HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This was an eye-opener for me. This editorial by Niigaan Sinclair in the Free Press today looks at crime/violence in grocery stores and suggests it's cause is...meat theft.

While I have sometimes needed to shop for cheaper cuts/types of meat before, the thought of stealing or buying stolen meat was so far out of my little world the suggestion in this article blew me away.

I think it opens up a valuable avenue for discussion on dealing with the rise in grocery store thefts.

One can experience the sales of illegal meats first hand, by patronizing some of the not-so-affluent hotel bars in Winnipeg's inner city. Spend an hour in the Garrick Hotel Bar once a week, and there is literally no chance you will not find people selling expensive prime cut steaks, and other goods. Back in the day, I would occasionally grab a draft here, and on at least half of occasions, someone would be selling stolen goods, from cologne, to high priced designer shirts, to meat.

I don't mean to single the Garrick out, as I am convinced this type of activity happens at the Main Street bars, and others as well.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 18, 2024 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
One can experience the sales of illegal meats first hand, by patronizing some of the not-so-affluent hotel bars in Winnipeg's inner city. Spend an hour in the Garrick Hotel Bar once a week, and there is literally no chance you will not find people selling expensive prime cut steaks, and other goods. Back in the day, I would occasionally grab a draft here, and on at least half of occasions, someone would be selling stolen goods, from cologne, to high priced designer shirts, to meat.

I don't mean to single the Garrick out, as I am convinced this type of activity happens at the Main Street bars, and others as well.
I experienced the exact same thing at the Ivanhoe bar on Vancouver's main street. Folks selling meat, cheese, even small appliances and electronics lol.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 6:45 PM

Build a Bear Has Open New Location In Polo Park Also Specsavers and Freedom Mobile Is Coming To Polo Park As Well

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:59 PM

We hit up the build-a-bear on the weekend for some birthday bears. I assume they moved from the new wing back into the main corridor for some type of leasing thing.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
We hit up the build-a-bear on the weekend for some birthday bears. I assume they moved from the new wing back into the main corridor for some type of leasing thing.
If I recall correctly, CF requires stores to update/renovate every once in a while (not sure how often). I'd assume it's more financially feasible to stay open and fit-up another location, and depending on how business is going, it gives them to opportunity to downsize or upsize.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
If I recall correctly, CF requires stores to update/renovate every once in a while (not sure how often). I'd assume it's more financially feasible to stay open and fit-up another location, and depending on how business is going, it gives them to opportunity to downsize or upsize.
If its a franchise type operation a lot for companies require the franchise operators to do a refresh to the newest store format around every 10 years or so. It does not matter if they are in a mall or a standalone store

I can see the mall owners having that in their leases too as that would have the local independent retailers upgrade their units like the big companies do.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:37 PM

Ohhhh baby! I hope these guys are making robellus squirm. I switched to Fizz and am currently paying a third of what I paid to Telus. Let's hope Freedom continues the trend. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...ireless-market

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:22 AM

Any rumors that a major Western Canada retailer (which currently has one location in Winnipeg) is moving to the 2nd floor of Polo Park (part of the former Zellers Store), and that is why so many of these stores in that area are relocating within the mall. So fare I notice that Build-a-Bear, Tommy Gunns, and Swarovski have been or are in the process of relocating. But there still needs a lot of work and space to be done for that store to move in.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:55 AM

I had heard that London Drugs was coming to Polo Park, either in the mall itself or somewhere nearby. Second floor seems like a strange spot for it though

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:33 PM

The story I heard about London Drugs in Polo Park suggested it would be moving into the "new wing" (aka former Zellers space) but not sure exactly how that would work out.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:52 PM

I don't think the Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist owner would be pleased a new pharmacy is moving in to CF Polo Park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
I don't think the Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist owner would be pleased a new pharmacy is moving in to CF Polo Park.
I welcome it. London Drugs is better than Shoppers in every possible way.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:59 PM

LD @ PP (or nearby) has been rumoured for 15+ years

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Wonder what has held LD from expanding their Winnipeg footprint? Regina has two stores; Saskatoon three. From a logistics perspective, it can't be that efficient to serve one single store that's 5+ hours drive time from the next closest store.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Wonder what has held LD from expanding their Winnipeg footprint? Regina has two stores; Saskatoon three. From a logistics perspective, it can't be that efficient to serve one single store that's 5+ hours drive time from the next closest store.
I also thought by now we would have 4 or 5.
We do have a ton of S D M all over, some are quite large.
I was recently imagining L D would join the eventual 2 new Costco stores... in West Winnipeg/Headingly and then North on Main & Perimeter.
I also wondered why they dragged their feet here but so has Simons.
We are a tough crowd here.
Winnipeg is not great for retail unless a *Dollar store, Bargain priced, clearance, or Liquidation, sorry. I was born here, I know.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Winnipeg is not great for retail unless a *Dollar store, Bargain priced, clearance, or Liquidation, sorry. I was born here, I know.
Sad but true. It's no secret that we are cheapskates. Still, I always felt a Simons would do ok here since they have a decent selection of affordable clothing, and different brands that you won't find at the Bay or anywhere else in town. They sell high-end stuff too but it's not crazy expensive like Holt Renfrew (which ironically became a clearance store before finally leaving the Peg).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
Sad but true. It's no secret that we are cheapskates. Still, I always felt a Simons would do ok here since they have a decent selection of affordable clothing, and different brands that you won't find at the Bay or anywhere else in town. They sell high-end stuff too but it's not crazy expensive like Holt Renfrew (which ironically became a clearance store before finally leaving the Peg).
I only shop at Simon's now. At least twice a year I am in a city that has one, and that's enough to keep my work clothes up. I have noticed that there are several men in my office who do the same. I used to only shop at the Bay. I find Simons to be cheaper than the Bay, generally. The Bay just has too many things. I hate shopping, so if I can minimize my time spent doing it, then I am better off.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I only shop at Simon's now. At least twice a year I am in a city that has one, and that's enough to keep my work clothes up. I have noticed that there are several men in my office who do the same. I used to only shop at the Bay. I find Simons to be cheaper than the Bay, generally. The Bay just has too many things. I hate shopping, so if I can minimize my time spent doing it, then I am better off.
Simons announced an expansion today. Unfortunately, Winnipeg is not included.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:08 PM

Jack and Jones Is Coming Back To Polo Park But This Time New Location Next To Knix

Last edited by horrorbro123; Jun 7, 2024 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Sounds about the same amount of time that they were suppose to be opening a standalone store in Kildonan Place near the Tax Center / Car Wash.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan