HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:25 PM

Does this thread have to be within Winnipeg city limits? I pass by Headingley quite often, and they are building a couple of large condo/apartment buildings just west of the city, north of the Trans-Canada.

Edit: apparently it is within Winnipeg city limits, right on the boundary with Headingley, near the Red River Ex grounds:

https://www.forthrightventures.ca/re...ial/the-edge-2

There sure is a lot of development in Headingley. I would not be surprised if Headingley grows to 10,000 people by 2034.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Does this thread have to be within Winnipeg city limits? I pass by Headingley quite often, and they are building a couple of large condo/apartment buildings just west of the city.
There's a stickied thread for "Other MB and SK developments"

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Does this thread have to be within Winnipeg city limits? I pass by Headingley quite often, and they are building a couple of large condo/apartment buildings just west of the city.
Prolly should go in the Headingly Construction XII thread.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Does this thread have to be within Winnipeg city limits? I pass by Headingley quite often, and they are building a couple of large condo/apartment buildings just west of the city, north of the Trans-Canada.

Edit: apparently it is within Winnipeg city limits, right on the boundary with Headingley, near the Red River Ex grounds:

There sure is a lot of development in Headingley. I would not be surprised if Headingley grows to 10,000 people by 2034.
Look at those beautiful roofs

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 7:40 PM

If cities like Calgary do not meet the HAF criteria is their a mechanism for Winnipeg to get more money from the pot? It seems like a bunch of cities in Alberta and Ontario are willing to leave money on the table. Money we desperately need.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:50 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Graham Ave plan looks sick. The only concern I would have is security. That said, more eyes and pedestrians on the street, the more likely the security issues diminish.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 8:17 PM

Plan looks fine, will they maintain it? Walking down graham today I see a funnelator that's not working. I see interlocking stones in the street that are patched with cement on top. Miss matched lights. etc etc.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Plan looks fine, will they maintain it? Walking down graham today I see a funnelator that's not working. I see interlocking stones in the street that are patched with cement on top. Miss matched lights. etc etc.
Those two massive surface lots on the east side are no-fail infills in my opinion. The city needs to leverage everything it can to get something going on there. I think that good quality infill there will really make Graham seem more attractive, with the benefit of bringing hundreds of new residents downtown. Two unpaved, heavily littered parking lots make that end of downtown feel extraordinarily shabby. Too bad the Ponzi scheme collapsed before Sky City was built. Sigh.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 9:07 PM

I do like all the concept developments they have in there. Particularly the Donald/St Mary zone and the SkyCity zone.

The one plan that shows the red potential residential developments is heavily concentrated on that stretch of Donald and surrounding area.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 9:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Those two massive surface lots on the east side are no-fail infills in my opinion. The city needs to leverage everything it can to get something going on there. I think that good quality infill there will really make Graham seem more attractive, with the benefit of bringing hundreds of new residents downtown. Two unpaved, heavily littered parking lots make that end of downtown feel extraordinarily shabby. Too bad the Ponzi scheme collapsed before Sky City was built. Sigh.
Ponzi schemes rely on the people at the top making their money before any significant money actually needs to be spent. It was never in danger of getting built.

Same as the "hotel" project at 138 Portage East.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 9:48 PM

Hmmmm, just to the west of that would be, dare I say it, a perfect spot for a big indoor waterpark!

Quote:

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Hmmmm, just to the west of that would be, dare I say it, a perfect spot for a big indoor waterpark!
I'm not sold on indoor water park. When I was a child, there was a water park in Fort Garry on Pembina Highway around 1984-86, at the Pembina Village Shopping Mall (Waverley Heights). It only lasted two years, due to low attendance, and went out of business.

Not only that but Skinners Wet N Wild and Fun Mountain also went under. I have a feeling that any attempt at building an all season indoor water park will not be successful, unless of course, it is attached to a hotel.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:25 PM
Mooderator

Quote:

Not only that but Skinners Wet N Wild and Fun Mountain also went under. I have a feeling that any attempt at building a all season indoor water park will not be successful.
I've been to both (and the defunct Thunder Mountain in Brandon). I'm sure something like Valcartier's waterpark would probably be a hit in Winnipeg.

I live near Le Nordik in Chelsea, QC and they are the same outfit that built Thermea. Maybe their success could open the door for more QC business to come to Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:06 AM

"City looks to duplexes, triplexes to ease housing shortage"https://winnipeg-can.newsmemory.com?...Start=Winnipeg

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not sold on indoor water park. When I was a child, there was a water park in Fort Garry on Pembina Highway around 1984-86, at the Pembina Village Shopping Mall (Waverley Heights). It only lasted two years, due to low attendance, and went out of business.

Not only that but Skinners Wet N Wild and Fun Mountain also went under. I have a feeling that any attempt at building an all season indoor water park will not be successful, unless of course, it is attached to a hotel.
Exactly. If a waterpark made sense, someone would have built one by now.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
"City looks to duplexes, triplexes to ease housing shortage"https://winnipeg-can.newsmemory.com?...Start=Winnipeg
I have to say, the city council does seem to be one of the more pro-density councils in Canada with the citizenry seeming to follow suit. They're fighting these density changes tooth and nail in a lot of the country but it just seems to be putting along here. I wonder if it's that Winnipeggers have a better frame of reference of dense mid-sized cities due to our city's age and historic districts. A dense, 15 minute city doesnt look too bad if you're drawing on the Exchange or Osborne for comparison/inspiration.

Obviously a generalization but food for thought.

Last edited by FactaNV; May 9, 2024 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I have to say, the city council does seem to be one of the more pro-density councils in Canada with the citizenry seeming to follow suit. They're fighting these density changes tooth and nail in a lot of the country but it just seems to be putting along here. I wonder if it's that Winnipeggers have a better frame of reference of dense mid-sized cities due to our city's age and historic districts. A dense, 15 minute city does look too bad if you're drawing on the Exchange or Osborne for comparison/inspiration.

Obviously a generalization but food for thought.
Even St B, Earl Grey or Lord Roberts are good examples to follow and they don't have a lot of that in Calgary or Edmonton. I also think maybe people here are more aware of the financial need for density. Albertans are used to having endless money but eventually the costs of sprawl catch up to them too.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Even St B, Earl Grey or Lord Roberts are good examples to follow and they don't have a lot of that in Calgary or Edmonton. I also think maybe people here are more aware of the financial need for density. Albertans are used to having endless money but eventually the costs of sprawl catch up to them too.
You make a great point. Winnipeg is extremely well-positioned in my opinion to be a North American missing middle proof of concept (outside of very old cities like Boston, Montreal or Quebec), mostly because we generally don't have the capital in this town to build >3 new 30+ floor towers a year. Honestly though, I'll take the missing middle town over the city of towers any day. Paris vs Manhattan is a no-brainer in terms of human scale and comfort to me.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:28 PM

I've found a change in tone, albeit anecdotal, of some folks living in St. B who have accepted that infills are in fact good for the neighbourhood. Even if they tower over surrounding homes and can be monstrosities depending upon the lot. Eventually most of the neighbourhood will be mostly replaced, albeit over decades of time.

A good solid strategy on infill guidelines and costs associated with it would be a practical solution, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan