HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 8:51 PM

Hotty toddy, gosh almighty, who the hell are we? Hey! Flim flam, bim bam, Ole Miss, By Damn!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 2:19 PM

Overall, UA's Return-on-investment ranks high, according to Best Value and Payscale. RTR

https://www.bestvalueschools.com/ran...rn-u-s-region/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
I am disheartened by the amount of violent crime happening in parts of Tuscaloosa these days. Seems like every time I look at AL.com or other local news sites, there's another shooting. This could certainly have an impact on attracting Alabama high school students if parents don't consider Tuscaloosa safe.

Also, as far as Tuscaloosa's growth long term, I realize it is definitely more "city" than "community" compared to many college towns, but I would think that increased crime, along with pretty sub-par K-12 public schools, are deterrents for many graduates deciding to stick around after graduating from UA.

I live part time in Auburn, and I can attest that its incredible growth over the last few years has a LOT to do with its stellar K-12 public school system and very nice, safe neighborhoods. There really is no bad side of town. I actually look for it to be a bigger place than Tuscaloosa in coming years. I understand that it has a lot to do with Auburn being a relatively very "young" city and mainly growing with Auburn graduates, but I think Maddox really needs to focus on these areas to make Tuscaloosa a more inviting place for UA graduates and their families post graduation.
OOS students come here to cosplay college on daddy's dime, not establish a new life. The thought of staying does not enter their minds.

And UA cannot afford not to admit anyone who can write a check. It's simply a function of being in a bottom-tier state.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
OOS students come here to cosplay college on daddy's dime, not establish a new life. The thought of staying does not enter their minds.

And UA cannot afford not to admit anyone who can write a check. It's simply a function of being in a bottom-tier state.
That's interesting. I thought Auburn was located in a bottom tier state too! Yet somehow, it has higher admission standards than UA. People deny it, but unfortunately, there are many Alabamians who know someone who was denied admission to Auburn, but admitted to UA. UA CAN raise standards, and STILL thrive long term. UA would be able to recruit even more top students and far more of the upper mid range students, both in and out of state, if only its academic rep improved. I believe in UA and know that with all of its positives, it CAN afford to raise standards. Auburn will never be as pretty as UA, nor will it ever have as rich of a football tradition, and as much state pride behind it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:32 PM

The University of Alabama Endowment continues to grow. This is one of the "Funds". It does not include the "Land Management" and a couple of other funds. Happy to report that this fund has increased more than $500 million in the last 6 months and now stands at over $5.7 billion. RTR

https://www.swfinstitute.org/profile...24e9fd2d05c0f0

Last edited by Packer16; Jun 17, 2024 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
The University of Alabama Endowment continues to grow. This is one of the "Funds". It does not include the "Land Management" and a couple of othere funds. Happy to report that this fund has increased more than $500 million in the last 6 months and now stands at over $5.7 billion. RTR

https://www.swfinstitute.org/profile...24e9fd2d05c0f0
That is incredible! Seems like a couple years ago it was sitting just north of $1B. Do we know how much of that $5.7B is for UA in Tuscaloosa?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 1:37 PM

Chad,
The fund, here, is only part of the entire endowment. Also, it doesn't include the 48,000 acres of property in Alabama and Mississippi that the Federal Government gave to the University as raparations for burning the campus during the Civil War. Those properties can never be sold. The University manages the land and collects dollars from mining rights leases, timber leases, hunting leases, etc. The University got to choose the land the Government would give them. There is a great story of how the University sent a geologist out to scout the prospective properties and chose some of the most valuable mineral rich properties in the world. A genius move.
As for UA's share, land endowment is all UA. The other endowment funds are pooled for performance. The University System is divided into four entities (UA, UAB, UAH, Medical Center). I don't know the exact percentage, but, most (~65+?) is UA, and most of the rest is the Medical Center. UAB did a good job increasing their endowment in their last capital campaign and UAH has a small percentage, but, is protected by the strength of the System.
That said, the University of Alabama is, and always has been, on sound financial footing. So, if you hear someone claim UA is desperate for dollars, they have no clue what they are talking about. RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Jun 19, 2024 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Chad,
The fund, here, is only part of the entire endowment. Also, it doesn't include the 48,000 acres of property in Alabama and Mississippi that the Federal Government gave to the University as raparations for burning the campus during the Civil War. Those properties can never be sold. The University manages the land and collects dollars from mining rights leases, timber leases, hunting leases, etc. The University got to choose the land the Government would give them. There is a great story of how the University sent a geologist out to scout the prospective properties and chose some of the most valuable mineral rich properties in the world. A genius move.
As for UA's share, land endowment is all UA. The other endowment funds are pooled for performance. The University System is divided into four entities (UA, UAB, UAH, Medical Center). I don't know the exact percentage, but, most (~65+?) is UA, and most of the rest is the Medical Center. UAB did a good job increasing their endowment in their last capital campaign and UAH has a small percentage, but, is protected by the strength of the System.
That said, the University of Alabama is, and always has been, on sound financial footing. So, if you hear someone claim UA is desperate for dollars, they have no clue what they are talking about. RTR

I would not say real estate people are desperate for money, but some of them sure are greedy, and UA should not set admissions policy to increase development to feed their greed.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:33 PM

UA Astrobotics Team Earns 9th Win

https://news.ua.edu/2024/06/astrobot...TQ1NC41OC4wLjA.

UA Engineering is leading the way to improve UA's academic rep.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
That's interesting. I thought Auburn was located in a bottom tier state too! Yet somehow, it has higher admission standards than UA. People deny it, but unfortunately, there are many Alabamians who know someone who was denied admission to Auburn, but admitted to UA. UA CAN raise standards, and STILL thrive long term. UA would be able to recruit even more top students and far more of the upper mid range students, both in and out of state, if only its academic rep improved. I believe in UA and know that with all of its positives, it CAN afford to raise standards. Auburn will never be as pretty as UA, nor will it ever have as rich of a football tradition, and as much state pride behind it.
You do make a good point. I don't know what they do differently. Do they offer not large scholarships to attract out of state students? Do they not need to bankroll a rich football tradition? What's their financial state compared to UAs? Do we have empirical data on this?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 11:19 PM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 11:50 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Even more evidence that UA is doing a bad job recruiting good in state students. Even with a declining fan base, AU still admits more in state students. Till UA improves its academic reputation in state, this phenomenon will persist. For most of Auburn's history, at least since the 50s, it has enrolled more in state students. UA started enrolling more in the mid 2000s, but over the last 8 or so years, Auburn returned to enrolling more in state students. What happened in those 8 years? UA's academic reputation plummeted, as evidenced by the dramatically declining US News ranking.

If anyone can think of another major factor explaining Auburn's superior ability to enroll in state students, please share that here. I am open to being wrong. Hope I am.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast