HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Walked by Cityscape earlier, I guess Charming Charlie is closing. They're having a 30-50% sale with a sign saying "everything must go." Hate to see retail go, but it's a prime corner, I hope another store fills the space quickly.

Subway at Luhrs has also closed, referring customers to their Monroe/Central location.
It's been like that for months...it's not going anywhere, just your normal sale gimmicks.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:35 PM

I'm amazed Charming Charlie's has survived as long as it has.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:05 PM

The council subcommittee approved (unanimously) $500k investment to build the 20 parking spaces from Hines/Collier Center.

I guess that project could be coming sooner than anticipated!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
It's been like that for months...it's not going anywhere, just your normal sale gimmicks.
Actually this time they really are done. And not just in downtown Phoenix, but most of their stores (if not all) nationwide.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
The council subcommittee approved (unanimously) $500k investment to build the 20 parking spaces from Hines/Collier Center.

$500K for 20 parking spaces? Crap.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:36 AM

I am excited by the Hines/Collier project. Another out of nowhere but i think will add much to the area!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:00 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post

Please help me understand why this is a positive development. Downtown already has more parking than it needs, and even if Downtown had a parking shortage, 20 spaces would hardly make a dent. The price per space also seems exorbitant, showing just how much money is wasted on overbuilt, underpriced parking. Was this somehow a critical step to make a larger project work? If not, it seems like a questionable decision.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Please help me understand why this is a positive development. Downtown already has more parking than it needs, and even if Downtown had a parking shortage, 20 spaces would hardly make a dent. The price per space also seems exorbitant, showing just how much money is wasted on overbuilt, underpriced parking. Was this somehow a critical step to make a larger project work? If not, it seems like a questionable decision.
see the post above...related to 21+ story residential tower in Collier Center

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Was this somehow a critical step to make a larger project work?
Bingo.

Wouldn't go as far as to call it 'critical'. But it's a step forward none-the-less!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:46 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
see the post above...related to 21+ story residential tower in Collier Center
This?

"the Developer and the City has identified there is a need for additional public parking in the vicinity, and the developer has agreed to build at least 40 additional parking spaces. The Developer will then sell half of those spaces to the City and these approximately 20 spaces will be under total City ownership, which will assist in bringing new tenants into Downtown Phoenix"

Plenty of surplus capacity exists in all the other garages around the area. I understand that developers sometimes build excess parking capacity due to the demands of their investors and misguided minimum parking regulations, but it's sad to see the city actually paying for more parking to be built in what is supposed to be a walkable urban area served by high-capacity transit.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:16 AM

20 spaces to get a 21 story building. NO BRAINER!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:03 AM

I remain unconvinced.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:21 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I guess if you consider a cosmetic facelift of a place that houses nothing but medical billing offices and call centers plus a few 9-5 restaurants a "win" then there's no point in trying to discuss it with you.
Investment in a revitalization area is a win. Park Central is a small win, but it's a win nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:22 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
I'm with exit2lef. $500k is a huge amount of money. It could plant hundreds of trees, which would do vastly more for downtown than 20 parking spaces. Maybe if we had hundreds of more trees downtown, we'd be getting a 40 story building with no subsidy.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I'm with exit2lef. $500k is a huge amount of money. It could plant hundreds of trees, which would do vastly more for downtown than 20 parking spaces. Maybe if we had hundreds of more trees downtown, we'd be getting a 40 story building with no subsidy.
That's not really how it works though, you need people and businesses' downtown that demand the trees. and then it just sort of builds on itself from there.

Everyone needs to calm down downtown is just starting to hit its stride.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:25 PM

AMEN, Obadno.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:46 PM

The City is facing a massive budget shortfall coupled by it's inability to mange it's pension liabilities yet it has money for 20 parking spaces at half a million dollars?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The City is facing a massive budget shortfall coupled by it's inability to mange it's pension liabilities yet it has money for 20 parking spaces at half a million dollars?
Id rather it spend money on development then on overgenerous pension plans from the 1960's

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That's not really how it works though, you need people and businesses' downtown that demand the trees. and then it just sort of builds on itself from there.

Everyone needs to calm down downtown is just starting to hit its stride.
We are also rapidly approaching the end of a residential building cycle and over-saturation. My concern is spending $500K on parking spaces as a sop to a developer and it may well end up with them not building. It's a very realistic possibility.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:36 PM
self-important urbanista

Here's the video of the meeting. I'm even more disappointed to learn that these 40 spaces are surface parking, not in a garage, making the price per space even harder to justify. If 40 public spaces are needed, they could easily be added with more on-street parking in the surrounding blocks -- something the city needlessly shies away from in favor of too many travel lanes on Washington and Jefferson.

https://youtu.be/6oi-7BDX1TE?t=3m20s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest