HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Good find! Very interesting read.

Edit: I remember where I originally read about the land being too unstable to support the massive yards - in one of Jim Blanchard's Winnipeg History books, "Winnipeg 1912: Diary of a City".
Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Is this what you were thinking of? Its an engineering presentation from 2003 on the jacking up of the silo's and the soil conditions.

http://www.cgs.ca/pdf/110928%20Intro...d%20papers.pdf

And here are pictures of the work being done;

http://www.cgs.ca/pdf/110916%20Skaft..._MINIMIZED.pdf
Yep, that's it. Good find - a lot of interesting pictures in that second document!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:22 AM

So I heard there was an open house about the extension from Main to McPhillips today. Anyone attend?

I heard some pretty typical things like, more at-grade light intersections along the typical no flyovers, interchanges or any kind of bridges.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:53 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
So I heard there was an open house about the extension from Main to McPhillips today. Anyone attend?

I heard some pretty typical things like, more at-grade light intersections along the typical no flyovers, interchanges or any kind of bridges.
What intersections would be required for CPT between Main and McPhillips?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
What intersections would be required for CPT between Main and McPhillips?
Only ferrier st

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:37 PM

What about Main and McPhillips themselves? Those are intersections too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 3:02 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What about Main and McPhillips themselves? Those are intersections too.
The at-grade already exists at Main St so the only new intersection would be at McPhillips. Not a big deal IMO.

Given the number of intersections and the amount of traffic down Leila, I am sure many would happily take another intersection at McPhillips to be able to avoid Leila/Partridge and Main.

Ferrier was mentioned but given that it is really only needed to service Armtec, I am sure that there could be other access made to that business without crossing CPT.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 3:18 PM

If there are going to be any interchanges built on CPT, I'd say it would be best to put one up at Lagimodiere so as to improve two high(ish) speed routes with one such project.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:47 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I didn't know there was an open house. Had I known, I could have went.

From what I can tell, it's going to be a simple extension. Not sure how they can incorporate Ferrier St. onto CPT, but the only new intersection would be onto McPhillips. Although the CP Rail Gimli (formerly Riverton) line would be an interesting thing to see if they can flyover it or not, and I'm guessing they may not, since it's not a busy line.

As for interchanges, I think it would make sense if there were diamond interchanges for the long term. Perhaps a flyover diamond interchange on Main St, Henderson Hwy flying over CPT as a diamond interchange, along with Gateway, and an interchange of some sort for CPT and Lagimodiere.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:58 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I believe there is a variance application out there to fully develop the area north of Murray between the tracks and McPhillips.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 4:31 PM

Sorry for off topic but its in the general vicenity.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind maintaing the name Templeton for seperate streets on either side of McPhillips. Like they are block or more out of line. Why not just use a different name.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:25 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but I believe there is a variance application out there to fully develop the area north of Murray between the tracks and McPhillips.
Slight correction - the area south of Murray, between McPhillips and McGregor.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

That is a big piece of land. What kind of development, residential?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That is a big piece of land. What kind of development, residential?
Commercial/retail, Costco is rumoured to be one of the players involved.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ah, thanks. I got it second hand from my dad and haven't gone searching for it yet, so I was hoping someone would correct me if I was off.

Strange - I was certain he said the notice he saw had a bunch of housing lots.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

Really - McPhillips and McGregor? I can't imagine it'll be long before McGregor to the tracks is filled in as well.
I believe that is industrial land owner by one of the businesses near by.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Awesome. This will bring at least one future signalized intersection to the Chief Peguis extension.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:18 PM

So I wonder who got the notice that there was an open house for the west extension. Just put an ad in the Times maybe?

Seems for a project of this stature, there should be something put out to a wider area. Like on the news or Free Press or something. I know many a people in Transcona , or basically east of the river, that would use this route twice daily. Just like I use Bishop twice daily, but would never get a notice about an open house.

Seems like the City is just doing the bare minimum and then saying "Well look we did public consultations. Look, look. We gave you an opportunity, so now you can't complain."

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So I wonder who got the notice that there was an open house for the west extension. Just put an ad in the Times maybe?

Seems for a project of this stature, there should be something put out to a wider area. Like on the news or Free Press or something. I know many a people in Transcona , or basically east of the river, that would use this route twice daily. Just like I use Bishop twice daily, but would never get a notice about an open house.

Seems like the City is just doing the bare minimum and then saying "Well look we did public consultations. Look, look. We gave you an opportunity, so now you can't complain."
The City does a crap job notifying people about projects, zoning changes, open houses and that sort of thing. The media only ever picks up on it if it's something they hope will be controversial, like rapid transit.

By contrast, Edmonton runs a 2-page spread in the paper once a week that tells you exactly what's happening across the city. Why not do the same in the Freep, Sun and Metro? Or even present the info in a similar fashion on the City's website... have a "notices" section that cuts through the information overload on Winnipeg.ca and just tells you about time-sensitive things like zoning changes and open houses over the next two weeks.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The City does a crap job notifying people about projects, zoning changes, open houses and that sort of thing. The media only ever picks up on it if it's something they hope will be controversial, like rapid transit.

By contrast, Edmonton runs a 2-page spread in the paper once a week that tells you exactly what's happening across the city. Why not do the same in the Freep, Sun and Metro? Or even present the info in a similar fashion on the City's website... have a "notices" section that cuts through the information overload on Winnipeg.ca and just tells you about time-sensitive things like zoning changes and open houses over the next two weeks.
That would be amazing. It gets tedious trying to keep on top of open houses and the like when you need to browse every form of media trying to find them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan