HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, Kevin.

Don't know about this technology but I did a quick search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_capture_and_storage

Seems like maybe a better idea would be to get off the fossil fuels in the first place... especially considering #4 in the Wikipedia post (leakage). Opinions, anyone?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Thanks, Kevin.

Don't know about this technology but I did a quick search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_capture_and_storage

Seems like maybe a better idea would be to get off the fossil fuels in the first place... especially considering #4 in the Wikipedia post (leakage). Opinions, anyone?
It would be a better idea, like actually losing weight instead of sucking it in and wearing dark colors.
I do like this idea (sort of) better for what they are using it for; to capture "junk" from the cement flues, which are in abundance in the area.
As for sticking this technology on a coal plant and calling it clean like the Summit Power CC Plant in Odessa? Yes, it would be better to get off the coal completely. However, given the likelihood of this country going cold-turkey off the coal anytime soon, I guess catching CO2 from coal isn't too bad of an idea although "clean coal" isn't my idea of clean; we're still using coal.

As for the leakage...
I went to the Skyonic website and found this:
Quote:
A SkyMine® plant can be retrofitted to stationary emitters to economically remove CO2 from the exhaust stream and transform it into solids instead of a gas. Solid carbonates and bicarbonates can be profitably sold to market and are ideal for long-term, safe storage such as minefill or landfill. Solid storage of CO2 means that there is no need for pipeline transport, injection, or concern about CO2 re-release, as with other CO2 capture and sequestration technologies.
http://skyonic.com/skymine/
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Sunken Garden Theater Renovation

http://sunkengardentheater.com/galle...m=1&gallery=1#
Photos from Martinez and Johnson Architecture

GREAT idea!!! Hope this comes to fruition!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 11:12 AM

nice

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:09 AM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 4:09 AM

Fyi....

Looks like residential is finally coming to La Cantera
Vaquero Bend is the name of the "street" that goes East at the entrance around phase II.
4 & 5 story mixed use, retail w/ apartments above, 322 apartments.... not a bad start to

Quote:
Application #: 1788290

Site Location: 6303 VAQUERO BEND 6175 N 1604 W
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78256-0000

Application Type: COMMERCIAL SINGLE BUILDING

Application Description: NEW FOUNDATION AND PODIUM FOR FUTURE 4 & 5 STORY MIXED-USE FACILITY WITH 322 APARTMENT UNITS, RETAIL SHELL SPACE & LEASING CENTER.
**GARAGE (PHASE I) BEING REVIEWED UNDER AP #1771747. LANDSCAPE AND IRRIGATION TO BE SUBMITTED UNDER BUILDING PACKAGE (PHASE III).**

5-16-12--ELECTRICAL PE SEAL APPROVED...INSTALLATION OF SERVICE LATERAL AND FEEDER CONDUITS, AND CONCRETE ENCASED ELECTRODE PORTION OF GROUNDING ELECTRODE SYSTEM ONLY...VLG *****(18 JUL 12) PER CONVERSATION WITH MS. KASTNER, PLANS WILL BE RELEASED TO CUSTOMER ON CONDITIONAL APPROVAL PENDING PLAT. C OF O WILL NOT BE RELEASED UNTIL PLAT HAS BEEN RECORDED.Ayork****CUSTOMER SET READY FOR PICK UP IN N-43 (NOTE:CONDITIOAL) ASO F7/18/12 (RL)

Occupancy Type: COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION

Work Type: NEW

Declared Valuation: 1830681

also, permit for garage was granted.... 5 story....

Quote:
Application #: 1771747

Site Location: 6303 VAQUERO BEND 6175 N 1604 W
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78256-0000

Application Type: COMMERCIAL SINGLE BUILDING

Application Description: NEW 5 STORY 159,615 SF PARKING GARAGE (PHASE I) FOR FUTURE ADJACENT MIXED USE FACILITY TO INCLUDE 322 APARTMENT UNITS, RETAIL SHELL SPACE AND LEASING CENTER (PHASE II).
**PROJECT TO BE REVIEWED UNDER THE 2012 COSA CODES w/2011 NEC.**

*****REVIEWED UNDER THE 2012 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE W/ LOCAL AMENDMENTS.*****

3-12-12--ELECTRICAL PE SEAL APPROVED....FIRE PUMP REMOVED FROM THIS PHASE TO BE ADDED TO APARTMENT BUILDING PERMIT....VLG ***NO COFO UNTIL ENGINEERED DRAWINGS-TILT WALL, FLOOR/ROOF TRUSSES,TOWER, STEEL STAIRS SUBMITTED TO PLAN REVIEW. ALSO, HOLD FOR APPROVED AND RECORDED PLAT. MVG 4/19/12.*****CUSTOMER SET READY FOR PICK UP IN IN N-43 AS OF 7/18/12 (RL)

Occupancy Type: COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION

Work Type: NEW

Declared Valuation: 3294147

cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 30, 2012 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 3:55 PM
Paradise

4 and 5 stories is actually pretty good. I hope that denser projects catch on in that area.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 7:25 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

With eilan and the ricchi selling so well in that area (eilan and the rim) it was only a matter of time before USAA jump on board with residential units for la Cantera.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:36 AM
Paradise

Drake Commercial updated the map of the SE corner of the La Cantera area. I haven't heard of the 344 and 352 units under construction in that area.

http://www.drakecommercial.com/files...-package-2.pdf

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:09 PM

Those two projects have been turning dirt for a while now. They both have a couple of buildings up now with sticks up all around the lots. Pretty disappointing for that area and any hopes for any real type of "urban-like" walkable development that the initial plans called for.

Also a rendering of the Residences at La Cantera, the new apartments which will have some kind of resemblance of a walkable place. Got it of of prnewswire....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...166023806.html
Quote:
SAN ANTONIO, Aug. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- USAA Real Estate Co. is pleased to announce the groundbreaking of The Residences at La Cantera, a high-end, urban-style project featuring 323 units of Class A multi-family dwellings and 4,000 square feet of amenity retail space. Located at 6215 Via La Cantera, the project sits on five acres adjacent to the newest phase of The Shops of La Cantera in San Antonio, Texas. The property will be developed in partnership with Cambridge Development Group of Houston and will mark the third partnership with the developers following two highly successful projects.

The Residences at La Cantera is the first phase of the multi-phase Town Center at La Cantera mixed use development, which will include future phases of hotel, office, amenity retail and additional multi-family. The first phase will include a 3-acre park that will serve as the public heart of the Town Center, featuring a vibrant urban plaza, great lawn, adventure playground, a lush wet pond and picnic areas shaded by preserved live oak trees. A cistern will be constructed adjacent to the wet pond to collect the condensate water from the buildings to responsibly and sustainably provide water for the pond and irrigate the park.
The Town Center at La Cantera will be intertwined with a network of San Antonio-area trails linking urban parks and preserved natural greenways and providing an inviting system that will connect to the City's planned Leon Creek Hike & Bike Trail.

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1kJfc)
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:41 PM
Paradise

Is there any renderings of what the buildings are supposed to look like? That's too bad if they're not going to do any urban style developments because you would think with Eilan, and now the Residences at La Cantera(which looks pretty good for the 'burbs), they would carry on with the density.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Is there any renderings of what the buildings are supposed to look like? That's too bad if they're not going to do any urban style developments because you would think with Eilan, and now the Residences at La Cantera(which looks pretty good for the 'burbs), they would carry on with the density.
What buildings? The two developments u/c right now? Imagine the apartments down the street on Vance Jackson....... just suburban style apartments. A great place for cars to live, not too nice for walking humans.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:14 AM

Panel OKs deal tied to 150 jobs, 50 acres

Quote:
By Valentino Lucio
Wednesday,September 12, 2012

The San Antonio Planning Commission approved a measure Wednesday that recommends the sale of nearly 50 acres of city-owned land to a San Antonio company that plans to create up to 150 jobs in the coming years.

Tyren Corp., which deals in carbon emission storage and waste treatment, is looking to buy six parcels that total 48.6 acres at Old U.S. 90 and Texas 151 for the construction of two buildings there, according to background information provided in the Planning Commission agenda.

Plans call for the first structure to be a 100,000-square-foot building estimated to cost about $13 million, the documents state. Building materials known as insulated concrete form, an energy-efficient building product, will be manufactured there. It's unclear when construction

Plans for the second building were not shared in the planning documents.

Per the agreement, the company plans to hire 50 employees in the first year, with an expectation for that number to triple over the next three years. Those jobs will pay a livable wage, according to the documents.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...es-3860776.php

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 12:38 PM

Not sure if anyone's seen or posted this video rendering of the proposed Asian Town Center near Helotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ilA-RgGRg

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:40 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Not sure if anyone's seen or posted this video rendering of the proposed Asian Town Center near Helotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ilA-RgGRg
Because when I think of Bandera/1604, the first thing I think of is Asian... (?)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Because when I think of Bandera/1604, the first thing I think of is Asian... (?)
Statistics show that that area is near the epicenter of a large concentration of SA's Asian population.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:11 AM

According to the SA Bizjournal, Methodist is joining the current children's hospital boom in SA with a $110 million dolla expansion which includes an 8-story, 150 bed tower wing addition to their current medical children's facility in the medical center. They will also rename/brand it the Children's Hospital of South Texas.

This will go along with the two stand alone hospitals planned and under construction.

Christus Santa Rosa's downtown hospital, renamed Children's Hospital of San Antonio and the CHoP, Baptist 350 million dollar medical center hospital.

Here is a new rendering of the downtown Children's Hospital of San Antonio.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...push-is-a.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Statistics show that that area is near the epicenter of a large concentration of SA's Asian population.
It may have a large concentration of SA's Asian population, but I think the point sakyle04 was trying to make was that it is hardly a large concentration of the OVERALL population. If it were, we would already see the "Asian" (pretty vague) dominated strip centers, etc. So calling it an Asian Town Center is pretty bold and optimistic. I'd be okay with them calling it a Town Center developed by Asians, a Town Center with Asian-inspired design, or just a plain-old Town Center, and if this large concentration of "Asians" occupy a majority of the Town Center, or if the store fronts contain lettering of the hundreds of "Asian" languages spoken to accommodate the huge influx of immigrants from Asian countries that will magically appear and live in/near this Town Center, then I'll consider this an Asian Town Center.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
It may have a large concentration of SA's Asian population, but I think the point sakyle04 was trying to make was that it is hardly a large concentration of the OVERALL population. If it were, we would already see the "Asian" (pretty vague) dominated strip centers, etc. So calling it an Asian Town Center is pretty bold and optimistic. I'd be okay with them calling it a Town Center developed by Asians, a Town Center with Asian-inspired design, or just a plain-old Town Center, and if this large concentration of "Asians" occupy a majority of the Town Center, or if the store fronts contain lettering of the hundreds of "Asian" languages spoken to accommodate the huge influx of immigrants from Asian countries that will magically appear and live in/near this Town Center, then I'll consider this an Asian Town Center.
I think you're digging too deep. It's a development proposed by the Asian Alliance that is aimed at an Asian demographic. Having an issue with the name of the development makes no sense IMO.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I think you're digging too deep. It's a development proposed by the Asian Alliance that is aimed at an Asian demographic. Having an issue with the name of the development makes no sense IMO.
I agree. My understanding is the Helotes area has one of (if not the) the highest concentrations of pan-Asian citizens in the city. You may not notice it, but they're there. So if you're going to build a project aimed at a demographic, naturally you'll put it where you already have a good concentration instead of a place where nobody goes.

I think the Alamo Asian Chamber of Commerce and the Chinese Chamber are working to create a more visible mass of Asians, which in turn attracts more. Personally, I think it's a great idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio