HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:35 AM

Yes thats the one.I think the city approved a loan for it but i haven't seen any more details.It looks pretty decent with some reuse of a hardware store.Further up there is going to be a very nice new Nora Navra library and the city is suppose to redevelop the streets on n claiborne and st benard into more modern usage(streetscapes).I hope that the circle food store reopens as something more than it was before.I'm not saying it has to be a whole foods,but pushing for something that might serve the bywater,FQ,mid city folks.This little area has a nice location and could be used for retail that is geared more towards local neighborhood commerce as opposed to tourist(canal/n rampart).

Library-
http://nutrias.org/~nopl/recovery/FIVELIBRARIESDB.pdf

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 5:45 PM

Yeah, that whole area is ripe for development in a number of areas. First, it could DEFINITELY use a grocery. Robert's really needs to reopen soon. There are so many types of businesses that could open up on St. Claude, St. Bernard, or other main streets around there. I've always felt that all the downtown neighborhoods are highly undervalued in the New Orleans Market. If private developers move in and the city continues with street upgrades and redevelopments of places like St. Roch Market and Iberville and the new streetcar line we could see a whole part of town on the rise for tourists and locals alike.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Anybody know what's going up between Leon C. Simon and New York? Right at the corner of Elysian Fields. I see that they're also redoing the building between Earhart and Vendome that has had the toilet hanging out of it for the last 3 years.
I think...think...that they are relocating the mosquito control from the airport to that place.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 11:13 PM
-

Looks like you were correct. ^^^

DBL006:Mosquito Control Administration Building Design-Build
Location: Leon C. Simon Blvd @ Elysian Field Ave., Council District D
Scope of Work:
Project Type: Other Public Spaces
Target Areas:
Current Status: Construction
Project Manager: Jade Rung
A/E Firm: TBD
General Contractor: Woodward Design-Build
Project Comments: Contract Approved
FEMA(PWs): 1391,1806, 2042, 1508, 2058, 10684, 12575
Current Total Project Cost: (Construction,Design,Management) $5,283,430.00

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 11:20 PM
-

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 11:27 PM
-

Almost finished Bridge House in New Orleans. Personally, I think its a really nice facility.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 11:30 PM
TL;DR

Wow, that is very nice!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:03 PM

Woodward Design Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
Does anyone know what's going up where Goodwill used to be on Jeff Davis, right next to the Coca Cola building? The signs say it's a Woodward project, but they don't seem to have anything on their site about it.
I remember reading a real estate transfer in the Times-Pic earlier this year that the Goodwill property was sold to Woodward. I also remember not too long after Katrina that Woodward was looking to build a new office for itself somewhere in the area of its current office. So, I just searched for building permits in the area and, indeed, Carl E. Woodward has a construction permit for that part of S. Jeff Davis for a 4 story office building and it lists Woodward Design Build as the owner. So, I speculate that the new pilings is that Woodward is building its own office building at the former Goodwill site.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 8:08 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 9:50 PM

Wonderful find Uptowner!
These proposals are very interesting. My thoughts on each of the three proposals:

1.) Eskew, Dumez, and Ripple: I like their overall idea of connecting the city back to the water. I also like the specific targeted areas. I'm not sure how I feel about some of their forms though...

2.) Perkins and Will: These are idiots who I dont believe know our city too well. I think the idea of a bunch of identical "seeds" located around the city is ridiculous. And they propose for one of these to be located right on top of the entire French Quarter?!?! These "seeds" seem very project-like. They were probably very upset when the projects were torn down because that's what these remind me of haha.

3.) Mathes Brierre: This is my favorite. I actually love most of these ideas, especially the revitalization of canal st, the trend of high rise residential towers downtown, and the transportation system connecting nola to baton rouge, the cities in between and beyond. The only two negative things I see are what looks like freeway in front of the quarter along the river, which was proposed in the 60s and didnt fly. The other is the replacement of the the streetcars. I feel like there could be both...

Overall, I'm not sure how realistic any of these overall proposals are to actually reaching fruition...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 11:38 PM

These Projects are really awesome!!! NEW ORLEANS IS IN THE BEST TIME FOR A REVIVALIZATION!!! THIS CITY HAS BEEN LIFTED UP AFTER THE SUPER BOWL N A NEW ADMINISTRATION!!! THIS WILL BE AN AWESOME PROJECTS TO SEE ESPECIALLY DOWNTOWN N THE GREENWAY!!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 12:25 AM

Armstrong Park restoration gets under way again

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ation_get.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 7:27 PM

Panama Canal widening is expected to send more cargo into the Gulf of Mexico

"Four years from completion, talk of the multibillion-dollar widening under way at the Panama Canal has become a familiar refrain for port operators along the East and Gulf coasts. "

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...he_panama.html

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:31 AM
-

Not really high-rise news but it seems Warner Bros was very happy with their Green Lantern shoot and have decided to shoot Batman 3 here as well! Great news for Nola!

Also, I saw the large space that was formally occupied by Planet Hollywood and then Ripleys Believe it or Not was leased and that construction was going on inside. Anyone have a clue what may be going in there?

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:46 AM
-

Rendering for The Gayle and Tom Benson Cancer Center at Oschner.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 5:50 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Not really high-rise news but it seems Warner Bros was very happy with their Green Lantern shoot and have decided to shoot Batman 3 here as well! Great news for Nola!

Also, I saw the large space that was formally occupied by Planet Hollywood and then Ripleys Believe it or Not was leased and that construction was going on inside. Anyone have a clue what may be going in there?
Yeah... great news, I guess.

I'll be interested to see how New Orleans factors into the plot, if at all. So far, Christopher Nolan has used exclusively Chicago to represent Gotham City, so he probably wouldn't want to throw scenes from another city in, unless part of the plot is actually set outside of Gotham.

I went to see Jonah Hex (shortest feature film/worst waste of $9.25 ever). If there were scenes filmed here, I didn't notice them. I think maybe they just used sound stages, which doesn't really do much for me.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 2:49 PM
-

Yeah, I see what your saying but in these fantasy films you arent supposed to be able to really spot the city. Although us skyscraper buffs can the average public doesnt really recognize much. But how Nolan will incorporate the change will be interesting.

BTW Im guessing some people in Chicago will be upset about it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 5:51 PM

Some Jamba Juice details...

7 new locations for the combined New Orleans/Baton Rouge market. So, your eyes weren't mistaken by the Jamba Juice signs.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jam...k=MW_news_stmp

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
7 new locations for the combined New Orleans/Baton Rouge market. So, your eyes weren't mistaken by the Jamba Juice signs.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jam...k=MW_news_stmp
Great news.
I wish that we could land Churro Mania, but I doubt they'll come here.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 11:54 PM
TL;DR

Good news on the Jamba expansion. I wonder where the other locations will end up? I hope we get one Uptown.

The first one is obviously at 930 Poydras. At least one Vets location is a sure thing, somewhere in Slidell, and Perkins Road in BR. After that... maybe Elmwood, Hammond, Uptown, Canal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
BTW Im guessing some people in Chicago will be upset about it.
According to what I read, on-location filming will continue to take place in Chicago. Nolan grew up outside the city, so he has a bit of loyalty.

New Orleans will be a second filming location, but as I said, it may be soundstage shots and not real "on-location" work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations