HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 9:45 PM

Huh, I guess it might just be a website navigation change because I can access it via this link but can't navigate to it from the home page without the link, nvm.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 10:36 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester1998 View Post
Looks like residents have started moving in at Vero Tempe, though I detest a 7 story midrise being referred to as a "tower."
It's an Arizona thing

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
It's an Arizona thing
So true any building over 5 stories is a tower in this state

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:40 PM

I see them holding out on the hardcorner as office. ASU may continue to lease and/or consolidate offices to make sure it's built and then backfill the space with traditional tenants in the future. That was kind of how they got Skysong up and going back in the day.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:55 PM

Can anyone explain what the HELL tempe is doing to mill ave? I haven’t been down to kill ave in about a year or two but it seems like 30-40% of the old
Shade trees have been removed and replaced with either flowers or nothing at all.

Why is ASU and Tempe so bad with shade and shade trees? Shade>>> the small about of water you think you are preserving.

They are ruining what makes Tempe nice and attractive in the first place

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:02 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Can anyone explain what the HELL tempe is doing to mill ave? I haven’t been down to kill ave in about a year or two but it seems like 30-40% of the old
Shade trees have been removed and replaced with either flowers or nothing at all.

Why is ASU and Tempe so bad with shade and shade trees? Shade>>> the small about of water you think you are preserving.

They are ruining what makes Tempe nice and attractive in the first place
I think the Ficus trees were pretty much deemed a hazard due to their age and are being targeted for removal due to that reason and not necessarily for water conservation. However, I'm not sure why they aren't being replaced with similar shade trees or young Ficus.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I think the Ficus trees were pretty much deemed a hazard due to their age and are being targeted for removal due to that reason and not necessarily for water conservation. However, I'm not sure why they aren't being replaced with similar shade trees or young Ficus.
I saw one young ficus replacement but the north end of Mill is particularly bleak.

People in tempe need to start agitating to get this fixed

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:01 PM

I am assuming the trees being removed has to do with the project that started recently to revamp the pedestrian experience along Mill Avenue. There are plans to install shade structures and incorporate a new planting scheme. By the project's conclusion in August, 124 new trees and 12 previously existing trees will line Mill Avenue from Rio Salado to University. It includes infrastructure upgrades like irrigation/electrical, making corrections for ADA compliance, and installing root barriers to protect the walkways and building foundations.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpubli...15252633800000

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/04/09/...gin-next-week/

Last edited by cdfif030; May 30, 2024 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:01 PM

Trees and shade in general are something the entire Valley could do a better job at.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
South Pier up to floor 8 and a lot more active work than The Pier...at what point does South Pier finishing first stop being a joke?
South Pier is now working on Floor 13, which puts them at about one floor per week. The Pier just started putting glass on the second tower. The race intensifies...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
South Pier is now working on Floor 13, which puts them at about one floor per week. The Pier just started putting glass on the second tower. The race intensifies...

Lol Im already imagining the delivery and ride share nightmare that will be this area with everything being call "pier" something and all looking the same

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:07 PM

A few pictures from the bike on the ride in this morning:

La Victoria (101/Apache) - no dirt moving yet but some materials on site if you can see them in the background. This one was reported to be starting construction any day:

Milhaus (River/Apache) - this, along with a lot of the other low-rise Apache projects are nearing completion:

Culdesac continuing to build:

Blue at Eastline Village (across Apache from Culdesac):

Aura Apache (Apache/McClintock):

Didn't capture it very well, but a lot of activity on 1020 Apache and The Marshall - the two projects on either side of Apache between Terrace and Rural. No vertical construction, but seems like it could be any day:

The ASU student housing and parking garage buildings are nearing completion as well:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:04 PM

Also didn't know if y'all noticed but the old Salvation Army building is completly fenced off...so does that mean Sky Tempe is about to start construction? Also behind the Marshall that 6 unit 3 story townhouse development is all framed up. Also noticed a construction trailer on site for the next Novus office building.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Also didn't know if y'all noticed but the old Salvation Army building is completly fenced off...so does that mean Sky Tempe is about to start construction? Also behind the Marshall that 6 unit 3 story townhouse development is all framed up. Also noticed a construction trailer on site for the next Novus office building.
Nice on Salvation Army! I didn't notice that. That has been a long time coming. I remember like 6-7ish years ago eavesdropping on a conversation about redeveloping that site while having coffee at the coffee shop that used to be there haha.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:00 PM

I remember that when Skye Tempe was getting reviewed by city council it was emphasized that they would have to do an achaeological inspection of the site before construction since the previous builds on the site never did this, so there may be some time needed after demolition. I think definitely the next tower we see go up downtown will be 211 7th street which has begun filing a lot of the building permits.

For the ASU development next to Omni I know that the building with the parking garage also fronts Mill with an academic/office building that will have first floor retail uses. I don't think any tenants have been identified for the retail portions, it obviously can't include any establishments that sell alcohol which is somewhat limiting, but still cool that we could see the commercial distirct for Mill extend south a little bit.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:49 PM

Does anyone know what's going on with the House of Tricks development?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:36 PM

Also shouldn't the Wells Fargo building development next to Shady Park be moving anytime soon? That block is going to be sooo dense when it's built out. All that will be left will be the Pita Jungle building that is primed for a regeneration scheme.

Has Hilo resubmitted their revised plans yet??

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:14 PM

Agenda is now available for the June 25th DRC meeting, looks like there's one big item on the agenda, and it's the GPA/Rezone/PAD for the student housing development on the current site of the Moxy hotel, SE corner of Apache and Rural. I think this may have been mentioned when this was first proposed, but the acreage listed makes it look like this will include part of the CVS lot (maybe the parking lot is going away?) Project has been given an Apache Blvd address, which makes me think that this is indeed the case. My understanding was that the CVS itself is expected to stay.

I posted the link below, hopefully I copied it over correctly.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/108273

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester1998 View Post
For the ASU development next to Omni ... I don't think any tenants have been identified for the retail portions, it obviously can't include any establishments that sell alcohol which is somewhat limiting, but still cool that we could see the commercial distirct for Mill extend south a little bit.
The 6 story Brickyard building (699 S. Mill Avenue) has an Izakaya and other establishments selling alcohol on the ground floor and its 1st-6th floors are ASU academic units.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBar View Post
The 6 story Brickyard building (699 S. Mill Avenue) has an Izakaya and other establishments selling alcohol on the ground floor and its 1st-6th floors are ASU academic units.
Yes but that's "off-campus" The new building is technically "on-campus" so I don't think they are allowed to have alcohol serving establishments....unless Postino is "on-campus" if that's the case then they might be able to?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest