HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I agree. In no small part due to provincial intransigence (notable exception of Quebec). I don't know what the solution is. But I don't think simply continuing what was already a failing strategy in 2015 was great either.

Also, I'd argue that the LPC strategy would have gone a lot better, if the government didn't just break everything with a tsunami of immigration.
The immigration explosion is certainly a big part of the problem, but so is the general lack of preparation. To work properly, $10 day care requires tens of thousands of new spots, which means large-scale training of early childhood educators, probably a large increase in salaries to get more people into the profession and the physical infrastructure at daycares. None of that was provided for, so we got $10/day daycare for the lucky few and waitlists for everyone else.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 11:18 AM

^ I don't disagree that they lacked execution competency. I just see the complaints about them being in provincial jurisdiction as a bit trite given how incompetent or wilfully blind the provinces have been to these problems for decades. Quebec is the only one here that did the right thing for young families.

We can't start getting worked up about issues like the falling birth rate and then just throw up our hands and say, "Provincial jurisdiction. Can't do shit about it."

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
^ I don't disagree that they lacked execution competency. I just see the complaints about them being in provincial jurisdiction as a bit trite given how incompetent or wilfully blind the provinces have been to these problems for decades. Quebec is the only one here that did the right thing for young families.

We can't start getting worked up about issues like the falling birth rate and then just throw up our hands and say, "Provincial jurisdiction. Can't do shit about it."
Provinces have voters. They get to decide the priorities that the province should have. Ontario was governed by the Liberals for 12 years and they didn't see fit to implement a more robust daycare program. The solution to the Feds dropping the ball on defence, for example, is not Ontario raising an army.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Provinces have voters. They get to decide the priorities that the province should have. Ontario was governed by the Liberals for 12 years and they didn't see fit to implement a more robust daycare program. The solution to the Feds dropping the ball on defence, for example, is not Ontario raising an army.
At some point, collective provincial failures become national concerns. And this is established Canadian tradition. We didn't let provinces do whatever they want on healthcare, for example.

Also, there's no compulsion here beyond the purse. Provinces are absolutely free to opt out of national social programs. They just don't like the look, so they complain.

By the way, the next guy plans to bully the provinces to get them to bully the municipalities into loosening up zoning for more housing. Is that wrong too? By your logic it is. But I would argue that is a good response to a collective failure by municipalities in this country to allow housing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

After decrying Tories for using Russian stock video clips, NDP does the same
NDP admit mistake, say they will 'take better care in the future'
Mickey Djuric · The Canadian Press · Posted: Sep 06, 2024 8:54 AM ADT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sto...-ndp-1.7315219

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:19 PM

NDP used stock image from Russia in video, weeks after decrying Conservatives for doing the same

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...fter-decrying/

Surely we'll have the same level of outrage over this, right?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I don't know who they picked. However it is a start.

Here in BC the free school lunch programs (that have been around for years) targets inner city schools in predominately lower income neighborhoods. If they expand the program that is a positive.
All they ever do is announce "a start".

They've put 10 drops into 10 buckets, and walked away saying "the buckets will fill themselves now".

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:30 PM

Well, my personal level of outrage over it is a solid "Meh". Generic stock pictures and videos don't really influence me all that much, though I guess for optics it would be good if they could at least be verified Canadian or at least North American.

But until that story was linked, I didn't even know the Conservatives had had an 'issue' with their stock media sources, let alone the NDP having an issue as well.

Now, that doesn't detract from the fact that the Conservatives were leaning on/using/promoting online Influencers with strong Russian Ties

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
NDP used stock image from Russia in video, weeks after decrying Conservatives for doing the same

lol. Clearly Jagmeet wants us all living under Putins iron fist. That must be his vision for Canada.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Well, my personal level of outrage over it is a solid "Meh". Generic stock pictures and videos don't really influence me all that much, though I guess for optics it would be good if they could at least be verified Canadian or at least North American.

But until that story was linked, I didn't even know the Conservatives had had an 'issue' with their stock media sources, let alone the NDP having an issue as well.

Now, that doesn't detract from the fact that the Conservatives were leaning on/using/promoting online Influencers with strong Russian Ties
Is that worse than Chinese communist party members “donating” to your personal family’s foundation?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Is that worse than Chinese communist party members “donating” to your personal family’s foundation?
no comment on all your conservative movement / mouthpieces buddies (hey Freedom convoy) and surely links to PP being russian bought and paid for agents - silence on that one?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Using 'stock footage' without verifying its source is just pathetic. If you use shit, be prepared to have it thrown back at you. No matter which party is doing it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
While not good and something that should be addressed/called out. I would say Russian backed Influencers are worse, because their overall impact is much larger. They're reaching a bigger portion of the population to try and influencing (hence the term) how some topics are seen, which has as much, if not more impact than tossing some bucks at a single person (even if that person is the PM).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
no comment on all your conservative movement / mouthpieces buddies (hey Freedom convoy) and surely links to PP being russian bought and paid for agents - silence on that one?
Sources please.

Pierre has said he will always stand with Ukraine. Doesn’t sound like a Russian mouthpiece to me.

Unlike Trudeau who knew china and India were interfering and did…. Nothing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
I'm actually quite optimistic. I think we are just about at the low point now (there will probably be a spike in layoffs first), and the recovery is going to start next year.

When people are no longer broke then they tend to get along better. We're not that far away from turning the corner. But we need to finish going through this period of deleveraging first.
So you're calling a 4th JT term in Fall 2025 when everybody is feeling better?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Using 'stock footage' without verifying its source is just pathetic. If you use shit, be prepared to have it thrown back at you. No matter which party is doing it.
While true, it's a little bit nuanced as the NDP used one image of a generic couple sitting with a laptop whereas the CPC used Mig jets flying overhead while spouting off a bunch of nationalist mumbo jumbo.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Sources please.

Pierre has said he will always stand with Ukraine. Doesn’t sound like a Russian mouthpiece to me.

Unlike Trudeau who knew china and India were interfering and did…. Nothing.
Russian bots praising the CPC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...teur-1.7296988

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

Neither bothers me, TBH.

I think we can say we're fortunate enough to live in a country where this is the foremost ethical scandal of our opposition leaders.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 4:35 PM

Some stark figures on the runaway federal bureaucracy...

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...t-your-expense

Quote:
There are now 39,089 federal employees at Employment and Social Development Canada, up 80 per cent from 2015. Meanwhile, total employment in Canada across all industries is up only 15 per cent. Why do we need 80 per cent more bureaucrats to regulate and centrally plan employment in Canada when total employment is only up 15 per cent?
Quote:
Another example: Fisheries and Oceans Canada now employs 14,716 people, up 49 per cent since 2015, and Natural Resources Canada now employs 5,751 people, up 39 per cent since 2015. Meanwhile the number of Canadians employed in natural resources (more specifically, forestry, fishing, mining, quarrying, and oil and gas) is actually down one per cent since 2015.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 4:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Are there 14,000 professional fishermen in the country???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada