HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 6:21 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Though they may have social merit, these places definitely have a negative impact that spreads out to neighbouring streets. I'm in the vicinity of Harvest House and I see the same effect. Dominion, Dufferin, Park and High are sad. Frustrating to try to maintain or improve your property, knowing it's a waste of money. I'm holding off on security cameras because I don't want to make it feel even more like a ghetto. Having the Harvest House and other similar institutions moved away from the city centre would have a positive impact to the St George area a million times greater than those gigantic out-of-place lime-green planters.
sorry, these are human beings you are talking about that are down on their luck. I would love to see more locations though such as harvest house spread out to other areas of the city and not focus on one area. Maybe up in the evergreen area, dieppe, riverview would be nice to see. So many people need these places to live sadly. I am sorry, but multiple locations is what is needed so not to gather around one place.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
sorry, these are human beings you are talking about that are down on their luck.
Yes, I get that, and I'm empathetic to those who are facing tough circumstances, hence why I said there's social merit to these institutions. I can't say I empathize with everyone who relies on handouts, though, because I see it myself: some have real needs or are willing to help themselves get out of a rut, while others are perpetual freeloaders and parasites, and I won't go further than that.

My point is that if we want to clean up the "extended" downtown (roughly a couple of streets south and north of St George), then these places need to be addressed somehow. Give your head a shake if you think they don't negatively impact the reputation and reality of the neighbourhoods they're in. Move a couple of these places to Hildegarde and see what that neighbourhood looks like in a generation from now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:27 AM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Yes, I get that, and I'm empathetic to those who are facing tough circumstances, hence why I said there's social merit to these institutions. I can't say I empathize with everyone who relies on handouts, though, because I see it myself: some have real needs or are willing to help themselves get out of a rut, while others are perpetual freeloaders and parasites, and I won't go further than that.

My point is that if we want to clean up the "extended" downtown (roughly a couple of streets south and north of St George), then these places need to be addressed somehow. Give your head a shake if you think they don't negatively impact the reputation and reality of the neighbourhoods they're in. Move a couple of these places to Hildegarde and see what that neighbourhood looks like in a generation from now.
Listen, I am not saying that places like this bring in wealthy millionaires but look at the reviews on their Facebook page and tell me that their services aren't worth it to a community. Its not like churches house people anymore. I would much rather see people come to a few of these places in Greater Moncton than only having one and they all gather in that area. It is the same reason why I am against NB Housing projects all being placed in one area. I guess the one thing we can agree on is there is no easy answers but piling everyone into one location isn't the right answer in my opinion. https://www.facebook.com/TheHarvestH...antic/reviews/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:13 AM
Our Tide is Rising

MAIN / CHAMPLAIN UPDATE

source: me

Honestly feels like the entire length of this road is being worked on right now...especially to someone like me who works on one side (airport) and lives on the other side (west main)

All for a good cause of course but a pain none the less...

//rant

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's an interesting document from 3+ corporation, extolling the virtues of greater Moncton.
http://3plus.ca/documents/Greater_Mo...d37101d4c6.pdf

The document is fairly new, and uses stats from 2014. Lots of interesting information here.

A few interesting takeaways that I noticed:

- they project the greater Moncton CMA population will be 156,000 by 2018.
- the median age of the population in greater Moncton is 40.1 years, which is less than the national average (Canada - 40.6 years, NB - 43.7 years).
- Lots of higher paying jobs in Moncton (health care - 11,100, education - 4,400, professional services - 4,600, finance & insurance - 4,400)
- the 4,400 jobs in the finance & insurance sector gives Moncton the fourth highest concentration of finance and insurance employment among all urban centres across Canada.
- there are 13,500 post secondary students enrolled in various university, college and technical programs in greater Moncton, including 7,500 university students at UdeM, MTA & Crandall.

Quote:
There are over 300 firms active in the transportation, logistics and warehousing sector in Greater Moncton. In total, these firms employ more than 5,100 people. Adjusted for population size, there are more people working in the transportation, logistics and warehousing sector in Greater Moncton than any other CMA across Canada.
There's lots more information in this document - it makes for a good read.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's an interesting document from 3+ corporation, extolling the virtues of greater Moncton.
http://3plus.ca/documents/Greater_Mo...d37101d4c6.pdf

The document is fairly new, and uses stats from 2014. Lots of interesting information here.

A few interesting takeaways that I noticed:

- they project the greater Moncton CMA population will be 156,000 by 2018.
- the median age of the population in greater Moncton is 40.1 years, which is less than the national average (Canada - 40.6 years, NB - 43.7 years).
- Lots of higher paying jobs in Moncton (health care - 11,100, education - 4,400, professional services - 4,600, finance & insurance - 4,400)
- the 4,400 jobs in the finance & insurance sector gives Moncton the fourth highest concentration of finance and insurance employment among all urban centres across Canada.
- there are 13,500 post secondary students enrolled in various university, college and technical programs in greater Moncton, including 7,500 university students at UdeM, MTA & Crandall.

There's lots more information in this document - it makes for a good read.
I could see that 156000 Residents by 2018 unless we have a massive influx of residents for any reason.

I will say one stat I find interesting is that 50% of the population is english only, and there are 50% who speak french. I know it's not the entire province but it's still nice to know next time I speak french to someone I know I can tell some english ass* that there actually half the population, and not 3/4's. As these type of people like to claim.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:23 AM

Any word on BMM Testlabs? The announcement was about 1 year ago. I would have expected to see some jobs in the city at the point as the first 200 were supposed to be hired this year (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't heard a thing.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I will say one stat I find interesting is that 50% of the population is english only, and there are 50% who speak french. I know it's not the entire province but it's still nice to know next time I speak french to someone I know I can tell some english ass* that there actually half the population, and not 3/4's. As these type of people like to claim.
One always has to view statistics with a jaundiced eye, as stats are frequently used to justify a persons preconceptions (depending on how they are manipulated).

You seem to be assuming that since 47% of the population speaks French, that means that 47% of the population must be francophone Acadian.

This is what the statistics in this document actually say:

Of the 150,000 people in the Moncton CMA:
- 50% speak English only
- 47% are bilingual English/French
- 3% are francophone only.

A different point of view would be that 97% of greater Moncton's population is able to understand the English language, and that only 3% cannot.

It is also fallacious to argue that all bilingual people must be Acadian. Thanks to French immersion programs, a sizable number of the younger Anglophone population can understand French to some degree, with probably 10-20% being functionally bilingual. In all likelihood, the population breakdown in greater Moncton is probably 60% native Anglophone and 40% native francophone.

You can break down the linguistic split on a community, metropolitan or regional basis.

On a community basis:
- Moncton (pop 70,000) is probably 2/3rds anglophone (47,000) and 1/3rd francophone (23,000)
- Dieppe (pop 25,000) is supposedly 80% francophone (20,000) and 20% Anglophone (5,000)
- Riverview (pop 20,000) is 95% anglophone (19,000) and 5% francophone (1,000)

Thus the tri-community area (the urban area, pop 115,000) has an anglophone population of 71,000 (61.8%) and a francophone population of 44,000 (38.2%)

The Moncton CMA includes large swatches of adjacent exurban territory (including Memramcook, Salisbury, Petitcodiac and Hillsborough but curiously not Shediac or Sackville)

The CMA population is 150,000 (about 35,000 greater than the urban population). The exurban watershed is probably slightly more francophone than anglophone and probably pushes the ratio more down to the range of 60/40 in favour of the anglophone population.

Finally, you can look at the greater Moncton economic region (all of Westmorland, Albert and Kent counties), which combined have a population of about 230,000. Since there is a larger population in Kent County than in Albert County, you're probably getting down closer to a 50/50 population split in the whole economic region.

So - are you talking about the:
- City of Moncton (pop - 70,000, 67% anglophone)
- the tricommunity area (pop - 115,000, 62% anglophone)
- the official CMA (pop - 150,000, 60% anglophone)
- the economic region (pop - 230,000, 50-55% anglophone)

And BTW, not all unilingual anglophones are "ass*"......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Sep 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
One always has to view statistics with a jaundiced eye, as stats are frequently used to justify a persons preconceptions (depending on how they are manipulated).

You seem to be assuming that since 47% of the population speaks French, that means that 47% of the population must be francophone Acadian.

This is what the statistics in this document actually say:

Of the 150,000 people in the Moncton CMA:
- 50% speak English only
- 47% are bilingual English/French
- 3% are francophone only.

A different point of view would be that 97% of greater Moncton's population is able to understand the English language, and that only 3% cannot.

It is also fallacious to argue that all bilingual people must be Acadian. Thanks to French immersion programs, a sizable number of the younger Anglophone population can understand French to some degree, with probably 10-20% being functionally bilingual. In all likelihood, the population breakdown in greater Moncton is probably 60% native Anglophone and 40% native francophone.

You can break down the linguistic split on a community, metropolitan or regional basis.

On a community basis:
- Moncton (pop 70,000) is probably 2/3rds anglophone (47,000) and 1/3rd francophone (23,000)
- Dieppe (pop 25,000) is supposedly 80% francophone (20,000) and 20% Anglophone (5,000)
- Riverview (pop 20,000) is 95% anglophone (19,000) and 5% francophone (1,000)

Thus the tri-community area (the urban area, pop 115,000) has an anglophone population of 71,000 (61.8%) and a francophone population of 44,000 (38.2%)

The Moncton CMA includes large swatches of adjacent exurban territory (including Memramcook, Salisbury, Petitcodiac and Hillsborough but curiously not Shediac or Sackville)

The CMA population is 150,000 (about 35,000 greater than the urban population). The exurban watershed is probably slightly more francophone than anglophone and probably pushes the ratio more down to the range of 60/40 in favour of the anglophone population.

Finally, you can look at the greater Moncton economic region (all of Westmorland, Albert and Kent counties), which combined have a population of about 230,000. Since there is a larger population in Kent County than in Albert County, you're probably getting down closer to a 50/50 population split in the whole economic region.

So - are you talking about the:
- City of Moncton (67% anglophone)
- the tricommunity area (62% anglophone)
- the official CMA (60% anglophone)
- the economic region (50-55% anglophone)

And BTW, not all unilingual anglophones are "ass*"......
I din't say that all Unilingual anglophones are ass* I do have friends who are Unilingual anglophones, and they are also quick to call out the ass* as well. I'm saying next time the subject comes up I can bring this info up. The Anglophones who tend to have an issue with Francophone's in general tend to count Bilingual people as English in there arguments. Also seem to like to bring up history but only the parts they don't think can bite em in the ass.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Any word on BMM Testlabs? The announcement was about 1 year ago. I would have expected to see some jobs in the city at the point as the first 200 were supposed to be hired this year (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't heard a thing.
Yes, I know what you mean.

Politicians are great for showing up to ceremonies where they can make announcements for 1,000 new jobs (like with BMM), but the reality is that frequently it takes years for the jobs to materialize (or sometimes the project gets quietly canned and the jobs never happen).

At the very least, there should have been some announcement as to where they are going to lease space (or build their "campus" as they had hinted). So far though, all we hear is the quiet sound of crickets.

If there is no further word on BMM by next summer, we should get concerned......

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:15 PM

Was reading through the fall issue for the GMCC mag today. Here are some points of interest:

- In Moncton, building permits through end of June totalled $164M up from $47M last year

- Total permits during this time was 604, the highest in 10 years and up from 451 last year

- Dieppe permits totalled $26m and Riverview $8M during this time

- Stated that Five-Five on Queen St is set to begin construction in September

- Stated that phases 2 and 3 of the Downing St project are contingent on land acquisition by the city so I would imagine there are no immediate plans for those projects

- The owner of Thai Zone in Dieppe and soon to be Moncton has plans to expand to 10 locations around the Maritimes. He is aiming to open two to three next year

- There was also a rather lengthy piece on the downtown center with some interesting study statistics, but most of it was the same stuff that has already been discussed here.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I could see that 156000 Residents by 2018 unless we have a massive influx of residents for any reason.

When people say that the majority of people speak English, they don't mean just as a first language. The majority of people in NB can speak English as a first OR second language. So next time some I speak English to some French ass* I'll make it clear they're still a minority and although I am all for fair treatment of different peoples, I'm not for giving them a sense of entitlement.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 8:08 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Can we agree that every group has it's own share of assholes and just move on? It's so hard to tell tone from text messages and way too easy for some topics to go completely off the rails. Please just try to keep things respectful.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post

- In Moncton, building permits through end of June totalled $164M up from $47M last year

- Riverview $8M during this time

Moncton Riverview

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Riverview = <crickets><crickets><crickets>

There really needs to be a cricket emoticon - mods???

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean.

Politicians are great for showing up to ceremonies where they can make announcements for 1,000 new jobs (like with BMM), but the reality is that frequently it takes years for the jobs to materialize (or sometimes the project gets quietly canned and the jobs never happen).

At the very least, there should have been some announcement as to where they are going to lease space (or build their "campus" as they had hinted). So far though, all we hear is the quiet sound of crickets.

If there is no further word on BMM by next summer, we should get concerned......
Radio-Canada did an investigation last week and found out that only 56 new hirings happened in the Year 1 (putting the total to 86). BMM is blaming it on "recruiting and training" tougher than expected (didn't the CCNB course was specifically made for those jobs?).

The government response was "Be Patient, it's moving forward".

Or it could be, like you mentioned, that certain projects got cut off. I myself work in the QA sector, and encounter my share of "contract" project.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 10:59 PM

Hey guys,

A bit of an off-topic post, I hope you'll forgive me. Myself and a few colleagues will be in Moncton the first week in October on business. It's all of our first times in Moncton. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars/cool Moncton things to check out? Bonus points for microbrewery suggestions

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Bonus points for microbrewery suggestions
Pumphouse
Tide & Boar

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

A bit of an off-topic post, I hope you'll forgive me. Myself and a few colleagues will be in Moncton the first week in October on business. It's all of our first times in Moncton. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars/cool Moncton things to check out? Bonus points for microbrewery suggestions
Pumphouse for micro brewery. And while downtown, got to Tide & Bore Gastropub, Old Triangle Irish Ale House, St-James Gate, Third Glass Wine & Martini Bar, Blue Olive Restaurant, The Keg, Osaka Hibachi, and much more just within 5 blocks downtown Main street.

Award winning Magnetic Hill Zoo, Casino NB next to Magnetic Hill, Magnetic Hill Winery and might as well ride the actual Magnetic Hill while there.

Moncton riverfront. Check the Tidal Bore schedule online. Walk the riverfront and view the Codiac RCMP Memorial.

Moncton Museum is a few blocks away from Main street. New Moncton Events Centre under construction on Main st. Zombie Manor might be open by the time you get here.

If it's just a bunch of guys coming down, make sure to check out Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I find Tide and Boar has a great selection of beer, a great ambiance and often has good live acts on the weekend. I slightly prefer it over the Pumphouse but if you are looking for a more authentic microbrewry experience, then try the Pumphouse.

The Third Glass has an amazing selection of wines and has a fantastic upscale ambiance and cool crowd. No food there and limited selection of a few imported beers but there is no better place for wine and cocktails.

The best restaurant in town by far (IMO) is Little Louis but it is slightly out of the way on Collishaw street. If you want to stay within walking distance downtown, then Grotto on Westmorland has a great appetizer concept and drinks. Nice upscale ambiance and bar crowd too. The Keg is one of my favorites downtown but I think you guys have one in St John's so you might want to try something different.

All things considered, you probably can't go wrong with Tide and Boar. Make sure you get a table on the ground floor, the lower level is much less appealing.

Welcome and have fun!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces