HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 11:25 PM

I think the whole 1031 Canal project has been poorly handled. After a very public campaign to get the height restrictions loosened for what was supposed to be an all residential project, they get backdoor approval to turn it into a hotel and in the process cause months if not years of delay. This sort of thing will hinder attempts to develop more densely in more sensitive neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I believe they are building the foundation for it though.. but yeah who knows when the hotel will be built.

1031 ive heard financing trouble as a result of who was financing it not being able to anymore or something like that... wish they would sell the site to other developers since its a really prime site... my guess is they are shopping around for new financing.. i still think site ends up being fully hotel but time will tell
I'm not surprised. This is classic with this family (at 1031). They can be messy and it's so disappointing.. I was worried when they tore down the old Woolworth's. They should sell...while I certainly like the idea of residential at this corner, I'd like to see this corner become a full-scale Nieman Marcus or Nordstrom. It's no secret they have been looking around and there aren't many Downtown locations available....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
I'm not surprised. This is classic with this family (at 1031). They can be messy and it's so disappointing.. I was worried when they tore down the old Woolworth's. They should sell...while I certainly like the idea of residential at this corner, I'd like to see this corner become a full-scale Nieman Marcus or Nordstrom. It's no secret they have been looking around and there aren't many Downtown locations available....
At this location they could always do a Nieman Marcus on the first 2/3 floors and then hotel and/or apartments above. I don't see it being a one or the other here. Especially with the height they were already talking about.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 9:37 PM
TL;DR

Department stores generally are struggling, and the corner of Canal/Rampart is still pretty shabby despite the massive work on the Saenger. Mid-market dept stores like Macy's and Dillards aren't really expanding anywhere, and the healthier chains at the top end that are still slowly growing (Neiman, Nordstrom, Bloomies) wouldn't be interested in Canal/Rampart. Not to mention the parking challenges at that location.

Certainly there is still the one vacant site at Canal Place that could easily accommodate a new department store and tower, and has an existing massive garage. Plus there are the parking lots along Convention Center Blvd, which are close to the Riverwalk shops, convention/tourist hotels, and more parking.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 26, 2016 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 2:27 AM

Rampart Street is a totally different place now that the streetcar work has finished. The improved lighting and landscaping was a major improvement. I think that corner of Rampart and Canal would be as viable, if not more, than the empty lot near Canal Place. With all of the development on the upper part of Canal, there will be a lot more foot traffic in a few years.

Speaking of which, it is surprising they haven't proposed something for the Canal Place lot. It would make a lot of sense to add some street-accessible retail space to liven up the area, perhaps with a couple of floors of department store, and an apartment tower above.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 12:18 AM

Does anyone know what's going on with the Parkway Apartments project at Washington Avenue and South Jefferson Davis Highway? As far as I know it has all of the approvals.Work started on clearing the lot and putting in test pilings earlier this year, but the site has been empty for several months now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 9:19 PM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 10:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbroZX286 View Post
Well hopefully appeal gets rejected quickly. any idea on the time frame for this? Not surprised this guy did this as hes a complete disgrace and a reason why tort reform is so badly needed in this country!

On a lighter note put a tree up on roof for Christmas:

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 1, 2016 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 12:28 AM

Great looking tree on a great looking building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Well hopefully appeal gets rejected quickly. any idea on the time frame for this
The appeal will be heard in January.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 5:25 AM

Quote:
The appeal will be heard in January.
And likely rejected immediately. Two Canal (Fisher) had 10 days to file an objection to the trial date and failed to do so. Since the appeal can only be based on the merits of the dismissal and nothing else, I can't see the appeals court sympathizing much with a plaintiff who failed to follow basic court procedure.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 5:27 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
And likely rejected immediately. Two Canal (Fisher) had 10 days to file an objection to the trial date and failed to do so. Since the appeal can only be based on the merits of the dismissal and nothing else, I can't see the appeals court sympathizing much with a plaintiff who failed to follow basic court procedure.
I'm assuming that can then be appealed to Supreme Court ? Can four seasons people appeal directly to Supreme Court for a final judgement ?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:43 PM
-

Quote:
While I agree we know he will exhaust every legal avenue because this guy has a huge ego. So whats after the appeal? does this go to to supreme court in the state or no?

Added some lights to the tree:

Some pics from around my house yesterday:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:05 AM

The state supreme court would definitely be the final judgement on this case if he appeals the appellate court decision.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:24 AM
-

Quote:
The state supreme court would definitely be the final judgement on this case if he appeals the appellate court decision.
So we can assume he will do that

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 12:39 AM

Any updates on the trade district proposal?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 9:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
Any updates on the trade district proposal?
Plan was to have a deal signed by the end of the year. Since the rezoning is about to be finalized id assume this is the schedule going forward!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:09 PM

Heres hoping, it had everything. A regenerated and modernized CC, an anchor high rise hotel, retail, bars, restaurants, apartments, green space, office and academic facilities.

Just getting a tad concerned its being dragged out and time causes things to fall apart!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:32 PM
-

1731 Canal St, 1715 Canal St, 141 N Claiborne Ave, 1728 Iberville St, ·Variance · Project #16-2747 ·Ref Code: DRQJ0J
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Variance
Applicant:
643 Magazine, LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
12/5/2016
Closed:
No
Description
Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.3.A.1 (Table 151) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance. Request: This request is to permit the construction of a mixed-use development (retail/multi-family residence) with insufficient minimum lot area per dwelling unit.

The Jung Signage:

The Troubadour (opens the 14th)

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 7, 2016 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 6:13 PM

I may be unpopular for this, but I love that Canal Street apartment complex!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations