HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:09 PM

Interesting view of our skyline. Beautiful photos.

So, we have a lot of construction going on in downtown, several projects on deck to begin construction, but new news is slow.

There is this from today's paper:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/living...e72305667.html

Quote:
Beer notes: Clairvoyant Brewing to open in Boise’s West End

Three home brewers will take their game to the next level when they debut Clairvoyant Brewing Company (clairvoyantbrewing.com) early this summer.

Owners Ryan Kowalczyk, Mike Edmondson and Tim Carter will share the brewing responsibilities at the small brewery in Boise’s up-and-coming West End, an industrial area between Downtown Boise and Garden City. If all goes well, the brewery should be open by the end of June.

Quote:
Look for Lost Grove Brewing

Keep your eye out for Lost Grove Brewing, a 10-barrel brewery slated to open later this year in the burgeoning Lusk District near Boise State University.

Owner Jake Black, formerly of Payette Brewing, is currently remodeling the 5,000-square-foot space at 1026 S. La Pointe St.

The brewery will have a small tasting room with a patio and plenty of space for bicycles to park, which makes sense considering its close proximity to the Boise Bicycle Project.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:22 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e73962617.html

Ada County is doing some long range land use planning and would like the public's input.

http://www.adacounty2025.com/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 12:54 AM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...e65251822.html

Could be that I just missed it, but I didn't see anything about this being posted when the article came out about a month and a half ago. Not as big as the Basque game, but it'd be neat if it eventually resulted in another minor league team here in Boise. Tickets are $22 though, which seems a bit steep for the game and I don't think the Meridian location is the best either, but I guess there aren't a ton of other options.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e73962617.html

Ada County is doing some long range land use planning and would like the public's input.

http://www.adacounty2025.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley View Post
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...e65251822.html

Could be that I just missed it, but I didn't see anything about this being posted when the article came out about a month and a half ago. Not as big as the Basque game, but it'd be neat if it eventually resulted in another minor league team here in Boise. Tickets are $22 though, which seems a bit steep for the game and I don't think the Meridian location is the best either, but I guess there aren't a ton of other options.

Thanks for posting this info.

Another list from Condé Nast Traveler to read during your coffee break featuring Idaho and Colorado.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ive-in-the-us/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:27 PM

Here is a really good article about the Boise scene/culture from the Seattle Times.

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tra...o-stereotypes/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
Here is a really good article about the Boise scene/culture from the Seattle Times.

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tra...o-stereotypes/
Thanks for posting that article boisenative! It makes me happy knowing that a city as big and as great as Seattle notices a thriving city like Boise.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:55 PM

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...nsion-in-june/

Boise Bicycle Project to start work on expansion in June

By: Anne Wallace Allen April 28, 2016 0

Quote:
Boise Bicycle Project expects to start work in June on an expansion that will add about 2,000 square feet to its 3,000-square-foot workshop and offices near Boise State University on Lusk Street.

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...#ixzz47EAtzoQL

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 7:39 PM
not a cynic

Google maps has updated their aerials. Check it out. You know where.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 9:51 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Jerry's on 27th is closing

I heard that the north half of the lot his store is on has been sold. The section of the lot also has a house and the Islamic Center of Boise.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 9:58 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Under the blue Boise sky.
RIP Prince

8th Street is one happening place to be on a warm Saturday.

Construction is at it again on site at the Crescent Rim Condos.

Please forgive me for the slant. I was straddling my bike.

A priceless view

crane spotting

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; May 1, 2016 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:56 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Jerry's on 27th is closing

I heard that the north half of the lot his store is on has been sold. The section of the lot also has a house and the Islamic Center of Boise.
You mean the west half? The house to the west is 2709 Stewart and appears abandoned. I never knew it but it appears there's another lot, 2705 Stewart, in between. I always thought the parking lot was part of the store, but apparently not. Just rode by there before I saw this post and was wondering what's going on.

It was rumored several years ago that the Islamic Center wanted to expand and they were buying land out by Cloverdale, never heard anymore about that.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:33 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:28 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
crane spotting
from
Eagle Ridge
Balsamorhiza sagittata

Beautiful.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:44 PM
Closed account

Boise Skyline

May 3,2016

This is from the foothills above the VA Hospital. Took a walk in the Military Reserve and visited the old graves from the 1860s.
Most of the new construction is at the second floor level except the Inn at 500 Capital which is on the third floor shooting for a New Years Eve opening. The massive District apartments on Parkcenter are mostly framed, and roofing is on with siding being applied.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; May 3, 2016 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:04 PM
All man. Half nuts.

good article in IBR today about the future of the Boise Hawks.

not anything concrete (pun intended), but there is a quote from the Mayor that the city and team is "closer than ever" to a new stadium resolution, with mention of a downtown facility.

i take that with a huge grain of salt. "closer than ever" doesn't mean much when they were galaxies apart to begin with. but perhaps there will be some good news soon.

but as i said earlier, i still don't believe this is a rookie league city. it's grown far beyond that. reno does well in supporting their triple-A team, and i know boise would, too.

my dream would be that MLB would expand to portland, and the portland timbers would relocate/be sold to boise to play in a shiny new 10,000 seat ballpark in the west end. that would be sweet.

this, sad:

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
my dream would be that MLB would expand to portland, and the portland timbers would relocate/be sold to boise to play in a shiny new 10,000 seat ballpark in the west end. that would be sweet.
Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything but the Timbers aren't going anywhere, MLB to Portland or not. Providence Park (previously Jeld-Wen Field) was renovated in 2011 to be completely soccer-centric, of course meaning that it would be worthless to a potential MLB team. ESPN FC did an anonymous poll with MLS players and 42% of those polled said that Providence Park is the most intimidating place to play and has the best atmosphere in the entire league: http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...us-player-poll

Providence currently only seats about 21,000, but there are more expansion plans in the pipeline that would boost total capacity to about 30,000. There's a waitlist around 5,000 people deep just for season tickets and a 99% retention rate for current holders...

Portland has been a ravenous soccer city since the '70s, and the people there deserve that Timbers franchise more than anybody. Portland was selling out Providence Park every game long before they won the MLS Cup last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSEyLqOpZw

That said, I've heard rumors that Boise is getting a hard look as a potential landing spot for the Timbers 2 team. I think Boise would be an amazing location, especially given the large Basque community. I agree with you that Boise has the fanfare, culture, and the population to support sports leagues at a higher level... but the Timbers are off limits!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:42 PM

Any bets most offenders have 2C plates?

http://www.kivitv.com/news/bpd-noisy...you-a-citation

BPD: Noisy car or stereo in downtown Boise could net you a citation

Quote:
BOISE, Idaho - After numerous complaints downtown, the Boise Police Department wants to warn drivers to keep the noise down or they will be cited.

Officers will be looking for loud stereos, modified mufflers and other forms of excessive noise.

The citation can range from $65 up to hundreds of dollars depending on the crime and court fees.

BPD Officers will be focusing throughout downtown Boise but will be especially focused on 13th, 14th , Main and Idaho Streets.

For clarification, here is city code.

Section 6-20-03 NOISE PROHIBITIONS It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or permit the operation of any loud amplification device in such a manner that the sound therefrom:

A. is plainly audible within any place of residence not the source of the sound, or,
B. is plainly audible upon a public right-of-way or street at a distance of one hundred (100) feet or more from the source of such sound. (5788, Added, 03/18/1997)

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Any bets most offenders have 2C plates?
I actually got pulled over for this once on Boise Avenue. I was 19 or 20 and had a '96 Accord at the time, with regular stock stereo and speakers. I did have the windows down and the music pretty loud (Simon and Garfunkel, I believe, lol) but I remember being so surprised that that's all it took to get pulled over for noise pollution. I told the cop that and he said there had been complaints. He let me off with a warning

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 1:45 AM

Sounds like they are basically targeting "the cruise" downtown. I didn't even think that was much of an existence anymore. Anytime I have been coincidentally downtown on a weekend it seems the cruise isn't even a quarter of what it was in the late 90's when I was a teenager. Back then it seemed like it was extremely popular and everybody had a booming system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West