falls, Lewiston, Chubbuck, Gooding and Idaho Falls; and Northwest Integrity Housing Co, also from Boise, which operates facilities in Gooding, Lewiston and Idaho Falls. According to Journee, if the plan goes through, Thomas Development Co. would be the project's builder and Northwest Integrity would operate the facility.

Last edited by Cottonwood; May 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:13 PM

Updated renders as of 5/12 of the Grove Plaza. Not sure I'm a fan of the square umbrellas

Site Plan

Perspectives

Source: thegroveplaza.com

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:25 AM
Closed account

Construction progress May 17, 2016
Boise Hyatt Place going up fast:

City Center outer skin almost done on Clearwater Analytic building:

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:43 PM

The Grove is going to be an entirely new experience when the renovation and convention center construction are completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Updated renders as of 5/12 of the Grove Plaza. Not sure I'm a fan of the square umbrellas

Site Plan

Perspectives

Source: thegroveplaza.com

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:56 PM

Looks like Meridian is officially Idaho's 2nd largest city usurping Nampa as of last year. Crazy to think how fast Meridian has grown considering where it was 20 years ago.

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/t...xhtml?src=bkmk

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 2:46 PM

Grove plaza construction is about to start:

http://www.kivitv.com/news/grove-pla...n-now-underway

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West