HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:50 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Wow, the article was in poor taste, certainly (which pretty much everyone called out as soon as it was posted). But as low as my expectations of the usuals are, I didn't expect them to blame this on so-called wokeist culture war crap. Give it a rest, Don Quixote.
*ding* *ding* *ding* Yep.

Essentially we have a piece of satire that fell flat, was a bit tone deaf and did indeed come across as more than a bit classist - all of which was intentional and not really moreso than many shitty op-eds in "publications of note". Somehow this is simultaneously beneath the Star as one of Canada's premiere newspapers (civility!), but also we don't like the Star anymore because it's just Too Woke. Oh! But now it's really about defending the plight of war-torn Syrians against the evil hypocritical Wokeists!

Talk about inventing a guy in your head and proceeding to get Very Angry at said guy.

Annnnyways - at the end of the day I still think it sucks that we treat a multinational corporation posing as down-home comfort as a proxy for Canadian Culture as quality continues to go down. Though that in of itself may be the most Canadian thing ever.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Annnnyways - at the end of the day I still think it sucks that we treat a multinational corporation posing as down-home comfort as a proxy for Canadian Culture as quality continues to go down. Though that in of itself may be the most Canadian thing ever.
My views about Tim Hortons are actually the same as yours. I actually suspect there might be some form of mild addictive substance (beyond coffee itself which already is one) in their brew.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The Byron and Lambeth areas of London, put together have a similar population to the Duncan CA, enjoy three Tim Hortons, no other chains, and the Cream Beanery Cafe which is out of the way of both "downtown" areas of those communities.
4 Tim's and a McDonalds. We also only have 1 self serve and 2 full serve gas stations, 2 regular and 1 small grocery store, 9 traffic lights, and no high schools. But we are attached to a city of 400,000

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
*ding* *ding* *ding* Yep.

Essentially we have a piece of satire that fell flat, was a bit tone deaf and did indeed come across as more than a bit classist - all of which was intentional and not really moreso than many shitty op-eds in "publications of note". Somehow this is simultaneously beneath the Star as one of Canada's premiere newspapers (civility!), but also we don't like the Star anymore because it's just Too Woke. .
Are you really sure you want to open that door in this thread?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...sentation.html

https://twitter.com/OurHomeErebor/st...835136/photo/1

Actually, maybe it is on-topic after all, as one of MolsonEx's most famous scato-puns is calling Tim Hortons "Rim Whoretons"!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My views about Tim Hortons are actually the same as yours. I actually suspect there might be some form of mild addictive substance (beyond coffee itself which already is one) in their brew.
The addictive additive, I suspect, is simply the price point. That and a coffee blend that's appealing to people who don't really care for coffee.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The addictive additive, I suspect, is simply the price point. That and a coffee blend that's appealing to people who don't really care for coffee.
I am not a coffee drinker but many people in my entourage are, and apparently McDonald's is even cheaper and has been for a while.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
There's gotta be something in it to make people sit in a line 25 cars deep, blocking traffic on a main road, to get it. If I drank it, I would have to leave for work an extra half hour early.

I do love the arguments on social media where the coffee drinkers think the drive thru should only be for them. That if I'm buying breakfast for the family, that I should be the one to park and try to carry a tray of drinks and a couple bags to the car. As if.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:58 PM

To steal a Little Caesar's meme format:

Tim Hortons: "It's cheap and it's ready!"
Me: "Is it good?"
Tim Hortons: "It's CHEAP and it's READY!"

Pretty much a direct parallel to LC in the pizza world, really. Not great, but better than nothing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
There's gotta be something in it to make people sit in a line 25 cars deep, blocking traffic on a main road, to get it. If I drank it, I would have to leave for work an extra half hour early.

I do love the arguments on social media where the coffee drinkers think the drive thru should only be for them. That if I'm buying breakfast for the family, that I should be the one to park and try to carry a tray of drinks and a couple bags to the car. As if.
A perfect example of the issues I have with Tim Hortons "culture".

"I'm gonna run you down in the drive-thru lane if you get between me and my double double."

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
A perfect example of the issues I have with Tim Hortons "culture".
"I'm gonna run you down in the drive-thru lane if you get between me and my double double."
The civil veneer on society is very thin, sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:42 PM

That article excerpt was koo-koo... "It's as if the Real Fruit Chill or Artisan Styled Grill-Cheese are wreaking havoc on the bottom line when, in reality, everything about Tim Hortons is problematic in 2019."

As we all know, being problematic is the most serious accusation that can be levelled at someone in 2021

Things went a little too crazy with the Tim Hortons mania 10-15 years ago, but the pendulum might have swung a bit too far the other way with this kind of elitist punching down nonsense. Sometimes people just want a quick cup of coffee without having to give hipsters a cut.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 5:08 PM

Yep, heaven forbid someone be content with mainstream. We should all be so lucky to be so easily sated.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Yep, heaven forbid someone be content with mainstream. We should all be so lucky to be so easily sated.
Mainstream doesn't have to sacrifice quality.

There is mainstream, and there is corporatism.

Shops like JJBean and Cafe Artigiano around Vancouver are opening up locations that number in the double digits.

From my impression they do not sacrifice quality or the brand in doing so.

Tim's does make it clear that once profit becomes the sole motive, it leads to ruin in nearly all other areas of the business.

All that said - a steeped tea double/double on a cold, but sunny fall day. Oh man. That can soothe the soul!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That article excerpt was koo-koo... "It's as if the Real Fruit Chill or Artisan Styled Grill-Cheese are wreaking havoc on the bottom line when, in reality, everything about Tim Hortons is problematic in 2019."

As we all know, being problematic is the most serious accusation that can be levelled at someone in 2021

Things went a little too crazy with the Tim Hortons mania 10-15 years ago, but the pendulum might have swung a bit too far the other way with this kind of elitist punching down nonsense. Sometimes people just want a quick cup of coffee without having to give hipsters a cut.
As I have said before, I am far from being a fan of Timmies.

The meta-association with Canadian pride is cringe-worthy and the obsession and addiction of some people is creepy.

That still doesn't give me the urge to demonize their entire client base with assumptive, often dubious associations.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:21 PM
Closed account

Well, um, I didn't expect this to go where it did.

Anyway, my larger commentary is that if one knows what to expect and is happy with that, that's fine.

In the case of Tim's, well, I know what I'm getting. It's cheap and the price is also cheap. Same with flipping through the Toronto Sun. I don't expect prize-winning writing from a newspaper (I use the term loosely) that also has the daily Sunshine Girl.

It's more disappointing expecting something better and being underwhelmed, as is the case with this article. If one's going to take pot shots from an elitist point-of-view, at least make them something better than what the Sun would level at the "Starbucks swilling liberal".

Tim's trades on nostalgia, ubiquity and low price. It works until it doesn't, just like major brewers are having a harder time keeping people buying mass produced beer by the case. I actually have seen a few local places positioned somewhat below Starbucks' demographic start nibbling at Tim's - the secret sauce is to have a drive-though without the excessive beverage frippery that makes Starbucks so time consuming.

It used to be that the local coffee shop was relatively unpretentious and once someone (re)discovers that market and that Tim's doesn't really offer much better, maybe things will change.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:56 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Wow, the article was in poor taste, certainly (which pretty much everyone called out as soon as it was posted). But as low as my expectations of the usuals are, I didn't expect them to blame this on so-called wokeist culture war crap. Give it a rest, Don Quixote.
I dunno what to say. Big city columnist shits all over hoi polloi is a classic trope going back millennia, and now in our current age it's been amped up to 11 by its Venn diagram alignment with woke culture. It's a central feature of our age, at least media-wise.

I would never say "nothing to see here, folks" about the right/far-right/alt-right MAGA phenomenon, but you seem intent on playing defence for the lefty woke stuff. Not sure why (well, obviously it's for ideological reasons, but you never seem to make any effort to strain from the shackles of it--which is difficult for anyone, I'm not claiming that I'm perfect and never succumb to easy rationalizations based on my political orientation).

Quote:
Somehow this is simultaneously beneath the Star as one of Canada's premiere newspapers (civility!)...
One poster said this.

Quote:
...but also we don't like the Star anymore because it's just Too Woke.
A different poster said this (me).

Quote:
...Oh! But now it's really about defending the plight of war-torn Syrians...
And a third poster said this (well, not exactly, you've embellished, but for the sake of argument).

Quote:
Talk about inventing a guy in your head and proceeding to get Very Angry at said guy.
Ahem. Petard locked and loaded. And...hoisted.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
I am not a coffee drinker but many people in my entourage are, and apparently McDonald's is even cheaper and has been for a while.
But I’m told that it tastes like coffee.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:46 AM
recession proof

Last weekend I went to Niagara Falls for the first time in decades and noticed many of the South Asians were drinking Tim Hortons during their picnics in the nearby park. (The South Asians I worked with mostly shunned TH, preferring chai and their own version of donuts - Gulab Jamun.) Maybe Tim Hortons should aggressively expand into the Indian market?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:47 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post

It's cheap and they're in a car and it has a drive through. That's the addiction. They're annoyed at you buying a large quantity of food because it's slowing them down on their way to work, all they want is a coffee. It's too hard to make coffee at home. Didn't you know food always tastes better when it's bought from a restaurant? They just need coffee. Or the only thing I ever buy from there: a medium mocha iced cap with no whipped topping and a bran muffin. The bran muffin is literally worse than the ones you get at Superstore by that Market Fresh or whatever brand (and they're pretty bad) and the iced cap is only about 60% consumable, once you've consumed the iced cap part (which is just flavoured sugar added to water—but they'll add chocolate milk if you want!) all that's left is a really bad ice crumble. 20 minutes later you're hungry again and wondering why you wasted $7.48 on that crap and the answer is "it was on the way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Crowder apparently View Post
Are you really sure you want to open that door in this thread?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...sentation.html

https://twitter.com/OurHomeErebor/st...835136/photo/1

Actually, maybe it is on-topic after all, as one of MolsonEx's most famous scato-puns is calling Tim Hortons "Rim Whoretons"!
Read the article, and:

Quote:
In the back of the book are sections on health and nutrition for trans and nonbinary folks going through hormone therapy, tips on saving money on groceries, as well as glossaries of cooking and sexual-health promotion terms.

Community cookbooks have always been around, but the pandemic brought more attention to them as people stayed home and longed for a connection with others going through the same thing.
So yeah, that twitter post is on-point. It does include a large amount of

Quote:
info on hormones and cleaning out your intimate parts before sex. In a cook book. Also coloring pages. You tell me if this is satire.
It's not satire. Where else to Trans and non-binary people get this information? And since lots are kicked out of their homes, they need to eat. It makes sense to me. Why doesn't this make sense to you, Acajack? Please use your characteristic hyper honesty and bluntness in the response. This isn't even the first time a cookbook has been used for this kind of thing. Alzheimer's society cookbooks are the same, with advice on caring for people with Alzheimer's. Lots of celebrity cook books have self-help crap and short stories about their lives in them. You tell me if this is satire.

What is it with straight people and complaining about how things that aren't for them aren't for them?

"Why don't they teach these things in school??" Well fuck, why DON'T they teach about "info on hormones and cleaning out your intimate parts before sex" for trans people in school?? Seems like an oversight to me!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 7:19 AM

Everyone who's ever read a recipe knows that 95% of reading a recipe is skipping through 8000 words of someone's tedious life story to get to the ingredients. As far as I know they all contain douching instructions. But that's none of my business; I just want to cook.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada