HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:52 PM

Then we disagree.

But I don't think I'm digging too deep, I just think you aren't digging at all and accepting it for face value.

To me this is the "Little Italy" proposal on a grander scale. Sure the city has 600 people that were born in Italy (made up number), so even if you build a "Little Italy", will it really attract more Italians? or even attract those Italians living here to congregate around this development?

What attracted the "Asians" here in the first place? and what kept them coming?

The first answer is probably jobs and opportunities, the second is probably word-of-mouth chatter amongst family and friends.

Building a new project and calling it something to attract others has a very small likelihood of working. Taking the existing environment, such as some portions of the Fred. Rd. corridor and labeling it, say, "Little India", would have a better chance of succeeding; its taking the real way that things happen and working with it.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:29 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Then we disagree.

But I don't think I'm digging too deep, I just think you aren't digging at all and accepting it for face value.

To me this is the "Little Italy" proposal on a grander scale. Sure the city has 600 people that were born in Italy (made up number), so even if you build a "Little Italy", will it really attract more Italians? or even attract those Italians living here to congregate around this development?

What attracted the "Asians" here in the first place? and what kept them coming?

The first answer is probably jobs and opportunities, the second is probably word-of-mouth chatter amongst family and friends.

Building a new project and calling it something to attract others has a very small likelihood of working. Taking the existing environment, such as some portions of the Fred. Rd. corridor and labeling it, say, "Little India", would have a better chance of succeeding; its taking the real way that things happen and working with it.
The little italy is building off of something, an already italian American building that already hosts Italian American events. It's no, different than market square.

This Asian town development is trying build upon something. The asian groups behind it choose that locate for a reason and their idea isn't a bad one. I honestly don't get why you're so bothered by it. It's a Develoment aimed at Asian people, businesses, restaurants, etc. No different than surprise surprise Market Square or any other "strip mall" on military aimed at the latin community.

I along with others fail to see the problem with this proposed development.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:28 PM

Okay, so "building off of something" isn't the only qualifier for designating a place something and making it a success. I'm just saying that there are hundreds of variables that make a person consider a move somewhere.

If Market Squares intent was to attract Mexicans, it has done wonders for San Antonio.
And the strip malls off of Military? Well, I don't think they were put there to attract the "Latin" community; but I do think that the fact that they are there (local demand also dictates that) helps someone feel comfortable when thinking of moving here.

But if you think that its not as complicated as I'm suggesting and that it's as simple as this project .....you win.

I'm now headed off to Falls City to build a Polish Town Center next to Pollok's or maybe I'll do it next to Wiatrek's in Poth.?.?.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Okay, so "building off of something" isn't the only qualifier for designating a place something and making it a success. I'm just saying that there are hundreds of variables that make a person consider a move somewhere.

If Market Squares intent was to attract Mexicans, it has done wonders for San Antonio.
And the strip malls off of Military? Well, I don't think they were put there to attract the "Latin" community; but I do think that the fact that they are there (local demand also dictates that) helps someone feel comfortable when thinking of moving here.

But if you think that its not as complicated as I'm suggesting and that it's as simple as this project .....you win.

I'm now headed off to Falls City to build a Polish Town Center next to Pollok's or maybe I'll do it next to Wiatrek's in Poth.?.?.

First off, the group behind this development isn't trying to attract SA's to move to San Antonio, if that's a by product great, they simply trying to build a place where current Asians in SA can go to to set up their business with other similar business or eat or shop, etc. and it would be open to every one of all ethnicied and races and nationalities.

Again, no different than market square.

As for the strip malls I'm talking about, I mean PicaPica Plaza. I know there's another one that I can't remember the name to.

Bottomline, they're trying to establish a central business district for the Asian population.

In theory it's no different than the Asian district in west las Vegas. If you've been there you know what I mean.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 9:03 PM

Wow lots of change out there at the Medical Center

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 9:24 PM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

Wow lots of change out there at the Medical Center
Very nice!!!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 11:23 PM

Not sure if this has been posted but ground is soon to break in early 2013 on a high-end mixed used development in Leon Springs. 320 residential units, retail and offices.

Being developed by the same people behind the Quarry Village.

I've heard Tony Parker has plans for a French restaurant within the deveipment as well as there being a Trader Joe's. Would make sense with a Trader Joes about to open at Quarry Village.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:17 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Cool article in the New York Times about Rackspace's HQ:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/re...aYI13Jgezc31Sg

One tantalizing bit:
Quote:
Mr. Weston was indeed looking for a good deal, but he also had a grand vision of creating a tech mecca comparable to Austin’s so-called Silicon Hills, located 60 miles east of the mall and home to Dell and Hoover’s. He hired the New Urbanism pioneer Andres Duany to conceive a master development plan emphasizing diversity, sustainability and walkability
So many questions....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 1:45 AM

I've heard some of what he is planning for downtown and it is also very exciting. You will have to wait for his announcement.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 3:27 AM

Any idea...Downtown needs something to bring it to life.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 4:27 AM

Anyone know how much longer until his plans are made public?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I've heard some of what he is planning for downtown and it is also very exciting. You will have to wait for his announcement.
You can't just drop that on us and then not elaborate. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Any idea...Downtown needs something to bring it to life.
Come on man, downtown is anything but dead.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
Are you referring to the community garden? And the addition of turnips?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 6:19 PM

I heard he is getting involved in the Hemisfair plan.....
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 8:52 PM

Great news for Schertz:

Amazon to invest 150 million dollars to build a 1.2 million dollar square foot warehouse in Schertz.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...tz-4012883.php

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
I heard he is getting involved in the Hemisfair plan.....
Seems logical. Though I'd have expected something next to or near the Weston Center since he owns it and has Geekdom there. But Hemisphere is perfect for his involvement.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Seems logical. Though I'd have expected something next to or near the Weston Center since he owns it and has Geekdom there. But Hemisphere is perfect for his involvement.
I agree and disagree.

I would expect something north of the Weston Centre; not only because of the proximity to the office, but because there is the oppurtunity to develop something that ties the Pearl area to downtown. Sure the area is not empty, but it presents a greater area to spawn other projects. In particular, the old at&t complex is in the right area to do this. Hemisfair can't go anywhere but stay in the park.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 8:35 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Plus the improvements to Soledad and Main will help to make that part of downtown adjacent to the Weston Centre a more desirable area instead of the car-oriented 5-lane speedways those streets is now.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 7:47 AM
Paradise

Anyone know about this or where it is supposed to be?

http://www.hellermanus.com/The_Arion.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio