HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Still getting a feel for the glass in different environments..

Views from the Discovery cam today...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 3:29 PM

Question Link please :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Still getting a feel for the glass in different environments..

Views from the Discovery cam today...

Could someone please provide a link for the "Discovery Cam?" I went to the site on Saturday night...I was so impressed with the pace!
Does anyone know the name of the building that is rising just Northeast of WTC 7 (where West Broadway and Greenwich Street fork)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 3:39 PM
JACKinBeantown

There ya go.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...-pictures.html

NYguy... are those images from a high res cam or did you blow them up in Photoshop?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:10 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
There ya go.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...-pictures.html

NYguy... are those images from a high res cam or did you blow them up in Photoshop?
THANK YOU!!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 7:52 PM

That's the new Fiterman Hall. It used to have a thread here somewhere, but maybe it's been abandoned. In any event, it doesn't have much to rise (it's only going to be 13 or 14 stories and they're doing the 11th and 12th floors right now).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 8:56 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
That's the new Fiterman Hall. It used to have a thread here somewhere, but maybe it's been abandoned. In any event, it doesn't have much to rise (it's only going to be 13 or 14 stories and they're doing the 11th and 12th floors right now).
yeah 14 floors, there you go: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=fiterman+hall

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:03 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Someone over at SSC had their thinking cap on. A poster named Swiddle had a thought as to why the 20th floor has every other window installed.

It is his theory that it is to facilitate the lifting devices for the future installation of the base cladding. It makes sense:

There are no actual floors near the outer structure of the base from which workers or machines could safely install the panels. So in the future (sometime in early 2012 according to some posters on here) when the base cladding is installed, they will stage from the 20th floor and raise the panels from lifts protruding from the spaces in the cladding on the 20th floor. Then workers suspended on staging platforms (also supported from the openings on the 20th floor) could work in tandem with climbers on the steel, to install each prismatic panel.

Just a theory.
Ehh...I don't think so. Nearest I can tell, the prismatic glass is bolted with its back plate, which is in turn bolted to the beams that are already installed. As such, the base pieces could easily be installed in combined glass and backing units.

It really doesn't make any sense to delay finishing a floor for a whole year for something that could easily be worked out beforehand.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:12 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Ehh...I don't think so. Nearest I can tell, the prismatic glass is bolted with its back plate, which is in turn bolted to the beams that are already installed. As such, the base pieces could easily be installed in combined glass and backing units.

It really doesn't make any sense to delay finishing a floor for a whole year for something that could easily be worked out beforehand.
But how do you lift the panels into place? Surely not with the tower cranes 85 floors above? I don't think a scissor lift can reach 185 feet either. A mobile truck-mounted crane on the ground would be hopelessly in they way all the time and ungainly to move around the base.

A simple lifting hoist that rolls around on dollies, on an unfinished 20th floor, with it's head poking out one of these openings, would work fine. They send the cable down to the ground, attach a panel and winch it up to the level where the installers are working. Seems to be an elegant solution to me.

The base is to be left open to the elements for another year, so why not the 20th floor?

I said it was just a theory.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:29 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
But how do you lift the panels into place? Surely not with the tower cranes 85 floors above? I don't think a scissor lift can reach 185 feet either. A mobile truck-mounted crane on the ground would be hopelessly in they way all the time and ungainly to move around the base.

A simple lifting hoist that rolls around on dollies, on an unfinished 20th floor, with it's head poking out one of these openings, would work fine. They send the cable down to the ground, attach a panel and winch it up to the level where the installers are working. Seems to be an elegant solution to me.

The base is to be left open to the elements for another year, so why not the 20th floor?

I said it was just a theory.
From some of the pictures posted above it can be seen that they are doing exactly that to suspend the scaffolding they are using now to install the brackets for the base cladding. At the pace they are working it will take them many months to finish (they have been working on it since the summer and have barely finished one side).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
BROOKLYN

They are really speeding it up with the floors.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 11:34 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

I made 3 trips down there amazingly in the week I was there alot of progress has been made , especially with the cladding. My pics will be out dated by the time I post them but they are good pics. Alot of zooms

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 11:46 PM

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:16 AM

Thumbs up Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Thx! So much going on! I need to step up my visits to the site to every 2 weeks instead of monthly!!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:17 AM

Thank you! Looks like a sweet upgrade!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:33 AM

Does anyone know what floor of 7WTC those pictures are from?.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 2:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post

They are just resized images. Here's one from tonight...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:52 AM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks. Nicely done.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:19 AM

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:39 AM

Looks like it's almost taller than the WFC now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive