HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 11:12 PM

Collaros just picking the Riders apart.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 3:58 PM
Community Guy

Calgary struttin' last night over Edmonton and the Elks.

Thankfully it was fun to watch and exciting at times.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:24 PM
arf

2-2 again for 37-18.

Really starting to suck at these picks, but I'm finishing this out this year.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: coin flip really, pick the home team. Edmonton is still not very good, but neither is Saskatchewan; pretty meaningless game for both as both would lose on the road against the East number two at this point in time; who gets to be the playoff loser as opposed to just the loser?
Winnipeg @ Hamilton: Winnipeg, even with almost nothing to play for
BC @ Calgary: Calgary. They will close in at the home playoff berth here

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 10:07 PM

Gary Stern brought back his Twitter account today and posted support for the Alouettes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Gary Stern brought back his Twitter account today and posted support for the Alouettes.
I was going to post about that. I was wondering why the hell he couldn't keep posting if he still retained his percentage and later the organization would keep the status quo.

I think there may have been a media narrative that he wasn't a popular guy amongst the BOG (don't know if that is true or not) but he sure as hell was popular with the fans. I wonder if he can raise the gate for the next home game.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I was going to post about that. I was wondering why the hell he couldn't keep posting if he still retained his percentage and later the organization would keep the status quo.

I think there may have been a media narrative that he wasn't a popular guy amongst the BOG (don't know if that is true or not) but he sure as hell was popular with the fans. I wonder if he can raise the gate for the next home game.
I am thinking maybe Stern and the Spiegel estate had some big bru ha ha and Gary seems the very impulsive type and is why he stormed off and now maybe he regrets it and has come back? As long as they are providing stable ownership and Chechini can rebuild the Als fanbase and corporate support like he has then it should be ok.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:16 PM

Good news, Tre Ford will be back in the Edmonton lineup this week, albeit as a backup.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
I am thinking maybe Stern and the Spiegel estate had some big bru ha ha and Gary seems the very impulsive type and is why he stormed off and now maybe he regrets it and has come back? As long as they are providing stable ownership and Chechini can rebuild the Als fanbase and corporate support like he has then it should be ok.
It's hard to imagine too many issues with Stern and Spiegel's estate as Stern's wife is likely a beneficiary and Spiegel and Stern were on good terms.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
It's hard to imagine too many issues with Stern and Spiegel's estate as Stern's wife is likely a beneficiary and Spiegel and Stern were on good terms.
Interesting I don't know the in and outs of their families relationship

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Interesting I don't know the in and outs of their families relationship
Stern is Spiegel's son in law.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Most likely the benefactors don't want to use the estate's funds to cover the losses of a football team.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Most likely the benefactors don't want to use the estate's funds to cover the losses of a football team.
Apparently they do as they are refusing to sell and want to keep the team I posted this on here last week as reported by 3downnation

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Apparently they do as they are refusing to sell and want to keep the team I posted this on here last week as reported by 3downnation
That's true, all of which made me wonder why Stern went AWOL for a bit when in essence little had changed.

Having said that, I have a pretty good handle on the worth of most of the CFL owners and groups. It's not a mom and pop shop anymore, they are all well backed, but this is the group I know little about.

Like Hamilton getting Stelco on board, I would like to see the Montreal group offer 25% or more to a local investor.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:05 PM

So it took a while to finally come together, but I'm going to Montreal next week for the Ticats game! Heading up Wednesday coming back Sunday.

I haven't been there since I was a kid, any recommendations of what to do and see while we're there?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I haven't been there since I was a kid, any recommendations of what to do and see while we're there?
Schwartz's Delicatessen

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 1:46 PM

For a member of this forum I might suggest the CCA

https://www.cca.qc.ca/en/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:09 PM
Community Guy

The Edmonton Elks have signed quarterback Taylor Cornelius to a two-year extension through to 2024. Born in Texas and seasoned at Oklahoma State, Taylor is a “young up-and-coming quarterback” who is “trending in the right direction,” according the team’s assistant general manager.
-taproot

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Schwartz's Delicatessen
That's the one thing that had figured out I've been to Katz's in NYC, looking forward to the Canadian equivalent. Planning on bringing a cooler so I can bring some smoked meat home with me.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:46 PM

3-1 last week for a 39-16 record. The Lions let me down, sigh.

For this week, all 3 games are slam dunks on paper. The challenge will be to determine whether there will be any upsets.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - Riders should get back on a winning track. Saskatchewan.

Winnipeg @ Hamilton - Some people have picked Hamilton but I'm just not seeing it. Winnipeg.

BC @ Calgary - I'm done with BC until Rourke is back. Calgary

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 7:34 PM

I expect the Bombers to win as well but I think it will be close. Bombers have lots of injuries and their secondary is kinda decimated with Taylor being the latest casualty. I'm not sure if Brandon Alexander is back from his season-long injury but if he is that should help although it may take a few games to get up to speed. They are also using the backup to the backup as one of their linebackers with Kyrie Wilson and Clement out with injuries. I'm not sure if Bighill is questionable for this game as well.

Even though he has real struggled this season, I could see Evans and the Ticats racking up the yards for this game...decent chance at 400+ yard. The key will be to limit many of those yard-chewing drives to field goals and singles.

Ticats also have a decent interior line and a good defense, so I can see the Bombers struggling with the run and Zach struggling at times with the pressure. It doesn't help that the Bombers are still down their best receiver in Ellingson and a decent Canadian receiver in Wolitarsky.

Still I will go with a Bomber victory. Hopefully they can limit their turnovers to 2 or less while they hopefully get 3 or more from the Ticats who I believe average 3 or more of those per game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada