HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 1:39 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
^ I thought they were there since the open house??
Could be, but it's the first time I've seen them.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 4:01 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 5:12 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That is completely up to the retailers that lease the space. As far as I know there will be no tenants until after the games though.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
That is completely up to the retailers that lease the space. As far as I know there will be no tenants until after the games though.
oh that sucks, what is the reasoning behind that??

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 7:16 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think they decided that it would be futile to have retailers come in complete their build out and then have to shut down after only a few months for the duration of the games. I'm sure someone here might know more details.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Think they decided that it would be futile to have retailers come in complete their build out and then have to shut down after only a few months for the duration of the games. I'm sure someone here might know more details.
I thought of that but how long would they really have to shut down for, i was thinking it would just be for a couple of weeks?

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 12:44 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The convention centre is handed over to Vanoc in November, in early Jan the final sweep is completed and the building is locked down, it will remain locked down till after the Para Games and then take a few weeks to return to it's original state, so the closure is actually close to 3months. Although there has been rumours that the shutdown for the Para games might be less intrusive, all neighbours have been told to expect the that time frame.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 12:34 AM

Landscaping update (my photo, taken today):

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:19 AM
Site 8 Lives

I was at the new convention centre on Monday for the David Plouffe (Obama chief strategist) keynote at the Convergence conference. Others on this forum may have been as well.

One of the major shortcomings at the centre was the lack of a coffee shop. The Plouffe speech was sold out, so when I learned there was no coffee kiosk in the building, I took a major gamble by bolting out of the centre 5 minutes before the start and dashed to the SBUX in the Pan Pacific.

In the end, I still got a decent seat, thank goodness. And my morning brew.

But even some kind of temporary coffee arrangement is needed desperately at the new convention centre. Otherwise, it runs the risk of being held up to ridicule by the usual suspects/critics, and perhaps rightfully so -- (ie. "$100 million and you can't get a cup of coffee?")

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:37 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Cross the street and get a coffee at the 6bux in Shawtower.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:19 AM

I'm sure they'll have a coffee shop somewhere along the facade, most likely the eastern facade facing Canada Place, after the Olympics. Can't you wait a year? :p

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:54 AM
Site 8 Lives

Yeah, yeah, yeah, cross the street. Fine.

But it takes 5 minutes just to walk from one side of the stretch of the convention centre to another, and it's especially inconvenient when it's raining outside.

Sure, I'm being spoiled. But one thing about conventioners, they aren't afraid to complain... and complain they will if they are faced with a localized coffee shortage.

Just stick a coffee kiosk inside the centre is all I'm saying. Similar to what they have done in the brand new Denver convention centre.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:13 PM

that is pretty werid - you would think they could at least do a coffee trolly or a pot on a table

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 9:35 AM

I took these yesterday:

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:04 PM

It is silly they don't have some basic food and coffee services for the public in the building. They certainly have the capability with the extensive catering services offered for Conventions.

One could argue that the passive security is the reason, but I don't buy that. Even the DC Convention Center, which for security reasons was often very aggressive in questioning the intentions of anyone in the center without a prominent convention badge, had two very nice mini food-court areas that anyone could walk in and dine at. They also had a stand-alone starbucks nicely integrated into the grand entry area at the main entrance. The food courts were very popular around lunch-time. I lived close and used to eat there on days I was working from home.

So it is clearly possible. I see that as one of the few planning flaws of the new center, but it could be remedied, at least partially. A nice kiosk could be added in the main entry area.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:30 PM

I was with a few friends at the convention centre a few days ago, and i told them that they were building a huge marina right in front of the convention centre...they agreed with me that it would destroy the dramatic and non-obstructed views from the seawall.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
One of the major shortcomings at the centre was the lack of a coffee shop. The Plouffe speech was sold out, so when I learned there was no coffee kiosk in the building, I took a major gamble by bolting out of the centre 5 minutes before the start and dashed to the SBUX in the Pan Pacific.

In the end, I still got a decent seat, thank goodness. And my morning brew.

But even some kind of temporary coffee arrangement is needed desperately at the new convention centre. Otherwise, it runs the risk of being held up to ridicule by the usual suspects/critics, and perhaps rightfully so -- (ie. "$100 million and you can't get a cup of coffee?")
Chances are, a coffee shop hasn't been installed yet because the facility will be handed over to VANOC on I think Nov 1, 2009 for preparation for the Olympics.
If a stand/shop were installed before then, all of the leasehold improvements would be required to be removed for handover to VANOC.
You'll probably see a kiosk installed after the Olympics.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:17 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I was with a few friends at the convention centre a few days ago, and i told them that they were building a huge marina right in front of the convention centre...they agreed with me that it would destroy the dramatic and non-obstructed views from the seawall.
I don't think it will be that bad. The seawall is quite high up, even a whole bunch of sailboats won't really wreck the view. Most of the view is looking at eye level and above, towards the mountains. Really only the view of water traffic will be obstructed.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 2:11 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Found this:

http://www2.cityfood.com/
CITY FOOD.com

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Last edited by metroXpress; May 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 6:25 AM

I took some shots during the Open House back in April, and FINALLY spent a few hours today to process them. Here are a few, the rest are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbostyl...7619668126500/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver