HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Forgot to mention

Great spot! Removing another empty building right next to all the apartments now at 3rd and Roosevelt this place will be popular
I think they're renovating the existing building at 2nd Street and Roosevelt (the one that used to house some sort of emergency mental health facility) rather than demolishing and building something new. At least that's what it looks like in the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think they're renovating the existing building at 2nd Street and Roosevelt (the one that used to house some sort of emergency mental health facility) rather than demolishing and building something new. At least that's what it looks like in the rendering.
They're renovating this building w/ the cool mural...the wholesale florist that is currently there or has left. the mental facility is further south on Garfield.

https://goo.gl/maps/DJ2vEzGAudp

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Definitely! I guess we can expect Revolver Records right next door to be next or at least the land.
And I wish the power station on the same lot would be replaced as well.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:59 PM

Spring 2019, eh? Must be one hell of a remodel if it's going to take that long...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Spring 2019, eh? Must be one hell of a remodel if it's going to take that long...
Not really, only about a year. I know that's horrifying we live in the future.

WHERE HAS MY LIFE GONE

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
They're renovating this building w/ the cool mural...the wholesale florist that is currently there or has left. the mental facility is further south on Garfield.

https://goo.gl/maps/DJ2vEzGAudp
Thanks for clarifying. I never knew what that building was previously used for. I think I might have incorrectly assumed it was part of the mental health facility.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:24 PM
Modulator

Someone mentioned dirt being moved next to the building next to the former Milk Bar. I walked by last night and something is definitely going on there. The dirt has been leveled with 2 bulldozers onsite in the lot and several new "Private property" signs have been posted. Anyone able to dig up what's happening here?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:38 PM

There are no permits issued for any of the three addresses on that large piece of dirt. If there was anything of note happening, there'd be a building permit.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Someone mentioned dirt being moved next to the building next to the former Milk Bar. I walked by last night and something is definitely going on there. The dirt has been leveled with 2 bulldozers onsite in the lot and several new "Private property" signs have been posted. Anyone able to dig up what's happening here?
Yes that's what I noticed earlier this week, as biggus said before non permits, maybe whoever owns it is tidying it up for sale or soliciting developers?

Or they rented the lot to some contractors wanting to park their bulldozers

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:40 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yes that's what I noticed earlier this week, as biggus said before non permits, maybe whoever owns it is tidying it up for sale or soliciting developers?

Or they rented the lot to some contractors wanting to park their bulldozers
Well...shouldn't permits have been issued to even put bulldozers onsite and to move dirt?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:47 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Well...shouldn't permits have been issued to even put bulldozers onsite and to move dirt?
Not that I can find.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu..._pdf_00281.pdf

Leveling some dirt in a small lot apparently doesn't qualify for a grading permit.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Not that I can find.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu..._pdf_00281.pdf

Leveling some dirt in a small lot apparently doesn't qualify for a grading permit.
Or they are just doing it anyway haha!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:16 PM
Skyriser

Google has updated Streetview today for Downtown.

Proxy 333 and the Muse look great, I'm surprised at how good the 3rd St/Roosevelt project is.

Broadstone Arts is like a block of Swiss cheese. I'd never feel safe with my window hanging off McDowell like that.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Only if they are there for construction of something...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 8:24 PM

More cranes in the sky, they put one up at Portrait over the weekend.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Dec 18, 2017 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:43 PM
self-important urbanista

Los Olivos

Posted yesterday on the Los Olivos Facebook page:

Dearest friends, customers and loved ones,
It is with a heavy but happy heart that I tell you that Los Olivos Hand Car Wash will be closing it's doors for good on 12/30/17. This was a very hard decision for me because Los Olivos has been my baby, my home, for almost 30 years; but as they say, "ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END!"
I want to say a special thank you to Steve Harry, the previous owner, and his girls, for giving me the opportunity to purchase the car wash and the land back in 2001. I would also like to thank all who have supported me over the years, but especially those who stuck with me and pulled me through the difficult time during the economic crash in 2008 because I could not have made it this far without you. I want you to know how truly grateful I am to you all! We will be celebrating Los Olivos and its' customers on our last day ofbusiness, Saturday December 30, 2017 from 10am-2pm. Please come join us for our customer appreciation, to show your support, eat some food and have some fun!!

No commentary on what will happen to the site.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:39 PM

In light of Los Olivos news, downtown is losing another auto-orientated property, the Auto Shop at 901 N Central, just south of Desoto Market. Apparently, any automotive industry related business between the Sevens, unless Grandfathered in as a property owner, is being zoned out of the area. Talked to the owner today, he plans on having his new shop setup at 1705 E Jefferson by Feb 1st, 2018.

I asked what would happen to the current building, which is doesn't know but mentioned that it's owned by U-Haul. Would be nice to see a collaboration with Desoto to the north to possibly fill the parking lot between maybe like a Culinary Dropout/Yard setup and the Auto Shop building could become an extension of the marketplace with more focus on retail startups and a speakeasy beneath the shop floor ala Undertow in Arcadia.

Last edited by Phxguy; Dec 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
In light of Los Olivos news, downtown is losing another auto-orientated property, the Auto Shop at 901 N Central, just south of Desoto Market. Apparently, any automotive industry related business between the Sevens, unless Grandfathered in as a property owner, is being zoned out of the area. Talked to the owner today, he plans on having his new shop setup at 1705 E Jefferson by Feb 1st, 2018.

I asked what would happen to the current building, which is doesn't know but mentioned that it's owned by U-Haul. Would be nice to see a collaboration with Desoto to the north to possibly fill the parking lot between maybe like a Culinary Dropout/Yard setup and the Auto Shop building could become an extension of the marketplace with more focus on retail startups and a speakeasy beneath the shop floor ala Undertow in Arcadia.
This would be awesome. I always envisioned this happening to the Sun Devil Auto shop at 2nd Ave/Van Buren but I think this building w/ DeSoto is a better fit. Nonetheless, this sounds promising and wonder if SDA is next.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 9:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

I would love to see this, but I think the DeSoto Market would have to be at full occupancy before expanding. Right now, it seems to have the same number of tenants as it did when it opened in April 2015. Some spaces that were supposed to be filled in soon after are still unused.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I would love to see this, but I think the DeSoto Market would have to be at full occupancy before expanding. Right now, it seems to have the same number of tenants as it did when it opened in April 2015. Some spaces that were supposed to be filled in soon after are still unused.
I suppose the occupancy level can be attributed to some tenants leaving and opening up their first brick and mortar locations, so it's not entirely bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest