HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
so what your saying is I wouldn't need to make any modifications on a old manual focus lens to make it work with a d7000, this would work great with an ultra wideangle lens where focus is unimportant, just set it at infinity and shoot away. Any old Nikon fisheye (prime) lens you can recommend?

^^that's right.

But don't expect to find a cheap manual focus wide angle, the fisheyes from the 1970s still sell for $400+ and the 18mm and 20mm wides are going to be over $200.

This site lists every lens made by Nikon:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

I've seen a Russian fisheye lens for cheap, but I don't know if it's any good.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 6:06 PM

Is there a reason why transit systems in general seem to require permits to use photography on their premises for commercial purposes? It seems as though provided you paid your fair and aren't interfering with regular transit service, the transit property should act as public property such as parks and sidewalks and beaches. Just because someone is selling photographs professionally doesn't mean they can pay out for a bunch of permits. I understand if you want to do a special shoot where the station, train, bus, etc. would need to be emptied and not in service, but most people don't do that. I've seen people on the web have their photos up for sale commercially of transit property, and I'm not so sure all have permits (even some SSP'ers IIRC). I'd just sell them regardless, but I don't want to get in trouble down the line.

/end question-rant mix.

...thanks Okayyou. Diskojoe, I don't think that'd look so nice for a landscape photo.

Last edited by ue; Aug 10, 2011 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:43 PM
3rd Coast King

Wished I would have known that before I made a whole book with photos cropped that way.

it would look something like this....

Stranger 16 - Adam by Matt Moser ll Moserphotoworks.com, on Flickr

made props to my flickr contact matt moser

So doing something like this would require a proper type of frame to make it look right. But I really did just make a book that was 8x10 with all the photos cropped to this type of orientation. I thought it looked great.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I'm honestly not following what you're asking.

I can only suggest that you should pickup an external flash that mounts onto the hotshoe of your camera, one that has an adjustable angle / rotation head.

Get some books on photography from the library too... before Ford closes them on you.
To make a long story short, a camera that can take decent pictures in the dark at far range. The amateur one I have can sure illuminate things at close range with the flash, but night pictures and darkly lit rooms don't work out from a distance.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:49 PM
So very tired...

How far is 'far range'? It is quite difficult to light large distant objects artificially. You may be better served with a tripod and a long exposure.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:52 PM

Yea in the dark a tripod is necessary. Long range would be considered beyond the flashes range to illuminate.

The ISO function works for bright light in the sun, but crap in the dark. But it's a regular camera more suited to social gatherings. I would eventually get a better one but make sure it's up to the task to take urban photos.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 1:18 AM

Gents, a question: what advice would you give to someone who wants to be a photographer (is going to start university in two weeks) and decided as such that they should buy over ten thousand dollars worth of expensive camera equipment that they'll never know how to properly work and who continually wastes the time of someone like me?

Essentially, what advice would you give to an 18 year old girl who had Mommy and Daddy buy a lot of camera equipment, who knows nothing of the art, doesn't take anything seriously, and thinks the world revolves around them? I ask because I'm sick of trying to deal with her on my own and I'd like a technically accurate and well composed rant to shout at them the next time they try to waste my time (which has happened a lot, with the last time forcing me to put my foot down on this stupid little game).

And . . . go.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 1:46 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Gents, a question: what advice would you give to someone who wants to be a photographer (is going to start university in two weeks) and decided as such that they should buy over ten thousand dollars worth of expensive camera equipment that they'll never know how to properly work and who continually wastes the time of someone like me?

Essentially, what advice would you give to an 18 year old girl who had Mommy and Daddy buy a lot of camera equipment, who knows nothing of the art, doesn't take anything seriously, and thinks the world revolves around them? I ask because I'm sick of trying to deal with her on my own and I'd like a technically accurate and well composed rant to shout at them the next time they try to waste my time (which has happened a lot, with the last time forcing me to put my foot down on this stupid little game).

And . . . go.
uhh....

... is she hot?

Flickr®

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
uhh....

... is she hot?
Yes, very, which is what makes it so hard to be so bleedin' angry at her.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Is there a reason why transit systems in general seem to require permits to use photography on their premises for commercial purposes? It seems as though provided you paid your fair and aren't interfering with regular transit service, the transit property should act as public property such as parks and sidewalks and beaches. Just because someone is selling photographs professionally doesn't mean they can pay out for a bunch of permits. I understand if you want to do a special shoot where the station, train, bus, etc. would need to be emptied and not in service, but most people don't do that. I've seen people on the web have their photos up for sale commercially of transit property, and I'm not so sure all have permits (even some SSP'ers IIRC). I'd just sell them regardless, but I don't want to get in trouble down the line ...
In my limited experience, some systems require a permit even for personal photography. A permit application generally includes a waiver of responsibility for damage to or theft of the photographer's equipment, and an agreement to abide by rules that include not entering any areas not accessible to the general public and not interfering with the movement or safety of passengers or employees. Often it includes not using a tripod (tripping hazard).

Some systems don't require a permit at all, so long as you abide by the above set of rules (Chicago's Metra and CTA), but at attended, high-volume stations like Van Buren and Millennium I always check in with security or the station manager in case a passenger reports suspicious activity. Your camera affects how you'll be regarded; in a lot of places you can snap a few photos with a pocket-sized digicam and go unnoticed and unchallenged. Use a DSLR with a big lens, and you're much more likely to be asked what your intentions are.

Some rail systems, like Pittsburgh's, are strictly off-limits. You can photograph it all you want from public property and there's nothing they can do, but be seen taking photos on the system property and you're in for a hard time, even though there are no signs anywhere stating that photography is prohibited. I came close to being arrested for grabbing a couple of shots in the Steel Plaza station.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post

And . . . go.

You should encourage her and her family to buy even more expensive equipment, that way when she gets fedup with photography you can swoop in and buy all the stuff at a deep discount ...think ahead my good man

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 2:16 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
You should encourage her and her family to buy even more expensive equipment, that way when she gets fedup with photography you can swoop in and buy all the stuff at a deep discount ...think ahead my good man
exactly what i was thinking.

And if she's hot maybe she'll let you play with her....................... gear

Plus its your duty as a photographer top document this happening.

Hey if they have lots of money tell them to buy two copies of the same lens and give you one so you can teach her to us is. Dont let them be cheap, get the prime action.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

Theres a rumor that on Aug 27th Nikon will introduce the d800, the replacement to the amazing d700. I cant wait and Ive been waiting for this D800 or possibly D700X to be announced forever. For those of you who dont know the D700 came out about I dont know 6 years ago and its a full frame camera, and is about 6 grand cheaper than the Nikons D3X, another full frame camera. It will be about 2500 bucks, a steep price but it will be kick ass when it comes out hopefully soon.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
So very tired...

Good to hear...I will finally be able to pick up a D700 when the price comes down...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:51 PM

I think I'm satisfied with my D90. No equipment lust lately.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:33 PM
3rd Coast King

its pretty hard to beat the high iso capabilities of the d3. even at 6400 iso you can get complete grain free images handheld at night. i believe that's what giallo uses still. id do like bulliver said and get the d700 cheap when the other comes out. first edition is always bad to buy if your on a budget in case there are bugs.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
So very tired...

D3s and D700 have the same sensor, and thus the same high ISO capabilities.

When (if?) the D700 drops under $2000 I'm going to grab one...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 8:24 PM

I would imagine you guys know some good websites or stores even to find quality used camera gear. I've realized, now that I'm on a budget, that used gear can be a lot cheaper, and I'm trying to decide what kind of lens to add to my small collection of gear before moving up to Portland.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

BHphoto has lots of used equipment, I wouldnt trust ebay with used cameras and such.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
BHphoto has lots of used equipment, I wouldnt trust ebay with used cameras and such.
Excellent, thanks. I pretty much eliminated eBay after dealing with some sketchy sales. I'll check BHphoto out tomorrow when I'm not tired and irrational.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography