HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:32 AM

I always liked the "looking up" photos. Thanks!

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 9:09 PM
Meh

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 4:06 AM

I always liked the looking down pics. Thanks!

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I always liked the looking down pics. Thanks!
I see what you did there.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 7:56 PM
Meh

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 9:00 PM

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:12 AM
Meh

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:58 AM

That's a really cool shot of South Congress leading up to downtown. I noticed one car not backed in on the diagonal. Is there an ordinance against that...could they get a ticket? A lot of the back ins look pretty crooked. It really looks like a pain in the ass.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 5:10 AM

Quote:
That's a really cool shot of South Congress leading up to downtown. I noticed one car not backed in on the diagonal. Is there an ordinance against that...could they get a ticket? A lot of the back ins look pretty crooked. It really looks like a pain in the ass.
I think so.

At any given time at minimum roughly 10% of cars parked in back-in spaces along 4th from Nueces to San Antonio are usually parked front-in. Many will contain what looks like a parking ticket.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 9:54 PM
Meh

I really like the density in this one.

https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/...type=1&theater

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:

I have little patience for those who take 5 minutes to back in. It's not rocket science. I'd love to get rid of/vastly reduce street parking on Congress to make room for rail.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 7:25 PM
Meh

I think people mix up which way to turn the wheel when they're looking behind them. That seems goofy, but I've seen it happen. People also seem to forget that they need to use their mirrors. And one of the worst new inventions in cars are backup cameras. You'd think people would be doing it like a pro now days with such features, but nope.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
I have little patience for those who take 5 minutes to back in. It's not rocket science. I'd love to get rid of/vastly reduce street parking on Congress to make room for rail.
It is rocket science to me. I am terrified when I have to back in to these spaces especially when there is a lot of traffic behind me, people like you, perhaps, who have so little patience. I think this new parking method is a problem for a lot of drivers. I never had trouble backing out of one of parking spaces back in the day, and it was sure a lot easier to park head in.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 8:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think people mix up which way to turn the wheel when they're looking behind them. That seems goofy, but I've seen it happen. People also seem to forget that they need to use their mirrors. And one of the worst new inventions in cars are backup cameras. You'd think people would be doing it like a pro now days with such features, but nope.
I love my backup camera...

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:09 PM
Meh

Our neighbor across the street has always backed into his driveway. He works for an oil company in West Texas, previously on an oil rig in the gulf. Anyway, he drives two pickups. lol He has a '03 Chevy 1500 and a 2014 Ford F150. He backs both of them in next to each other, and his driveway is pretty narrow. His girlfriend and daughter would always then park behind him. Anyway, I would watch how he did it, because he always seemed to come natural to him. So whenever he does, he swings out into the middle of the street and "aims" for the driveway across the street from him. It's as though he's planning to pull into the driveway across the street from him. Anyway, he then backs in. Aiming for the driveway across the street puts the rear end of his truck almost at a perfect angle so that all he has to do is back in at that point. You could do that for the back in spaces on South Congress, provided no one was trying to zip past you in the left lane.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:23 PM

There is ALWAYS someone trying to zip past you on Congress, West 6th, or Dean Keeton. My old geezer nerves are completely frayed trying to park in these locales. What exactly is the rationale behind this kind of parking? Does it allow for more parking spaces than would be available with head in parking? I am not sure that traffic is any less impeded with this parking method.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
There is ALWAYS someone trying to zip past you on Congress, West 6th, or Dean Keeton. My old geezer nerves are completely frayed trying to park in these locales. What exactly is the rationale behind this kind of parking? Does it allow for more parking spaces than would be available with head in parking? I am not sure that traffic is any less impeded with this parking method.
As annoying as the backups into the parking space are, it's a lot better than people suddenly backing up into the traffic lanes when leaving the parking spots.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:34 PM
Meh

The intent was to give drivers both driving on Congress and parked on Congress better visibility between each other. You can actually make eye contact with the coming out of the space or if you're the one coming out of the space you can see the face of people driving on Congress. It's good because you can see if they're paying attention and see that you're coming out. The old way made it so cars were blindly backing out of the spaces. Back in the 90s we used to go to a bike shop along there, and back then my parents had an '83 Chevy Suburban. It was always difficult back out of those spaces since you never could see the street or if there were any cars coming. It makes me feel safer being able to see faces when I'm riding in the bike lane through there to see if they see me.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:36 PM

It was a lot easier to PARK head in, the problem came with getting out of the parking spot. When I would park my Corvair nosed in on South Congress and then a giant SUV would park to the right of me I would have no way of knowing when there was a break in traffic to get out unless someone watched for me. I'm sure this caused lots of accidents as people would back up enough to see and were already halfway into traffic.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 10:29 PM

I have experienced all of the problems described above in the past, but I always managed to back out safely and without an accident. Also, I don't recall ever witnessing any accidents when people still had to back out of parking spaces into oncoming traffic. I am sure there must have been plenty of them, but I don't recall any. Truthfully, I now pretty much avoid trying to park on South Congress and look back fondly on the days when it was easy to grab a parking place and go for a quick meal or do some shopping. I understand that I am probably 20 or 30 years older than most other forumers, so I don't expect any of you to feel my pain. My reflexes are not what they once were, and I find it very hard to concentrate while my stiff neck is twisted around trying to navigate into one of these new fangled parking spots. My demographic is probably not missed very much on South Congress these days anyway.

Last edited by austlar1; May 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin