HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 11:23 PM
recession proof

All of Vancouver between Fraser and Boundary, the Fraser River and 49th should be turned into Montreal-style three storey flats, with pockets of ground floor commercial strips every 6 blocks or so. Vancouver could house an additional 3 million people in this scenario.

As of right zoning would require 25% of units be available to first time homeowners making under $75k, available with low down payments so long as these people cannot rent out or resell their discounted flats for a number of years, I'd suggest 15-25 is fair. These folks would get discounts in the form of low or no income tax for 10 years, thus ensuring working adults inhabit these units.

Possibly the affordable homes would be built above the CRU "villages" both on high streets and corner lots.

I'd suggest a strict high quality, localized architectural aesthetic be maintained throughout the area. Eg. similar to this excellent TH/flats development in Esquimalt
https://imgur.com/a/R1PrdFK

Last edited by urbandreamer; Mar 10, 2024 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
All of Vancouver between Fraser and Boundary, the Fraser River and 49th should be turned into Montreal-style three storey flats, with pockets of ground floor commercial strips every 6 blocks or so. Vancouver could house an additional 3 million people in this scenario.

As of right zoning would require 25% of units be available to first time homeowners making under $75k, available with low down payments so long as these people cannot rent out or resell their discounted flats for a number of years, I'd suggest 15-25 is fair. These folks would get discounts in the form of low or no income tax for 10 years, thus ensuring working adults inhabit these units.

Possibly the affordable homes would be built above the CRU "villages" both on high streets and corner lots.

I'd suggest a strict high quality, localized architectural aesthetic be maintained throughout the area. Eg. similar to this excellent TH/flats development in Esquimalt
Why would we want 3 million more people in Vancouver? Just because the Liberals think it’s a great idea? No thanks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 12:55 AM
recession proof

This reminds me of talking to my aunt in Nanaimo. She was saying how much she wants Nanaimo to densify and turn into another Victoria. The look on her face when I said na, it's going to look more like Richmond with towers all along the waterfront and filled with new (non-white) Canadians and thousands of SA TFW renting basement apartments! (She's indigenous.)

It's why I've come to realize that Alberta and BC are actually very similar, from roughly between Alberta Highways 21/36 and West.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 1:02 AM

Quote:

It is happening but in slow motion. Rupert, Kingsway, Broadway are all densifying. Same thing around the skytrain station and the Fraser river.

While 3 Million sounds like a reasonable long-term aspiration. We are probably talking 100 years out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why would we want 3 million more people in Vancouver? Just because the Liberals think it’s a great idea? No thanks.
Not today. But 50-100 years out, 3 million more in Vancouver proper sounds doable. But we need to preserve that farm land so those people have a local source of food.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 1:04 AM

I especially like that building in green. It should be copied and pasted everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 1:07 AM
recession proof

^Exactly. Boundary and Nanaimo should turn into ultra dense West Georgia/Robson alternatives and 49th/54th/57th/Marine Drive also solid 8-15 storeys.

You've got a solid grid street network here, now it's time to turn it from suburb into city.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 2:20 AM

Quote:
^Exactly. Boundary and Nanaimo should turn into ultra dense West Georgia/Robson alternatives and 49th/54th/57th/Marine Drive also solid 8-15 storeys.

You've got a solid grid street network here, now it's time to turn it from suburb into city.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
I especially like that building in green. It should be copied and pasted everywhere.
Well it is much more in keeping with a west coast vibe. The middle brick like one just looks like it belong in Ontario or Quebec. It almost fits in given the old-world look of parts of Victoria. Not certain that translates as well to Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
....As far as most of the ALR being on floodplains, that is not an excuse. All of Richmond is on a floodplain but didn't stop the city from just building some flood protection ditches in order to house it's 220,000 in habitants. It's not called "Ditchmond" for nothing.
Yes, and Richmond's not looking at a billion-plus in upgrades to its dikes for nothing either.

Quote:
....There is NO reason why there should be any greenbelts within one km of a transit station or freeway.
So I guess you're not fond of Stanley Park, Hastings Park, Central Park, Deer Lake Park, Burnaby Lake Park, and the other large parks within that distance from highways and transit stations?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Yes, and Richmond's not looking at a billion-plus in upgrades to its dikes for nothing either.

So I guess you're not fond of Stanley Park, Hastings Park, Central Park, Deer Lake Park, Burnaby Lake Park, and the other large parks within that distance from highways and transit stations?
Parks are obviously not "belts".

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post

I’m always amazed when I talk to people who work for the City of Richmond how much in denial they are that rising sea levels are going to make the place uninhabitable. Anyone with property there should get out now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:11 PM

The CMM will adopt a new urban plan shortly. What emerges from the new plan is the increase in the density threshold around TOD's. 3x more density

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:49 PM

Quote:

The problem with that is that it will create zero affordable housing. The land alone will mean every apt will still start at $700k which is more than twice what your average Vancouverite can afford and they will be bought by speculators, money launders, and foreign buyers.

In order to get REALLY affordable housing the gov'ts must be their hands on cheap land like from the ALR or gov't owned and be built as modular housing which is much faster, much cheaper, and always of superior quality. This is what PP are proposing and he is absolutely right.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:37 AM
recession proof

In order to get affordable housing, we've got to make Vancouver as undesirable as North Battleford SK. Importing 3 million third worlders yearly could accomplish this goal by 2044. I imagine PP is already working with the WB/CI people to help make Canada Cheap Again. A big earthquake would help too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:53 PM

Dude, just wanted to say your posts are gold

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
. This is what PP are proposing and he is absolutely right.
This is absolutely not what PP is proposing. He is proposing to apply pressure on municipalities. He is not proposing to have government seize land or build modular housing.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
This is absolutely not what PP is proposing. He is proposing to apply pressure on municipalities. He is not proposing to have government seize land or build modular housing.
Poilievre's housing talk is all hot air. Who's really applying pressure to municipalities? Who's blowing up restrictive zoning? The BC NDP and the federal Liberals.

Who's talking big and doing nothing? PP. He hasn't even addressed this flagrant anti-housing gatekeeping in his own backyard--probably because it's led by conservatives.

PP's talk on housing is very big, but equally opportunistic. I wouldn't expect a Poilievre government to achieve nearly as much as some people think it will.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
The problem with that is that it will create zero affordable housing. The land alone will mean every apt will still start at $700k which is more than twice what your average Vancouverite can afford and they will be bought by speculators, money launders, and foreign buyers.

In order to get REALLY affordable housing the gov'ts must be their hands on cheap land like from the ALR or gov't owned and be built as modular housing which is much faster, much cheaper, and always of superior quality. This is what PP are proposing and he is absolutely right.
Is that his plan? I don't think so. He is falling back to traditional conservative thinking that if government gets out of the way private industry will compete and drive down prices. Well that is not the case. Private industry will try to max out the profit from a project.

The only way "affordable" housing is built is for government to build it and either operate it or hand it off to an arms-length non-profit. That is what the liberals are doing. If the conservatives get it, watch those programs get shutdown. That is what they are going to do.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Is that his plan? I don't think so. He is falling back to traditional conservative thinking that if government gets out of the way private industry will compete and drive down prices. Well that is not the case. Private industry will try to max out the profit from a project.

The only way "affordable" housing is built is for government to build it and either operate it or hand it off to an arms-length non-profit. That is what the liberals are doing. If the conservatives get it, watch those programs get shutdown. That is what they are going to do.
I don't know why this thinking keeps getting repeated on here. Profit margins are not the major factor in housing costs. It's land costs/construction costs/fees.

"Affordable housing" is alright... but we need scalable mass market housing that's affordable.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I don't know why this thinking keeps getting repeated on here. Profit margins are not the major factor in housing costs. It's land costs/construction costs/fees.

"Affordable housing" is alright... but we need scalable mass market housing that's affordable.
I am not. But lets assume I am builder that owns a lot in Vancouver and I am going to build a tower. If I know I am going to sell out before completion regardless of what I build. Will I build high margin high-end units or lower-end lower margin units?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I am not. But lets assume I am builder that owns a lot in Vancouver and I am going to build a tower. If I know I am going to sell out before completion regardless of what I build. Will I build high margin high-end units or lower-end lower margin units?
The ad-hoc incremental nature of upzoning and development approvals in cities has created these market conditions.

Supply gets drip-fed instead of flooded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada