HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
To save me from having to go through the entire thread, could someone tell me what the height of the convention centre is?
According to Emporis, 44 m/144 ft

source:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=292458

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 5:17 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 12:33 AM
BANNED

architectural record:
Quote:
Vancouver Convention Centre’s Olympic Expansion
May 4, 2009
By Aleksandr Bierig

In comparison to the building boom that was the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the 2010 Vancouver Games have had little architectural fanfare: Most of the venues are existing stadiums, either left alone or slightly renovated. Even accounting for the lesser requirements of a Winter Games, the Olympics won’t leave much of an architectural stamp on their host city.

A notable exception is the large addition to the Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC) that opened on April 3. Designed by Seattle-based LMN Architects in association with Canadian firms Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership and DA Architects and Planners, the new structure will temporarily serve as the Vancouver 2010 International Broadcast Center, headquarters for the estimated 7,000 television and radio broadcasters and technicians who will cover the Games. They will occupy the building from this fall through the end of the Games (the Olympics are scheduled for February 12 to 28, followed by the Paralympic Games, March 12 to 21). Afterward, the building will be used for conventions, exhibitions, and other events.

The $720 million expansion adds 338,000 square feet of exhibition, meeting, and ballroom space to the existing 133,000-square-foot expo center—a distinctive, tensile-roof structure designed by DA Architects, Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership, and Zeidler Roberts Partnership and completed in 1986 for the World’s Fair. A 200-foot-long bridge connects the two buildings.

The expansion’s signature feature is its green roof: a 6-acre landscape of folding planes that is the largest of its kind in Canada. Other sustainable features include a system that uses the harbor’s seawater to heat and cool the building, grey and black water recycling, and a unique waterfront artificial reef that extends off the building’s north end into the Burrard Inlet. The reef structure, which resembles a grandstand descending into the water, has already attracted an array of sea life.

Sustainable initiatives were central to the project from its inception, according to Mark Reddington, a design partner at LMN. “Vancouver has a very community-focused process for making a project like this,” he says. “There’s a strong belief in protecting the natural environment and in sustainability in the general culture.” LMN worked with a number of local boards, including a city-appointed sustainability advisory committee that proposed environmental goals for the building. Reddington jokes that Vancouver could seem like the “world headquarters for community process,” but the result, he says, is a building that reflects the culture and ethos of the city.

The community was also instrumental in pushing for public access to the site, which takes up the equivalent of four city blocks. Throughways, a park, and retail storefronts define the edges of the new building, whose roof and connected landscape extend an emerald necklace of parks that sweeps around the harbor to the iconic Stanley Park, which lies directly to the northwest. Visually, the new building was intended to complement the iconic, sail-like roof of the older structure. “It makes the existing building stronger,” Reddington says, “because before we did this, the site was sort of a leftover piece of the waterfront that was incomplete.”
http://archrecord.construction.com/n...4vancouver.asp

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 2:35 AM
Dig-it

I sure hope the security picks up a bit, as the other day Thurlow Plaza was invaded by about 10 skateboarders doing their best to chip the concrete and trash painted metal anywhere they could.
I counted 2 graffiti tags already.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:21 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
The $720 million expansion?
I thought the total was $800+million
Also, why do they have to tag this convention centre under one of the constructions for the "OLYMPICS" again. We need a new convention centre even if we did not host the Olympics!!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:29 AM

we wouldn't have got it without the olympics

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:50 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ That true.....

ALLEN: "THANK GOD WE HAVE THE OLYMPICS"
ALLEN2: "YEAH, OR ELSE WE WOULDN'T HAVE CANADA LINE AND VCC AND OLYMPIC VILLAGE"
ALLEN: "I AM LOVING THE OLYMPICS MORE THAN EVER"

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
ALLEN2: "YEAH, OR ELSE WE WOULDN'T HAVE CANADA LINE AND VCC AND OLYMPIC VILLAGE"

Did you clone yourself?

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:55 AM

Quote:
I thought the total was $800+million
Also, why do they have to tag this convention centre under one of the constructions for the "OLYMPICS" again. We need a new convention centre even if we did not host the Olympics!!
It's a US publication, hence...

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Although it is less internationally recognized, Canada Place is most definitely Vancouver's landmark right now. I don't see any other Vancouver buildings that come even close to the recognizability of Canada Place within the region. Maybe if we build a giant ferris wheel........ just kidding...
Maybe the future VAG's design will be the next "iconic" building Vancouver will have. I dunno. The new VAG is still in the works, yes? But I do agree that Canada Place is the most internationally recognized landmark. I thought the Shang-ri La was going to be "iconic". To be honest, while I love the Shang-ri La, it doesn't really set itself apart from the other countless of "glass" structures all around the downtown core.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 5:12 AM

yes the $ was 85 cents today!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Hahahahaha

That is the extent of my argument against those who opposed the 2010 Games; it's all I need to know.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:13 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

I didn't know that my joke was so funny....

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
I sure hope the security picks up a bit, as the other day Thurlow Plaza was invaded by about 10 skateboarders doing their best to chip the concrete and trash painted metal anywhere they could.
I counted 2 graffiti tags already.
On the opening weekend I was commenting to another forumer about my surprise that the plaza area hadn't been very effectively 'skate-proofed'. Some of the ledges and railings have notches, but everything from the smoothness of the paving and bricks to the angles and stairs would be very inviting to skateboarders - almost like a new skatepark without any ramps or boxes. Can't say I blame them (assuming they're teenagers). The area is big enough that security probably wouldn't be very effective.

I don't think this will be a major recurring problem, but if it really bothers you, you're probably older than me.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:58 PM

Architects often live in lofty heights. They seem not to think about practical and real-world use for their designs. Like - this plaza's smooth lines and raised concrete platforms might attract skateboarders, or this secluded and poorly-lit area might attract drug-dealers.

I think quite often it's AFTER a building is actually built and handed-over to the owners, that the security experts are hired to go in and figure out how to stop the potential trouble, by installing lighting, gates, fences, cameras, and anti-skate bars.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 8:20 PM

Just look at the new street furniture for Granville Street...

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/current.../display21.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 10:34 PM
victory in near

what's a bollard? and that entire paragraph needs to be rewritten.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 10:58 PM

A waist height post to prevent vehicles from entering ...

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 10:20 PM
Dig-it

Interesting enough, today there are "NO Skateboarding" signs all over the Plaza.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 10:21 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ I thought they were there since the open house??

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver