HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 11:09 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ for trans-border travel, I doubt Winnipeg competes at all with American airports.

As for the amount of high income and head office jobs, currently Winnipeg has zero trans-border options daily and Calgary has 6. Certainly Calgary doesn't have 6 times more of either of these people or jobs compared to Winnipeg.

Really? I would have thought that 6x would be an underestimate, if anything. Certainly in the legal industry, which I'm familiar with, there would easily be 6 times as many people in Calgary making, say, $300k or more (or whatever figure you'd want to choose as high income).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 12:03 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
As an illustrative point, average family income in Winnipeg in 2005 was $61,600, whereas Calgary was $75,400. That extra income could indicate a 'tipping point' in accessing travel.

I would say (and this would just be a guess) that those numbers are not very valid anymore. Manitoba only really started to take off in terms of growth (both economic and population wise) in 2004 - 2005. We are now much better off than we were in 2005.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 4:59 PM
The Loyal Opposition

WestJet to add 11 new routes

CALGARY — The Canadian Press
Last updated on Wednesday, Jul. 08, 2009 12:00PM EDT

WestJet (WJA-T10.29-0.31-2.92%) to add 11 new destinations in U.S. and Caribbean next winter, biggest single expansion for airline.

More to come.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1210774/

Hopefully, Winnipeg gets one or more of those new routes. No info yet indicating specifics (from what city, to what city) about the new routes.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 5:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

all calgary i bet

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 6:01 PM
Capitalist

New airport terminal goes big on Manitoba
Decidedly hometown flavour for retailers and restaurants
By: Murray McNeill

For air travellers arriving home, they'll be reminders of why it's good to be back. And for those flying out, they'll be reminders of what they'll be missing while they're gone.

On Tuesday, Winnipeg Airports Authority unveiled 13 of the 21 restaurants and retailers that will be setting up shop next year in its spanking new international airport terminal. And the lineup has a decidedly Manitoba flavour, with five iconic Winnipeg eateries and retailers.

For those pining for a classic taste of Winnipeg, they can grab a Sals nip at the Salisbury House of Canada outlet, a savoury sandwich from Stella's Cafe & Bakery, or a cheese and pepperoni pizza from Gondola Pizza.

And for those looking for a distinctly Manitoba gift, how about Miriam Toews' latest novel from the McNally Robinson Booksellers store, or a doll from the Toad Hall Toys shop.

There will also be plenty of recognizable names for non-local travellers who prefer to stick with something more familiar, such as gourmet coffee from Starbucks or Tim Hortons, golf gear from PGA Tour Shops, or a meal from T.G.I. Fridays.

They're also be at least eight other restaurant and retail operations to choose from, although they haven't been selected yet by the two international firms that hold the master concession contracts for the new Richardson International Airport terminal -- SSP Canada, which is overseeing the food and beverage concessions, and The Paradies Shops, overseeing the retail operations.

They'll include four news-and-gifts shops and a number of vending-machine and retail kiosk operators.

The five Winnipeg-based operators unveiled at Tuesday's news conference were all hand-picked by SSP Canada and The Paradies Shops to give travellers a good taste of what Winnipeg is all about.

Officials for four of the operators who were on hand Tuesday said they were thrilled to have been selected.

"This will be a pretty high-class building," Stella's owner Tore Sohlberg said in an interview.

McNally Robinson spokesman Chris Hall and Toad Hall manager Kari England said they're looking forward to the added exposure an airport outlet will give their family owned businesses.

"Lots of people have still not been inside a McNally Robinson store, so this will be an opportunity to introduce ourselves to a lot more people," Hall said. "It's both a store and an advertisement of sorts."

"Not everybody when they visit the city goes to the downtown area or necessarily seeks out the local businesses," England said. "So I'm thrilled. I think it's a unique opportunity for us."

Salisbury House CEO Earl Barish said an airport concession is a natural progression for the locally owned restaurant chain, which in recent years has opened concession stands or kiosks in a number of hospitals, golf courses and sports venues, including Canwest Global Park and Canad Inns stadium.

"It's part of our new thrust," Barish said, adding the kiosks and concession stands nicely complement the chain's full-service restaurants.

Because air travellers spend a lot more time in the post-security area than they used to, the bulk of the retail and restaurant outlets will be located in that part of the new terminal and therefore won't be available to the non-travelling public.

The exceptions will be Stella's, Tim Hortons, two of the news and gift shops, and some of the vending machines and retail kiosks.

Sohlberg said he was relieved to hear that Stella's restaurant will be located in the public area. That way anyone can pop in for a bite.

WAA CEO Barry Rempel also updated the media and invited guests on the status of the WAA's $572-million airport redevelopment, which got underway in 2005 and includes construction of the 549,000-square-foot terminal, new aircraft parking pads and taxiways, new public roadways, a 1,600-stall parkade, and upgrades to the central powerhouse.

He said the total project is about two-thirds complete, and by this time next year the terminal should also be in the final stages of construction.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

They're the lucky 13
Here are 13 restaurant and retail outlets that will be setting up shop in Winnipeg's new international airport terminal, expected to open late next year:

Local operators:

Salisbury House of Canada, best known for its Sals nips (hamburgers), hot dogs, french fries and pastries.

Gondola Pizza, known for its pizzas, pasta dishes, ribs, chicken wings and salads.

Stella's Cafe & Bakery, which specializes in home-made breads, cinnamon buns, soups, sandwiches, salads and desserts.

McNally Robinson Booksellers, a full-service bookstore known for carrying a broad selection of titles from local authors.

Toad Hall Toys, an "old-world" toy shop whose products include exquisite dolls, miniature puppets, musical toys, science kits, and arts and crafts supplies.

National and international operators:

Starbucks Coffee, an international specialty coffee/restaurant chain.

Tim Hortons Inc., Canada's largest specialty coffee/restaurant chain.

T.G.I. Friday's, a U.S.-based, family-restaurant chain.

Rice Tales, a contemporary Asian, quick-serve, restaurant chain offering a variety of Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Filipino dishes.

Upper Crust Bakery, a U.K.-based chain best known for its freshly baked French baguettes. Also carries an extensive selection of gourmet salads and fresh pastries.

PGA Tour Shops, a U.S.-based retailer offering both men's and women's golf and leisure apparel and accessories.

Rosetta Stone, one of the world's leading language companies that sells specialty CDs and other computer-based language-learning products.

CNBC News, which offers in-store broadcasts of CNBC business news programs and carries a broad range of traditional newsstand products, including books, magazines and convenience items.

-- Source: SSP Canada and The Paradise Shops

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 8, 2009 B6

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 6:12 PM
Capitalist

I am looking forward having our own Upper Crust Bakery.... it will be a really nice outlet for our new airport.

I am also happy that the new terminal will have a highend business/news outlet. The CNBC News I have been to have been very nice places to shop and makes a popular shop for the business traveler and casual traveler alike.

I wish downtown Winnipeg had a few of the shops listed for the airport, including TGI Fridays. A great chain which I have visited in a few different US cities, including the flagship on the Magficient Mile in Chicago and have always enjoyed them.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 7:03 PM

most importantly: will the ARCADE be present in the new terminal???

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 7:15 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
most importantly: will the ARCADE be present in the new terminal???

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 7:20 PM

TGI Fridays in Minneapolis Airport SUCKS bad, but your right it's a "chain" that some folks would love to see.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 9:37 PM

seriously, the airport arcade is one of the last in the city, which is pretty sad.

if i ever come across a winning lottery ticket, i'm opening up an arcade on selkirk avenue.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 9:58 PM
the first stamp is free

^ better get good fire insurance... assuming you can get insurance at all.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
TGI Fridays in Minneapolis Airport SUCKS bad, but your right it's a "chain" that some folks would love to see.
concur in full.. luckily the 'surf bar' was open.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
seriously, the airport arcade is one of the last in the city, which is pretty sad.

if i ever come across a winning lottery ticket, i'm opening up an arcade on selkirk avenue.

:O dude i know the perfect building to the old theater and hell u could have them done up for dimes lol the kids would eat that up and have free game days and all sorts of fun stuff u would have one hell of a hit but the kids would be a bit ruff on some of the stuff as kids are

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ better get good fire insurance... assuming you can get insurance at all.
if the kids are having fun they aint guna burn the place down

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 12:30 PM

there's still "sorta" arcades in Silver City St. Vital and Polo Park that I'm familiar with.

I miss the days of catching the #16 bus from Southdale and going to "Las Vegas Amusements" on Hargrave, across from the bay. That was one shady place of a pool hall. MagicLand on Portage was a good time too. And I was 12 -14 at the time. Don't think kids under 15 nowadays are allowed to leave Mommy side

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a pool hall still there with a small arcade called vaughn st billiards i went there a couple times in highschool with my friends and rednted a table for couple hrs

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 4:42 PM
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if the kids are having fun they aint guna burn the place down
Dude, it's Selkirk Avenue and in the North End; chances are there will be a fire within a 20 m radius within the first month of the place if it opens.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 5:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Dude, it's Selkirk Avenue and in the North End; chances are there will be a fire within a 20 m radius within the first month of the place if it opens.
dumpster fires yea...... if the area was so bad for buring things down though there would be no buildings left on selkirk

dude shuv the atitude up ur ass though thats why the north end has problems people go eh its the north end to much and just let the problems fester rather then do somthing about it thuse we have kids who don't care

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 5:41 PM
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
dumpster fires yea...... if the area was so bad for buring things down though there would be no buildings left on selkirk

dude shuv the atitude up ur ass though thats why the north end has problems people go eh its the north end to much and just let the problems fester rather then do somthing about it thuse we have kids who don't care
I might take you seriously if you could actually spell. BTW, take your post and shove it up your ass

Anywho, back to the topic at hand. I get more and more excited about the airport opening; it can only mean more opportunity for Winnipeg and Manitoba. I really like the "Made in Winnipeg" flavor of the restaurants of choice.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 5:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no you

anyhow

what about gunss though nothing says winnipeg more then gunns

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan