HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:57 PM

Thats a phony proposal and has no legs. The downtown one.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Thats a phony proposal and has no legs. The downtown one.
Which downtown proposal are you referencing?

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:33 PM

The Church thing on St. Mary. IIRC it was an enthusiastic member of the congregation showing what could potentially be done with the site. They have zero money, plans or anything else from my understanding.

That came up around the some time TNS was being developed. So maybe there was some work done on potential development, as TNS is now built tight tot the property line with windows facing the church property. That's typically not permitted. Maybe TNS and the church have an agreement of osme sort.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:47 PM

I'm going to do a little topic necromancy here, anyone know whatever happened to the redevelopment plan at North Gate Mall? Haven't heard a peep on that in over a year.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:55 PM

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...30223(RM)C-128

Subdivision and rezoning was approved by council with conditions Feb 23, 2023. I assume they're working through the money.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I'm going to do a little topic necromancy here, anyone know whatever happened to the redevelopment plan at North Gate Mall? Haven't heard a peep on that in over a year.
They were just at the community committee asking for a year extension for registration of plans or some such.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:29 PM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:14 PM

Interest rates just got cut .25%. Will this be enough to move the needle on projects or is it too small to be noticeable?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:57 PM

Means pretty much dick for homeowners but on large value loans for builders it will likely help a bit. I imagine it’s more the psychological impact of the implied future downward trajectory that will be more affected than bottom lines at this juncture.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Interest rates just got cut .25%. Will this be enough to move the needle on projects or is it too small to be noticeable?
Fixed rate loans are priced by market expectations. A widely anticipated rate cut won't move lending rates. They've already been declining.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:56 PM

Seems Paragon might be working on something for 2675 Portage Ave...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...esentation.pdf

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Seems Paragon might be working on something for 2675 Portage Ave...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...esentation.pdf
Looks like a great project! This is exactly the kind of project our city needs right now; purpose built rental housing built on a currently underutilized site (just a restaurant and a bunch of parking) next to transit and amenities. It's a large project, 7-12 stories, so it will provide lots of new housing. Also, since it's on Portage Ave and close to the Courts of St James, which are three 15-story apartment buildings, there hopefully won't be too much opposition to the project.

I have two friends who are looking to move out of their parent's house this summer. Both of them are extremely frustrated at the high prices and lack of availability for apartments right now. Crazy to think how much worse the situation is in other cities. Like I said above, this kind of project is desperately needed right now. Hope to see many more like this one in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Looks like a great project! This is exactly the kind of project our city needs right now; purpose built rental housing built on a currently underutilized site (just a restaurant and a bunch of parking) next to transit and amenities. It's a large project, 7-12 stories, so it will provide lots of new housing. Also, since it's on Portage Ave and close to the Courts of St James, which are three 15-story apartment buildings, there hopefully won't be too much opposition to the project.

I have two friends who are looking to move out of their parent's house this summer. Both of them are extremely frustrated at the high prices and lack of availability for apartments right now. Crazy to think how much worse the situation is in other cities. Like I said above, this kind of project is desperately needed right now. Hope to see many more like this one in the near future.

It's Paragon too, they get shit done and seem to have reasonable prices for new builds.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:38 PM

i'd love if they pushed past 7 and went with the 12 floor proposal. that'd be their tallest development to date and hopefully drives them to keep getting higher and higher as they seem to be the preeminent developer in the city. get the ball rolling on portage having a mini boom like pembina!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:16 PM
surely you agree with me

building on the sidewalk...parking in the back?....have I died and left Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:23 PM
the first stamp is free

^ don't worry, it's early in the design process - still plenty of time to correct that obvious mistake.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:29 PM

Hahahahah oh you guys

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:00 AM

I'm actually bummed at losing RnR Restaurant. There are very few family casual restaurants left, and it's probably a popular amenity for the hundreds of residents nearby.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
I'm actually bummed at losing RnR Restaurant. There are very few family casual restaurants left, and it's probably a popular amenity for the hundreds of residents nearby.
Any idea if they are relocating? Restaurants move sometimes. Even if their building is being sold, they could relocate the business to a new building.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Some of the worst food I've ever had was at RnR. My stomach couldnt handle going back, I got mad food poisoning at the Regent at Lag location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan