HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
City putting traffic lights going at the Coscto on St. James. I believe Costco will be paying for them. Haven't heard anything lately on any of the potential other Costco builds. By Assiniboine downs and by Windsor Plywood north Main were the latest rumours.
those St James lights are 20 yrs overdue

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
City putting traffic lights going at the Coscto on St. James. I believe Costco will be paying for them. Haven't heard anything lately on any of the potential other Costco builds. By Assiniboine downs and by Windsor Plywood north Main were the latest rumours.
I hope they build a Costco by Assiniboia Downs. That area is really growing. Additionally, I can grab some delicious chicken fingers and fries for under $7 after work.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:34 PM

^It’s already fully confirmed and possibly under construction already.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
those St James lights are 20 yrs overdue
There rumors of a Costco at Sage Creek

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
My bet is on a superstore going in sage creek, near the McDonald's, with the Costco going on the Southeast quadrant of the PTH 59/100 interchange

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:13 PM

This Costco sage creek. IIRC the Costcos were Headingly and North Main, with St. James converting to some kind of other Costco.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Costco is still on hold in Winnipeg due to our higher construction costs in comparison to other markets. Last summer they did budget pricing for the Assiniboine Downs site. I believe the sequencing is the Headingley store, conversion of the St James store to a Costco Business Centre and then the north Main St at the Perimeter site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Costco is still on hold in Winnipeg due to our higher construction costs in comparison to other markets. Last summer they did budget pricing for the Assiniboine Downs site. I believe the sequencing is the Headingley store, conversion of the St James store to a Costco Business Centre and then the north Main St at the Perimeter site.
So Regent, Main, St James (BC), Kenaston and Headingley? Man Winnipeg must love Costco to have 5 before we hit a million people lmao. Edmonton has five and is well over million people (although I guess it's 7 Costcos if you count Leduc and Sherwood Park as "Edmonton").

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Definitely not.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
This is a deeper rumor that the Headingley Target was and about as likely to happen to.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:24 PM

2 Giant Tigers set to shutter.
Logan @ 305 McPhillips and on 1441 Main St.
Saying it has nothing to do with retail theft. Citing poor sales.
What? No way!!!!!!!
I call B. S.
Those 2 are busy whenever I have gone which is down time like midweek 1:30 - 3 pm
I often have gone to McPhillips cause they have good inventory.
Those locations see a lot of people buying huge carts of groceries, much more than other locations I also go to.
Some of the other locations are never as busy.
I smell some stinky cheese.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:44 PM

Giant Tiger closing on Logan/McPhillips and Main/Inkster this July. They say it's not about theft.

It's definitely about theft.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Definitely not.
I haven’t been out there at all in ages so I’m relying on others to confirm that so thanks.

It is definitely happening though. Many friends who work at Costco have been told so and supervisor trainings have been increased to prepare for it.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Giant Tiger closing on Logan/McPhillips and Main/Inkster this July. They say it's not about theft.

-Robs stores blind

-"Why are there food deserts?"

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 3:04 AM

I wonder who owns 1441 Main St? It was once a Canada Safeway, does Sobeys now own that real property too?

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post

Why would they close the Giant Tiger on Main and Inkster, when the location downtown is far more likely to be a victim of theft, and there are no plans to close that location.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 13, 2024 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Site plan:

https://shindico.com/email/documents...t_sitePlan.pdf

Judging from the site plan, it looks like Costco is going to be built just east of Festival Drive, off Stewart Millett Way. I've seen some 5-6 story residential buildings come up in the area, which are technically inside Winnipeg City boundaries.

Although technically, this development is in Winnipeg, there are quite a number of new sub-divisions springing up in the municipality, especially Taylor Farm

By the time I am of retirement age, it would not suprise me the least to see Headingley become Manitoba's 3rd largest city/district, with 25,000 people inhabiting the area.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 11, 2024 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
I wonder who owns 1441 Main St? It was once a Canada Safeway, does Sobeys now own that real property too?
When Red River COOP was not offered a lease renewal the landlord was GWL Reality.

Which sort of makes sense as those are the type of buildings that insurance companies like to own as the tenants usually take longer leases with renewal options

Anything that Sobey's own's would be on the Crombie Reit website and that location is not one of them

I wonder of Red River COOP is still interested in that location or have they spent all there expansion capital on the new stores they recently opened?

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 1:15 AM

Winnipeg has what, 10 or 11 Giant Tigers? That is disproportionately more than most cities. Losing two is no big deal. And I agree that in this case it doesn't appear to be about theft, otherwise No Frills which is literally a few metres away would soon be contemplating leaving as well, or would have left long ago.

I know people in this city have a 'ZZZOMG shops are closing must be theft related!!!!!' mentality, but this case doesn't seem to fit that profile.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
When Red River COOP was not offered a lease renewal the landlord was GWL Reality.

Which sort of makes sense as those are the type of buildings that insurance companies like to own as the tenants usually take longer leases with renewal options

Anything that Sobey's own's would be on the Crombie Reit website and that location is not one of them

I wonder of Red River COOP is still interested in that location or have they spent all there expansion capital on the new stores they recently opened?
I would LOVE for an RRC supermarket to open back up there. They left because they were forced out by the landlord; they didn't choose to leave. They wanted to stay. Again, telling me there is demand from prospective supermarket companies to set up shop in that area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan