HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Now that more details have come out, I think it’s more about being ready to pivot if auction falls through (for whatever reason) and sell to another buyer for relocation to another market. Sounds like the NHL is pushing this approach. The timing of it all is also kind of curious. Gambo (AZ Sports) was the first one to break this and then within a couple of hours, the notice and auction date was posted online by the AZ State Land Department.
Hard to say.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Now that more details have come out, I think it’s more about being ready to pivot if auction falls through (for whatever reason) and sell to another buyer for relocation to another market. Sounds like the NHL is pushing this approach. The timing of it all is also kind of curious. Gambo (AZ Sports) was the first one to break this and then within a couple of hours, the notice and auction date was posted online by the AZ State Land Department.
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain more? How would putting all of this together be more about selling and relocating to another market?

I think meruelo is in a very poor selling position as far as a team is concerned. If he is just over it and wants out, that's one thing. But franchises without any kind of home stadium/land/anything are not fetching any kind of premium. For sure Alex wants to see this thing through and turn his $300m franchise plus current investment in a stadium complex into billions. I bet all this is being put out because the NHL is sick of being so supportive for no apparent reason. They want to coyotes to show them and their fans how and why they deserve support.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain more? How would putting all of this together be more about selling and relocating to another market?

I think meruelo is in a very poor selling position as far as a team is concerned. If he is just over it and wants out, that's one thing. But franchises without any kind of home stadium/land/anything are not fetching any kind of premium. For sure Alex wants to see this thing through and turn his $300m franchise plus current investment in a stadium complex into billions. I bet all this is being put out because the NHL is sick of being so supportive for no apparent reason. They want to coyotes to show them and their fans how and why they deserve support.
This seems very plausible and nothing being said is basically stating the obvious, if they can't figure out a permanent NHL arena in Phoenix soon, they will have to look at relocation. I'm not sure what the league expected after the Tempe vote failed, these things don't get done overnight (we know damn well how long major developments can take in this thread).

But certainly plausible that the pressure is reaching a tipping point and something has to happen soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:16 PM

One thing I've heard on AZ Sports is that "if the team goes to SLC it's because they have a venue ready to play now." That venue is the Delta Center, which like the FPC was built for basketball not hockey. In hockey format this is what it looks like.

Not better than FPC. No hockey specific arena plan exists in SLC. I'm struggling to understand how it's a better situation as of right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nhl/comment..._the/#lightbox

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 10:25 PM
E pluribus unum

If I understand all this correctly, what's the chance they get outbid on the plot? Is that even a remote possibility?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:54 AM

All,

Here’s a videos of Arizona Coyotes arena. This looks amazing!!

https://youtu.be/coV_muQWkM8?si=82iJWl7pjtWcLV7_

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
If I understand all this correctly, what's the chance they get outbid on the plot? Is that even a remote possibility?
Possible? Yes. But it doesn't seem very likely, the auction is in about 6-weeks and this thread that User Kat C posted on Twitter explains how the process works, what goes into it, and the fact that the Yotes have been at it for about a year now.

- The Yotes completed site assessment on the ASLD property that was delivered to the ownership in summer of 2023.
- In March, the Coyotes submitted an $153,000 application to the State Land Department that initiated an auction notice for the 110 acre site where the #yotes want to make their permanent home.

Included within the Auction Notice packet:
- Auction Notice with information for bidders
- Auction Flyer for advertising (req. for 10 weeks)
- Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment
- Land Title Survey
- City of Phoenix Infrastructure Letter
- the #yotes have chosen @AECOMHunt to partner with for construction.
- The #yotes must show with a cashier's check for $15,767,200.

- Additional bidders must appear with a cashier's check for $15,920,200. This includes the $153K application fee if they are the "best and highest bidder"
- Only 22% of auctions have competitive bidders. Did I mention any bidders have to show with $16M in cash.

Immediately following the auction, the successful bidder must provide their ~$16M cashier's check to pay the following:
- 20% of appraised value
- 3% Admin Fee
- Legal Advertising Costs
- Appraisal Fee
- 7 Right-of-Way Assignment Application Fees
- Patent Fee
- Within 30 Days of the auction, the successful bidder must complete their payment to the State Land Department. Reminder: This must be a cash purchase - no mortgaging of this property is allowed. The bidder loses their money (its considered "rent") if they fail this step.

https://twitter.com/ThePolitiKat/sta...YqsvHRSVUGYbvg

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 6:29 PM

I wish the new arena would have a water feature like Tempe Town Lake

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:00 PM

And it begins...

I'm expecting lawsuit from Scottsdale Airpark any day now... /s

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...asy-arena.html

Quote:
Scottsdale Mayor David Ortega released a lengthy statement Monday laying out his opposition to the arena and entertainment district the Arizona Coyotes have said they want to build on the border of Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Last week a public auction date was set for June 27 for a 110-acre piece of Arizona State Trust land at the northwest corner of the Loop 101 freeway and Scottsdale Road. Arizona Coyotes CEO Xavier Gutierrez has emphasized that team owner Alex Meruelo is committed to winning it.

If the Coyotes are able to acquire the land, they plan to build a new arena, practice facility, headquarters, live music theater, 400,000 square feet of retail and 1,900 luxury residential units.

While Ortega said he is an admirer of hockey and particularly the Coyotes, he said the project, which is still pretty much hypothetical now, is not thought out, not needed in the area and will not be getting any infrastructure resources from Scottsdale.

“The prospect of a rookie developer attempting to buy Arizona State Trust Land with absolutely no infrastructure on the Phoenix side of the 101/Scottsdale Road intersection at the doorstep of Scottsdale is not feasible, or welcome,” Ortega said.

The Coyotes declined to comment about Ortega’s opposition to the proposed project. The team's practice rink and offices are both located in the city of Scottsdale.

In his statement, Ortega pointed out several issues with the site, the first being that there is currently no infrastructure there and water and sewer lines lie miles away to the west.

The state land department’s auction will require that all infrastructure — water and sewer — come from the city of Phoenix. A new frontage road will need to be built on the north side of the Loop 101, while the 64th Street and Loop 101 north exit will have to be built out to serve the area. Ortega said he demanded those conditions in a meeting earlier this year with the Arizona Land Department.

A lengthy letter from the city of Phoenix that details all the infrastructure needed for the site was included in the public auction documents. Gutierrez told the Business Journal earlier this month that he expects the infrastructure for the site to cost around $100 million.

Mayor says move the project away from Scottsdale
Outside of infrastructure, Ortega said that the retail aspects of the Coyotes proposed project “sit too close to the retail lions of Scottsdale.” He also pointed out that the project would lead to congested highway access and he questioned whether there is market demand for a new entertainment venue.

“I along with City of Scottsdale staff will continue to monitor any actions that occur, and negative repercussions for Scottsdale,” Ortega said. “As it stands today, the fantasy hockey project must move west, away from Scottsdale.”

The Coyotes faced opposition from a neighboring city on its last attempt to build a new arena. The city of Phoenix and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport opposed the proposed project in Tempe because they said it was too close to the runways at the airport.

A bill currently in the Arizona Legislature has raised a lot of speculation about how the Coyotes’ ownership could fund the massive project it wants to build in north Phoenix.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Apr 18, 2024 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:45 AM

Don’t listen to Scottsdale mayor! Coyotes had it right to build new arena. They are always welcome. Don’t tell what they can do! They had respect that! There’s nothing wrong with it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Don’t listen to Scottsdale mayor! Coyotes had it right to build new arena. They are always welcome. Don’t tell what they can do! They had respect that! There’s nothing wrong with it.
Agree - David Ortega was voted in by Scottsdale NIMBYs and is doing this because it's not on HIS side of Scottsdale Road to collect taxes and to keep his base happy. PATHETIC!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:01 PM
self-important urbanista

This sounds like a music festival: Retail Lions of Scottsdale will be the headliners with Fantasy Hockey Project as an opening act.

Ortega's position is both ironic and a case of history repeating itself. Up until the '90s, Scottsdale resisted retail development north of Old Town. The result was the construction of Scottsdale Pavilions just over the border on the Salt River Indian Community. After seeing its residents and their tax dollars flow out of city limits, Scottsdale then allowed retail development at Pima/Shea, Scottsdale Quarter, and along Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard. Now it sounds like the city wants to do the same with sports venues -- only those are rare developments that can't be easily cultivated if there's a change of mind.

Last edited by exit2lef; Apr 9, 2024 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
This sounds like a music festival: Retail Lions of Scottsdale will be the headliners with Fantasy Hockey Project as an opening act.

Ortega's position is both ironic and a case of history repeating itself. Up until the '90s, Scottsdale resisted retail development north of Old Town. The result was the construction of Scottsdale Pavilions just over the border on the Salt River Indian Community. After seeing its residents and their tax dollars flow out of city limits, Scottsdale then allowed retail development at Pima/Shea, Scottsdale Quarter, and along Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard. Now it sounds like the city wants to do the same with sports venues -- only those are rare developments that can't be easily cultivated if there's a change of mind.
Like I said a few weeks ago. Nothing matters more to cities than sales tax collections.

Ortega looks pathetic. Complaining about traffic? Infrastructure? It looks so weak.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Like I said a few weeks ago. Nothing matters more to cities than sales tax collections.

Ortega looks pathetic. Complaining about traffic? Infrastructure? It looks so weak.
You'd hope that the neighboring businesses (Scottsdale Quarter, hotels, new Optima development etc.) that will be positively impacted by an arena are telling Ortega to shut his mouth. What a scumbag

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post

All infrastructure will come from Phoenix. the 64th street exit and frontage road will be built out - to his own request. the 101 has been very recently widened. Seems like the mayor got everything he wanted and still wanted to publicly whine about it. This is ultimately a win for Scottsdale businesses in the area, and a win for the entire valley. The area already hosts major events and it will be great to have a major venue on this side of town - not just for hockey, but for concerts and other events.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 10:25 PM

Last edited by ASUSunDevil; Apr 9, 2024 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
You'd hope that the neighboring businesses (Scottsdale Quarter, hotels, new Optima development etc.) that will be positively impacted by an arena are telling Ortega to shut his mouth. What a scumbag
You got that right! I don’t like him! He has to go now. He has no authority to ask for move. None of the business! Let build the arena! There is nothing wrong about traffic problems. They already have a widened on Loop 101 East. The construction is done. Tell him to stop complaining about this! Just accept it! Move forward!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
You got that right! I don’t like him! He has to go now. He has no authority to ask for move. None of the business! Let build the arena! There is nothing wrong about traffic problems. They already have a widened on Loop 101 East. The construction is done. Tell him to stop complaining about this! Just accept it! Move forward!
The sad part is his opposition is even more anti development.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TllrSkyline-01 View Post
Agree - David Ortega was voted in by Scottsdale NIMBYs and is doing this because it's not on HIS side of Scottsdale Road to collect taxes and to keep his base happy. PATHETIC!
I'm a little confused. Wasn't it the NIMBY season ticket holders who wanted the Coyotes so desperately to be near the East Valley or Scottsdale, so their poor souls didn't have drive all the way through rush hour traffic to Westgate? So now they don't want to deal with traffic headaches closer to home if they're not collecting sales tax if the Coyotes bring themselves closer to them? Screw them all.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:15 PM

My cynicism tells me Scottsdale wants to have the next premier concert venue in their territory and its most pissed about losing that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest