HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Winnipeg has what, 10 or 11 Giant Tigers? That is disproportionately more than most cities. Losing two is no big deal. And I agree that in this case it doesn't appear to be about theft, otherwise No Frills which is literally a few metres away would soon be contemplating leaving as well, or would have left long ago.
Not to mention the dozen of so Dollarama's that are at even worse locations through downtown and the inner city.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg has what, 10 or 11 Giant Tigers?
Winnipeg has 10 Giant Tigers including the 2 which are planned to close:

2195 Pembina Highway
225 Vermillion Road
838 Regent Avenue West
507 London Street
1441 Main Street
345 Donald Street
305 McPhillips Street
940 Jefferson Avenue
1450 A Ellice Avenue
3332 Portage Avenue

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:20 AM

Quote:
I would LOVE for an RRC supermarket to open back up there. They left because they were forced out by the landlord; they didn't choose to leave. They wanted to stay. Again, telling me there is demand from prospective supermarket companies to set up shop in that area.
Red River Coop planned a 1/2 million dollar retrofit before being kicked out.
That was then. Now, they might be holding off until Cotsco open near Main & The Perimeter with a much larger, newer building.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg has what, 10 or 11 Giant Tigers? That is disproportionately more than most cities. Losing two is no big deal. And I agree that in this case it doesn't appear to be about theft, otherwise No Frills which is literally a few metres away would soon be contemplating leaving as well, or would have left long ago.

I know people in this city have a 'ZZZOMG shops are closing must be theft related!!!!!' mentality, but this case doesn't seem to fit that profile.
As I have mentioned before, the 2 stores closing are very busy with people purchasing much more, huge grocery carts. . . full, as compared to other store locations.
Much more than Portage Ave west, Ellice & St James etc....
I am @ G T minimum twice a week all over the city..

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 2:40 AM

Steinbach Online reports: "We've had a rash of thefts" Shoppers Drug Mart no longer permitting unaccompanied minors

What are your thoughts on banning unaccompanied minor from shopping?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 2:51 AM

Somebody bought the Giant Tiger building on Main St.

Listing price was a little under 2 million so I wonder if it went for that or less being in the area its in?

I also wonder of Red River Co-op was the buyer?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 3:03 AM

Also of interest i see the 7-11 on Watt St was listed for sale. Spent a lot of money there back in the mid 70's in high school on Slurpee's and chips

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Steinbach Online reports: "We've had a rash of thefts" Shoppers Drug Mart no longer permitting unaccompanied minors

What are your thoughts on banning unaccompanied minor from shopping?
interesting, i was in Chicago suburb mall last Spring and they allowed no one under 18 there after 5pm and on weekend unless with an adult. and they had Police and security and every entrance checking. It was the weirdest thing I thought. My 16 y/o was with me and they asked him to confirm he was with me. I cant believe that is similarly coming to our country. (i also remember in early 2000's seeing police at grovery stores in Texas and that blew my mind away, but we've seen that here for quite a few years now).

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Site plan:

https://shindico.com/email/documents...t_sitePlan.pdf

Judging from the site plan, it looks like Costco is going to be built just east of Festival Drive, off Stewart Millett Way. I've seen some 5-6 story residential buildings come up in the area, which are technically inside Winnipeg City boundaries.
There were some City clerks meetings and some other documents showing locations. Originally I think they were at the SW corner of the site, along Portage. But the latest was they are the big building as you described. NE corner of the cite. There is a gas bar in the parking lot, which indicates Costco.

IIRC there was issue with the corner of the Costco building being too close to the property line. In the renders they actually show the building on top of the pathway that is there.

The other store I mentioned has a garden centre which I don't think Costco's really have a proper garden centre.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Also of interest i see the 7-11 on Watt St was listed for sale. Spent a lot of money there back in the mid 70's in high school on Slurpee's and chips
What's with all the Sev's closing. People say theft. Seriously you just close up shop because of theft? Do something about it. Like just give up? Seems like more of a corporate trend than anything else.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Costco Westport - From City of Winnipeg DMIS system

I think one of the sticking points was the bottom left corner of the building being so close to Festival Dr.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What's with all the Sev's closing. People say theft. Seriously you just close up shop because of theft? Do something about it. Like just give up? Seems like more of a corporate trend than anything else.
It's still open so I wonder if the company that owns the building (it use to be Shelter Corp years ago) is selling but the store will still be there.

If not staying retail I wonder would would work on that lot as its an odd shaped lot on a curve. Before that 7-11 it was a gas station so the lot configuration was not an issue.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:54 PM

This was an eye-opener for me. This editorial by Niigaan Sinclair in the Free Press today looks at crime/violence in grocery stores and suggests it's cause is...meat theft.

While I have sometimes needed to shop for cheaper cuts/types of meat before, the thought of stealing or buying stolen meat was so far out of my little world the suggestion in this article blew me away.

I think it opens up a valuable avenue for discussion on dealing with the rise in grocery store thefts.

Getting to the meat of grocery-store violence, racism accusations

by Niigaan Sinclair

The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs recently severed its relationship with the Food Fare grocery store after two incidents where advocates accused staff of “racially” targeting Indigenous customers.

In response, one Food Fare manager, Tarik Zeid, promised to train workers — many of whom are immigrants and have little knowledge about Indigenous peoples — on “conflict resolution, de-escalation techniques, and appropriate responses to challenging situations.”

It’s entirely possible Indigenous customers are being targeted by Food Fare staff. I don’t know and my attempts to find out resulted in a lot of hearsay.

What’s definitively possible is this is not really a racial conflict but one that derives from history, poverty and Canada’s affordability crisis.

Several sources have pointed out (from the AMC and elsewhere) that at the centre of all the violence at Food Fares is one simple thing: meat.

Meat may be the problem. Let me explain.

In a 2018 interview, I spoke with Russ Rothney and Louise Champagne, the former owners of Neechi Commons — the community-based grocery store, artisan co-operative and restaurant in Winnipeg’s North End.

It was surprising to learn the store’s downfall was not due to a lack of shoppers or increased food costs, but theft — particularly of frozen meat.

Everyone knows the most expensive item at a grocery store is often meat. For people on very tight budgets, meat (decent versions of it, anyway) is often out of reach.

Steak, pork, chicken and ground beef are some of the most lucrative items to sell on the streets.

Theft of frozen meat was what forced Rothney and Champagne — who operated a successful store on Dufferin Avenue before expanding — out of business.

That interview was the first time I heard of the black market for meat in Winnipeg.

Since then, I’ve had police officers share stories of trunks full of hamburger, back lane sales of steaks, and fistfights over prices and quality of meat.

This all may seem a bit weird for those who have not struggled to pay for groceries, but it’s true.

Frozen meat constitutes a large foundation of the underground market in Winnipeg and appears to be the common denominator in the Food Fare incidents.

Check the evidence.

Last March, Winnipeg police arrested 32-year old Keifer Kent and charged him with more than a dozen grocery store thefts and stealing more than $10,000 in goods.

The primary stolen items? Meat.

“In many of the incidents, the suspect would physically assault security or store employees and threaten them with bear spray or sharp-edged weapons,” police said in a news release at the time.

Sound familiar?

The Free Press reported violent incidents between Indigenous customers and Food Fare staff on two occasions this spring: April 28 and May 5. Both times, individuals were accused of shoplifting meat.

On May 14, another young man was accused of shoplifting and left, only to come back later and allegedly confront and assault workers — sending three to hospital.

The motivation for the incident is unknown and the investigation is ongoing, but what is more likely: a teenager stealing food for himself or selling it?

Poverty is driving individuals who don’t want to enter the highly profitable but highly illegal and dangerous drug trade and instead sell something easily shoplifted and sold for a high margin.

It may also be that the stakes of thefts in smaller shops like Food Fare are much higher, leading to the spate of violent incidents.

Ask any of the big-box grocery stores on the outskirts of the city and they will tell you theft of meat is their primary problem. Stealing from a big corporation isn’t often noticeable or cause for the business to fold.

Meat thieves may also be providing an essential service.

As one source who works for a front-line, North End social justice agency told me, it’s a way “poor families” can get cheap access to decent meat.

Add in that much of Winnipeg’s North End, Point Douglas and downtown communities are located in a “food desert” — where fresh food is almost impossible to find, never mind afford — and buying stolen meat sort of makes sense.

Sprinkle in an unaffordable economy and what was a petty crime in the downtown can turn into an epidemic of crime that can lead to violence.

It may just be more than racism.

niigaan.sinclair@freepress.mb.ca

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:00 PM

If I had the capital I'd start an old school commissary, look at the catalogue or order online and it comes in a box to you I've the counter.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:46 PM

Cantor's openly keeps meat behind the counter and for larger orders takes it to the cashier for the customers.

Young's keeps meat behind a counter and asks customers to pay at the counter.

When Sobey's converted a number of stores to FreshCo they proudly shared how Cantor's would be featured in the meat department. This is slyly a way of transferring liability for thefts.

I have also heard over the years from people working in grocery retailing that it isn't just meat but also cheese that are commonly stolen. In reality it is any protein that is easy to steal that is a target.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I suspect the solution to this will be less self serve meat sections in the grocery stores.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I suspect the solution to this will be less self serve meat sections in the grocery stores.
Yes, I can see this happening. Customers having to pay for their meat purchase at the meat counter, no more selecting packaged meat from a cooler.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:35 PM
the first stamp is free

^ It's how things used to be, and how a lot of smaller and specialty places work now (i.e. Delucas) - it will really slow down the process tho - especially at a place like Superstore, unless its staffed appropriately.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:39 PM

[QUOTE=pspeid;10206864]Yes, I can see this happening. Customers having to pay for their meat purchase at the meat counter, no more selecting packaged meat from a cooler.

The end result is, as with many things in life....90% of society has to be punished for 10% of societal crimes.
And, I am not against the idea of meat being behind the meat counter and prepaid. Or cheese.
I am simply stating how be it a workplace, shopping etc.. a few bandits make it more difficult for the majority.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
interesting, i was in Chicago suburb mall last Spring and they allowed no one under 18 there after 5pm and on weekend unless with an adult. and they had Police and security and every entrance checking. It was the weirdest thing I thought. My 16 y/o was with me and they asked him to confirm he was with me. I cant believe that is similarly coming to our country. (i also remember in early 2000's seeing police at grovery stores in Texas and that blew my mind away, but we've seen that here for quite a few years now).

I agree if it stops theft.

On a related note, studies had found that public shaming is a greater deterrant than legal action. In some Walmarts in America, and other department stores, shoplifters who were caught, were given the option of legal consequences, or holding up a store sign that said "I AM A THIEF. I STOLE FROM THIS STORE. DO NOT SHOPLIFT."

They found that not only did the youths/young adults in question have a far less recidivism rate, but it also worked as a deterrant to customers witnessing the person holding the sign near the entrance. Store theft had been found to decrease over the following weeks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan