HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Next too where? On the other side of the light rail facing University?
Who knows...PDF doesn't specifically state. My guess is where that 1-story building on the SEC of McAllister/University.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Who knows...PDF doesn't specifically state. My guess is where that 1-story building on the SEC of McAllister/University.
Yeah, that makes most sense. PDF does say that ISTB 9 will provide office space "adjacent to the Walton Center for Planetary Health," i.e. ISTB 7 that's there on the corner of University/Rural.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah, that makes most sense. PDF does say that ISTB 9 will provide office space "adjacent to the Walton Center for Planetary Health," i.e. ISTB 7 that's there on the corner of University/Rural.
Are there any renderings?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 11:31 PM

Pier up.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 11:31 PM

*crane up

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post

Pier up.
Drove by this just now and there’s a second crane for South Pier as well!!! Exciting times!!!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:02 PM

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Drove by this just now and there’s a second crane for South Pier as well!!! Exciting times!!!
Nice! I bet they will finish that new building before The Pier opens lol

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 7:14 PM

Novus building

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
If nothing else, these towers will look MASSIVE from the 202 which is cool. Most buildings in Phoenix area from freeway do not appear massive or impressive. These qualify

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 8:33 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
If nothing else, these towers will look MASSIVE from the 202 which is cool. Most buildings in Phoenix area from freeway do not appear massive or impressive. These qualify
Too bad out-of-state travelers just driving through on I-10 won't see them

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 8:45 PM
Skyriser

Bah. Who needs what Tempe is doing when Phoenix has this:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/zybf7D2ZCuduZwLd8

Jokes aside, it's kinda crazy what kind of impression driving through will do. Driving from Phoenix to LA it was difficult to conceive that 18 million people live there from the constant concrete.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 9:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Bah. Who needs what Tempe is doing when Phoenix has this:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/zybf7D2ZCuduZwLd8

Jokes aside, it's kinda crazy what kind of impression driving through will do. Driving from Phoenix to LA it was difficult to conceive that 18 million people live there from the constant concrete.
That view is so much better than it was just a few years ago. Driving West into the tunnel, I remember when you could barely see the top few floors of Chase.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 9:19 PM

Other building at Novus on other side of Scottsdale Rd.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 7:11 PM

Cousins Properties plans renovations of Tempe's Hayden Ferry Lakeside campus

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...novations.html

Quote:
An office campus on Tempe Town Lake will undergo a transformation over the next year.

Atlanta-based Cousins Properties, the owner of the three-building Hayden Ferry Lakeside campus, will start renovating Hayden Ferry Lakeside I and II — the two older buildings — starting at the end of the year and in early 2024.

Those renovations will primarily be in changes to the common areas in the lobbies and touchups to the landscaping — but activating the space by way of more restaurant choices is a priority for Cousins.

Taute said that construction is underway on a restaurant called Silo and that he's in lease negotiations with a "prominent" restaurateur who will bring a separate marquee eatery next to Hayden Ferry Lakeside III. Taute said Silo is set to open toward the end of the year or early 2024 while the marquee restaurant is expected to open in early 2025.

Discussions are also ongoing with breweries and other food and beverage operators to possibly locate on the ground floor of Buildings I and II.

"I think you're going to see a much different experience on that street level than you do today," Taute said. "A lot of this renovation is [to try and] activate the lake."

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:38 PM

The Guardian on Cul-de-sac

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-tempe-arizona

Quote:
A new housing development outside Phoenix is looking towards European cities for inspiration and shutting out the cars. So far residents love it

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 4:40 PM

I cannot get over the absolutely insane marketing job of this damn place.

Its literally not special but makes regular international news. Whoever does their PR is AMAZING

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I cannot get over the absolutely insane marketing job of this damn place.

Its literally not special but makes regular international news. Whoever does their PR is AMAZING
It's cute...

Something like that would look good where AZ Center is. Kind of like a little Mykonos with lots of multi-storied bars, clubs, and restaurants that doesn't look like a big fortress.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 5:10 PM
Skyriser

I give it five years and either Tempe buys it for formerly homeless or there's ten more like it popping up.

It's not that far from an average garden apartment but they just seemed to trade surface parking for more landscaping and anyone who pays attention knows how much trees die in heat and landlords stop taking care of the original plants. Modernism and its history of overbuilt plazas, greenspaces, and even "tower in the park" concepts have a really bad history with delivering on those shared spaces because if everyone owns them, nobody does.

Car free and all is great, but I'd rather have the hundred or so other complexes that are actually dense and oftentimes have a more coherent mix of uses, especially for the land they occupy.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 5:21 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
It's cute...

Something like that would look good where AZ Center is. Kind of like a little Mykonos with lots of multi-storied bars, clubs, and restaurants that doesn't look like a big fortress.
They tried that with the Mercado. Apparently that failed miserably because it ironically didn't have any parking onsite despite there being garages galore in the area, but I suppose what happened during a real estate bust 30+ years ago isn't directly applicable in 2023.

I'd like to see stuff like this by the Salt River or somewhere the urban/nature interface is more welcome and permeable rather than trying to manufacture these tiny little oases.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 10:33 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

It's not that far from an average garden apartment but they just seemed to trade surface parking for more landscaping and anyone who pays attention knows how much trees die in heat and landlords stop taking care of the original plants. Modernism and its history of overbuilt plazas, greenspaces, and even "tower in the park" concepts have a really bad history with delivering on those shared spaces because if everyone owns them, nobody does.

Car free and all is great, but I'd rather have the hundred or so other complexes that are actually dense and oftentimes have a more coherent mix of uses, especially for the land they occupy.
Yes, I visited for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was surprised at how low-rise and open it felt. There are many buildings along Apache that have a more dense and urban appearance even with their oversized parking structures. It also seemed weird that despite all the car-free hype, the on-site restaurant, Cocina Chiwas, has it entrance facing away from the street and towards the guest parking. Yes, I know most Chiwas customers will probably drive there, but not having a street entrance seems oddly anti-urban. At least the restaurant patio faces Apache.

On the other hand, maybe the idea is to promote “gentle density,” the idea that we can fit more people into an area without much height if we forego allocating so much space to parking. I hope this project succeeds, not because I think it’s perfect, but more because I don’t want any failure to be blamed on its car-free hype and thereby become an excuse to preserve mandatory parking minimums. In other words, I don’t want other developers to be forced to build excess parking if this project underperforms for reasons having nothing to do with its lack of resident parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest