HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 2:32 PM

Verona pizza is opening up a location in Bow Valley Square. IMHO, Verona has some of the best thick crust pizza in Calgary. I'm not sure if this is a second location or if they'r moving their Lancaster location to the Bow Valley.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 4:56 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Wrong thread

Last edited by Innersoul1; Jan 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:37 PM
not a NIMBY

Target is coming to Canada. Some Zellers stores are being changed to Target.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:34 PM

Here's the news article for Zellers and Target

Target buys Zellers leases for $1.8B
Last Updated: Thursday, January 13, 2011 | 9:59 AM MT
CBC News
The retail chain Target, which has 1,752 stores across the U.S., including this one in Wisconsin, is aqcuiring the leasehold interests of 220 Zellers locations in Canada.The retail chain Target, which has 1,752 stores across the U.S., including this one in Wisconsin, is aqcuiring the leasehold interests of 220 Zellers locations in Canada. (Allen Fredrickson/Reuters)

U.S. retailer Target said Thursday it is buying the store leases of Canadian discount retail chain Zellers from the U.S. investor who owns the Hudson's Bay Co. assets for $1.8 billion.

Under terms of the deal, Minneapolis-based Target will make two payments of $912.5 million in cash, in May and September 2011, to acquire the leasehold interests of 220 Zellers locations in Canada.

The Zellers locations will continue to exist under that brand name for "a period of time," HBC said in a release. But Target will convert 100 to 150 of those Zellers locations to Target stores in 2013 and 2014 and sell the rest of the current Zellers network of store leases to other retailers.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...#ixzz1AwCwHWD4

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:42 PM
not a NIMBY

I bet Zellers in Chinook gets a Target makeover ASAP.
Deer Valley, probably not!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I can't wait. Zellers is almost a national embarrassment. I realize it's a discount store, but it's one of the dirtiest, unorganized messes I've ever seen in a mainstream retail establishment. When Giant Tiger makes you look bad, you really need to get your act together.

Plus, Tarjhay has all sorts of awesome "exclusive" stuff for the nerd toy collectors out there. Sadly, it'll still be 30% more expensive on this side of the border, but the convenience will be worth it.

It's sad that Canadian retail has such a hard time performing. Eaton's, Zellers, The Bay - they never held a candle to their US counterparts (at least in my lifetime). Next up - Macy's! Well, a man can dream.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:23 PM

Have to disagree with you Jimby, I would be very surprised if Target goes into Chinook and Market Mall. Malls are too upscale and expensive real estate for Target, which is Bix Box discount retailer in the USA.

Target is only looking to set up shop in 150 location out of Zellers 220 location inventory. The other 70 locations will remain Zellers for the time being and will eventually be sold off other retailers.

Look for Target to market the mall locations to other USA companies like JC Penny and Macy's; Sears Canada might pick up a few. Alternately Target will let the locations lapse.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Look for Target to market the mall locations to other USA companies like JC Penny and Macy's; Sears Canada might pick up a few. Alternately Target will let the locations lapse.
I read that today as well, we'll most likely see our mall locations end up JC Penny, Marshalls or something like that. I'd like to see a Best Buy go in there so I can use my Christmas Cadilac/Fairview gift cards there!

I was noticing how out of place Zellers was looking at Chinook just a few steps away from shops like Burberry and Marciano last time I was there... close that dive immediately!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hare Expert

Zellers is know amongst the under-16 crowd as the place to be if you want to screw around and do whatever you want. Exciting games such as "Jump Over Stuff" and "Roll Your Friends Around in Luggage" can be played with minimal interference from the minimum wage security. (Or lack thereof)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 12:39 AM

Wal-Mart survived in malls in Canada, breaking the big box model, I'll bet Target holds onto them (whether they keep both floors at Chinook I can't be sure)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
Wal-Mart survived in malls in Canada, breaking the big box model, I'll bet Target holds onto them (whether they keep both floors at Chinook I can't be sure)

Walmart has been getting out of malls in Canada since the day they bought Wolco.

In Alberta, only Northland and Westbrook have mall locations. Deerfoot Mall location is more indicative of Walmart way whereby they build standalone store close to the original location. I submit the only reason Walmart is still at Westbrook and Northland is because there is no viable alternative close by.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Walmart has been getting out of malls in Canada since the day they bought Wolco.

In Alberta, only Northland and Westbrook have mall locations. Deerfoot Mall location is more indicative of Walmart way whereby they build standalone store close to the original location. I submit the only reason Walmart is still at Westbrook and Northland is because there is no viable alternative close by.
Yeah, and with the renovation of the one at Westbrook a few years ago, Wal-Mart closed the entrance to the main hall of the rest of the mall and made it about as separate as they could while still being technically attached to the mall.

Regarding Zellers though, inquiring minds want to know: what will become of the Zellers restaurants?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:25 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Yeah, and with the renovation of the one at Westbrook a few years ago, Wal-Mart closed the entrance to the main hall of the rest of the mall and made it about as separate as they could while still being technically attached to the mall.

Regarding Zellers though, inquiring minds want to know: what will become of the Zellers restaurants?
Walmart is still in, and connected to Marlborough mall - however that mall has the same consumer group as Walmart. I'd expect Target to stay in Sunridge for similar reasons.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 5:36 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
Walmart is still in, and connected to Marlborough mall - however that mall has the same consumer group as Walmart. I'd expect Target to stay in Sunridge for similar reasons.
The indoor connection at Marlbourough Mall only goes to the front door. They closed of the mall entrance quite a few years ago.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 6:48 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:

Wal-Mart has been waiting for the GM dealers at Northland to drop dead for years.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Wal-Mart has been waiting for the GM dealers at Northland to drop dead for years.
And seeing as how Shaganappi Chev just sunk a reported $10M into a new showroom on the site, they'll be waiting a while longer I'd say. Though maybe the Kia dealership that replaced Northland Pontiac may go, not sure if their site alone is big enough to fit a supercenter plus its parking.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post

Glad to read that I'm not the only one concerned about the fate of the Skillet.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 4:20 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Hmmm I guess that I will be able to get my William Rast collection from Tarjhay! BOOYA!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:47 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
And seeing as how Shaganappi Chev just sunk a reported $10M into a new showroom on the site, they'll be waiting a while longer I'd say. Though maybe the Kia dealership that replaced Northland Pontiac may go, not sure if their site alone is big enough to fit a supercenter plus its parking.
Their all the same dealer,

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:43 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
The indoor connection at Marlbourough Mall only goes to the front door. They closed of the mall entrance quite a few years ago.
Still connected to the Mall by an indoor connection though. I'd guess Walmart didn't want man tills/guard two entrances. Compare this to Canadian Tire across the street - many years back when Franklin Mall was dieing a slow death, they remodeled and walled off the Mall entrance - it was a long walk around the outside, with no indoor connection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy