HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 3:30 PM
randalls

Is there any recent drone footage out there of Winston-Salem’s skyline? Would love to see what it looks like now from a high level view. Havent been there in years.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
Is there any recent drone footage out there of Winston-Salem’s skyline? Would love to see what it looks like now from a high level view. Havent been there in years.
There's a photographer named Dale Briggs who posts a fair amount of drone footage to some of the Facebook groups, etc. You might want to peruse his posts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017...er/1403911260/

https://www.instagram.com/dbfootage/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 8:40 PM
Fourth and Main

It's great to see people visiting and recommending the socials/pages for photographers/videographers with work appearing here.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

$200 million in federal grants for regenerative medicine research in Winston-Salem in the past week! WOW! Regenerative Medicine is the major driver of downtown Winston-Salem construction! This is very exciting!

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Blum Construction

Credit: Haley Smith

Introducing Collider Pilsner from Radar Brewing Company. It's a crisp, light lager you'll be able to find at Kaleideum events leading up to the Grand Opening of their new downtown location on February 17th as well as other events throughout the year!

Credit: radarbrewingcompany

624 North Trade:
ROAR has confirmed their arcade (with 45 games) is happening, but it is moving to the ROAR Building at 633 North Liberty Street. This building, at 622-624 North Trade Street, will become a sports bar called Miller’s on Trade. I think I like the sports bar idea more than the arcade for this location. It is interesting to see the arcades consolidating around the same area.

Eight West Third Apartments: Built!
This adaptive-reuse project (converting outdated office space built in 1911 to new apartments) is officially completed, so it's time for a big photography post! The interior restorations are great, but the other interior common areas are a little disappointing, in my opinion, which likely explains why they tried to avoid showing it during construction? I do love the rooftop party deck! I also like the new windows. Sadly, they removed all plans for retail spaces, so this is a single-use apartment building. For as long as I can remember this building, it always had a retail tenant or two operating there and now it has none. That is not good for street-level activity.

Credit: Patty Hughes Stone

Credit: PreservationForsyth

Ronnie's Downtown Grocery Store: Built!
The hours are extended to 8 p.m., Monday through Saturday and they will have a country-ham biscuit and coffee for $1 on Saturday mornings. From what was said, they will have most of what the old store had and a few new items for residents of the upscale apartments/condominiums. Look for Frank Corriher country hams, bulk bins with items such as dried beans and nuts, Dutch Kettle preserves and jams, fresh produce, milk, bread, Strocchi Italian olive-oil crackers, and Aahana’s instant grain bowls. The new downtown grocery store will also have a deli case with house-made roast beef, Boar’s Heads charcuterie, and chicken and pasta salads, as-well-as take-and-bake items, including Moravian chicken pies.

This is the last of downtown Winston-Salem's original grocery stores, open since 1925 and moving-around to different locations under different owners. It also attracts visitors from a good distance to shop there, since they have some things other grocery stores don't. As you can see, this is actually a small-format grocery store in downtown and not just another convenience store.

And now it's time for the big completion photography post!

Video Link

Credit: WTOB 96.7

Credit: Gabriel Higgins

National Science Foundation’s Regional Innovation Engines:
Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District and its regenerative medicine innovation engine was one of ten regional economic engines selected by the National Science Foundation for a $160 million grant. 180 metro areas applied for the grant and it was very competitive. First Lady Dr. Jill Biden and NSF Director Sethuraman Panchanathan visited Winston-Salem to announce the grant. The NSF Regional Innovation Engines were created to accelerate economic growth, revitalize the workforce and push forward research and development as part of the CHIPS and Science Act and President Joe Biden’s Investing in America agenda. Dr. Anthony Atala said this will create a large number of jobs. Four local colleges will use the grant to advance regenerative medicine technologies to bring companies here and retain them.

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
We have new renderings for the Dutch Light Cocktail Bar! The upfit could start by the end of next month or early-March.

Credit: designwithfriend

Current Conditions:

Tanglewood Championship Course Clubhouse:
SAMET Corp., is constructing a temporary clubhouse and golf cart parking area, allowing work to start on the new clubhouse with golf cart parking in the basement.

Interstate 74:

A January 27, 2024 look at the under construction Interstate 74 interchange with Interstate 40:

Credit: Dale Briggs

New Brunson Downtown Elementary School:
Construction is expected to start on Valentines Day (2-14-2024), with completion scheduled for December 2025.

Credit: WS/FC Schools

Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine:
WFIRM, headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, will lead the Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine Consortium with a $40 million, five year award from the Defense Health Agency, focusing on taking regenerative medicine solutions for battlefield injuries to the next level and the general public. This initiative will renew efforts from previous projects while bringing original ideas and the latest technologies to the research. The goal is to bring measurable acceleration to clinical products through robust partnerships.

They will focus on developing clinical therapies over the next five years in these categories:
Craniofacial regeneration
Extremity regeneration
Genitourinary/lower abdomen
Skin and wound healing
On-demand blood
Cellular therapies for trauma

I know scientists in Winston-Salem are close to bringing and end to the need for organ donation (creating organs in a lab from a patient's own cells) and an end to organ rejection medications, but are they also close to bringing an end to the need for blood donations through creating blood in a lab? As these therapies commercialize, this city could see a massive boom. This city is very over-looked, likely because people aren't aware Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for this research.

Philo-Hill Expansion:

Credit: WSFCS Data

Credit: WSFCS Data

New Tenants/Leases:

Bellissima Bridal Store Construction Update: (Notice Winston-Salem's rough terrain/tall bluffs)

Credit: Brandon Ore

Another view of Bellissima Bridal Store's adaptive-reuse project: (The original building is being renovated beyond recognition)

Credit: The Go-To Winston-Salem

A look at the inside transformation of Bellissima Bridal Store:

Credit: bellissimanc

A look at the inside transformation of Bellissima Bridal Store:

Credit: bellissimanc

Home Care Solutions has signed a lease for 533 North Spring Street. This is currently the home of D. Lux Events & Venues (an event center!). Could this be the first event center to close, due to the flood of new event spaces in this city?

Palm Green Tattoo is the newest tenant in the One West Fifth Condominiums building at 500 North Main Street.

Credit: spclsigns

Event Center of the Week:
The event center of the week is 357 Oak Hollow Road. The building is being considered for a new event center. I see a church that appears to be operating there, but don't know if they are involved or if they are selling the building?

Off-Subject:

Other Cities Visiting Winston-Salem:
Charlotte city leaders are in Winston-Salem for a retreat to discuss issues involving their city.

James Beard Awards:
Bobby Boy Bakeshop is nominated for a James Beard Award in the Outstanding Bakery category. The winners will be announced on June 10, 2024 in Chicago. Bobby Boy Bakeshop is opening a second location in the Salem Bottling Works project we are currently following. Actually, that may become their main location, when construction is completed? We'll see.

Profiles of Black Architects and Builders in North Carolina:
If you're in Winston-Salem, be sure to see "We Built This: Profiles of Black Architects and Builders in North Carolina." "We Built This is part of a multi-faceted educational program about the history and legacy of Black builders and craftspeople in North Carolina. The traveling exhibit highlights the stories of those who constructed and designed many of North Carolina’s most treasured historic sites. Spanning more than three centuries, We Built This provides more than two dozen personal profiles and historic context on key topics including slavery and Reconstruction; founding of HBCUs and Black churches; Jim Crow and segregation; and the rise of Black civic leaders and professionals." It will be inside historic Union Station on February 2, 2024; at the Fairgrounds Farmers' Market on February 10, 17, and 24, 2024; and it will be at the C.G. O’Kelly Library (WSSU) from March 1, 2024 - March 31, 2024.

Random Photographs:

Credit: Pilot Mountain Vineyards & Weddings

Your City

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 8:49 PM

Thanks for the update, Matthew. I was amongst the eager crowd at the opening of the new Ronnie’s Country Store at Roar. A large crowd was waiting for the store to open well before it opened at noon Friday. The store was too small for the crowd, so I had to wait until some people cleared out to go in. That entire section of Liberty Street was abuzz with street activity and parking was a challenge. The store is much more upscale than the original, but the country ham remains a huge draw. It’s a quite nice, albeit small, store. I hope the store continues to prosper.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 11:20 PM

Those of you who pay for Bizjournal need to tell us the rest

Quote:
ROAR will have its second location in Winston-Salem at Robinhood Plaza, a shopping center on Robinhood Road anchored by Ace Hardware. Est! Est!! Est!!!, an Italian restaurant by the same hospitality group, will also move here from ROAR's downtown location…..Looking for a quieter activity, suited for a family of all ages? Simon Burgess, developer and owner of Mayfair Hospitality Group, hopes to target a family demographic with the second Winston-Salem location of his entertainment hall, ROAR. Find out where the new ROAR is going and what else Burgess is bringing next door.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...hood-road.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:00 PM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the photographs and the report on opening day. It's very exciting to have this store back downtown. A lot of people like the later hours, but did comment on how crowded it was. As someone who grew-up in the North Carolina mountains, I noticed people asking for the ingredients of home-made pimento cheese, which Ronnie's said they will carry, soon. Seeing the new owners taking note of what customers want shows they are committed to doing this right. Maybe if the arcade doesn't work well for them, they could convert the entire first floor into Ronnie's (excluding the bank branch space on the corner).

Mayfair sees a growing number of young families at ROAR during the day, so they will reduce that number by constructing another "smaller" competing ROAR in a more family-friendly area. At least that is how I view the second location opening. Mayfair may view it differently. This second location of ROAR is really the only part of their plans I'm not a fan of, since I think it will hurt daytime numbers and the number of families at their existing location. I guess we shall see. Maybe both locations will have strong numbers? I'm just a little concerned about the impact on the original location.

They also noticed the noise of ROAR ruined the experience at Est! Est!! Est!!!, so they correctly moved it to a location that allows customers to have a quiet/relaxing dinner. The new ROAR brings bowling, an arcade, and mini-golf under one roof, which nationally no one else is doing. Instead of spending an hour-and-a-half at the mini-golf course or at a bowling alley, they may spend several hours at ROAR. They are now in Winston-Salem, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill (S.C.), Cleveland, and Dayton (OH).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 9:35 AM

Thanks for the photos. Eight West Third apartments look really nice. I have been wondering how it turned out. Wish it had a retail space. Really coulda hav benefited the daytime workers nearby and residents. There used to be a very busy and popular subway in there and coffee shop.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:14 PM

Hospitality developer Simon Burgess plans new sports bar in downtown Winston-Salem

It’s a busy time for Simon Burgess, who developed the his entertainment hall ROAR in downtown Winston-Salem.

The developer and owner of Mayfair Hospitality Group has been making major updates to ROAR and planning a second ROAR location in Winston-Salem with his Est! Est!! Est!!! Italian restaurant.

Now he’s got another project in the works – a new bar in downtown.

Burgess told TBJ that he plans to open Miller’s On Trade in about three months. Miller’s On Trade will be a sports bar outfitted with pool tables, foosball, shuffleboard and a virtual dart board.

At 622 N. Trade Street, the bar takes its name from a previous tenant – Miller’s Variety Store.

Miller’s Variety Store was a staple of Trade Street for 88 years; it closed at the end of 2016, when owner Nathan Miller retired, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.

Tax records show that the building has a total of 11,480 square feet and was transferred in 2020 to Trade Street Properties LLC, registered to Andrew Sparacia of Cleveland.

In recent months, it was being advertised for rent by Winston-Salem’s Meridian Realty. The property is one block over from ROAR and is next to popular restaurant and pub Finnigan’s Wake.

Burgess told TBJ that the bar received permission from the Miller family to use its name and will honor the family.

“It’ll have a wall inside honoring the memory of the Miller family and what they did in Winston-Salem with the store,” he said.

With ROAR locations now in or coming to South Carolina and Ohio, Burgess said he sees his new projects in Winston-Salem as a “semi-retirement” because it means less travel.

“I live downtown, so I can walk to these every day,” Burgess said. “This is the next step in life. I just want to have some restaurants, hospitality and bars in Winston-Salem and just be local.”

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel View Post
Hospitality developer Simon Burgess plans new sports bar in downtown Winston-Salem

It’s a busy time for Simon Burgess, who developed the his entertainment hall ROAR in downtown Winston-Salem.

The developer and owner of Mayfair Hospitality Group has been making major updates to ROAR and planning a second ROAR location in Winston-Salem with his Est! Est!! Est!!! Italian restaurant.

Now he’s got another project in the works – a new bar in downtown.

Burgess told TBJ that he plans to open Miller’s On Trade in about three months. Miller’s On Trade will be a sports bar outfitted with pool tables, foosball, shuffleboard and a virtual dart board.

At 622 N. Trade Street, the bar takes its name from a previous tenant – Miller’s Variety Store.

Miller’s Variety Store was a staple of Trade Street for 88 years; it closed at the end of 2016, when owner Nathan Miller retired, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.

Tax records show that the building has a total of 11,480 square feet and was transferred in 2020 to Trade Street Properties LLC, registered to Andrew Sparacia of Cleveland.

In recent months, it was being advertised for rent by Winston-Salem’s Meridian Realty. The property is one block over from ROAR and is next to popular restaurant and pub Finnigan’s Wake.

Burgess told TBJ that the bar received permission from the Miller family to use its name and will honor the family.

“It’ll have a wall inside honoring the memory of the Miller family and what they did in Winston-Salem with the store,” he said.

With ROAR locations now in or coming to South Carolina and Ohio, Burgess said he sees his new projects in Winston-Salem as a “semi-retirement” because it means less travel.

“I live downtown, so I can walk to these every day,” Burgess said. “This is the next step in life. I just want to have some restaurants, hospitality and bars in Winston-Salem and just be local.”
The arcade trend is surprising. Now pool halls and darts. Are we going back to the 80s!?!? It's kind of refreshing. Are people tired of sitting around in restaurants and bars to just stare at their phones?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 10:00 AM

With Gen Z drinking less than prior generations, I'm not sure that the continuous focus on alcohol is wise. The most popular place serving drinks downtown on a Saturday afternoon appears to be Chad's Chai.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claralu...h=3ad7f03948d1

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:13 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm a Millennial and I occasionally enjoy a good craft beer, but I'm not that into alcohol. I think I would prefer Chad's Chai as-well.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

I think the biggest hurdle to someone adaptively-reusing 200 West Second Street (former BB&T Financial Center) is now out of the way! This could get exciting!

I forgot to ask my wife Lauren for a song this week, so I'll pick something...
Video Link

The ribbon cutting is scheduled for February 15, 2024 at 11 a.m.,. This will be followed by a members-only opening at noon. Memberships are $125-$500 and if purchased before February 16, they can be used to see the building on opening day. The museum will open to the public on February 17, 2024. If you're visiting just one time, on or after February 17, you can buy a ticket for $12 per child and $15 per adult. I think there are discounts available, if you contact the museum? For kids wanting to try the rooftop adventure, they will have to wait until the summer. No exact date was provided. The museum will host a traveling exhibit on its opening day, called Framed: Step into Art. The exhibit allows you to step inside the art of famous artists. Climb into a tent and explore camping gear in John Singer Sargent’s “Camp at Lake O’Hara,” add corn husks to the flower tower in Diego Rivera’s “Corn Festival” and enter Clementine Hunter’s “Big Chicken” to get behind the reins of a giant rooster.

February 3, 2024 - Soft opening for friends and family:

Credit: Kaleideum

Credit: greaterwinstonsaleminc

Cam's Coffee is the new retail space tenant at Kaleideum:
Video Link

Liberty Park:

200 West Second Hotel & Apartments:
The United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia has "released" the Notice of Lis Pendens filed on the 200 West Second Street office tower. Maybe this will lead to the building being sold and adaptively-reused?

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: bip_development

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Credit: 3ez-NadqxbE

New Tenants/Leases:
A bar is being "considered" for the former "The Clubhouse Salon for Men" space, at 505 North Cherry Street. It's not a done deal, but it's being explored. This is across the street from the convention center. So, if this moves forward, visitors can enjoy a glass of wine or a beer after going to the convention center.

Dive Bar Winston will replace the old Eastern Standard at 1131 Burke Street. This is another barcade, with arcade games, typical bar games, and of course a bar. How many of these are there now? Four or five?

Boutique Wines wine bar will open in the historic Rosenbacher House.

Lasso Gaucho is the newest retail space tenant at the Stuart Municipal Building on Main Street in downtown Winston-Salem. Lasso Gaucho is a South Florida Brazilian steakhouse and Winston-Salem has their only location outside Florida.

Heartland Dental will replace the closed Ace Hardware at Cloverdale Plaza Shopping Center. It will be a $2.5 million upfit.

CJMW Architecture, one of the oldest architecture firms in the Carolinas, has moved its headquarters to 525@Vine in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. It will allow for more open and collaborative space and will also make it easier to recruit talent, with downtown's many restaurants, parks, and activities.

Woolworth Museum & Event Center:
You already knew about this project, since you follow these updates! This event space will be restored to its 1960 appearance, with a preservation easement. Though construction has progressed at an impressive speed, the developer won't give a completion date. I'm guessing the entrance and facade won't be restored. Mayfair isn't known for great exterior restorations, but their interiors are usually nice. This will become the event space for Hotel Indigo, across the street. The lunch counter will also be restored and will serve food again.

Credit: Fox 8 WGHP

Stevens Center Renovation:

Work on the facade has started:

Credit: paulhigginsphotography

Salem Bottling Works:

Credit: salembottleworks

Credit: salembottleworks

STITCH Design Shop Headquarters:
STITCH Design Shop has confirmed what I posted. They are moving their headquarters into the former 1949 Studebaker Car Dealership Building on Burke Street. And we have renderings! The new space will have a dedicated materials lab, specialized Virtual Reality room, and collaboration spaces for client meetings and internal design charrettes. I really wish they could've renovated a space downtown, instead of moving to West End and taking-away one of their most interesting storefront spaces. Downtown could use more office workers and storefront spaces shouldn't become office spaces.

The Exterior:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

The Interior:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Celebrity Sighting: Brooke Shields https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000222/

Credit: Best of Winston

Winston-Salem's Historic 3-Storey Union Station (train station):

Credit: Bill Mixon

Your City

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:14 PM

Let’s see if the Woolworths project actually comes to be. Mayfair can be all bet the place sometimes. Wonder well they expect to park guests for the venue and the Indigo Hotel.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSBornNBred View Post
With Gen Z drinking less than prior generations, I'm not sure that the continuous focus on alcohol is wise. The most popular place serving drinks downtown on a Saturday afternoon appears to be Chad's Chai.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claralu...h=3ad7f03948d1
I think it all depends on what we mean by "drinking less" and what kinds of establishments we're talking about. The breweries, for example, do robust business and typically cater to people who are looking to have a couple of good, well-made, interesting beers. Many close at 9 or 10 on most nights and are fairly family-friendly, community-oriented places.

I really enjoy our brewery scene. I also love Chad's and the various coffee shops, and frequent those too.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
One of the Triad's largest banks recently signed a lease for more than 8,000 square feet in downtown Winston-Salem as the city focuses on how to best utilize office space in the city's center amid lessening demand for office space.

Pinnacle Financial Partners recently leased around 8,800 square feet at Century Plaza, a Class A, 80,000-square-foot building located at 100 N. Cherry St., according to David Allen, Pinnacle's regional chairman for the western Virginia and central North Carolina regions, and Cindy Christopher, principal and broker of Christopher Commercial.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ton-salem.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 2:27 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

It's time for the big event all of Winston-Salem has waited for! The weekly SSP Update! In this update, a major site in downtown is finally for sale and it could be transformational, with the right developer and project! Stay dry out there and enjoy this exciting update... and maybe a football game later today!

Video Link

This museum of art, science, and literacy will open this week! Ideas for exhibits were taken from museums across the nation and around the world, including the U.K.,. They will install outdoor musical instruments in Liberty Park, later this summer, which should be fun! The museum is designed for all ages and will have events for those 21-and-up after 5 p.m.,. It even has a corporate meeting room businesses can rent and take advantage of the fun activities. The space can also be rented for weddings. Yes, it's another event space/event center opening! They are hiring and expect to have 65 employees by the summer. School field trips are already being scheduled.

Our first look at the signage with the lights on:

Credit: Christy Tally

Credit: Shari Brady

Video Link

Video Link

Morris Building:
Front Street Capital has extended the date to close on the Morris Building (option to purchase) to January 31, 2025.

Fifth & Main Site Finally on the Market:
After years of waiting and even pitching ideas for this site... only to hear it's not for sale, it's finally for sale. Below is the marketing image for the site. I would like to see a large amphitheatre on this site. DWSP's Downtown Plan has an amphitheatre and this is likely the best location for it. I would recommend buying it before it's purchased and land-banked for biotech developments, which is obviously who they are marketing it to.

Credit: Cushman & Wakefield

The Flats at Peters Creek:
The Flats at Peters Creek received affordable housing tax credits for the project. Forsyth County is a high-income county, which allows the developer to seek these tax credits. As a requirement, at least 25% of the units must be affordable. The tax credits are good for 15 years from completion.

The Crest Event Center:

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
Results Marketing is the tenant at the 82,250-square-foot building, at 4035 Reynolds Court, in Whitaker Park. Bobbitt Construction is the general contractor for the upfit.

New Tenants/Leases:

Lasso Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse:

Credit: bestofwinston

Bellissima Bridal Store at the Bluffs:

Credit: Overstock Discount Flooring

Going with this company was a smart way for Bellissima to save money on the upfit and the floors look great:

Winston Steam Laundry Building:
The Winston Steam Laundry project has acquired a .09 acre property to the south of their building. No word on what their plans are for the property

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
They couldn't save the siding on the back side of the house, so they have to replace it. While replacing it, they temporarily uncovered the original 1782 logs used in the construction. They are taking advantage of this opportunity to add insulation and wrap it. "Jillian primed some windows, too, and Jason has started work on restoring the front door. Paint stripping continues to happen inside. Rough-in plumbing and HVAC is almost complete!"

Those logs are 242 years old:

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

Innkeeper Residential Adaptive-reuse: Cancelled
The California-based developer involved in this adaptive-reuse project is currently being sued by California's Attorney General and their project in Asheville is being foreclosed on. With these issues, their Winston-Salem project is now cancelled.

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:

Installing over 30 air handler units on the roof with a helicopter:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Brown School Lofts at Legacy Heights:

Off-Subject:

USA Today Ten Best New Breweries for 2024:
Lesser Known Beer Company in Winston-Salem is nominated for USA Today's Ten Best New Breweries in 2024. Their construction was a project we followed on this thread. Be sure to vote for them.

Video Link

2024 Best-Performing Cities:
Winston-Salem ranked 86th on Milken’s 2024 Best-Performing Cities Index. The ranking doesn't include the numbers from Nucor Steel Mill, Siemens Mobility Passenger Rail Facility, Tex-Tech composite heat shields and nose cones for space vehicles and rockets, and ProKidney's Headquarters. Winston-Salem's numbers rose in five-year wage growth, short-term job growth, and high-tech GDP growth and concentration. The ranking is designed to provide an objective framework to evaluate the performance of cities and is focused on 13 indicators of economic growth and access to opportunities. These including jobs, wages, high-tech growth, housing affordability, and household broadband access in the 403 largest U.S., metro areas.

For those who want to know: Neighboring Greensboro-High Point ranked 164th.

Video Link

Video Link

Random Photograph:

Credit: Waylon Y. Cox

Your City

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
A major housing development is coming to Kernersville after gaining approval from the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County's Planning Board.

The board approved plans for Glen Abbey West, a 64-lot residential subdivision in Kernersville, at its monthly meeting on Feb. 8. Plans call for a 63-lot planned residential development on 23.88 acres at 2405 Pisgah Church Rd., 2431 Pisgah Church Rd. and 2441 Pisgah Church Rd., with a density of 2.68 units per acre.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...Pos=3#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
The City-County Planning Board of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County has endorsed rezoning proposals that would allow a 126-acre industrial park to go forward on Shore Road over the objection of people who live near the site.

The property is along Shore Road to the south of U.S. 52. It is near a Love’s Travel Stop that is under construction. The site is also near the intersection, also under construction, of U.S. 52 and the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/go...home-top-story

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 6:08 PM

I apologize for the late postings but was out of the country for 5 weeks with little or no internet service. After reading through the material (thanks again Matthew) just 3 comments/suggestions.

1. I must agree with the contributor, Matthew, that W-S should not join the Charlotte CSA, which in my opinion would (as pointed out) sink W-S further into obscurity since Charlotte eclipses everything in the State.

2. Regarding the John Deere land purchase in Kernersville - is that Forsyth Kernersville or Guilford Kernersville?

3. Matthew, I know that downtown while defined differently depending upon application (how areas are delimited) and also based upon one's perception, but I consider the non-residential eastern part of West End as being downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 9:54 AM

The Baptist tower really has some height. It looks like it will be 9 stories+ at the tallest point.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSBornNBred View Post
The Baptist tower really has some height. It looks like it will be 9 stories+ at the tallest point.
Any pics?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations