HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:53 AM
-

Mussafer Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, Louisiana

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:59 AM
-

Lots of activity at 731 St. Charles to prepare for the Rozas Ward Architects designed new luxury condos! This view is from the Carondelet side of the property.

https://vimeo.com/192019016

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:30 PM

I found this very interesting. The MSY nonstop map suddenly shows Freeport (Bahamas) as a seasonal nonstop destination. However, the list does not show it or the airline. This makes me think that the airport is about to announce a seasonal nonstop to the Bahamas and someone dropped the ball by mistake. Thoughts anyone?

http://flymsy.com/Images/Interior/ro...-2017large.png

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
I found this very interesting. The MSY nonstop map suddenly shows Freeport (Bahamas) as a seasonal nonstop destination. However, the list does not show it or the airline. This makes me think that the airport is about to announce a seasonal nonstop to the Bahamas and someone dropped the ball by mistake. Thoughts anyone?

http://flymsy.com/Images/Interior/ro...-2017large.png
It was announced a while back and its one of those Vacation Express destinations. like punta cana, kingston jamaica and cancun
the best site to check for destinations and the airlines that fly there is wikipedia page for an airport... its always remarkably accurate.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:00 PM

Dare I say it, but the trade district proposal might be dead?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
Dare I say it, but the trade district proposal might be dead?
Im not sure why you keep saying that... all parties said repeatedly they plan to have something around the end of the year. When there is something to announce they will... otherwise its just pure conjecture. Thats a very complicated project with many moving parts so just be patient.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Im not sure why you keep saying that... all parties said repeatedly they plan to have something around the end of the year. When there is something to announce they will... otherwise its just pure conjecture. Thats a very complicated project with many moving parts so just be patient.
I know what you mean, but I just find how long this project has continually dragged out and the news that the CC were at the point of considering other developers just says to me a project that is stalling and on the verge of danger.

Hopefully a deal is done soon, one of the developers said he wanted a deal done by the end of 2015....well time is ticking.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
I know what you mean, but I just find how long this project has continually dragged out and the news that the CC were at the point of considering other developers just says to me a project that is stalling and on the verge of danger.

Hopefully a deal is done soon, one of the developers said he wanted a deal done by the end of 2015....well time is ticking.
I have to agree with Tennis here. There are many moving parts to this deal and there isnt any real deadline for action (other than what is said to the reporters to put some kind of pressure on the other side). Whenever there is no real deadline then things always tend to slide, and keep in mind that the convention center is a quasi-governmental organization with decisions having to go before their board at monthly meetings which means an item that should take 1 month to come to terms over now takes 6 or more. There is no tax credit or other sunset of funding to worry about so as soon as both sides have come to an agreement on the overall plan, funding levels (MCC wants convention center to kick in more $ and convention center wants to contribute less), and who all the team members are, then things will start to speed up. I know that as of this time last year, there were still some major issues that needed to be worked out. We just have to be patient.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:58 PM

I should think that the CC has some incentive to get things moving sooner rather than later. It's well known that they're hoarding cash and I think their tax dedications are going to be on the chopping block if they can't show some progress. The state and city could both use the extra money. That being said, I'm not hopeful. It's a bad sign when the dealmaking portion takes this long. Local governmental entities have an extremely poor record with development, with the exception of the airport, whose new terminal project only had a minor delay due to them wanting to build bigger than originally planned. And really the airport is only as efficient as it is because the airlines have a say in the construction management.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 1:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I should think that the CC has some incentive to get things moving sooner rather than later. It's well known that they're hoarding cash and I think their tax dedications are going to be on the chopping block if they can't show some progress. The state and city could both use the extra money. That being said, I'm not hopeful. It's a bad sign when the dealmaking portion takes this long. Local governmental entities have an extremely poor record with development, with the exception of the airport, whose new terminal project only had a minor delay due to them wanting to build bigger than originally planned. And really the airport is only as efficient as it is because the airlines have a say in the construction management.
has anyone here ever negotiated a multi billion dollar project with government, quasi government and private entities all at the same time and needing to get legislation passed for a project that is basically going to be its own city with all the requisite utilities needed etc and a build out likely to last a decade to completely finish? I mean come on guys!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 10:05 PM

I don't think anyone expects every last detail in the plans to be finished at this point. However, it's troubling that they haven't even definitively settled on the developer. The last I read, they were leaving the door open to bringing a different group, even after all of the RFP processes. There's a clear pattern in this city of having an extensive RFP process, and then the deal getting stuck in negotiations and getting scrapped.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...54903baed.html
Quote:
While those are positive steps, Johnson said it would "be a reasonable consideration" to go back to the drawing board and send out another request for proposals if a deal isn't reached by the end of the year.
On the bright side, this could suggest that the CC is set out to do this project right. I feared from the beginning that it would be significantly scaled down by the time the plans were finalized.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 5:12 PM
-

Oral arguments for Four Seasons appeal are set for January 18th at fourth circuit. Assume we will hear something shortly after since I think the case is flimsy at best. Im assuming the plaintiff will appeal to supreme court regardless. but that court doesnt have to take the case and can deny it right?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Oral arguments for Four Seasons appeal are set for January 18th at fourth circuit. Assume we will hear something shortly after since I think the case is flimsy at best. I'm assuming the plaintiff will appeal to supreme court regardless. but that court doesn't have to take the case and can deny it right?
That is correct. And it more likely than not they aren't going to hear it because it's not really covering any new legal arguments which is what they usually want to take.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 5:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbroZX286 View Post
That is correct. And it more likely than not they aren't going to hear it because it's not really covering any new legal arguments which is what they usually want to take.
So hopefully this is the end of the road..

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:46 PM

For those of you following the MSY updates: Spirit Airlines announced three new nonstop trips from New Orleans. Cleveland, Orlando, & Baltimore.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:33 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
For those of you following the MSY updates: Spirit Airlines announced three new nonstop trips from New Orleans. Cleveland, Orlando, & Baltimore.
great to see

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:29 PM
-

710 Baronne Construction Set:

The Jung:

Charity Hospital Cleanout Started:

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:26 AM
-

So pics I took tonight from around my block:

Canal Crossing:

1600 Canal

1630 Canal

The Jung

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:47 PM

Carrollton Ave

Does anyone know what they're building on South Carrollton across from Daughters of Charity/next to Wendy's?

Also, it appears the Tulane Ave streetscape project has halted. Yet again.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:16 PM

MSY Food Vendors

Updates on the process of selecting food outlets in the new terminal:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...r_orleans_news

Two groups were recommended and need approval. They collectively proposed several restaurants, including Leah's Kitchen (like Leah Chase), Folse Market (John Folse), Bar Sazerac, Pizza Domenica, Johnny Sanchez, Angelo Brocato, PJs Coffee, Mondo (Susan Spicer), MoPho, Ye Olde College Inn, Cure, Emeril's Table, Willie Mae's, Starbucks, Burger King, Auntie Anne's, Panda Express, and Lucky Dogs. In my opinion a fantastic mixture of options - and all available to all travelers with the new design!

Now I'm concerned with how the renderings show the main airport structure without the slatted wood ceilings that were a signature part of the design. Hoping that's just to simplify the background and feature the food outlet in their rendering though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations