HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 4:15 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I have been to a Hooters exactly once, the food was unedible - and the women were not exactly of the sort I would go out of my way to see.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 5:09 AM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
They're building a Hooters restaurant near Montreal in Greenfield Park on Taschereau Blvd.

Is this the first Hooters location in Quebec? I heard that there was one in Ormstown, but I don't think that was an actual Hooters.
it's indeed the first hooters in Quebec and a welcome addition

That and the Taco Bell they are opening nearby on Taschereau Boulevard are the missing pieces to make sure it looks like the typical american boulevard (not that i mind )

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 5:32 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
all the hooters here in BC closed a couple years ago

some reason sexist chains don't go down well out here
mmmm hmmm. That's why these are figments of somebody's imagination:

http://www.downtownvancouver.com/dir...er_strip_club/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 6:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
They're building a Hooters restaurant near Montreal in Greenfield Park on Taschereau Blvd.

Is this the first Hooters location in Quebec? I heard that there was one in Ormstown, but I don't think that was an actual Hooters.
a visit to Buonanotte or Globe is enough to check out some awesome looking female staff... no need for a hooters.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind checking it out anyways :p

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
mmmm hmmm. That's why these are figments of somebody's imagination:

http://www.downtownvancouver.com/dir...er_strip_club/
I was being sarcastic - vancouver is famous for its strip clubs

the franchise owner shut them down i think

i remember on the news when the hooters was opening on robson street they did a fluffy news piece on it and they went to some of the robson street stores like gap etc and asked the girls working in the stores what they thought of hooters opening and the girls were like i think its gross and blah blabh blah and sexist and women should not be ogled etc

and the news reporter finished it by basically saying well i haven't seen any grey haired or over weight women or really any women over 30 working in the stores along robson so hooters fits right in

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 9:09 PM

Quote:
the MEC in vancouver is not downtown
It's less than 2km from downtown, Broadway and Cambie isn't exactly suburbia...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
It's less than 2km from downtown, Broadway and Cambie isn't exactly suburbia...
Exactly- it's in a very cool area of the inner city.

Calgary's MEC isn't "downtown" either; it's a block south of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 10:59 PM
Inflatable Hippo

and where exactly are you drawing the boundary? the CPR?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 1:29 AM

well some would consider it uptown as oppossed to downtown

i know its extremely close but if we wanna be sticklers in here...

its in the outdoor gear area anyway - there must be at least a dozen shops like MEC in that area

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 4:14 AM
samsonyuen

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rce_login=true
_________
Quote:
Bed Bath & Beyond to open Canadian store

MARINA STRAUSS
Bed Bath & Beyond Inc., the largest U.S. home fashions chain, will open its first store in Canada in Richmond Hill, north of Toronto. Tom Balkos, vice-president of retail services at CB Richard Ellis, confirmed yesterday that the retailer has finalized plans for the outlet and is "actively pursuing opportunities in the Greater Toronto Area and across the country." The firm brokered the deal along with Metrus Properties. The store is expected to open early next year. The retailer, known for its wide selection of merchandise, stylish offerings and chic store layouts, has had a strong track record and will provide stiff competition for existing home furnishing retailers, industry observers have said. It's the chain's first foray outside of the United States, where it has more than 800 stores.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 9:43 PM

interesting - BBB is exactly the same as Linen's N Things - i wonder if they can do as well - linens n things has established itself well

i actually prefer LNT over BBB - but BBB has nicer looking bags

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 1:06 AM
Nashwaaksissy

Sobeys is finally about to hit the west coast...

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/0...ysthrifty.html

Grocery giant Sobeys Inc. is buying the British Columbia-based Thrifty Foods chain, the companies said Monday.

The deal puts a value of $260 million on Thrifty Foods, which has 20 stores on Vancouver Island and B.C.'s Lower Mainland. Thrifty also had a distribution centre and a wholesale division.

Alex Campbell, chair of Thrifty Foods, said his company has built itself into a market leader in the business over the 30 years since its inception.

"More recently, we have come to the realization that if we want to continue as the market leader, then we must commit to a new era of growth," he said. "I am very pleased to find, in Sobeys, a company that is committed to the long-term growth and success of Thrifty Foods."

Sobeys, which has over 1,300 company-owned and franchised stores, said the acquisition of the B.C. company is expected to give a boost to its bottom line.

Sobeys was recently privatized by its parent company, Stellarton, N.S.-based Empire Company Ltd. Shares of Empire finished Monday on the TSX at $50.64, up 87 cents from Friday.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 1:57 AM

oh that sux - thriftys was good

there is a sobeys in northern bc

isn't sobeys and IGA the same though?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 7:57 PM

Nothing special to most but it's all we got...

Winnipeg gets a American Apparel store.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 8:06 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_aust View Post
it's indeed the first hooters in Quebec and a welcome addition

That and the Taco Bell they are opening nearby on Taschereau Boulevard are the missing pieces to make sure it looks like the typical american boulevard (not that i mind )
Isn't there some place on the metropolitain near Lacordaire that's called "Honkers" or something similar that eludes to a Hooters-type establishment? the name escapes me at the moment, but they clearly rip off the Hooters logo.

Ottawa's Hooters in the market became TJ Pagodas not too long ago. Didn't miss it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 9:12 PM
BANNED

12 billions in revenues!!! wow

Associated Press
Couche-Tard 4Q Profit Up 4.1 Percent
Associated Press 07.17.07, 2:32 PM ET

LAVAL, Quebec -
Convenience store chain Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. said its fourth-quarter profit rose to $33.4 million as revenue increased by double digits over the same period last year.

The Montreal-based company, which operates stores in Canada and the United States, said its revenues for the 12-week-long fourth quarter ended April 29, 2007 were $3 billion.

That was an increase of $333.7 million or 12.6 percent over the 13-week period of fiscal 2006. In a direct comparison with a 12-week period last year, the revenues were up 22.9 percent and net earnings rose 13.6 percent.

The company ended the fiscal year on April 29, 2007, with total revenues of $12.1 billion, an increase of $1.9 billion or 19.0 percent over 2006.

Net income for the year totaled $196.4 million, compared with $196.2 million in 2006.

Comparing standardized periods of 52 weeks in each fiscal year, revenues increased 21.6 percent and net income rose 1.5 percent.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 11:40 PM
samsonyuen

From: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...1-0b5192d8be40
_______
Quote:
Lowe's has eye on Rona: analyst
Robert Gibbens, The Montreal Gazette
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2007
MONTREAL - Canadian hardware retailer Rona Inc. could face a takeover bid from Lowe's Cos., the second biggest U.S. home-improvement store operator, in the next six months, says an industry watcher.
Hardware and home-renovation retail growth is slowing because of maturing markets in many areas, and Desjardins Securities Inc. analyst Keith Howlett said there is a 40-per-cent chance of Lowe's bidding for Rona at up to $33 per share, a 27-per-cent premium on its closing price yesterday.
A Lowe's takeover of Boucherville, Que.-based Rona has been widely debated since the giant U.S. retailer entered Canada in 2005, saying it would build big-box stores from the ground up to compete with the dominant Home Depot. Other analysts have speculated a large buyout group might try to acquire widely held Rona, planning to sell it later to a strategic buyer.
Email to a friendPrinter friendly
Font:
Mr. Howlett says Lowe's must decide whether to "build or buy" to establish its presence in Canada. A deal would make it the second biggest player in Canada overnight.
Rona shares lost some shine in May after CEO Robert Dutton reported a sharp decline in first-quarter profit, and warned this year's sales would be weaker than expected. Yesterday, Rona shares gained almost three per cent.
"We can't comment on market speculation," said Lowe's spokesman Chris Ahearn. "We've said we plan to build our stores in Canada from the ground up rather than go the acquisition route."
Claude Guevin, Rona's senior vice-president, said the company is not discussing a sale.
"Other analysts don't share Howlett's view," Mr. Guevin said.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 12:59 AM

rona has a lot of smaller stores though - i wonder what would happen to those - at least here in BC there are a number of smaller ones - they don't make for the big box format

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 1:11 AM

Quote:
rona has a lot of smaller stores though - i wonder what would happen to those - at least here in BC there are a number of smaller ones - they don't make for the big box format
Home Hardware will buy them. That or Ace Hardware will finally cross the border north(them or TrueValue).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 1:38 AM

yeah thats possible

we already had an ACE hardware here - but it changed to home hardware a while back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada